High End, Full Featured Gym?

mobiryder

What about the other Tony's place on the dark side and one in Soi Buakhao? is that not airconditioned like the main one also?

No, neither of them are air conditioned.

What, you guys pay 8k for your lifetime memberships and you don't get air conditioning...I don't believe it! That Tony is making out like a bandit.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to the op, I don't think you're interested in a poop in the shower type gym, as are some people apparently are, this leaves you with the non-ponzi scheme gyms that charge annual memberships commensurate with the facilities and services they provide you. As you seem to be looking for something upscale, this basically leaves you with the hotel gyms, including Fairtex. Fairtex is somewhat unique in that it is built around their muay Thai training facilities, so the athletic facilities are comprehensive. Most of the other hotel gyms mentioned are more for the casual user and hotel guests. They are nice, especially Centara Mirage, but especially for someone interested in weight training, they lack a comprehensive set of equipment. They also tend to be quite expensive (for Thailand) at around US$ 1000 per year.

At Fairtex, on the other hand, the facilities, including weights, are comprehensive. Unless you train before or after work, it's rarely crowded, and contrary to what has been said by some, everything a strength training athlete would need is provided for. It may not look big but everything's there.

You could also check out Universe Gym on Sukhumvit. Haven't been there in years but used to have a good weight facilities but ambience is not upscale.

what amuses me is that some posters are putting themselves across as big hard core weight training types, but they are crying like little girls cos they dont have aircons in the gyms....big girls blouses the lot them....biggrin.png

Here we go again. Another hero (or troll) coming in with the "big boys don't need aircon" crap.

This has been done to death already on other threads.

Go away!

What about the other Tony's place on the dark side and one in Soi Buakhao? is that not airconditioned like the main one also?

No, neither of them are air conditioned.

What, you guys pay 8k for your lifetime memberships and you don't get air conditioning...I don't believe it! That Tony is making out like a bandit.

what amuses me is that some posters are putting themselves across as big hard core weight training types, but they are crying like little girls cos they dont have aircons in the gyms....big girls blouses the lot them....

Yes! I have worked out in freezing gyms in the U.K. with no heat and now I workout here in the heat, neither get in the way of my workout but I much prefer the heat. And how much gear do you need anyway? In my home gym up country I made weights for my cable machine out of a tree because I couldn't buy a weight plate over 10kg. So when I am in jomtien at tonys with no ac I am quite happy. Bottom line is that standard bodybuilding gyms that don't have extra paid for classes and cafe's etc have always struggled to make a profit, factor in running air conditioning all day and you lose even more.

They are nice, especially Centara Mirage, but especially for someone interested in weight training, they lack a comprehensive set of equipment. They also tend to be quite expensive (for Thailand) at around US$ 1000 per year.

Do you mean Centara Grand? If so, the memberships there are about 97,568.74 Japanese Yen per year.

what amuses me is that some posters are putting themselves across as big hard core weight training types, but they are crying like little girls cos they dont have aircons in the gyms....big girls blouses the lot them....biggrin.png

Here we go again. Another hero (or troll) coming in with the "big boys don't need aircon" crap.

Go away!

The big boys dont need aircon...they are suppose to be big roughy toughy hard core...Arnie would be very disappointed with them

I dont profess to be a hero or "a big boy" .......but I do attempt to go the gym as much as i can and where I go doesnt have aircon either but big fans blowing and its fine...so will stand by my comments...big girls blouses.

and on that note..it is actually time for me to go the gym..

Edited by Soutpeel

Go away!

The big boys dont need aircon...they are suppose to be big roughy toughy hard core...Arnie would be very disappointed with them

I dont profess to be a hero or "a big boy" .......but I do attempt to go the gym as much as i can and where I go doesnt have aircon either but big fans blowing and its fine...so will stand by my comments...big girls blouses.

Good for you. You can work up a sweat and then pretend you're training.

