Best Ex Pat Bar Patong Beach

timaloy

I think his question was a very well raised one - I am a leagal working expat that lives & works in Patong but yet have no 'local' for many of the reasons outlined in the Patong bashing thread.

To the OP did you get out & about yet? find any decent watering holes?

Firstly, the OP, like most of us is not going to be able to tell the difference between someone who lives in Phuket and someone that doesn't, unless they first get into conversation with them.

The majority of European looking people that they meet in bars, will probably be "the wrong type". Even if you discount the tourists and look at long stay people in Patong, I would venture that there is a higher percentage of mongers than expats found elsewhere on the island.

Seems many Patong expats are getting offended by my post, that I'm tarring everyone with the same brush. That was not my intention, but, I still stand by my post.

Dunno why the inmates are getting their baggy Y-Fronts in such a twist over your post. I’ve sipped and supped at many of the watering holes in that berg and can honestly say that most of the bar keeps always reminded me of somebody that would steal their own car. Of the 6 exceptions, 3 are now dead and the others have moved on. I do, however, recommend farang owned bars over Somchai owned if you are out and about – you’ll see why when you’ve done a few. To the OP, you didn’t say whether you were staying at a hotel or guest house; I say thisbecause you are more likely to get good local info on places to see, booze and scoff from the owner of a small guest house than from the turkeys in the large commercial hotels...or even the sensitive ‘young at heart’ bloods here on TV....tongue.png

Edited by billythehat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Islander still a pretty genuine place, met the owner & seemed like a good bloke

I agree, but the problem is parking. I have to park in Jungceylon and then hike it over to Soi Patong Resort.

good point but its worth it, no bar girl hassel & lots of footy

Solution Bar Kata,situated in the heart of new Kata.

PST

Where is new Kata? The hill on the north end of Kata beach, just before Karon.. or the on the south end of Kata?

Where is new Kata? The hill on the north end of Kata beach, just before Karon.. or the on the south end of Kata?

Never heard of New Kata, but he's talking about that recently (well 3 years now)developed road opposite the fresh market just past the PTT gas station. Goes down to Kata Night Center. Seems quite a dead spot to me.

Thanks LiK,

Which brings another question. (*) Is there specific names for the two different ends of Kata? How about other beaches?

*) I know this thread is about Patong expat bars, but discussions sometimes take different roads, sorry..

Thanks LiK,

Which brings another question. (*) Is there specific names for the two different ends of Kata? How about other beaches?

*) I know this thread is about Patong expat bars, but discussions sometimes take different roads, sorry..

I've always called it Kata North and Kata South, with the end of the Main Street as Kata Corner. Just like Karon has Karon Village and Karon Centre, Then there is Kata Noi. Confusing ...