Poll: Are You Considering Learning The Some Of The Russian Language?

Jingthing

Opportunity Knocks: Pattaya Russian Speaking Hub  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just looking at this poll and see that almost half of the respondents "strongly don't want to learn any Russian, ever". Says a lot about the TV crowd.

I already imagine the responses to this question: If you were fluent in Thai and at least five other languages AND had infinite resources and time, would you learn Russian? ... Never? :crying:

Because the majority of our fellow TV members are native English speakers and strongly resist in learning any other language

Breviet is pronounced as the English sounds Bree -- Vee-- Et. ---- could also be Pree -- vee -- et, depending on origin. The viet at the end is the first syllable in Vietnam. It basically means hello. But nobody has answered my question about Siberia ??

Breviet is pronounced as the English sounds Bree -- Vee-- Et. ---- could also be Pree -- vee -- et, depending on origin. The viet at the end is the first syllable in Vietnam. It basically means hello. But nobody has answered my question about Siberia ??

Because it's so bloody cold and isolated that you'd be learning a foreign language in a great hurry to escape the clutches of mother Russia.:P

Can somebody please explain to me, why the Russians who speak the best English, seem to invariably come from Siberia. It's quite a mystery ---- roughly 8 in 10 English speakers from Russia seem to be from Siberia --- very very strange ?????

Oh and breviet to our Russian friends

Because that's where all the intellectuals were sent.

Because it's so bloody cold and isolated that you'd be learning a foreign language in a great hurry to escape the clutches of mother Russia.tongue.png

Because that's where all the intellectuals were sent.

Thank you for two reasonable answers. However, the Siberians I asked did not know, and never mentioned either reason ----- so it's still a mystery.

Don't think Alaska --- none of them mentioned it either, nor did they mention shipping or oil workers, or anything at all.

I suspect from alternative research, it may be something to do with literature (maybe Shakespeare etc), or culture as in Hollywood, rock and roll etc. But I don't want to prejudge the issue, and really would like to know.

On one occasion, a few years ago, I happened to be having a conversation with a Russian about the USSR/CCCP and which countries remained with Russia. Out of the blue he said '' Siberia people very good people --- at the gates of Moscow in 1941, Russian people were dieing, starving, had no food and no way to keep warm. What can we do --- nothing --- then we call Siberia people, and they come. It was the Siberia people who beat the Prussians at the gates of Moscow''

What a different view of history ??

• 3 weeks later...

Just dropping a coin into the subject (as Russians would say when adding something to a discussion).

I am a Russian native speaker and obviously the only one who has admitted that so far.

Now, leaving alone marginal sorts of mates, one has to have a more or less strong motivation to intend or to want or to decide to learn a foreign language.

The lack of such (motivation) produces the respective level of the "linguistic ignorance" in a nation or a group of nations who speak a certain language. This is why the majority of the English native speakers (in the world) do not care about learning other languages, on one hand. There is no need to. And, on the other, that is why politically/culturally/geographically "isolated" nations, such as China, Japan, Korea, Russia, do not show high rates in foreign languages knowledge, including English. Whit this, I have a few brief conclusions:

*) An unmotivated English speaking individual will not wish to pick up any Russian unless he is forced into. The latter seems to be unlikely, at least so far:) This conclusion is proved by the results of the poll.

*) Russians. They are very much different. I mean the Russians in Moscow are different from the Russians in the Siberia. And the two are different from the Russians from anywhere else. And so on. It is interesting with the fact that we (the Russians) do not have dialects. At all. We speak a single language. There are regional accents which are not that obvious as those of, say, in the USA. The majority of the Russians we come across in Pattaya (a) come from the huge parts of the country (and remote places of it) that are to the East of the Urals and (cool.png are far from being the best specimen of the nation (the "best" ones do travel to Europe instead). So, you are unlikely to expect they would talk (nor behave) properly to you. Even in Russian:)

*) Davai (Russian for Come On) seasonally becomes typical for the Pattaya dialect of Thai to be addressed to any farang looking individual.

