Thai Health Ministry Campaigns For End Of Squat Toilet Use To Lessen Arthritis Risks

webfact

Health Ministry campaigns for end of squat toilet use to lessen arthritis risks

sq.jpg

file photo

BANGKOK, April 30, 2013 (NNT) – The Health Ministry is continuing its campaign that calls on the whole country to give up the use of squat toilet to lessen risks of arthritis.

Deputy Health Minister Cholanan Srikaew said on Monday that the Cabinet-approved 2013-2016 Public Toilet Development Master Plan is intended to encourage members of the public to realize the negative health impact of the use of squat toilet.

Mr. Cholanan said such a traditional toilet can be unsafe and cause arthritis, if used for a long time, particularly among the elderly.

He also noted that the end of squat toilet use will be in favor of some 600,000-800,000 physically-challenged, obese people and pregnant women in Thailand.

The Deputy Health Minister cited the ministry’s survey conducted in the past 3 years in saying that as much as 86 percent of toilets in Thailand are squat toilets.

He went on to say that, under the Public Toilet Development Master Plan, there are 12 public areas in the country, such as petrol stations, restaurants, government offices, hospitals, schools, department stores and religious places, that must have at least one sitting toilet by 2016.

At the same time, the Health Ministry aims to encourage up to 90 percent of households to switch to the western-style toilets within 3 years.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-30 footer_n.gif

it could be also something that keeps you fit and healthy.

Waiting for some fitness guru of mordern the health&lifestyle industry who promotes squat toilets as the natural way. as the little daily exercise everybody can do.

• Like 2

This is old news from last year. More rhetoric, no action - so far.

It is up to the business community to respond. The international restaurant chains have done their part. They even have running water at the sinks with soap. Many Thai restaurants do not even have soap so that the employees can wash their hands after emptying their bowels.

• Like 1

How ignorant !

Squat toilet provides so many health benefits and prevents so many internal diseases. arthritis is NOT cause by this toilet. it's cause by many other factors..

I'm not going to explain in detail because I have already done so. just google for "Squat Toilet benefits"

• Like 1

When I see a squat toilet I see many risks and arthritis is not one of them. sad.png

For example? what do you "see" as risks? have you "got" any of them? if not, then you're hypothetical.

The health minister may want to look at more pressing health hazords for the general public, than squat tolets, in his quest for budget money.

If you have ever observed the village people, squating to visit , eat, drink, gossip, etc, this seems to be the norm, (to squat)

The first time I observed this position, I was told that more people could crowd in a circle in this position, rather than the (what I call the temple position), plus there were not enough chairs avaliable.

it could be also something that keeps you fit and healthy.

Waiting for some fitness guru of mordern the health&lifestyle industry who promotes squat toilets as the natural way. as the little daily exercise everybody can do.

They are hard for the elderly to use.

i'm assuming the whole point is that western-style toilets can be used by everyone and anyone, whether overweight, pregnant, old and frail.. i wouldn't say i'm severely overweight or anything, but i'm not a small guy and using one of those squat toilets isn't a pleasant experience. i'm sure my pregnant gf would also agree it's not comfortable for her to squat right now either. all down to personal preference i suppose, but it would be nice to have the option of a western-style toilet in more public places, in particular at service stations. i don't really frequent any other places with squat bogs :)

• Like 1

The reason for the change is because of the large number of slip and falls associated with the elderly and people with disabilities. Thailand has an aging population and people are living longer.

This article sums up the plight of the elderly in asia.

http://www.scmp.com/article/540498/fear-public-squat-toilets-confines-elderly-homes

Edited by geriatrickid

Why don't they just come "clean" and admit the facts? headline should not be:

should be:

Health Ministry campaigns for end of squat toilet use to lessen xxxx and piss on trousers risks

Is the government going to make them illegal then?

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

Now to teach the people "how to flush"! Even faranges! Most disgusting thing is to use the toilet that hasn't been flushed! The simplest action that too many are just too lazy to do. Pull the lever!

