Monthly Costs For A Single Person?

Malthus101

No matter where you are based, Thailand is not as cheap as it once was, especially if you're reliant on western currency, you can get by on relatively little (THB30k or a little less) but you'd have to cut back on a lot and live like a Thai who doesn't go out much.

Edited by Stjohnm

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter where you are based, Thailand is not as cheap as it once was, especially if you're reliant on western currency, you can get by on relatively little (THB30k or a little less) but you'd have to cut back on a lot and live like a Thai who doesn't go out much.

well that is very true - for Brits it's depressingly 44/45 compared with 71/72 to the THB someone on a 1,000 GBP pension was getting 72,000 now 45,0000 a drop of nearly 40%

Yeah well, I'm in Thailand to study so not being able to get pissed or go out all the time is probably a good incentive to stay in and study! If I get a place with a pool and a gym, a small kitchen so I can prepare breakfast at home (say coffee and oatmeal or pancakes) than means I can eat Thai street food for lunch and dinner, no more than 100 Baht each even in BKK.

Once a week I could go to a Western place or something fancier, beers at home from 7/11 a few times a week and drinking/bars/clubbing saved for the weekend...

Free pool, free gym, meditation (free) study (free!)...

Maybe I can splurge on a yoga class! We shall see.

Big spending comes after my study is complete - then I'll just buy myself a nice apartment in BKK and live the 1st class life that binjalin seems to enjoy!

A million baht a month should cover it. Everyone needs a couple of maids and a mercedes 300 for the butler. And eating at Dukes every night and afternoon is not cheap. And you do need a couple bottles of expensive imported wine at every meal. Then of course there are the helicopter rides down to the beach areas in the Andaman Sea. And, if you are a young man then there are all the imported girls from Issan that don't come cheap.

A sincere question I believe. No sincere answer possible?

30,000 a month is 'live-able' but not great fun - I have met farangs on 15,000 a month but they live very frugally - I think 50/60,000 is a nice lifestyle, 70/80,000 is great and 100+ is magnificent

good luck

"Better" is a more accurate description I think. Magnificent reaches another level.

"100+ is magnificent"

Yeah well, I'm in Thailand to study so not being able to get pissed or go out all the time is probably a good incentive to stay in and study! If I get a place with a pool and a gym, a small kitchen so I can prepare breakfast at home (say coffee and oatmeal or pancakes) than means I can eat Thai street food for lunch and dinner, no more than 100 Baht each even in BKK.

Once a week I could go to a Western place or something fancier, beers at home from 7/11 a few times a week and drinking/bars/clubbing saved for the weekend...

Free pool, free gym, meditation (free) study (free!)...

Maybe I can splurge on a yoga class! We shall see.

Big spending comes after my study is complete - then I'll just buy myself a nice apartment in BKK and live the 1st class life that binjalin seems to enjoy!

well... best wishes with it.... I actually slogged through a full career before I even considered living here permanently - so I grafted to set myself up - I must say i would never have contemplated coming during my 'full-on' career gig as I was too busy climbing that wretched 'corporate ladder' (most of which is BS but that's another story) cheers!

• Like 1

30,000 a month is 'live-able' but not great fun - I have met farangs on 15,000 a month but they live very frugally - I think 50/60,000 is a nice lifestyle, 70/80,000 is great and 100+ is magnificent

good luck

"Better" is a more accurate description I think. Magnificent reaches another level.

"100+ is magnificent"

well everything is relative tongue.png

you think 30,000 is enough for BKK? it's barely enough here - I would say 80,000 min in BKK and 50,000 here but as you seem to like '2nd class sleepers' maybe you'll fit in? rather you than me

The advantage of Bangkok is that it has more bridges to sleep under than Chiangmai.

• Like 1

if you take things slow you may end up in a relationship with a wonderful young lady, but you're unlikely to find one-night stands with any women other than pros.

Ive never understood why people take things slow, why find out if they are psycho in 6 months when you can escape in 2...

Carry On

Thanks for the tips - to be honest, I've spent most of today checking out the prices of condos in BKK - it's not that bad at all - they have some really nice ones for between 15K-20K, near to the MRT. That would leave me 30,000 Baht a month in BKK for bills and food and fun.

Not a huge sum for BKK but I know I could do it.

I think CM is too tiny for me - BKK may have terrible traffic and polution but at least it has vice and zest! Walking round the Sunday market tonight, I dunno, it's so twee. Families and couples and girls who have "found spitiuality" vegans/veggies etc... Yuck. I hate that shit! And the Soi where I live, it's like walking round the bars in the Australian outback.

That's what CM feels like to me - a cross between a small village in Feudal Japan, a lefty "organic" hippy market in some twatish part of London and the Australian outback. None of these are very appeailing.

I may pay more in BKK and maybe I won't make a full year but I think I'd rather have the bars and the nightclubs and the hecic streetlife and shopping malls. I'm also happy to run into loads more backpacker girls, if ya know wadda mean! They all seem so stuck up and cliquey here. I had one Swedish looking woman cough and wave her hands in front of her face because I dared to smoke a cigarette at the market! Bitch, it's <deleted> Thaialnd! I hate these do-gooder NGO types... If you don't like Thaialnd, F off back to your boring Western civilsation!

