Improving My Posting Skills

Of course this is a very tongue in cheek thread directed at the posters who continually try to be nasty towards other people.

I can imagine that new members refrain from starting their own threads or even commenting in other threads for the fear of being ridiculed.

I have also seen good threads in the past that have been abruptly ended due to other posters acting ungentlemanly.

So it got me wondering....do they have books that they use (or have used) as guidelines for putting other people down?

or does it just come naturally ???

Yes Shaggy, you are very correct about this.

We should all try a little tenderness.

And when that won’t work, resort to science.

We all need to understand relativity

When considering the feelings of others.

f2b41e4d1112871e94d431f0683fa670.jpg9780521093552.jpg

grandfather.jpg

pic3.jpg

The science of posting book covers appears to be beyond me.

Very sorry.

gamow_cykling.jpg

• Like 1

In fact, Shaggy, I really do believe that most people here do seem to show a relatively good amount of respect for others.

If it were otherwise, I believe that TV would not enjoy the degree of success that it has.

I very much like the point that you are making, because no one enjoys being part of a forum that tolerates behavior such as belittling a poster who may be new or weaker. I think your concern was for those who might like to post but are afraid to do so fearing that they may be made fun of or ridiculed.

I think it is also important to know what kind of a forum this is. Because if one knows that he or she is likely to take a bit of good-natured ribbing from the outset, and knows that this is normal, then when this happens, it will seem normal and not derogatory.

And then there are just some jokes that should never be made under any circumstance, but I do not see these very often on TV.

Thank you for the topic, I think it is something to continue to consider.

Are we friends now? (Just Joking, Shaggy! I have been in your corner, all along.)

In fact, Shaggy, I really do believe that most people here do seem to show a relatively good amount of respect for others.

If it were otherwise, I believe that TV would not enjoy the degree of success that it has.

I very much like the point that you are making, because no one enjoys being part of a forum that tolerates behavior such as belittling a poster who may be new or weaker. I think your concern was for those who might like to post but are afraid to do so fearing that they may be made fun of or ridiculed.

I think it is also important to know what kind of a forum this is. Because if one knows that he or she is likely to take a bit of good-natured ribbing from the outset, and knows that this is normal, then when this happens, it will seem normal and not derogatory.

And then there are just some jokes that should never be made under any circumstance, but I do not see these very often on TV.

Thank you for the topic, I think it is something to continue to consider.

Are we friends now? (Just Joking, Shaggy! I have been in your corner, all along.)

I like your style Mr OldChinaHam.......have somehow got the feeling that you are a long lost member !!! but can't place it.

Trolls and bullies are the ones that get under my skin......lighthearted banter and leg pulling is part and parcel and in many cases it is an added bonus to a thread (as long as it doesn't go too far and become personal)

I remember one thread about a guy that had problems with his g/f (he said she was in prison and wanted advice).

I thought at first it was troll thread because his story was really way out there and seemed to me far fetched but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and offered to help where possible.

It turned out to be a true story and a sad one for him at that,me and the guy still have contact with each other but he won't use TV any more after the way he got treated.

Luckily I have skin as tough as a rhino's bum so people can say what ever they want to me via a keyboard,but not everyone can is the same .......

So try and show a bit of respect and kindness when posting and as the old saying goes....

It's nice to be important,but it is more important to be nice.

Can never have enough friends me old fruit, onwards and upwards with your posting wai.gif

Personally, I find that insults by those that don't respect me are like water off a duck's back. Occasionally, I might reflect and think "did that abusive twunt have a fair point?" but generally not. On the other hand, when someone criticises me politely and coherently, I take it to heart, and I hope that I have learnt from their criticism.

I really don't find "<deleted> you" very helpful, nor offensive. I do worry that when someone posts that, the author loses whatever credibility he deserves

SC