Thailand Needs To Act As Bangkok Sinks Faster

webfact

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago, we had a Thai scientists claim that rising seas won't affect the water levels at the Gulf of Thailand.

More recently, another Thai hydro expert claim that flood waters could be more quickly expelled from the Chao Praya river by little boats revving their motors, while tethered to anchor points.

What sorts of uniquely Thai solutions will crop up - for saving Bangkok from becoming flooded year 'round?

A few years ago, we had a Thai scientists claim that rising seas won't affect the water levels at the Gulf of Thailand.

More recently, another Thai hydro expert claim that flood waters could be more quickly expelled from the Chao Praya river by little boats revving their motors, while tethered to anchor points.

What sorts of uniquely Thai solutions will crop up - for saving Bangkok from becoming flooded year 'round?

When the next mega flood occurs....

They will tie helium balloons to doi Suthep to increase the gradient out of Thailand, and then employ millions of Malaysians to suck on straws to make space.

• Like 1

I heard TAT has a contingency plan to rename Bangkok, Atlantis. They project a 40% increase in tourist numbers through Sukmabumi Airport seaport.

post-46292-0-63765400-1367505975_thumb.j Welcome too the land of smiles

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

Probably the same solution as occurs at local level -- throw the garbage over the wall so it is somebody else's problem -- out of sight is out of mind.

Trouble is, water keeps on coming back. Still, that makes it an even more 'Thai solution' -- one that never had a chance of succeeding.

Might go some way to explain why many Bangkokians have bought land in Nakorn Ratchsaima.

NEW PLASTIC BOAT FOR SALE , SEATS 200, BBQ FITTED, NO REASONABLE OFFER REFUSED.

• Like 1

What will this do for condo prices?

Sink? coffee1.gif

Please. Some will sink, and that will be counteracted and then some by others skyrocketing. This is all assuming Bkk is sinking of course.

I think this could make for some really good fishing myself.

The first thing they need to do is pay some real geologists to come in and confirm the problem.

Does anybody have a good reason as to why they NEVER do this (ie bring in outside scientists).

You might want to try GOOGLE. This problem was recognized and been warned by many(outside scientists), over 30 years ago.

Quite correct. I recall reading an article in the "New Scientist" about Bangkok inevitably 'going under' around 30 years ago. Mind you, expecting Thai's to digest scietific magazines like this is asking rather a lot? coffee1.gif

I fail to see the problem, prior to Bangkok paving over the klongs, it was known as the Venice of the East. This is just nature doing its part to return the klongs to Bangkok so it can reclaim its title. Ground floor simply becomes boat storage/parking, and all retail moves up a floor.

Each time a new house, road or similar is built, build it 1 meter higher than usual. Start today and keep doing that for all new construction jobs. At the current sinking rate, this pushes the problem 33 years ahead for new buildings and roads on top of whatever time there is left at the current elevation, and since most construction in Thailand is not of the best quality, many if not most buildings and roads won't last much longer than that anyway. The subway will just need elevated entrances, and the skytrain and elevated highways will be fine too and could easily be jacked up if necessary.
At the same time build some coastal/flood barriers to block the worst floods, high tides and storm surges.
The above is not the best solution, but it is the cheapest, and the easiest to implement - and therefore the most likely one in Thailand!

Edited by monkeycountry

ozyjon, on 02 May 2013 - 12:35, said:

I was watching a TV program when i was in Europe about the levies and the water management scheme to prevent flooding in Holland, the person advising the government was a Thai man, very well distinguished world wide (sorry can't remember the name) during the program he was being interviewed and was asked a question about Bangkok's sinking situation and this is what stuck in my mind for so long, he basically said that Bangkok will be under water completely by 2030 unless something is done, that Bangkok is 1.5 meters below sea level and that something should be done soon, that he offered his services to the Thai government for free but they rejected his advice, i herd about this man again regarding Venice that's going the same way,, soon it will be under water completely, i lived in Samut Prakan, Bang Phli, near the coast and i could see the huge pumps by the waters edge, it seemed they were neglected or old, i feel when the time comes the Thais will be under prepared or just deny the problem exists meanwhile land in Issan is being bought up everywhere, is there something i don't know, should i buy a condo in Bangkok, it's ok i can swim. New travel advice for travel to Bangkok in the future could be and also don't forget to pack your snorkel and flippers, you can only deny for so long.

