How Can I Trim Down My Living Expenses In Chiang Mai.

Ringmybells

The rent and utlities seem high. Look around and find something cheaper -- keep utility bills in mind when looking at places. Hubby and I moved from one condo unit to a less expensive one in the same building -- just by asking around and being prepared to move when a good opportunity opened up. Also, we moved from the hot side of the building to the cool side. As a result, we're spending about 8,000 baht/month less on combined savings in rent and electricity, for a condo of the same size. The new one has a better floor plan and fixtures, too.

I see that Circusman beat me to the recommendation of shopping at Makro -- not just for cheese. In fact cheese should be a special treat, not something eated routinely.

Edited by NancyL

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of the posters here...putting them at an international school is about 36k per term and if they are todds and you are comfortable teaching them at home, it's a huge expense you dont have to put up at this young an age.

Cutting on rent is an option you shoudl look seriously into and I agree you should cook at home more often; the bills shrink, kids eat more healthy and you get the family bonding time.

Great you dont drink or smoke...that's such a saver. eating cheese as treat is a way of enjoying life. Don't cut back on everything till you dont enjoy living anymore...it become rather sad then.

$1250 per month with 2 kids is really bare minimum, you should consider seriously improving your cash streams. Take care and best of luck

The way I read it is you are spending roughly $600 a month on rent and electricity.

You only want to spend $1,200 a month on total expenses.

That leaves you with roughly $600 a month on every thing else.

That is $20 a day half of your income.

Rent and Electricity is where you will have to go to cut costs. All the tips you have recieved will help a little but not near enough to meet a proposed $1,200 a month budget.

Good Luck

Incidentally I don't know who proposed it but write every thing down if you spend 14 baht on a bottle of pop write it down at the end of the month you will be able to see exactly where your money went.

• Like 2

Wait until you have school fees to pay laugh.png

We do have school fees to pay for two todds in an international school. We are happy we can afford it hehehe.

But you obviously can't if you're wanting to shave off $600 a month.

I don't think it is going to happen & if it did I do not think your

family would much enjoy it.

You live on $1800 or 53,469 Baht/month or 1782 Baht/day now

You want to reduce it to $1200 or 35,646 Baht/month or 1188 Baht/day

I mean anything is possible of course but realistically I do not think it is going to

happen with 2 children & you do not own your residence. Sounds easy when folks think of just eating.

But out of that 1188 baht per day you need to divide up your electricity, your rent, food, medical costs,

clothes etc. etc. etc. Thailand is cheaper but it is not that cheap IMHO especially when you have kids.

As others have said use an Excel spread sheet & daily list what you spend.

Make each item in your list have a category number. Food, Utilities,Transportation,medical etc.

At the end of the month sort the data by category & you will see where it goes & where if possible you

can make cuts

Good Luck

In my mind one of the best ways to reduce expenses would be to get away from the city. You can rent a 3 bedroom house in many areas of Hang Dong, Bo Sang, San Kampang for 7,000 bahts per month and even have a small yard for the kids to play in. Yellow Song thaew for Hang dong and white for Bo Sang and San Kampang gives you transportation to the city if you need it and locally for shopping. If you must use air conditioning set temp. for 27C this makes the room comfortable and saves a lot on electricity.

Make sure you only shop in Supermarkets once a month as every time you walk in one you will find something to buy that you 'want' but don't 'need'. Agree with others that Makro is the place to go for good product at reasonable prices and many markets have plenty of fresh fruit and veg' to buy cheaply in between your big shopping trips.

Moving out of town will save a lot on rent if you choose wisely and home cooking is by far the cheapest and most healthy way to eat.

• Like 1

We do have school fees to pay for two todds in an international school. We are happy we can afford it hehehe.

How do you afford that out of the same budget? (If full international school..) Or is that separate?

School alone for two kids can eat up 25K a month, if not more.

#29 'People talk about finding OK places for 3-4000'

Just talk. Do the walk: Let's see the current realty ads, and/or pictures taken yourself.

If these places are habitable-ly cheap, why not let every one know, especially given the current currency crunch?

I really do not fathom the 'it's my/our little secret' mentality ingrained in so many.

• Like 2

"Cheese is a killer here. I once took a look at the Rimping receipts for a month and was shocked. Haven't bought any since. That was about 3 months ago. Yes I miss it but the prices are crazy here"

I used to love cheese, also. Even Stilton, today I sometimes still dream about. But I have not purchased cheese in years. And I do not miss it in the least, except for Stilton when you mention it.

But if you do miss cheese, then my advice is to find something in Thailand that looks like this:

DSCF6165.JPG14.jpgfoto%5Ccs0510-3-b.jpg

Once you have had a few bites of this fermented delight, then you will never pine for cheese again. I used to live off the stuff, almost. And it is healthier than bread.

What is it called?

ChouDouFu.

I am sure you can find it almost anywhere.

