Mk + Msg

KanomPang

Just a quick one... only lived here 7 months... paid second visit today to MK Restaurant... (delicious) BUT 2 hours later, mouth as a dry as a tram drivers glove, head in a vice feeling. I'm no Dot Cotton... checked MK website and they swear by the fact they don't use MSG but jeez, really?... anyone else have this experience or am I just weird???

post-176935-0-78033400-1367421362_thumb.

i would imagine it depends on what you order.

don't think there is much call for MSG in the veggies that you cook in the water... but then depending on other foods you add and/or cooked dishes you order (duck, pork, etc)... may be some MSG in there...

I am a bit sensitive to it and i have never been bothered by it (as you described) when eating there...

been there a couple of dozen times over the last 4 yrs...

• Like 1

Never had it from any other place I've ever eaten in Thailand over the last 10 yrs only MK, think it must be a Scottish thing (as I'm that tight) maybe its my inner reflexes twitching at a 500bt bill instead of the usual 60 bt for two???

Never had it from any other place I've ever eaten in Thailand over the last 10 yrs only MK, think it must be a Scottish thing (as I'm that tight) maybe its my inner reflexes twitching at a 500bt bill instead of the usual 60 bt for two???

I wouldn't go forming an opinion based on one experience, who knows it could be some thing else.

i am MSG sensitive.

MK is fine with me and i believe they do contain little MSG but not as bad as other Thai restaurants

Me too and no problems at MK.

Edited by Joop50

We eat there very often. (Pro tip: the branch at Airport Plaza give bigger portions). I suspect they do use some MSG. It's probably, as one poster above said, in some of the preprocessed items they buy. So, strictly speaking, their statement that they don't use it in the products they directly make is true.

MSG doesn't bother anyone in my family as long as its used judiciously.

MK's vegetables are fresh and crispy, rice and noodles of very high quality and they are deservedly famous for their duck. I Normally don't enjoy pork, but their thinly-sliced roast pork is pretty darn good.

And at the end of the meal, that soup is a great finish.

So avoid it if you will. Easier seating for my family.

T

MSG in restaurants is hit and miss although nearly all bought-in, processed food, will contain MSG in one form or another. Cooking stock for example, fish balls and other items as mentioned. Have had no problems with MK duck or pork dishes.

KFC can be ok one day, loaded with MSG the next.

7-11 branded take-out fried rice, wonton soup, etc is excellent but the OTHER brand ... laden with MSG (Seasoning = 2.8%) on label.

We reluctantly eat out, in Malls, as it so often disappoints.

Never experienced an MSG hit and I've been around. Once asked a Chinese chef to leave out the MSG as my mate was paranoid about it. The chef looked like he wanted to put a cleaver through my head!

You would have to be hypersensitive or allergic to MSG to experience an "MSG hit".

• Like 1

I have deleted some off-topic posts. This topic is about whether there is MSG (monosodium glutamate) in the food served at MK, not about the temperature at which duck is served.

• Like 1

Never experienced an MSG hit and I've been around. Once asked a Chinese chef to leave out the MSG as my mate was paranoid about it. The chef looked like he wanted to put a cleaver through my head!

You would have to be hypersensitive or allergic to MSG to experience an "MSG hit".

Exactly. Most people are just imagining it.

^^ Like 'most people' would imagine hay-fever or death by bee sting? That it doesn't affect you, doesn't mean its benign. Have a read of some of your books, ole mate. wink.png