Finding A Lawyer On Phuket

doorEman

I have recently been reading another thread here on this local forum about looking for a lawyer. That thread seemed to stray from from what the OP was looking for and my thoughts now are not about that thread but it go me thinking. How does one find a competent lawyer here for ANYthing?? And I am currently contemplating a property purchase. But after several years here, it is one horror story after the next from folks about "connected" lawyers that I have heard. And even the more reputable ones they cannot seem to even agree on what seems to me should be pretty basic laws here. For example I saw this article in the Phuket News recently:

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-law-does-going-collective-fix-your-lease-renewal-problem-38440.php

the second part to that article is not yet published but presumably it also completely disagrees with the article to which it refers and so I searched for the article that they were referring to and found this:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuketproperty/2013/Phuket-Property-Legal-Collective-Leasehold-Structures-Overview-19982.html

How do you know or at least have confidence that a lawyer is advising you competently on the actual law on Phuket? Or do you think you just need to go to Bangkok and find one there at one of the big firms...which is what I am thinking at this point. Surely they must actually know, understand and be able to explain the law they advise??

Good idea to ask about competent lawyers. A long time ago I had to deal with the transfer of a land lease on behalf of the daughter of a friend who had health issues and died suddenly. I took some time to ask various Thai business people for recommendations. I settled on a particular lawyer and proceeded. Whilst I am in no way implying that he he was negligent, all I can say is that the case is still in process over 12 years later. In the early days I tried to question him about his strategy, but was firmly told that it was none of my business (and I was paying his fees), I felt like a schoolboy in front of the headmaster.

Trouble with Thai professionals is that they seem to live in some sort of ivory castle and have no need to communicate with the peasants. At least my experience and these day I have little confidence in any Thai lawyers. I wish you the best of luck.

I would trust the guys who wrote the Phuket News article.

I can give you a recommendation for a family lawyer BTW, not for these kind of things.

Edited by stevenl

I think there is no substitute for doing your own research on the internet, for whatever subject your are consider employing a lawyer to act on your behalf.

Only then can you accurately weigh up all the risks involved.

Then you can ask them a series of questions to establish if they are like minded, and on the same page as yourself.

Finally their rates and fees could influence you of who to choose.

Any lawyer can set up a fake company to hold the property. Just be careful who you use as a nominee.

Many farang get burnt this way and then you'll be seeking a lawyer of a different kind.

Gotta love Thailand.

• Like 1

Good idea to ask about competent lawyers. A long time ago I had to deal with the transfer of a land lease on behalf of the daughter of a friend who had health issues and died suddenly. I took some time to ask various Thai business people for recommendations. I settled on a particular lawyer and proceeded. Whilst I am in no way implying that he he was negligent, all I can say is that the case is still in process over 12 years later. In the early days I tried to question him about his strategy, but was firmly told that it was none of my business (and I was paying his fees), I felt like a schoolboy in front of the headmaster.

Trouble with Thai professionals is that they seem to live in some sort of ivory castle and have no need to communicate with the peasants. At least my experience and these day I have little confidence in any Thai lawyers. I wish you the best of luck.

I would suggest you rent rather than buy anything in Phuket There is just so much monkey business in the property sector that you could come unstuck and as a foreigner you are not regarded too highly by lawyers and spivs alike!.

• Like 1

See my response below.