Add as much chili as you like.

You can make it yourself if you wish to spend the time.

Great as a snack for the kids, after school.

I'm struggling here you have a wife and two kids on 54,000 a month? how did you think you would be able to live well on that? I'm single and need 70/80,000 and I would think that's the average

"Cheese is a killer here. I once took a look at the Rimping receipts for a month and was shocked. Haven't bought any since. That was about 3 months ago. Yes I miss it but the prices are crazy here"

I used to love cheese, also. Even Stilton, today I sometimes still dream about. But I have not purchased cheese in years. And I do not miss it in the least, except for Stilton when you mention it.

But if you do miss cheese, then my advice is to find something in Thailand that looks like this:

DSCF6165.JPG14.jpgfoto%5Ccs0510-3-b.jpg

Once you have had a few bites of this fermented delight, then you will never pine for cheese again. I used to live off the stuff, almost. And it is healthier than bread.

What is it called?

ChouDouFu.

I am sure you can find it almost anywhere.

Add as much chili as you like.

You can make it yourself if you wish to spend the time.

Great as a snack for the kids, after school.

aka tofu?

A little off-main topic but ... Makro (Hang Dong) have some absolutely yummy scrumptious Gorgonzola, they'll cut to size, and goes beaut with a 26 Bt french baguette.

• Like 1

Thank you Kaptain, for the information, which I would have found useful a few years ago when I could not get enough cheese.

Then I learned that not only was I half full of ham, but the other half was just about full of cheese.

10 years ago, I just stopped eating dairy because the place I lived was about 5 hours round-trip to the nearest store which sold it.

It required about 1 year of being completely off dairy before I lost all interest in it.

Now though, since I have been in Thailand, I have been consuming 100% milk one liter per day.

Maybe cheese will be next?

It is probably better if I do not indulge and fall off the cheese wagon.

Thank you very much for telling me that it is available if I throw all caution to the wind.

If I do give in, I will just buy a giant wheel and roll it back to my abode and make up for lost time.

• Like 1

TrueVisions can be a major expense and we'll downgrade our service end of month as we simply don't get value for money. Better value via internet down-load and watch at your leisure! Saving ~ 1,000 bt per month!

Utilities are not a major expense for us despite extensive use of cooking appliances:-

a./ Mooban fees @ 500 Bt (100 talangwah lot)

b./ Water @ 120 Bt

c./ Power @ 800 Bt (was lower but now use a/c ~ 10hrs each night)

d./ Gas @ 60 Bt

I often walk to Makro or BigC, (for exercise) and we eat loads of fresh cooked salmon, chicken and pork with salads or quality greens - All groceries incl imported cereals, cheeses, alcohol and cleaning supplies average 15k per month. Shopping at Makro saves approx 25% compared with elsewhere.

I agree with all others, do not eat street food as a daily staple. Fresh home-cooked rice and meat is cleaner, healthier and cheaper! For greens, buy cheap local greens, wash well and steam or stir-fry - serve with a little oyster sauce for extra flavour!

Is Macro the best place for salmon? How do you manage to keep your power bill/electricity for 800/mo?

I'm struggling here you have a wife and two kids on 54,000 a month? how did you think you would be able to live well on that? I'm single and need 70/80,000 and I would think that's the average

I have a husband and two kids. I am a wife who is quite interested in saving for a fatter bank account:-) May be you spend so much more because you go out more often than a family. Our kids are in school Mon-Fri, we usually go out only in the weekends.

How do you afford that out of the same budget? (If full international school..) Or is that separate?

School alone for two kids can eat up 25K a month, if not more.

School fees, internet, phone and most medical bills are separate. We don't have tv. I did mention on my post that $1800 includes: rent, food, utilities and transportation.

But you obviously can't if you're wanting to shave off $600 a month.

School fees are not included in the $1800/mo and I am happy with their school fees and them in being in school Mon-Fri! I like the school and willing to pay the fees.

My first glance into this thread indicates to me that the OP is not short in fund; rather, she's just a wife and mom (if not trolling) who likes to save than waste while not depriving herself and the family of necessities. People have different perspectives on living standards. She doesn't mind eating street food, doesn't like shopping at Rimping, doesn't want her family living in a shed, doesn;t spend much on entertainments. To me, nothing's wrong with that. Gee, if the OP stops buying cheese, the family don't drink milk like water, and stop switching the air on all the time, she would almost be on par with my wife!

Asking the TV expats on how to save is like asking the question: can you live comfortably.under 100k a month for a family of 4 (excluding tuition and medicals)!

Am I glad that my kid was out of the international school, otherwise, tuition alone runs over 40k a month!

• Like 1

Re: Chou Dou <deleted>

I checked with my wife, that seems a Cantonese pronounciation. Chou means "stinky". Dou <deleted> means "bean curd". The first picture looks like it too.

If it's in Mandarin, Chou may mean "deep-fried". The second picture looks it.

