Thailand Needs To Act As Bangkok Sinks Faster

As noted by SteeleJoe, a lot of Bankokians are fearful of the numerous predictions that have been made. One of the most famous was by a man who made 3 predictions in regards to the Chakra Dynasty during the reign of the first Chakra King, but we're not gonna go there. In regards to a tsunami or flood, he stated that the area of "Siam" where BKK now sits, would vanish in a single night when the ocean would rush in to claim it. It was "supposed" to happen near the end of the year 2555, so it's a tad bit late.

I live in CM, and have definitely seen the property grabbing and mega housing projects going on here that those from BKK are snatching up as fast as they can. I'm seeing more and more expensive cars with BKK license plates than I did 5 yrs ago. Chiang Mai has often been called the "Capitol of the North" in reference to the old Lana Kingdom, but perhaps in the not too distant future, it may become the new capitol of LOS.

What I find particularly amusing is the new Parliament that is about to begin construction right on the River. One half way decent Tsunami and it's gone.

I won't say there is no "forward thinking" in Thailand, as my adopted Thai son and his girlfriend have both exhibited by doing things now that will benefit them 5-10 years down the road, but overall, it's not exactly a Thai trait. For most Thai, the "future" is next week. Anything past that doesn't exist.

Oh, well, I probably won't see any of it in my lifetime, but then again, I really don't care.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is selling and moving to Chiang Mai. The boom here is incredable. Most of my Thai friends have bought houses and getting ready to move their businesses here. My wifes upscale coffee house and noodle restaurant is doing great, she has to open a second location.

Give us the cash, Love it

Randy

Don't think you would want ALL of Bangkok up there. If that happened, everyone would be moaning and bitching about the traffic and the pollution and dying to move somewhere else.

Come to think of it, a lot of people in Chiangmai already are.

Living only 5 kilometers east of the river traffic is good. The 2 outer ring roads are not crowded. Everyone is building out of town. I never go into the city during rush hour and that is only an hour or so in the morning and evening.

As noted by SteeleJoe, a lot of Bankokians are fearful of the numerous predictions that have been made. One of the most famous was by a man who made 3 predictions in regards to the Chakra Dynasty during the reign of the first Chakra King, but we're not gonna go there. In regards to a tsunami or flood, he stated that the area of "Siam" where BKK now sits, would vanish in a single night when the ocean would rush in to claim it. It was "supposed" to happen near the end of the year 2555, so it's a tad bit late.

I live in CM, and have definitely seen the property grabbing and mega housing projects going on here that those from BKK are snatching up as fast as they can. I'm seeing more and more expensive cars with BKK license plates than I did 5 yrs ago. Chiang Mai has often been called the "Capitol of the North" in reference to the old Lana Kingdom, but perhaps in the not too distant future, it may become the new capitol of LOS.

What I find particularly amusing is the new Parliament that is about to begin construction right on the River. One half way decent Tsunami and it's gone.

I won't say there is no "forward thinking" in Thailand, as my adopted Thai son and his girlfriend have both exhibited by doing things now that will benefit them 5-10 years down the road, but overall, it's not exactly a Thai trait. For most Thai, the "future" is next week. Anything past that doesn't exist.

Oh, well, I probably won't see any of it in my lifetime, but then again, I really don't care.

As a way of washing cash away, buying properties and sitting on them is a very well known Thai/Thai-Chinese trait, as is looking at things from a very very long term view.

The cash money that has been sloshing around in the economy in the last 5 years had to go somewhere, and into bricks and mortar it has gone. So be it. As for an en masse exodus from Bangkok to Chiangmai, I don't think so anytime soon, but anything that spreads the wealth around out of Bangkok is as far as I am concerned a great thing. The place is overall a dump, unconducive for business, and living. But that's just my opinion of course.

Excuse my ignorance concerning drilling but if we are trying to save a city from drowning what does drilling hundreds of holes and pumping mega gallons of water in,do exactly. This is a serious question,I just do not understand OK.

There are countless examples of areas subsiding when oil or gas field are produces over a long period of time.

Just do the opposite for Bangkok. Find a suitable formation 1-3,000 m below Bangkok, drill a couple of hundred wells and inject water over the next 30 years.

Why water...they can get the PTP to below all their hot air in the ground..this should have the same effect...biggrin.png

And you can help them with all the HOT AIR your spouting too

Granted I may spout hot air on occassion, but sorry to say my contribution would be insignificant compared to what the PTP could contribute..tongue.png

There are countless examples of areas subsiding when oil or gas field are produces over a long period of time.

Just do the opposite for Bangkok. Find a suitable formation 1-3,000 m below Bangkok, drill a couple of hundred wells and inject water over the next 30 years.

Would injecting water really stop the sinking? I don't think it works that way.... maybe they could throw their trash down there instead (make it a landfill with two purposes). If water works the way you suggest though, there'd be no need to "inject" water I'd think they could just divert water to flow under there. But controlling the flow would be crucial and I think would only increase the general risks to the area.

I know understand why they haven't ever done anything about it. It's obviously lost in translation

When the government, or Bangkok adminstration was being told to act, they didn't understand it as a "call to action" they took it to portray a character in a story.

I was watching a TV program when i was in Europe about the levies and the water management scheme to prevent flooding in Holland, the person advising the government was a Thai man, very well distinguished world wide (sorry can't remember the name) during the program he was being interviewed and was asked a question about Bangkok's sinking situation and this is what stuck in my mind for so long, he basically said that Bangkok will be under water completely by 2030 unless something is done, that Bangkok is 1.5 meters below sea level and that something should be done soon, that he offered his services to the Thai government for free but they rejected his advice, i herd about this man again regarding Venice that's going the same way,, soon it will be under water completely, i lived in Samut Prakan, Bang Phli, near the coast and i could see the huge pumps by the waters edge, it seemed they were neglected or old, i feel when the time comes the Thais will be under prepared or just deny the problem exists meanwhile land in Issan is being bought up everywhere, is there something i don't know, should i buy a condo in Bangkok, it's ok i can swim. New travel advice for travel to Bangkok in the future could be and also don't forget to pack your snorkel and flippers, you can only deny for so long.

What will this do for condo prices?

Not a feekin lot.

But the gov't will come up with some bulshyt response 'just think all you potential tourists' Amazing Thailand/Bangkok the city beneath the sea, fish from your hotel room window wacko.png

• Like 1

Not only Bangkok, Richmond BC Canada is sinking..many years ago Japanese investors bought most of the land and built condo's and retail complexes a poor investment for long term, so most are selling and seeking higher ground causing prices to sore along with

the Chinese are now buying areas above the delta..causing prices to rise..for my mother's house bought in late 70's for $27K now sold at $610K... So will prices rise in higher ground sites... Build your house on rock..not sand...

Bring Thaksin back ... during the lat big floods he said that if Thailand bring him back he can solve all the water an flooding problems, And we all know what an upstanding great guy he is, a true man of his word who only cares about the people of Thailand.wink wink nudge nudge

Thank you so much for this post.

You have just given me the much needed sarcasm font> wink wink nudge nudge

The first thing they need to do is pay some real geologists to come in and confirm the problem.

Does anybody have a good reason as to why they NEVER do this (ie bring in outside scientists).

F A C E

• Like 1

The first thing they need to do is pay some real geologists to come in and confirm the problem.

Does anybody have a good reason as to why they NEVER do this (ie bring in outside scientists).

You might want to try GOOGLE. This problem was recognized and been warned by many(outside scientists), over 30 years ago.