C.m. Police To Begin Checking Vehicle Emissions And Issuing Red Tags For Vehicles That Fail

elektrified

Arn't emission tests done at annual renewal of registration ? While following songteaws blowing black smoke have often wondered how they ever passed without exchange of a few baht. Maybe they should start talking to the testers too

• Like 2

Slowly but surely the Western beaurocracy is creeping into Thai laws and regulations, and rightly so in most cases, especially health and safety. and traffic laws.

but seriously, a red tag.....it would need to be awarded to every songthaew and tuk tuk; hahaha, with what stipulation attached to it "mr driver please promise you will get this checked within a week and bring the emissions test to the station"

i think not.

Slowly but surely the Western beaurocracy is creeping into Thai laws and regulations, and rightly so in most cases, especially health and safety. and traffic laws.

but seriously, a red tag.....it would need to be awarded to every songthaew and tuk tuk; hahaha, with what stipulation attached to it "mr driver please promise you will get this checked within a week and bring the emissions test to the station"

i think not.

Most of the tuk-tuks appear to be powered by LPG, but obviously not all. While the 2-stroke oil emissions are not pleasant, diesel is far worse, and also the fine particles are downright dangerous to breathe in.

In some countries, issuing a yellow sticker is put on the vehicle by the police and maybe only be removed by the police, following repairs.

Let's hope something is really being done, as the March-April smoke combined with the vehicle pollution is surely driving the tourists away, if not killing off the population.

• Like 1

it's a good trend anyway.

Might make substandard vehicles less likely to visit the city.

Who knows about implementation. I am amazed how many people still don't wear helmets in the city.

I agree about the helmets but my observation is that the police are now out at checkpoints on a daily basis stopping and fining riders without helmets. Used to be once a week or something. Maybe some progress is being made.

Arn't emission tests done at annual renewal of registration ? While following songteaws blowing black smoke have often wondered how they ever passed without exchange of a few baht. Maybe they should start talking to the testers too

Seems you have never been present when an 'annual renewal of registration' is carried out. I've had it done on three occasions and it takes ten minutes as the guy checks the frame number against the paperwork, checks the brakes on a rolling road, takes the paper with the numbers into the office and comes out with your bill for 200 Baht. You go back a week later for your 'Tax Disc'-690 Baht and that's it for another year. There are no emission tests, or any other tests where I used to go and I've never hears of anyone having an emission test wherever they have gone.

Anyway; I hope the Police are serious about doing something positive this time and not just putting up posters which solves nothing.

Seems you have never been present when an 'annual renewal of registration' is carried out. I've had it done on three occasions and it takes ten minutes as the guy checks the frame number against the paperwork, checks the brakes on a rolling road, takes the paper with the numbers into the office and comes out with your bill for 200 Baht. You go back a week later for your 'Tax Disc'-690 Baht and that's it for another year. There are no emission tests, or any other tests where I used to go and I've never hears of anyone having an emission test wherever they have gone.

Anyway; I hope the Police are serious about doing something positive this time and not just putting up posters which solves nothing.

I had mine done (the road tax or whatever they call it thing) last week. Same as you, quick check on the rolling road and a short wait, good to go.

While I was waiting, though, I noticed they DO seem to have the equipment there for emmissions tests. I did wonder why they didn't use it but on closer inspection, it was in a pretty decrepit state and I wondered if it was even serviceable...

Where I live, there's a steep incline on the 107 just before the turning for my road, and I often get stuck behind lorries, buses & songtaew foot to the floor and struggling to make 10kph, and spewing a wall of black so thick you can barely see through it...

Edited by bobl

You have high sulphur diesel being sold via pumps, nor do the police doing the emission check have a clue on how it should be carried out,. Throw in a diesel engine is at its worst pollution level when it is idiling around the moat, although the posted (60) speed limit there is higher than outside the city.

The Highway police have been using these devices for the past few years, I was tested, ticketed for excessive smoke, went to Isuzu and CM diesel and got a clean bill of health, no adjust/repair required (truck 2 year old) Presented this this documentation when I went fo pay disputed ticket (500 baht). I was told to carry and present ticket receipt at next emossion check and I would be exempt from the test. This proved true for the wife 2 years later.

• Like 1

"there will be police checks and the police will be armed with emission testers. They will issue a green tag if you pass, a red tag if you fail and as I understand it, the car will be impounded."

