Monk Impersonator Run Out Of Town

Lite Beer

Monk impersonator run out of town
Phuket Gazette -

KHORAT: A shambolic fake monk recently attracted the suspicions of local people in Nakhon Ratchasima Province – and the attention of the police – by trying to collect alms in the afternoon.

Villagers called officers at Phimai Police Station to investigate a man who claimed to be a monk, but was improperly dressed, collecting alms late and sometimes even asking for money instead of food.

At Phimai Irrigation Reservoir, police found the scruffy figure of Sawaeng Prasertnu, 36.

Mr Sawaeng was wearing a monk’s inner garment and trousers – both completely different shades of brown – but had not wrapped himself in an outer robe, as Thai monks are required to do.

Lt Phonphawi Sutsawaeng, deputy inspector of Phimai Police Station, searched the errant clergyman, but failed to find any evidence that he had been ordained.

Mr Sawaeng told the officer he had been a monk for one year already at a temple in Nakhon Phanom Province.

However, he told Lt Phonphawi that he couldn’t remember the name of the monk he was studying under.

He said he was travelling around the country because he didn’t like staying at the temple, preferring to move from place to place on his own.

The only problem was that sometimes he couldn’t find a place in the shade to rest, he said.

Local villagers all told Lt Phonphawi the same thing: that the supposed monk showed up to collect alms in the late morning or even as late as 2-3pm.

Monks in Thailand usually collect alms in the early morning and do not eat after noon.

Sometimes Mr Sawaeng would even ask for money, saying that he did so because he was not allowed to accept food in the afternoon.

Officers tried to take Mr Sawaeng to a local temple to have the abbot verify whether or not he was actually a monk, but he refused to get into the police car.

The police had to grab him by his legs and pull him into the vehicle.

But when they got to the temple, the abbot was busy with a ceremony, so they could not verify if Mr Sawaeng was a real monk.

They settled for another solution: they drove him out of Phimai District and told him he would be arrested if he ever returned.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/queernews/2013/Monk-impersonator-run-out-of-town-20905.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-04-28

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Phronesis

Obviously you have not been in Thailand long and to ridicule the Bhikkhu Sangha with words like "other freeloading monks"

And as the story said "they could not verify if Mr Sawaeng was a real monk". (or not)

They are freeloading. All of them. Take food off the poor so they can sit in the shade all day reading books under the pretence that the poor hardworking public will come back to the next life as a slug or a sewer rat if they don't. Its a despicable practice.

Mr Kananga,

You read a story of a guy going around wearing a monks robes trying to scam people and then with one swoop of your key board you accuse all monks of scamming? or am I reading your post wrong?

The one point missed out is::

that if giving a monk some food (alms) brings those people happiness and contentment who are you to judge because of your lack of understanding what monks are required to do.

Fact:: Most westerners in Thailalnd no NOTHING of the true teachings of Buddhism!!

Edited by daak
  • Like 2

Obviously, you and Mr Phronesis don't understand what monks do.

Enlighten me. Please tell us what they do to deserve a free life?

For example, giving pastoral care, helping people with bereavement, conducting funerals, or blessing people and objects...

• Like 2

His scruffy clothing didn't match? Shock horror! He didn't want to live in a temple? Shock horror! Didn't these cops ever hear of Diogenes the Dog? BTW what right did these cops have to drag him int a car?

So they could run him out of town. The locals have complained,, the cops have responded,, the problem has been sorted... I wish we could do things like this in Australia. Especially to religious freaks that are professional bludgers.

• Like 1

Mr Phronesis

Obviously you have not been in Thailand long and to ridicule the Bhikkhu Sangha with words like "other freeloading monks"

And as the story said "they could not verify if Mr Sawaeng was a real monk". (or not)

They are freeloading. All of them. Take food off the poor so they can sit in the shade all day reading books under the pretence that the poor hardworking public will come back to the next life as a slug or a sewer rat if they don't. Its a despicable practice.

Mr Kananga,

You read a story of a guy going around wearing a monks robes trying to scam people and then with one swoop of your key board you accuse all monks of scamming? or am I reading your post wrong?

The one point missed out is::

that if giving a monk some food (alms) brings those people happiness and contentment who are you to judge because of your lack of understanding what monks are required to do.

Fact:: Most westerners in Thailalnd no NOTHING of the true teachings of Buddhism!!

Fact:: Most Thais no nothing of the true teachings of Buddhism either.

Well now that may or may not be true. But the one fact that is for sure is most foreigners know nothing about the monks life's.

They have no idea of what you can receive in a Temple from the monks. They just transfer there dislike of religion in general and put it on a personal basis based on one point in the life's of monks.

I highly doubt on one of the nay sayers here could survive one week living like a monk.

