Returning Home?

drumcool

Hi

basically I am 21 year old thai born. however I have moved to UK when I was around 12.

This are my situation:

1) I went back to Thailand for holiday when I was 15 Year old and got my Thai ID done ( i was only holding Thai passport) However I Became British Citizen at 17 years old.

2) I am currently study at University and Planning to move to thailand for a year or so

3) while researching, realise that I might possibly requires to take part of army service (lotto thing) ???

4) I returned to thailand earlier this year (after turned 21) to visit with my British passport and have no problem with entry.

5) I believe that my Thai visa is expire and I still got my Thai ID but its currently at my house (I live at Uni)

so my questions are;

1) If Want to go back there for work/live will this be a problem? (I Think so?)

2) could I get Visa as a Brits to work?

3) Will I need to do the army service?

p.s - I know there are few of these questions already in this form but I just want to ask again just to see if things changed?

Thank you In advance

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) If Want to go back there for work/live will this be a problem? (I Think so?)

Not if you use your Thai ID

2) could I get Visa as a Brits to work?

Why if you have Thai ID

3) Will I need to do the army service?

If you are Thai you go in the Lotto same as every Thai national (or jail if you don't want to go)

Regardless of your British citizenship you are still a Thai natonal and as such fall into the same catagory as any Thai national so yes you would have to take your chances.

• Like 1

Please don't take this the wrong way, but don't you have any family here in Thailand who can answer all your questions?

You still speak fluently Thai?

I do but I do but they are busy atm. (time different) and Im researching now and looking for more answer.

I cant really speak thai. english is pretty much now my only language I speak. however i Understand thai well.

If you hold Thai citizenship, then you are eligible for conscription.

Seriously, you expect to be able to go to Thailand and take advantage of your Thai citizenship, but not have to accept the responsibility of military service that goes along with it? I can see you have assimilated well in the UK. tongue.png

well I dont really have a choice coming to UK as my mum got a job here... and if i dont want to take a responsibility as a thai person, why would i want to go back now? Im not trying to run away from the army service or anything because my dad is in the army anyway.. just writing to ask a simple question to see what the best option for retuning 'home'

• Like 1

Go in the armed forces and don't be scared. If you don't want to then stay away from Thailand, simple.

like I said on the reply. I am aware of situation. I was wondering if things have changed and see different options.

Seriously, you expect to be able to go to Thailand and take advantage of your Thai citizenship, but not have to accept the responsibility of military service that goes along with it? I can see you have assimilated well in the UK. tongue.png

well I dont really have a choice coming to UK as my mum got a job here... and if i dont want to take a responsibility as a thai person, why would i want to go back now? Im not trying to run away from the army service or anything because my dad is in the army anyway.. just writing to ask a simple question to see what the best option for retuning 'home'

"to see what is the best option for returning home"

Do it the Thai way, let your family propose an amnesty bill!! whistling.gif

• Like 1

"to see what is the best option for returning home"

Do it the Thai way, let your family propose an amnesty bill!! whistling.gif

Money talks. typical way.

silly question But can you even eat real Thai food in Thailand , My wife is Thai but she gets problems because she has lived in England for a number of years, maybe her stomac has been sterlized

Funny story. I have got food poisoning on my first visite after moving to UK.. was in hospital for good few days. but Thai docs are great compare to the UK... but yeah Just be careful and dont go too hard on the first few days! also dont drink tap water there like you said the stomach has been sterilised!

Its a serious question which has been derailed by an idiot.

Back on topic anyone?

I think the serious question has been answered. If he goes back to Thailand, he'll be liable for National Service, and his British nationality is irrelevant to that.

There's plenty other threads on how to avoid National Service, if one is liable.

SC

Could people with answers help answer the questions?

If you don't have the answer that's fine, but lets cut out all the other non relevant stuff.

As a Thai male citizen, you are required to go through army conscription in some way. You either go to the lotto pick, or you can go to training a for a couple of years (I think.....not sure). Many at schools and universities do that...part time army training thing. Research that.

What's confusing is your questions about the visa and work permit. With a Thai ID you shouldn't need a work permit.

But these are just my general thoughts. Hopefully someone with specific ideas can guide you in the right direction.