Thank God. clap2.gif

Edited by mesquite

You have high sulphur diesel being sold via pumps, nor do the police doing the emission check have a clue on how it should be carried out,. Throw in a diesel engine is at its worst pollution level when it is idiling around the moat, although the posted (60) speed limit there is higher than outside the city.

The Highway police have been using these devices for the past few years, I was tested, ticketed for excessive smoke, went to Isuzu and CM diesel and got a clean bill of health, no adjust/repair required (truck 2 year old) Presented this this documentation when I went fo pay disputed ticket (500 baht). I was told to carry and present ticket receipt at next emossion check and I would be exempt from the test. This proved true for the wife 2 years later.

That sounds very typical.. Just about any vehicle could fail it seems, especially if you've been driving it very calmly for a while, then they suddenly rev it up for the test.

Made a mental note to rev it up good at least once a day to clear the shit out.

And of course there are good online resources to avoid checkpoints of any type.

it's a good trend anyway.

Might make substandard vehicles less likely to visit the city.

Who knows about implementation. I am amazed how many people still don't wear helmets in the city.

A thing like this could lead to people collecting red tags and the BIB receiving more money,

I always get a laugh when I see the check points stopping Motor bikes for no helmet and in the mean time many helmet less riders passing them by. You would think that they would have sense enough to have one officer just wave them over until the other officers could get to them. In fact I have seen times when all the officers were not busy and helmet less riders were allowed to pass.

Always had emission test done at the test station I use in saraphi. Always passes. My truck has blown some black smoke on steep hills since new, same as all the other trucks of the same model. But that's not typical driving. I've been ticketed by the cops once at one of their emission check points. The way they rev the truck up at least 3 times for quite a duration to carry out the test, I wouldn't want any truck of mine to be tested again. Doubt it's good for the engine. Leave the checks to those who might know more about what they're doing.

They check the emissions on on our car every year when we get the certificate.

I had mine done (the road tax or whatever they call it thing) last week. Same as you, quick check on the rolling road and a short wait, good to go.

While I was waiting, though, I noticed they DO seem to have the equipment there for emmissions tests. I did wonder why they didn't use it but on closer inspection, it was in a pretty decrepit state and I wondered if it was even serviceable...

Where I live, there's a steep incline on the 107 just before the turning for my road, and I often get stuck behind lorries, buses & songtaew foot to the floor and struggling to make 10kph, and spewing a wall of black so thick you can barely see through it...

I believe (and could be wrong) that they only check the emissions on cars older than 7 years. Anyone know this to be true?

I believe (and could be wrong) that they only check the emissions on cars older than 7 years. Anyone know this to be true?

Sounds plausible, but mine turns 11 this year...

Electrified is correct. Emissions checks are done on vehicles older than 7 years. Whenever I go to the yearly reregister the car, the insurance lady always asks for the emissions check paperwork. Don't know how these older vehicles ever pass. Maybe they are not even registered.

Oh to believe that effective checks will happen.

I still say the worse year for our yearly Smog was when the Flower Project happened and Thais from all over came to visit in the large Tour Buses spewing megga black clouds all over CM.

Our home grown Diesels are bad enough, especially the older models with individual injectors and of course the masses of Two Stoke M/Cycles and Tuk Tuks.

john

Because they've privatized checkpoint places; they're commercial businesses, who know very well that if they ever fail my truck for any reason, it will be the last time I use them. smile.png

I remember in UK, the places carrying out the MOT tests were also commercial mechanics workshops who carried out repairs. Always suspected they were finding faults to drum up business.

Well, good for the police for enforcing vehicle emissions. I look forward to the day when the police start enforcing traffic laws like running red lights, stop signs, speeding, going the wrong way on one way streets, riding motorcycles on what little footpaths exist, and giving pedestrians the right away, instead of scaring the bejesus out of them by seeing how close they can come without running them over, lol.

When they do run them over, they tend to keep going like nothing happened. OMG! This doesn't mean that I don't like living here. Its about common sense and the safety of others. Enforcing traffic laws saves lives.

The CM police may have gotten a cut rate deal from the UK, bomb/explosive detectors and a few knock off emmission tester thrown in.

The end result will probably be the same, money in a few individuals pockets.

• 1 month later...

I hope they actually enforce it. The red songtaews and tuk tuks are getting worse and worse with all that black smoke.

Getting really tired of it.