Sorry... ranting... I think the islolation is getting to me!

Aah... Now where's my friend Mr. Chang? There he is, hiding in the fridge again. Come here silly....

LOL you mean you dont like all the dirty hippies with tie dyed baggy pants?

CNX is no cheaper than BKK if you stay away from Sukhumvit road.

if you take things slow you may end up in a relationship with a wonderful young lady, but you're unlikely to find one-night stands with any women other than pros.

Ive never understood why people take things slow, why find out if they are psycho in 6 months when you can escape in 2...

Carry On

The women under discussion were middle class Thai university students, not professional hustlers who use a man's penis to get at his wallet. You go slow with a traditional Thai middle class women because most of them won't allow any other pace. If you don't like slow you an always try to out-hustle the hustlers.

• Like 1

Carry On

The women under discussion were middle class Thai university students, not professional hustlers who use a man's penis to get at his wallet. You go slow with a traditional Thai middle class women because most of them won't allow any other pace. If you don't like slow you an always try to out-hustle the hustlers.

Not true, doesnt matter what background they have... Psychotic behavior will come out regardless...2 months or a year it will come out.

Because you take a year to get close to someone does not mean they are not secretly psycho. It just takes longer to figure it out, and more time for them to figure it out and hide it better.

I dont want to wait a year to find out someone is a hoarder, picks the meat out of food, cant eat anything unless its from Rimping...or gets really pissed when you dont put the sponge in the holder. Let me know in 2 months so i can get the hell out of there please.

Carry On

Not true, doesnt matter what background they have... Psychotic behavior will come out regardless...2 months or a year it will come out.

Because you take a year to get close to someone does not mean they are not secretly psycho. It just takes longer to figure it out, and more time for them to figure it out and hide it better.

I dont want to wait a year to find out someone is a hoarder, picks the meat out of food, cant eat anything unless its from Rimping...or gets really pissed when you dont put the sponge in the holder. Let me know in 2 months so i can get the hell out of there please.

Taking things slow was clearly in the context of sex. In a slow paced traditional relationship the man and woman will spend a great deal of time together, doing things like shopping, dining, and mundane chores together, they just won't have sex, or kiss or get into heavy petting, until very late in the relationship, possibly not until after marriage. They have plenty of time to discover if their partner is a psycho, or just a loser, during this slow process, which is why many women insist upon it.

Are you saying you can't tell if a woman is a psycho until after you've had sex with her? Perhaps that's your problem, in my experience it's the women who want to rush into an intimate relationship that are most likely to be a lot of trouble.

Carry On

It would be awfully convenient if psychos just announced themselves early on in a relationship. Wait, they do; the signs are almost always there, but the guy is usually so addled by love or horniness that he refuses to see them.

T

• Like 1

Taking things slow was clearly in the context of sex. In a slow paced traditional relationship the man and woman will spend a great deal of time together, doing things like shopping, dining, and mundane chores together, they just won't have sex, or kiss or get into heavy petting, until very late in the relationship, possibly not until after marriage. They have plenty of time to discover if their partner is a psycho, or just a loser, during this slow process, which is why many women insist upon it.

Are you saying you can't tell if a woman is a psycho until after you've had sex with her? Perhaps that's your problem, in my experience it's the women who want to rush into an intimate relationship that are most likely to be a lot of trouble.

Where did i mention sex in my post? Are you assuming things just like a psychotic woman would?

Where did i mention sex in my post? Are you assuming things just like a psychotic woman would?

Going back to the original statement that you commented on " if you take things slow you may end up in a relationship with a wonderful young lady, but you're unlikely to find one-night stands with any women other than pros."

Clearly the original statement contrasted a slow approach to a relationhip versus the expectation of immediate sex. You replied "Ive never understood why people take things slow, why find out if they are psycho in 6 months when you can escape in 2..." That struck me as an argument against waiting for sex, but perhaps I misunderstood you. If so, what did you think could be learned in two months in your approach to a relationship, whatever it is, that a person taking things slow would not learn in the same two months?

Did you think that "take things slow" implies not getting to know your partner, being blind to irrational behaviour, or sticking it out in even if the partner turns out to be psycho? If so it's an odd interpretation, most people understand that the purpose of going slow is to get to know your potential partner before making a serious commitment.

You can live alone on 30k even in BKK , I have done it myself -

I rented a 10k condo and 20k covered food and clothes and transport and internet and phone and a beer once in a while .

No problem at all . Thais do it all the time.

Ummm! Isn't this off topic?

That's what always happens by page 5 - oh well, let's see how it goes. I remind you all the topic is about 'Monthly Costs For A Single Person'

Yeah, sorry. The OP was clearly interested in the monthly cost for a single person who wanted to enjoy female companionship without paying for it, and things kind of took off from there.