• Like 1

The reason for the change is because of the large number of slip and falls associated with the elderly and people with disabilities. Thailand has an aging population and people are living longer.

This article sums up the plight of the elderly in asia.

http://www.scmp.com/article/540498/fear-public-squat-toilets-confines-elderly-homes

so just add more toilets for the handicapped

Why don't they just come "clean" and admit the facts? headline should not be:

should be:

Health Ministry campaigns for end of squat toilet use to lessen xxxx and piss on trousers risks

Is the government going to make them illegal then?

clap2.giflaugh.pnglaugh.png

But honestly how low can you go. My body won't let me squat that far......

When I see a squat toilet I see many risks and arthritis is not one of them. sad.png

For example? what do you "see" as risks? have you "got" any of them? if not, then you're hypothetical.

Arthritis is caused by a LACK of nutrition!!!

quitting junk, heated oil, sugar, fried food, sauce, soda, fast food, batter, milk, cheese, etc.. THIS WILL STOP YOUR BODY FROM GETTING WORSE.

But then how do you prevent insanity.

Even if they replaced all the squats it will still take a generation until people get the hang of western toilets. I have been into many toilets (western) in Thailand and you can still see where people climb up and squat on the rim of the bowl. (dirty footprints) They will have to run a major television campaign to teach people how to use these bloody western style toilets.

Oh, toilet Bliss, yesterday in Bangkok.

We had three hours to kill whilst a certain Embassy legalised some papers for us so:
We walk walk toward the BTS but got distracted and then diverted into the Terminal 21 building.

We both needed a visit to the loo and my wife went first.

On her return she said that the toilets were quite nice, in fact really very nice.

I therefore decided to use them.

They were impressively clean and I was sure that I had chosen the men's because of the neat row of urinals.

The toilet didn't have a bum gun, instead there was a control panel, written in English and there were picture icons to show you what each control did.

A warm water squirty thing to wash the required area. (It's position could be adjusted to suit your needs, a picture of a man's head and a woman's head, which had me wondering if I had chosen the right room).

A warm air air jet to dry.

Paper was also provided but who would use paper with all this automation?

It beat the cr_p out of squat and conventional toilets.

I have problems with my knee joints and squats cause me severe pain. I don't think it's very healthy to splatter pee all over the floor and legs either and I honestly don't understand how Thai females manage to not do so when using these toilets.

Oh but they do splatter all over the shop. Bring one of those black-light thingies to the bistro or club next night out. You can spot the 'dirty' girls a mile off.

PS. And don't touch the bar snacks either.

Oh, toilet Bliss, yesterday in Bangkok.

We had three hours to kill whilst a certain Embassy legalised some papers for us so:

We walk walk toward the BTS but got distracted and then diverted into the Terminal 21 building.

We both needed a visit to the loo and my wife went first.

On her return she said that the toilets were quite nice, in fact really very nice.

I therefore decided to use them.

They were impressively clean and I was sure that I had chosen the men's because of the neat row of urinals.

The toilet didn't have a bum gun, instead there was a control panel, written in English and there were picture icons to show you what each control did.

A warm water squirty thing to wash the required area. (It's position could be adjusted to suit your needs, a picture of a man's head and a woman's head, which had me wondering if I had chosen the right room).

A warm air air jet to dry.

Paper was also provided but who would use paper with all this automation?

It beat the cr_p out of squat and conventional toilets.

Each one has a theme, too, from San Francisco to Istanbul. It's like going on tour.

• Like 1

My ex-girlfriend's mother was only in her 50's, but she kept falling down and breaking bones. She had several surgeries on her hand alone.

We made a trip to the village to see her in the hospital, but before we left, we asked what she needed. Her doctor said a western toilet. Off to HomePro we went, paid 2,500 baht, and loaded the thing up in the car.

We got the thing installed in about an hour, and while the woman still fell down as she was up and about, at least she didn't fall into the squat toilet as he had done before.

• Like 2