• Like 1

Enlightenment:: Live (ordain as a Monk) in a Practicing Buddhist Temple for 3 months( or more). Then come back and take up the conversation.

Why would I want to do that? Spend 3 months clock watching with a load of kids who are only doing it because their family forced them into it thinking it would bring them 'luck'. Kids who while not reciting mindless chants are sneaking out to smoke, play in internet cafes and make out with girls. No thanks. I'm an adult with responsibilities.

Just answer the question, unless you can't of course...

• Like 1

They are only given food because people have been told they won't 'gain merit' if they don't. It's manipulation of the uneducated masses and has no place in the 21st century. As for intolerance of religion I am intolerant to all religions as they are all bullshit. As for promoting pease does Thailand appear to be a peaceful, crime free utopia to you? Daily news reports of corruption, murder, violence, rape and theft would lead one to believe otherwise. In fact the top 5 countries in the world for quality of life, rule of law have the highest number of atheist and agnostics among ther population.

And two of them have the highest number of people per capita behind bars in jails.

Which two would that be?

Getting up before dawn could be a stumbling block.

Well now that may or may not be true. But the one fact that is for sure is most foreigners know nothing about the monks life's.

They have no idea of what you can receive in a Temple from the monks. They just transfer there dislike of religion in general and put it on a personal basis based on one point in the life's of monks.

I highly doubt on one of the nay sayers here could survive one week living like a monk.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if I come across rude but your reply give absolutely nothing in the way of information. WHat can you receive in a temple from the monks? How exactly does a week in the life of a monk go thats so impossible for the rest of us?

Actually its the monks who wouldnt survive a week if it wasnt for the general public feeding them every morning so they'll get some hocus pocus good luck bullshit in return. But as long as they feel good about it and the temples are all shiny and nice then I guess that makes it all allright then.

• Like 1

They only do that so they can get out and get the rich pickings off the poor deluded public. I'm up at 5:30 every day for a brisk jog round Lumpini and there are lots of people up and out at that time. Mostly the Thai Chinese I grant you as they seem to be the only people in the country who get any exercise, but there are a lot of people up before dawn who then go on to do a full day's work, raise a family etc...

the abbot was busy with a ceremony, so they could not verify if Mr Sawaeng was a real monk

It was something longer than divining lottery numbers, then. rolleyes.gif

Your deep insight is most appreciated. smile.png

• Like 1

Obviously, you and Mr Phronesis don't understand what monks do.

For example, giving pastoral care, helping people with bereavement, conducting funerals, or blessing people and objects...

Blessing people or objects? And that serves what purpose exactly? To ward off the evil spirits and that they made up in the first place? Just goes to prove my point.

"Here, you better give me some free food or I wont say a magic spell and bad things will happen to you".

Its criminal.

"Here, you better give me some free food or I wont say a magic spell and bad things will happen to you".

Its criminal.

What law books have you been reading to make this assertion?

Edited by Morakot

Last I heard they were given food they didn't take it away, and since it is thier religion they don't seem to complain. I really doubt the "poor hard working public" are giving thier last meal and starving for it. What is despicable is your denigration and intolerance of thier religion. Compared to others it seems to be worthy and promotes peace, not a bad thing. When is the last time one of them flew a plane into a building in the name of Buddha.And I have rarely seen many Thais who didn't have enough to eat, even the "poor" ones.

I am not siding with the person whom you are responding to but your post is simplistic and far too broad.

As with many other religions, there are LOTS of poor people giving money to wealthy temples and the are even monks who get wealth and power in part from the contributions of the poor.

Furthermore, I won't speak for the poster you have addressed but there is a significant difference between criticizing the practice of a religion, some or even all it's adherents, an organized religious institution, or all of the preceding and criticizing a religion itself. In other words, on paper Buddhism may or may not be worthy of respect but that certainly doesn't mean all Buddhists or what it has manifested automatically is.

Why compare to others? Just because one thing is not as bad as another, does that mean it's perfect or beyond criticism? If someone denounced drunk drivers would you say they shouldn't because serial killers are worse? To support this odd relativism, you cite something that happened once - the worst and most extreme act by a TINY sampling of a particular religious group. And you also fail recognize that neither Hindus, Jews, Christians, or ANY OTHER religious adherents have flown planes into buildings - so much for that as being an indication of Buddhism being somehow better.

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 2

Its criminal.

Religion and Morality by Avi Sagi and Daniel Statman. Its criminal from a moral standpoint.

Its criminal.

Religion and Morality by Avi Sagi and Daniel Statman. Its criminal from a moral standpoint.

That's rather funny you refer to a work in moral philosophy on the the relationship between ethics and divinity. Btw, making "magic spell" is hardly related to a meaningful theological frame that would provide any base for such a discussion.

If you think that giving alms to monks is immoral than you should definitely not do this.

Edited by Morakot