• Like 1

Its a serious question which has been derailed by an idiot.

Back on topic anyone?

I think the serious question has been answered. If he goes back to Thailand, he'll be liable for National Service, and his British nationality is irrelevant to that.

There's plenty other threads on how to avoid National Service, if one is liable.

SC

Forgot the mention that i am deft in one ear. I dont think I will be Eligible for the service anyway. but if I do return I will just go to the service :) no big deal.

Its a serious question which has been derailed by an idiot.Back on topic anyone?I think the serious question has been answered. If he goes back to Thailand, he'll be liable for National Service, and his British nationality is irrelevant to that.There's plenty other threads on how to avoid National Service, if one is liable.SC

I believe he is asking if its possible to enter and exit using his UK passport....yet work using his Thai ID without being called up for military service.

Perhaps the OP can clarify?

Could people with answers help answer the questions? If you don't have the answer that's fine, but lets cut out all the other non relevant stuff. As a Thai male citizen, you are required to go through army conscription in some way. You either go to the lotto pick, or you can go to training a for a couple of years (I think.....not sure). Many at schools and universities do that...part time army training thing. Research that. What's confusing is your questions about the visa and work permit. With a Thai ID you shouldn't need a work permit. But these are just my general thoughts. Hopefully someone with specific ideas can guide you in the right direction.

Honestly. my idea was to go back there for a year to work. but I didn't realise about the army service thing until today. that why i was slightly confused. but thank you for answering my question.

Its a serious question which has been derailed by an idiot.Back on topic anyone?I think the serious question has been answered. If he goes back to Thailand, he'll be liable for National Service, and his British nationality is irrelevant to that.There's plenty other threads on how to avoid National Service, if one is liable.SC

I believe he is asking if its possible to enter and exit using his UK passport....yet work using his Thai ID without being called up for military service.

Perhaps the OP can clarify?

I just want to know if i can go back there to stay and work, for a year also.. that's all.

You don't need to have good gramma or great English language skills to ask questions on this forum. Just as long as people understand and they are within forum rules that's all that matters, Cheers

I think people were doubting that he was Thai brought up in England, because he was as illiterate as an Englishman.

Anyway, is the question about evading National Service, or about getting a job, or about residing in Thailand for a year?

If you reckon your deftness is sufficient to render yourself inelligible for military service (you might want to take advice on that, because most Sergeant Majors would defy even Beethoven's ability to keep to himself) then the key question is: what evidence of Thainess do you need to enter the country?

If the question is: what hope does a British student / graduate with limited Thai language ability and no work experience have of getting legal work in the Kingdom, I would recommend that you assume nil.

If the question is how difficult is it for a British national to find illegal work in Thailand, I cannot comment.

SC

• Like 1

You don't need to have good gramma or great English language skills to ask questions on this forum. Just as long as people understand and they are within forum rules that's all that matters, Cheers

I think people were doubting that he was Thai brought up in England, because he was as illiterate as an Englishman.

Anyway, is the question about evading National Service, or about getting a job, or about residing in Thailand for a year?

If you reckon your deftness is sufficient to render yourself inelligible for military service (you might want to take advice on that, because most Sergeant Majors would defy even Beethoven's ability to keep to himself) then the key question is: what evidence of Thainess do you need to enter the country?

If the question is: what hope does a British student / graduate with limited Thai language ability and no work experience have of getting legal work in the Kingdom, I would recommend that you assume nil.

If the question is how difficult is it for a British national to find illegal work in Thailand, I cannot comment.

SC

thanks man

To be honest, I'm not worry about getting service if I wanna go back and stay there for good. On the other hand I only want to go there and work for a year to see how it goes. but my concern was about getting arrested/putting to service, etc because of my original thai born nationality or ID; if stay there for work. I am inexperience with traveling and this is my first time actually sort things out by self as an 'adult'

but yeah, The main question is - Can I actually stay in thailand for more than 6+ months to work legally or not?

:)

Hmm. Ok. You've got Thai ID and a British passport. You're going to be on a visa and bound by the same rules as Johnny Falang otherwise will incur overstay when leaving.

sadly to say. I have no idea on your 'Johnny Falang' reference.. haha