High End, Full Featured Gym?

mobiryder

I know this may come off wrong, but I'm looking for a top grade gym (Simular to a True Fitness, Fitness First, et al) in PTYA.

While I know there are none of those namebrand gyms in Pattaya, are there any equivalents? I'm not talking an air conditioned Tony's gym or even a non air conditioned Tony's gym. Id love some help finding a full-fledged, full featured, air-conditioned, nice gym. Do they exist ? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to break the bad news, but there are no gyms in Pattaya which fit your description... not even close. California Wow closed - now there are none.

You'll be slumming it here. Come and join the party at Tony's.biggrin.png

• Like 1

A couple of the hotel gyms are okay if you don't mind paying but if you are a bodybuilder then you are stuck with Tony's as the hotel gyms lack all the equipment that serious weight trainers require.

Check the Cal Wow thread that basically goes over all the gyms in Pattaya.

• Like 1

What about hotels gyms? Dusit seems pretty popular?

Not Fairtex even?

For those of you who seems pretty well-versed, could you please enlighten us why these choices aren't comparable to the likes of California Wow

If you're a casual trainer who doesn't need a lot of bodybuilding equipment (free weights, machines), or cardio is your thing, then the hotel gyms will do - if you don't mind paying 30K plus per year.

People train at gyms for different reasons. Let us know what you train for and I can give you a better answer.

Bear in mind that hotel gyms are normally designed for casual training for people on vacation.

Not Fairtex even?

For those of you who seems pretty well-versed, could you please enlighten us why these choices aren't comparable to the likes of California Wow

If you're a casual trainer who doesn't need a lot of bodybuilding equipment (free weights, machines), or cardio is your thing, then the hotel gyms will do - if you don't mind paying 30K plus per year.

People train at gyms for different reasons. Let us know what you train for and I can give you a better answer.

Bear in mind that hotel gyms are normally designed for casual training for people on vacation.

I would go Fairtex if I was a casual trainer. 10k is pretty reasonable for what you get there but their equipment is very limited.

You can do a daily visit for 300baht and see if it suits.

• Like 1

PRS is ok, but only air conditioned at certain times of days, it's very clean / lots of new cardio eqpt / lots of new machines and a decent amount of free weights. It also has a decent pool and sauna and is 250 baht on a daily basis, weekly / monthly and annual membership available but not sure about prices.

It's on the road that cuts through from Theppasit to 3rd road, pretty close to the junction on 3rd rd.

Thanks for the replies. I am already located in a building that has a hotel level gym inside of it. Severely lacking in certain free weights though. I would be looking for a gym to hit free weights and get bigger.

It's just that I can't stand slum – gyms if you know what I mean? (God I sound like such a douche)

Thanks for the replies. I am already located in a building that has a hotel level gym inside of it. Severely lacking in certain free weights though. I would be looking for a gym to hit free weights and get bigger. It's just that I can't stand slum – gyms if you know what I mean? (God I sound like such a douche)

See you at Tony's well and yes you will be slumming it.

Just think of it as a character building exercise as well as a bodybuilding exercise.

Edited by Tolley
  • Like 1

I was whining like you before about slum gyms at Pattaya but then I had to accept Tony gym, even without air (at least it doesn't stink as Tony with air) and then I feel that I was ridiculous to be addicted to air and high end facilities.

You don't need high end facilities if you are not a girl, you just need weight anywhere even in the jungle.

Thanks for the replies. I am already located in a building that has a hotel level gym inside of it. Severely lacking in certain free weights though. I would be looking for a gym to hit free weights and get bigger. It's just that I can't stand slum – gyms if you know what I mean? (God I sound like such a douche)

See you at Tony's well and yes you will be slumming it.

Just think of it as a character building exercise as well as a bodybuilding exercise.

Here's some Tony's updates for those who haven't kept up recently.

The "cardio" room at the main gym has not been air conditioned for over a month now. The doors and windows are kept wide open so you can breath the exhaust fumes from the continuous line of parked cars at the 3rd Road traffic jam.

It would seem they've given up cleaning the machines too. For the last month I've had to wipe down the slide rail on the Concept Rower before I use it to get the gunk off it so it can slide smoothly. I suspect people are perspiring more now with the air conditioning turned off.

Last week I left my sweat band (wet) on the floor in the ground floor (entrance) gym. I found it in exactly the same place 2 days later.

I definitely think they've cut back on cleaning.

Yes, training at Tony's is definitely "slumming it".

• Like 1

You don't need high end facilities if you are not a girl, you just need weight anywhere even in the jungle.

It's not about "needing" high end facilities. Experienced guys can train in a basement garage gym with minimal equipment if need be. It's about preferring high quality facilities. If good facilities are available it's definitely an advantage and it makes training more enjoyable for all.

We can but dream.

• Like 1

Check out Fairtex Sports Club...they specialize in muay Thai but they have a complete set of free weights, including barbells, dumbbells, and cow-bells, as wel l as machines. There are also plenty of aerobic bikes, treadmills, and elipticals.

The weight-room is air-coned. Also steam and dry sauna, large lap pool, tennis, squash, badminton, and even a small rock climbing wall. Friendly and knowledgable staff too. Don't have the cheap Charlie crowd like at the shuttered cal wow nor the roid-heads and balloon chasers you find at Tony's.

