Thai License - International License

willfreeman

Hi, did you need to provide a Certificate of Residency in order to obtain a Thai Driver's Licence?

If so, where did you get it from, as i am aware, that the Immigration Dept. in Chiang Mai currently is not issuing them.

Did you have to go to the Australian Ambassy in Bang Kok?

Any info will be appreciated.

i got a residency letter issued from the australian consulate here in chiang mai, they accepted that. he is located out ont 118 road to doi saket, on the left hand side, basically opposite of the caltex, his office is in the back of a 'garden centre' selling pavers and statues. just bring your passport and letter from your hotel/condo, there was no fee and i could pick the letter up the next day.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ll=18.813731,99.032274&spn=0.00144,0.002642&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=18.813915,99.032161&panoid=Mjisi2v2m39MpDHnrEYxPA&cbp=12,319.26,,0,12.79

• Like 1

Thai licenses are issued in English. You will not need an IDP for most countries. But I think you can make one, just not sure where.

i want one to make sure any travel insurance is valid in case of car/bike accident when outside of australia or thailand.

One can obtain an IDP at Hang Don Land Transport, requirements similar to regular TH license. I do not recall the requirements exactly, but 2 glossy photos are needed. Good for one year. Upstairs a small piece of paper with the requirements is available upon request. Do not recall the requirement for a 5-year TH domestic license first, but the post above makes sense.

But why get an IDP? I've driven in countries all over the world and never yet found one where an IDP is of any value. I'm currently in England, driving on a 5 year Thai license.

Does the old bill know?

If you are from the UK and have a driving licence and a Thai licence you do not need a IDP to drive in the UK.If you are not resident in the uk and live in Thailand you are required to use the Thai licence if you visit for a Holiday.

For what its worth I got stopped in Hua Hin and the very pleasant cop asked to see my THAI licence which I had.

I asked him what was the problem ? His words" there are too many falangs living here, driving on their home country licence or international licences .He added if you live "permanently" in Thailand you should have a Thai licence.Of course if others have a different explanation, from another official, in another area that's quite normal

• Like 2

when i travel to USA (california) i rent cars and show my thai drivers license..have never been asked for US or international license.

Just returned from the USA. Drove and rented cars on my 5 year Thai license from New York to South Carolina no problem at all. A one year Thai licenses is NOT accepted its a TEMPORARY LICENSEES and says so at top and will be refused.

when i travel to USA (california) i rent cars and show my thai drivers license..have never been asked for US or international license.

Just returned from the USA. Drove and rented cars on my 5 year Thai license from New York to South Carolina no problem at all. A one year Thai licenses is NOT accepted its a TEMPORARY LICENSEES and says so at top and will be refused.
They accepted a Thai license for a rental over there? That surprises me, that they would accept a license from a developing country like Thailand...somehow I'm not convinced a 1-year license would be refused if they accept 5-year ones. If you've never tested it, how would you know? As long as the license is still valid, I don't see the issue.

They accepted a Thai license for a rental over there? That surprises me, that they would accept a license from a developing country like Thailand...somehow I'm not convinced a 1-year license would be refused if they accept 5-year ones. If you've never tested it, how would you know? As long as the license is still valid, I don't see the issue.

yOU MAY NOT SEE THE ISSUE. But the LAW does. It is fairly simple the Thai 1 year licence is classified as a temporary or probationary licence. And is not subject to the licence agreements..

But why get an IDP? I've driven in countries all over the world and never yet found one where an IDP is of any value. I'm currently in England, driving on a 5 year Thai license.

Does the old bill know?

If you are from the UK and have a driving licence and a Thai licence you do not need a IDP to drive in the UK.If you are not resident in the uk and live in Thailand you are required to use the Thai licence if you visit for a Holiday.

I'm from England and heading back there soon and have a 5 year Thai license (and no British license). Will I be able to drive back in England? And for how long until I need to get my UK License?

Does the old bill know?

I'm from England and heading back there soon and have a 5 year Thai license (and no British license). Will I be able to drive back in England? And for how long until I need to get my UK License?

If you do not have a UK driving license you will also have to have a IDP as well has your 5 year Thai driving license You will then be able to drive in the Uk for 12 months without a Uk license.

Edited by fcgprg

As far as using a IDL in the States goes, you will find the laws of each state may vary. It's true that most states accept most other countries DL but some states such as Florida require anyone from another country to have a IDL as they will not accept any other nations DL for driving in Florida. All the car rental agencies in Florida follow this rule.

As far as using a IDL in the States goes, you will find the laws of each state may vary. It's true that most states accept most other countries DL but some states such as Florida require anyone from another country to have a IDL as they will not accept any other nations DL for driving in Florida. All the car rental agencies in Florida follow this rule.

actually, apparently florida backed down from that requirement: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/florida-backs-down-on-enforcing-new-international-drivers-licence-law/article8666459/

but your point is well made, as rules might vary state by state... but according to that article, it might well be illegal for ANY state in USA to require an IDL from a participating country in that geneva pact, mentioned in the article... and to be quite honest, i don't know if thailand was a country that signed that pact (says 70 countries signed).

"If you do not have a UK driving license you will also have to have a IDP as well has your 5 year Thai driving license You will then be able to drive in the Uk for 12 months without a Uk license".

The answer above is not correct. Best to go straight to the UK government website to get the real info. You do NOT need an IDP. The government website states clearly that you can drive for 12 months with your license from your country of residence.

"If you do not have a UK driving license you will also have to have a IDP as well has your 5 year Thai driving license You will then be able to drive in the Uk for 12 months without a Uk license".

The answer above is not correct. Best to go straight to the UK government website to get the real info. You do NOT need an IDP. The government website states clearly that you can drive for 12 months with your license from your country of residence.

If you have not got a UK license you will not be able to hire a car in the UK ,also if you are stopped by the police and have not got a UK driving license they will ask to see your IDP as happened to me in York 2011. It does quote that on their website but I am only reporting on what happened to me.

Edited by fcgprg

If you have not got a UK license you will not be able to hire a car in the UK ,also if you are stopped by the police and have not got a UK driving license they will ask to see your IDP as happened to me in York 2011. It does quote that on their website but I am only reporting on what happened to me.

I'm afraid this is simply not correct. I hired a car from a major company in the UK just two weeks ago using a Thai drivers license. There was no question of an IDP or any other requirement. And the OFFICIAL UK govenrment website says you can drive on your home country license, as I have done in the UK many times.

I'm afraid this is simply not correct. I hired a car from a major company in the UK just two weeks ago using a Thai drivers license. There was no question of an IDP or any other requirement. And the OFFICIAL UK govenrment website says you can drive on your home country license, as I have done in the UK many times.

Again I can only give you my experience ,I am not disputing what you are saying but that happened to me in York 2 years ago.

I am going over next month and hope to hire a car at Heathrow using my Thai licence. Which rental company did you use? What proof of address documents did you need?

I am going over next month and hope to hire a car at Heathrow using my Thai licence. Which rental company did you use? What proof of address documents did you need?
I did this a few years ago with an old-type Thai licence. Can't remember the third-party hire company, but when I picked up the car it was with Alamo or Enterprise or somebody. Don't imagine I needed any ID beyond passport, DL, credit card.