Poll: Expats, Do You Reckon That You Will Be Living In Thailand 10 Years From Now?

Jingthing

364 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see myself splitting my time between Thailand and the US. Even better would be to have several overseas options, along with a few months in the US smile.png

Flexibility is the key, money only brings choice, if you choose to lock up all your assets in Thailand then you have denied yourself that choice.

To be where you want to be when you want to be there is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

I see myself splitting my time between Thailand and the US. Even better would be to have several overseas options, along with a few months in the US smile.png

Flexibility is the key, money only brings choice, if you choose to lock up all your assets in Thailand then you have denied yourself that choice.

To be where you want to be when you want to be there is a wonderful thing.

Very true but also keep in mind living like you at a bus station is not really a choice for me personally.

Migration is a really hard step in life, some manage to fit in well and others simply can not.

I voted in the poll (first time ever, JT) that I will almost definitely be here in Thailand in 10 years barring the totally unforeseen. Good health insurance both here in Thailand and soon in USA, retirement visa qualifying income per month, and I am never bored although sometimes just tired out. An extended but not legally binding family to look after me as I have already looked after them.

Jing....

If the only issue is the health care thing and you are only 55... Why not work as teacher or what ever for 1 yr to get into the Social Security system in Thailand?

Then quit and pay 432 thb per month and your covered for life...

I know your retired, but if you really really want to stay in Thailand and this is your only reason for leaving, then 1 yr working seems like a pretty easy fix

As don't need much.. Just work permit and SSI... Likely do not even care how low the salary is

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Yup, that's pretty straight forward. He would likely have to teach English or something in a Government school and make sure they sign him up for this, but that would fix almost all his concerns. However, he would have to go into the government hospital system, and without speaking Thai, it would be inconvenient, unless he has a Thai partner to help. I think they would even cover any existing conditions, and depending on the hospital, the level of care can be quite good.

Sheryl has covered this in the health care threads I believe. It is the one "loophole" most Farangs don't know about. wink.png

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 2

Please if you want to give me specific advice, PM me. The thread isn't my personal thing. It's for ALL expats. BTW, your advice is completely 100 percent irrelevant to me and not a possibility for me but again that is NOT the topic. Cheers.

I am shocked!!

You made it the topic in you're OP.

How it works is you do the poll, then you frame the poll in the OP, then we all answer what we want to answer irrespective of what you want or don't want and that's it.

I can't believe JT doesn't know how the General Forum works by now. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Oh dear; I voted yes and then noticed option six afterwards. In ten years time I will be 77 or option six....there again it could happen tomorrow so what the hell...I'll stick with yes !

You can change your vote. First click: Delete My Vote. Then, just vote with your new choice.

Oh dear; I voted yes and then noticed option six afterwards. In ten years time I will be 77 or option six....there again it could happen tomorrow so what the hell...I'll stick with yes !

You can change your vote. First click: Delete My Vote. Then, just vote with your new choice.

Nah; I'll hang around until it happens anyway...whenever.

I doubt I'll have the 15 million baht they require for a retirement visa when the Chinese and Russians so inundate the place and they keep raising the amount and the corrupt Russians and Chinese keep ponying up....

(And no, I did not say all Russians and Chinese are corrupt, just a small percentage. But a small percentage of a huge population is a big number and if all the corrupt ones moved to Thailand, there wouldn't be room for anyone else.)

Just to be clear, this poll is for expats, right, not immigrants?

It's for those of us that remain part of the diaspora of our home countries, rather than those who have successfully integrated with their host society, isn't it?

I suppose an interesting additional question would have been: In ten years, do you think you will have assimilated?

A: No

B: Chai

C: eeuuh

SC

• Like 1

I've been here nearly 5 years, I think I will still be happy living here for another 5 years plus, hard to say really.

I one of the few on this forum that loves it here.

do you recon you are still alive in 10 years time?

I am still relatively young and would like to move back home for a few years to be closer to family and then back to Thailand a bit later in life. Who knows for sure, with the US economy the way it is I find it easier to live a comfortable life here.

To Jing, all politics aside, I dont see how health care is going to be more affordable back in the states. The affordable care act (Obamacare) allows people to buy insurance policies through exchanges with subsidies but you still have upfront cost, deductibles, drug costs etc that are going to out pace the prices here.

Have you looked into "umbrella" insurance? This would cover you for the big things but not the small stuff which you would have to pay out of pocket. I remember back in the states I had rather good health insurance from a multinational corporation and my co-pays were still higher than what the average doctors visit here costs.

We may disagree on many things Jing, but I wish you the best of health and hope it doesnt come to you needing to leave Thailand.

• Like 1