Government have already solved the problem build more roads easy problem solved, don’t worry it will all be ok

Central Bangkok is relatively safe from floods which of course is where the old money families live around Saphan Kwai.

The west and south east of Bangkok are screwed. Marshes everywhere and they keep putting new condos on top of them.

In 50-100 years Isan or atleast Khorat will be beach front property. Its Earths way of telling us who is the real boss.

It is all sort of 2014 isn't it.

Inevitably in 50 or so years, huge amonts of people will have to leave Bangkok because their properties will inevitably go under water quite regularly. What will they do if Bangkok isn't the all seeing all doing, centre point of everything in the country?

Nothing.

It is all sort of 2014 isn't it.

Inevitably in 50 or so years, huge amonts of people will have to leave Bangkok because their properties will inevitably go under water quite regularly. What will they do if Bangkok isn't the all seeing all doing, centre point of everything in the country?

Inevitably? w00t.gif

Excuse my ignorance concerning drilling but if we are trying to save a city from drowning what does drilling hundreds of holes and pumping mega gallons of water in,do exactly. This is a serious question,I just do not understand OK.

Ohh, a serious question, that will need a serious answer then.

Below our feet are not just mud and rocks, but also layers of sandstone, typical old seabed. These formations have 5-25% porosity or pore space between the sand grains. This “void” is already filled with ancient seawater, but at downhole conditions formations are actually elastic (look up Young’s Modulus if you want details). Think of the formation like a big sponge, when you inject water it will slowly expand and lift the overburden.

NB: You might wonder why the water not just simply flow back to the surface again, but above the sandstone formation are thick layers of shale with extreme low permeability acting as a seal or cap rock.

• Like 2

There are countless examples of areas subsiding when oil or gas field are produces over a long period of time.

Just do the opposite for Bangkok. Find a suitable formation 1-3,000 m below Bangkok, drill a couple of hundred wells and inject water over the next 30 years.

I don't know what kinda' "oil-business" you're in, mate - but I'll hazard a guess that it is 'beer' and lots of it . . . what a "brilliant" idea to stick water under an already sinking city ! ! ! Brilliant.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Maybe, if the 'oil' in your system subsides long enough for you to think clearly . . . . you may just see the errors in your thinking ? ? ?

Duuuuuh ! ! !

There are countless examples of areas subsiding when oil or gas field are produces over a long period of time.

Just do the opposite for Bangkok. Find a suitable formation 1-3,000 m below Bangkok, drill a couple of hundred wells and inject water over the next 30 years.

I don't know what kinda' "oil-business" you're in, mate - but I'll hazard a guess that it is 'beer' and lots of it . . . what a "brilliant" idea to stick water under an already sinking city ! ! ! Brilliant.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Maybe, if the 'oil' in your system subsides long enough for you to think clearly . . . . you may just see the errors in your thinking ? ? ?

Duuuuuh ! ! !

Bummer, you got me. The city will of course float away. Silly me, I better go back and study some more.

post-119133-0-88737000-1367547972_thumb.

Everyone is selling and moving to Chiang Mai. The boom here is incredable. Most of my Thai friends have bought houses and getting ready to move their businesses here. My wifes upscale coffee house and noodle restaurant is doing great, she has to open a second location.

Give us the cash, Love it

Randy

Land value where our home is situated east of Chiang Mai has really risen over the past 5 years. The 5-6 rai piece of property next door was sold to an Thai lady married to an Aussie went for $1.5 million baht. I guess it'll be good to have a neighbor, I like the peace and quiet as is, but they might be good eggs and I'll not make any assumptions, and till they get a home built and move in, and we get to know each other. I suspect since they bought in the boonies they might be quiet folk like us.

Some folks a couple of klicks away drilled the an area attempting to hit hot water and succeeded. Turned around and sold their land for $1 million per rai. I guess a Spa will be built, but it's a few klicks away

Edited by mogoso