(Arnie didn't train in tropical conditions. First Austria, and then California. The gyms in the US have aircon.)

what amuses me is that some posters are putting themselves across as big hard core weight training types, but they are crying like little girls cos they dont have aircons in the gyms....big girls blouses the lot them....

Go away!

(Arnie didn't train in tropical conditions. First Austria, and then California. The gyms in the US have aircon.)

Venice beach didn't and neither did Vince's gym.

Go away!

Venice beach didn't and neither did Vince's gym.

Venice Beach is not airconditioned? What do you mean? The outdoor gym on the esplanade?

California has a comfortable climate with low humidity. I trained at Golds and Worlds Gym at Venice Beach for a week in late July and was comfortable.

Edited by tropo

Go away!

Move there then!

YEAH, CAL WOW is permanently closed! Now it's time to workout at True Fitness.

Sorry, Pattaya fans, no hope for the future!

Thank,Buddha for that...sorriest excuse for a gym I ever saw! And the music and their pesky ponzi scheme sales reps were a constant annoyance whenever I went shopping at Villa.

I need help.

Tony's sweat-tent is so hot so i can't complete my workout,

-i get exhausted from heat and lack of oxygen.

What time of the day or night is that place as coolest, or at least least hot ?

I need help. Tony's sweat-tent is so hot so i can't complete my workout, -i get exhausted from heat and lack of oxygen. What time of the day or night is that place as coolest, or at least least hot ?

I find it pleasant between 7pm and 9pm. They turn off the aircon at 9pm. Sometimes 15 minutes earlier. Both sides of the road are ok at that time. Sometimes the aircon is running well past 9pm in the plastic tent - perhaps the staff forget to turn it off.

I need help. Tony's sweat-tent is so hot so i can't complete my workout, -i get exhausted from heat and lack of oxygen. What time of the day or night is that place as coolest, or at least least hot ?

I find it pleasant between 7pm and 9pm. They turn off the aircon at 9pm. Sometimes 15 minutes earlier. Both sides of the road are ok at that time. Sometimes the aircon is running well past 9pm in the plastic tent - perhaps the staff forget to turn it off.

Plastic mack walls/windows and no conditioning...high-end indeed.

Meanwhile over at a real fitness club, Fairtex just installed 5 additional spanking new treadmills today...I thing I saw the Tony's truck in the parking lot picking up the old ones 55555

@tropo: thanks, i'll change my time :)

@OMG: thanks, i'll keep it in mind if i ever want to use treadmills :)

ed: looks like new lines dont work when i use no-script, but i dont have to see all the ads :)

Edited by poanoi

Plastic mack walls/windows and no conditioning...high-end indeed.

Meanwhile over at a real fitness club, Fairtex just installed 5 additional spanking new treadmills today...I thing I saw the Tony's truck in the parking lot picking up the old ones 55555

Are you trying to turn every post about Tony's into a pissing contest?

I'm not interested in treadmills. I don't like treadmills. Let me know when they bring in some brand new Cybex Arc Trainers (total body models) and I'll be there to join up just to use them. I'd gladly pay 9k per year for that.

Poanoi is a member of Tony's asking about when it's best to train there. I gave him the answer. That's all we needed.

I can assure you that the airconditioning at Tony's after dark is just as cool as Fairtex. They're very sparing with their aircon there too. It's one of the reasons I didn't want to join - but mainly because it's too small with limited equipment.

If you think Fairtex is a great gym, you don't know jack about gyms, period.

I can assure you that the airconditioning at Tony's after dark is just as cool as Fairtex. They're very sparing with their aircon there too. It's one of the reasons I didn't want to join - but mainly because it's too small with limited equipment.

And you found that out in just a single training session ?

I'm not interested in treadmills. I don't like treadmills. Let me know when they bring in some brand new Cybex Arc Trainers (total body models) and I'll be there to join up just to use them. I'd gladly pay 9k per year for that.