Edited by SamBacon

Jingthimg,

Are you just worried you will be on a baht bus with drunk Russians enjoying themselves that you feel the need to learn the language in case you get scared again.

Just a thought.

As has been said in previous posts, they should be learning to speak Thai, and if not at least some English. I have seen them in restaurants ordering food, and I laugh, it's the blind leading the blind, they are ordering what they want in Russian, wow, the staff are confused, I guess that's why they on,y eat in restaurants that have pictures in the menus, ie McDonald's, and it also probably explains why I see so many of them eating of stret BBQ" carts and they do seem to eat a lot of fruit.

They have stopped me in the past asking for directions and other than hello there English Vocabulary is as good as a 1 year old child, so I just send em to walking street regardless, if they find Bali hai there basically home.

Everyone knows and I'm sure everyone will agree, excluding Thai, English is the most spoken language in Pattaya.

My Thai is ok, but as for my French, Spanish, Italian etc... It's non existent (except for the obvious words, ie Bonjour...) but everyone I have met are able to speak English. Other than sticking a 1000 baht to there foreheads they would have big difficulties speaking there language to a Thai woman, they all speak English.

Edited by MrZM

Jingthimg,

Are you just worried you will be on a baht bus with drunk Russians enjoying themselves that you feel the need to learn the language in case you get scared again.

Is there a way to combine topics here at TV Pattaya sub forum, maybe?

Cos I'd like to respond to TV user MrZM about 'Learing Russian' and also post at the topic of 'Things That Grate You In Pattaya'

my combined post to 2 topics:

TV user MrZM grades me in Pattaya, more than anything else at the moment, and that includes road construction at Beach rd, thats is possibly highest level of annoyance possible in this town

Jingthimg,

Is there a way to combine topics here at TV Pattaya sub forum, maybe?

Cos I'd like to respond to TV user MrZM about 'Learing Russian' and also post at the topic of 'Things That Grate You In Pattaya'

my combined post to 2 topics:

TV user MrZM grades me in Pattaya, more than anything else at the moment, and that includes road construction at Beach rd, thats is possibly highest level of annoyance possible in this town

Awwww

Somebody having a bad day...

no MrZM, at the moment you grate me more than anything else in Pattaya.

I'm learning some Russian btw, to be able to hook up with handsome Russian dudes, that I see all over the place. Trouble is, Russian dudes always have their Russian girlfriends and something kids with them, than grates me a lot. But far less than TV user MrZM.

you did it!!

that is a clip I recorded and posted at YT a year ago. I fail to to see how that clip somehow redeems your fail at being a decent person.

Edited by valgehiir

Maybe they should be learning English the International language which enables those of us who are English to speak to non native English speakers such as Russians, Dutch, Americans, Australians etc. tongue.png

so niyet was my answer

the International language which enables those of us who are English to speak to non native English speakers such as Russians, Dutch, Americans, Australians etc.

and many more ...only with French does not work biggrin.png
Edited by Tchooptip

Honestly, Thais don't chat to strangers on baht buses nearly as much as RUSSIANS, yes, specifically RUSSIANS. I don't understand why a poll about RUSSIAN speakers invites people insisting on changing the subject to THAI language. I find that weird. The topic is clearly NOT about the many great reasons to learn Thai. That's a given. That's assumed. That's ANOTHER topic. Another topic that has ALREADY been done over 100 times, for sure.

I am learning Thai 16 hours every day blink.png​ ... and should I go in Russia ( not likely bah.gif) I would go on learning Thai while in Russia crazy.gif

but I love your polls anyway...

Edited by Tchooptip
  • Like 1

I lived in one of the FSU republics for four years and studied Russian. Basically, Russian is a quite difficult language and Rusians themselves are not the friendliest to strangers.

I would consider it a huge waste of time try to learn more than just a few token phrases.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1