You Heard It Here First...................

KarenBravo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a little strange they are expanding in Thailand, as they have just announced they are pulling out of the US.

I believe Thailand is one of their strongest markets,which makes sense really as there is little competition is there not.

Edited by stoneyboy

That's a little strange they are expanding in Thailand, as they have just announced they are pulling out of the US.

They have just started work on a distribution centre in the NE and have plans for 2 more in the North and at Sura Thani in the South. Why is it strange they are expanding in this region just because they want out of the American market ?

America is a much harder nut to crack in supermarket business .

Coal's to Newcastle springs to mind

• Like 1

They have just started work on a distribution centre in the NE and have plans for 2 more in the North and at Sura Thani in the South. Why is it strange they are expanding in this region just because they want out of the American market ?

I'm not a shareholder of theirs, so, I don't know their financials for their operation in Thailand.

I simply ask the question because they "expanded" in the US, and are now pulling out, and it's not so long ago that Carrefour also pulled out of Thailand.

This is going to make it very confusing when people say "Near the big Tesco Lotus" when giving directions. We will have to change the term again. We used to be able to just say "Near Tesco Lotus, then The the word "big" was added when all the Tesco Lotus Express's and Tesco Lotus Parks's opened up. Any one else notice that or is it just me?

This is going to make it very confusing when people say "Near the big Tesco Lotus" when giving directions. We will have to change the term again. We used to be able to just say "Near Tesco Lotus, then The the word "big" was added when all the Tesco Lotus Express's and Tesco Lotus Parks's opened up. Any one else notice that or is it just me?

Can still say near the tesco next to central or next to the bypass (as the bypass is only like 1km long) or you can use the toyota.

Still baffled they are opening yet an other super market 7km apart. I miss thailand i wont get to enjoy the next 6months of conversation from the locals about the same same tesco

Edited by bearpolar

I believe Thailand is one of their strongest markets,which makes sense really as there is little competition is there not.

big c

i doubt i'll go much, the little one near the circle has everything i need

Edited by stevehaigh

I thought the big c was going to be at the start of the tiger muay thai soi just past suwit stadium

Do you mean the big plot of land on the corner of Chao Fa East & Soi Taiat? Been talked about for a long time & was to include a cinema but no sign of starting yet. Looks like Tesco has the jump on them.

Edited by Valentine

The new site is on Chaofa West, just north of Chalong Animal Hospital (a couple of hundred metres before the PTT gas station). The road frontage is fairly small and currently has metal screening. If you look through the gates though the area is completely levelled and enormous, probably the same size or larger as the Tesco Sam Kong.

• Like 1

there always been talk of a big tesco lotus within patong, at one point it was mentioned to go on the large piece of land at the back of jungcylon, remember all those years ago when living in Patong the trip over the mountain to tesco's and when patong just had one 7/11 on rat-u-tit road, ah the good old days!!!!!!coffee1.gif

I'm not a shareholder of theirs, so, I don't know their financials for their operation in Thailand.

I simply ask the question because they "expanded" in the US, and are now pulling out, and it's not so long ago that Carrefour also pulled out of Thailand.

The preliminary financial results for 2012/13 show a profit of 661 million pounds for Asia (they dont do a county-by-country breakdown) and a 169 million pound trading loss in the USA.

For some reason the "Fresh and Easy" stores in the USA just didn't catch on.

The preliminary financial results for 2012/13 show a profit of 661 million pounds for Asia (they dont do a county-by-country breakdown) and a 169 million pound trading loss in the USA.

For some reason the "Fresh and Easy" stores in the USA just didn't catch on.

Any idea why Carrefour pulled out? Especially the Patong store. It was always busy in there.

Source - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f1c3dbd0-f0a3-11df-8cc5-00144feab49a.html#ixzz2SnHR137B

Lars Olofsson, Carrefour chief executive, is selling the business, as well as its 19 stores in Malaysia and two in Singapore, to focus efforts on countries in which it has a leadership position, or has the top position in sight.

“We were the first international retailer into Thailand but 15 years later we are number five,” Mr Olofsson told the Financial Times in August.

“Carrefour’s growth prospects in Thailand did not allow the group to envisage occupying a leading position in this market in the medium- or long-term,” the group said on Monday.

So, new shopping centres all over the island but still nothing in Kata/Karon.

My theory is that the tuktuk mafia won't sanction a shopping centre here as they will lose their lucrative business taking tourists to Jungceylon and Central Festival.

My theory is that the tuktuk mafia  won't sanction a shopping centre here as they will lose their lucrative business taking tourists to Jungceylon and Central Festival. 

Ok. You can accept that as the reason.

Maybe the land prices and availability in the area make Chalong a more suitable location.

No big and cost affective pieces of land in Kata/Karon.

The US has many places that put tesco lotus to shame.

They can not compete in the US.

Here in Thailand, Farangs have little choice. Makko or 7 - 11 or Tesco.

Give me a Trader Joe's or even a Safeway any day thank you!

My theory is that the tuktuk mafia won't sanction a shopping centre here as they will lose their lucrative business taking tourists to Jungceylon and Central Festival.

Maybe the land prices and availability in the area make Chalong a more suitable location.

Got to agree with hans on this one. Land is expensive, there's not a lot of open big spaces for sale, and what retailer would want to take up valuable real estate for a car park? No cark park, no expats shopping there.

Got to agree with hans on this one. Land is expensive, there's not a lot of open big spaces for sale, and what retailer would want to take up valuable real estate for a car park? No cark park, no expats shopping there.

My theory was a bit tongue in cheek. We know the land's too expensive, hence that plot near the Hilton Arcadia being empty despite being in a prime location.