If you are not interested in treadmills, then why you want to pay 9000 Baht a year if they use a particular brand ?

So in your mind there is only 1 decent treadmill in the world and only 1 gym worth it's money in Pattaya. The one you use.

Ever considered that opinions may vary ?

• Like 1

>

If you are not interested in treadmills, then why you want to pay 9000 Baht a year if they use a particular brand ?

So in your mind there is only 1 decent treadmill in the world and only 1 gym worth it's money in Pattaya. The one you use.

If you're going to comment and try to make me look foolish, you should at least have a clue what you're talking about.

A Cybex Arc Trainer is nothing like a treadmill - not even close.

http://www.cybexintl.com/cross-trainers-770a-total-body-arc-trainer.aspx

That's the one I want. Costs over US $10,000, so not many gyms will have them.

Yes, I would pay 9k per year to use one. They're the best cardio machine on the planet. They have new ones at Centara Grand and Royal Cliff but their yearly memberships are 30 - 35k.

Needless to say, they don't have these at Tony's.

You should read some posts before you start making silly replies. I've never said that Tony's is any good for cardio - I've made it clear it stinks as far as cardio is concerned, but so does Fairtex.

I prefer walking in the park near my place than using a treadmill.

Are you suggesting that they had the aircon turned down low the time I trained there last July? I'll bet it was on the usual Thai settings - low.

Either way, it's quite cool in the main Tony's gym after sunset until they turn the aircon off at 9pm.

Edited by tropo

<

blockquote>

>

I'm not interested in treadmills. I don't like treadmills. Let me know when they bring in some brand new Cybex Arc Trainers (total body models) and I'll be there to join up just to use them. I'd gladly pay 9k per year for

that.

If you're going to comment and try to make me look foolish, you should at least have a clue what you're talking about.

Yes, I would pay 9k per year to use one. They're the best cardio machine on the planet. They have new ones at Centara Grand and Royal Cliff but their yearly memberships are 30 - 35k.

You should read some posts before you start making silly replies. I've never said that Tony's is any good for cardio - I've made it clear it stinks as far as cardio is concerned, but so does Fairtex.

Are you suggesting that they had the aircon turned down low the time I trained there last July? I'll bet it was on the usual Thai settings - low.

Either way, it's quite cool in the main Tony's gym after sunset until they turn the aircon off at 9pm.

Ok, you got me there, I should have said 1 decent cardio machine instead of treadmil .

I have no doubts Cybex arc trainers are some kind of top range cardio machines, but it is like saying that a Rolls is the only decent car in the world and all the other cars are worthless.

From what I know about Fairtex, and I don't want to play the Fairtex fanboy here, is that it doesn't stink regarding cardio and also not for weight training, and I know a lot of people who have considered Tony's with Fairtex after Cawow closed and are of the same opinion.

I also don't know how the aircon setting was when you had your single training session there, maybe it had some problems that day or whatever, but fact is that they don't run it only certain times of the day to save money like Tony does.

My understanding about Thai settings of an aircon means that it will be freezing inside, which isn't so at Fairtex, but it is comfortable at any time of the day not only during certain times.

In Tony's it's cool after sunset till 9 pm as you say, that accounts for 2 hours of the day. Imagine that everyone goes there only during the cool hours. You have just promoted them, so get ready for the influx.

By the way my intention wasn't to make you look foolish, I've read enough of your posts and know you're a dedicated trainer, but you should realise that your opinion isn't the only one that counts on this forum.

Mileage may differ for other posters.

<

blockquote>

>

I'm not interested in treadmills. I don't like treadmills. Let me know when they bring in some brand new Cybex Arc Trainers (total body models) and I'll be there to join up just to use them. I'd gladly pay 9k per year for

that.

Ok, you got me there, I should have said 1 decent cardio machine instead of treadmil .