• Like 1

Check out Fairtex Sports Club...they specialize in muay Thai but they have a complete set of free weights, including barbells, dumbbells, and cow-bells, as wel l as machines. There are also plenty of aerobic bikes, treadmills, and elipticals.

The weight-room is air-coned. Also steam and dry sauna, large lap pool, tennis, squash, badminton, and even a small rock climbing wall. Friendly and knowledgable staff too. Don't have the cheap Charlie crowd like at the shuttered cal wow nor the roid-heads and balloon chasers you find at Tony's.

Your commentary was ok till you started with the crap about "cheap Chalie", "roid-heads" and "balloon chasers". That's pathetic!

There's nothing at all special about Fairtex....

Cardio equipment - limited. Weights and machines - very limited. Air conditioning - minimal. Space - very cramped (good luck having a workout in there after 5pm). You'll be spending a lot of time waiting for stuff. It's a good gym for "pretenders" (pretend to be training) who spend more time on their cell phones than working out.

I had one casual workout there after California Wow shutdown. I never went back.

Now you have started something laugh.png

Your commentary was ok till you started with the crap about "cheap Chalie", "roid-heads" and "balloon chasers". That's pathetic!

Cardio equipment - limited. Weights and machines - very limited. Air conditioning - minimal. Space - very cramped (good luck having a workout in there after 5pm). You'll be spending a lot of time waiting for stuff. It's a good gym for "pretenders" (pretend to be training) who spend more time on their cell phones than working out.

I had one casual workout there after California Wow shutdown. I never went back.

Everything thing you said is completely wrong...but of course, your an expert as you've been there all of one time!

You just keep sweating it out at Tony's, with the filthy machines and the truck exhaust filling you lungs. Oh, by the way, do they still have the showers in the toilet stalls...it looked so convenient taking a dump and a shower at the same time [For those who don't know, the showers are not in a locker room with the toilets in a separate area,, the showers are IN the toilet stalls. Classy 55555555]

As for you never coming back, thank Buddha for that.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 2

Fairtex @ 9.5k or Ambassadoor@ 4.5 k

No comparrison there though, Ambassodor is at least a 20 minute drive from town plus the gym is nothing special, a lot of old equipment and not much in the way of machines. ( unless it's improved in the last couple of years? ).

It does have a lot of other facilities, badminton courts / table tennis etc AND in high season there is some nice Russian tarts knocking about.

Everything thing you said is completely wrong...but of course, your an expert as you've been there all of one time!

You just keep sweating it out at Tony's, with the filthy machines and the truck exhaust filling you lungs. Oh, by the way, do they still have the showers in the toilet stalls...it looked so convenient taking a dump and a shower at the same time [For those who don't know, the showers are not in a locker room with the toilets in a separate area,, the showers are IN the toilet stalls. Classy 55555555]

As for you never coming back, thank Buddha for that.

Of course you have to turn a gym thread into a flame thread.... and judging by the last "message", you're just another one of those people who goes to a gym to pretend he's training. Perhaps you could find a subject you know something about and get off the gym threads.

Everything I said about Fairtex is right on the money. It only takes one visit to be an expert on such a small gym. My workout there was about 2.5 hours long in order to assess all the equipment with a view to possibly signing up. It's the very first gym I tried out the day after California Wow closed. Sadly it doesn't live up to the reports people like you have been posting.

No one said Tony's is pretty, but as far as weight training (not cardio) equipment is concerned it's way ahead of Fairtex. As far as serious bodybuilding gyms are concerned, it's all we've got in Pattaya at present. Enthusiasts look at the equipment first and worry about the toilets and showers later. You can do that at home. I've never taken a dump or had a shower at Tony's in 7 years... because as you correctly pointed out, that's not one of Tony's finer features.

The OP is looking for a "top grade gym". Sadly neither Fairtex nor Tony's fit that description.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

If this topic turns into another Tony hate topic with aircon vs. no aircon and my muscles are bigger than your muscles the topic is going to get closed, no one wants to go through that again.

• Like 1

Weight-wise, i dont know of any place that beat tonys sweat-tent,

there is two issues,

one is its way too hot,

and another is over 70% users dont place the dumbbells back in their assigned slot.

well, and a 3rd, a small thai guy occupying a bench 30+ minutes playing his phone, -every time.

ed: as for toilets, i couldnt care less, never been there and unlikely i ever forget to pee before i hit gym

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

Not Fairtex even?

Dusit has a nice cardio room but the so called weight room consists of old machines and limited free weights. When 4-5 people are using the gym area it becomes crowded. I think Fairtex is more up your alley and it is cheaper.

Not Fairtex even?

Dusit has a nice cardio room but the so called weight room consists of old machines and limited free weights. When 4-5 people are using the gym area it becomes crowded. I think Fairtex is more up your alley and it is cheaper.

Centara Grand has brand new cardio machines and pin loaded weight machines plus some free weights in a beautiful room. It's a good option for fitness people who don't mind forking out over 30,000 baht per year (can't remember exactly how much). Closer to town, the Royal Cliff is a good option for 35K per year. The Marriott has the best lineup of machines and free weights I've seen in hotel gyms although they are getting a bit old... with less spectacular cardio equipment. Also in the high 30K baht region.

Edited by tropo