The third picture looks fermented bean curd. You take one little cube in your mouth you will be salted to death.

CM makes good bean curd. In fact, inside the talaat (fresh market) next to Rimping has good bean curd for B15 a big block. We buy it all the time to drop them into soups, fry with ground pork and shrimp - similar to what in the States called shrimp with lobster sauce. One time, I thought about making it myself since we can't find any decent bean curd in Bangkok; it always has this smoke taste in it!

Edited by muchogra

Op, by renting a house for 8k and getting the electric down to 1k, that's 7,000 baht right there. Avoid showering too hot for too long and choose a place doesn't have ancient air-con units (and that is airy to avoid over-usage). Try to halve the amount of time you eat that stuff off the street, which ain't very filling if you have the cheap dishes. One can have a very tasty mama noodle meal by adding chicken & broccoli. wink.png

• Like 1

Saving money on street food is not worth it. However If you like Thai vegetarian food, you're in luck. The Chinese temple near Meechok just outside Mooban Thanawan sells clean, nutritious food with brown rice at street food prices. Go early; they sell out by one pm.

Live tight only if you have to. Being sensibly frugal is however commendable and a good example for your kids.

T

Saving money on street food is not worth it. However If you like Thai vegetarian food, you're in luck. The Chinese temple near Meechok just outside Mooban Thanawan sells clean, nutritious food with brown rice at street food prices.

The kicker is it'll cost them 100 baht to get there. whistling.gif

• Like 1

You are already living in one of the least expensive cities in the world that offers a high standard of living, good medical care, and low crime. Personally, I'm mystified why anyone would move a young family to Thailand, unless you are making good money. I agree with some of the other posts about feeding your kids street food. I won't even eat street food, because most of the vendors don't have access to clean running water. Start cooking at home and take advantage of the fresh fruit and vegetable markets. Also, get those kids out of here during the smokey season for a little fresh air. sad.png

Hi Muchogra,

Actually, Chou Dou <deleted> is Mandarin for smelly bean curd, a particular favorite of mine with plenty of garlic and chili. The black one is also bean curd but it does not have much flavor, it is only bean curd cooked in such a way that it takes on a black color due to the tea (I think?) that it is cooked in. It is white inside. If in Mandarin, Zha would mean deep fried, and the lighter colored 2 dishes are deep fried in boiling oil, usually in street markets or just by vendors. And then served with cabbage on top. About USD0.15 on the streets 30 years ago.

Very healthy and tasty. I have been eating this for about 35 years and I'm not dead yet.

Anytime you find Chinese around, then DouFu will be there too.

ONE THING THOUGH: I do you know if in CM anyone is producing large quantities of DouJiang? This is Soy Bean Milk, and is produced in very large quantities. In order to produce Bean Curd, you must first have lots of cooked soy beans in a soupy mixture which is pressed down after the beans are ground. The solids become the bean curd after the fiber is discarded. The Bean Milk we drink and it is very cheap and nutritious and a great substitute for cows milk, or goats. I used to drink it by the gallon for USD0.10. After about a month, no one would come near me.

But I would like to know where they make Bean Curd here to maybe ask if they sell the raw bean milk before processing and adding sugar.

This is usually produced late at night so that the fresh doufu can be sent to the shops for sale in the early morning.

I don't know whether there is such a thing in CM though.

Glad you, too, are interested in beans.

There is no better food.

Not even Soylent Green.

@ OldChinaHam

DouJiang (soy milk) is available in CM, usually in or near markets, but only at certain times. You have to go between 5 and 7 pm as they tend to sell out quickly. They usually mix it with sweet syrup, but you can ask them not to. Healthy and cheap. You may be happy to know that these stalls also sell yau dja kwai - deep fried dough, to cancel out the healthfulness of the unsweetened soy milk.

T

My first glance into this thread indicates to me that the OP is not short in fund; rather, she's just a wife and mom (if not trolling) who likes to save than waste while not depriving herself and the family of necessities. People have different perspectives on living standards. She doesn't mind eating street food, doesn't like shopping at Rimping, doesn't want her family living in a shed, doesn;t spend much on entertainments. To me, nothing's wrong with that. Gee, if the OP stops buying cheese, the family don't drink milk like water, and stop switching the air on all the time, she would almost be on par with my wife!

Asking the TV expats on how to save is like asking the question: can you live comfortably.under 100k a month for a family of 4 (excluding tuition and medicals)!

Am I glad that my kid was out of the international school, otherwise, tuition alone runs over 40k a month!

You got it....I am that kind of a wife who likes to save without denying my kids the life style I want them to have. My husband and I don't drink milk like water but the kids do like milk and they drink a lot of it every single day and I am not going to ask them to drink less milk because I want to save. We use two ACs every night and we do like cheese but I can certainly live on less cheese in order to save. Hey I am not a troll, I am a real person, a wife and a mom.