I have no doubts Cybex arc trainers are some kind of top range cardio machines, but it is like saying that a Rolls is the only decent car in the world and all the other cars are worthless.

From what I know about Fairtex, and I don't want to play the Fairtex fanboy here, is that it doesn't stink regarding cardio and also not for weight training, and I know a lot of people who have considered Tony's with Fairtex after Cawow closed and are of the same opinion.

I also don't know how the aircon setting was when you had your single training session there, maybe it had some problems that day or whatever, but fact is that they don't run it only certain times of the day to save money like Tony does.

My understanding about Thai settings of an aircon means that it will be freezing inside, which isn't so at Fairtex, but it is comfortable at any time of the day not only during certain times.

In Tony's it's cool after sunset till 9 pm as you say, that accounts for 2 hours of the day. Imagine that everyone goes there only during the cool hours. You have just promoted them, so get ready for the influx.

By the way my intention wasn't to make you look foolish, I've read enough of your posts and know you're a dedicated trainer, but you should realise that your opinion isn't the only one that counts on this forum.

Mileage may differ for other posters.

All opinions are fine, as long as there is some knowledge behind them.

Tony's aircon is on from 9am until 9pm. It does get cooler after sunset, but some people consider it too cold them. I can train at anytime in the day in the main gym and find it ok. The plastic tent is a lot hotter in the daytime, for obvious reasons.

If you've used a Cybex Arc Trainer for a period of time, you'd realise how great they are. They are the best calorie burner and most gentle on the joints. People with bad knees will really appreciate them. For my personal needs most other cardio machines are worthless - that's why the only other one I like I purchased for use at home - Concept2 rower. I don't do cardio at the gym.

My understanding of Thai air conditioning settings is that they are always too hot for me (shopping malls, restaurants, airport, immigration office, etc).. because Thais don't need it as cool as they are well acclimated to the hot, humid weather.

Yes, there would be plenty of casual, not so serious weight trainers who would be quite happy at Fairtex, but most of the serious ones are at Tony's. If you're a serious trainer you can't have half as good a workout at Fairtex - it's just not possible. They just don't have enough equipment. They do have some good stuff, just not enough and the weight area is far too small. If you need/want to do heavy barbell work and lots of DB work, it's a real pain in the a**. There's one power rack that serves as a junk storage zone and the DB area is tiny.

I dont think so, i hate it to drive in dark, if i could at all complete my workout in morning, -i would do it.

On fairtex, it is on the other side of town for me, so even if it was the best gym ever,

i would still not drive all the way there and then all the way back, 5 days a week

Edited by poanoi

I have used Fairtex and Tonys regularly so I fee qualified to comment.

Fairtex I used for cardio as it has aircon and I used the squash courts. It is too hot in the daytime when I like to train to do cardio in Tony's plastic tent.

Tony's I used fo weights.

Fairtex doesnt have enough weight equipement for even a semi serious weight trainer like myself. For a bodybuilder certainly Fairtex is out of the question.

• Like 1

I have used Fairtex and Tonys regularly so I fee qualified to comment.

Fairtex I used for cardio as it has aircon and I used the squash courts. It is too hot in the daytime when I like to train to do cardio in Tony's plastic tent.

Tony's I used fo weights.

Fairtex doesnt have enough weight equipement for even a semi serious weight trainer like myself. For a bodybuilder certainly Fairtex is out of the question.

omgiminpattaya dislikes this

• 5 months later...

What do they charge for 1 month membership at Tonys main gym now ? . . .

Thanks for bumping this thread for my morning laugh. A "high end, full featured gym" in Pattaya is a pipe dream, or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter.

Sorry, I can't give you the exact prices for 1 month memberships at Tony's, but he has many gyms. You might want to give a few a try before you settle down at any particular gym for a month. I do know that the one month memberships are priced relatively high compared to daily rates unless you train at least 6 days a week. He must have assumed that the average gym member will train everyday of the week when formulating his monthly rates.