Everyday Driving Skills Teacher Needed

topt

My girl friend passed her test but has not done a lot of driving since. One of the reasons being that she is not confident with the manual gear change in the truck we have. We both believe this would come with practice but the lack of confidence stops her practicing by herself and unfortunately I am not there for long enough at a stretch to make this happen.

She wants to find a practised and patient Thai driver/instructor to sit with her and help her with "lessons" which could be for one to two hours 3/4 times per week for say a month or whatever works for both parties.

On the basis that most TV members learnt in the west can they please ask their partners (if they drive) if they know of any instructors they could recommend who can teach everyday driving skills and not just the manouvers needed to pass the test? So driving on local roads and Sukhumvit and not just in a car park although that could be part of the first lesson or two.

Another option is if they know of any family members or close friends who they know are good drivers (and experienced in driving a manual vehicle) who has the time and patience and would not mind earning some extra dosh - and is local to Pattaya?

Knowing that this is probably a bit of a long shot thanks in advance for any helpful responses thumbsup.gif

In the past I gave professional 'FARANG' driving lessons for free to several friends/girlfriends, but if you are already asking for a 'Thai driver/instructor' I am sure the quality and importance of learning how to drive responsible without causing accidents is defenitely NOT what counts for you...

My wife took a driving course from a company right across from Foodland. Can't remember the name, but it's directly across from the driveway as you exit. Right next to the big computer company there.

She wasn't 100% confident after the course was finished, so we hired him for an extra 10 hours of one on one driving. He was very patient and an excellent instructor. Can't remember the price, but it was very reasonable.

My wife took a driving course from a company right across from Foodland. Can't remember the name, but it's directly across from the driveway as you exit. Right next to the big computer company there.

She wasn't 100% confident after the course was finished, so we hired him for an extra 10 hours of one on one driving. He was very patient and an excellent instructor. Can't remember the price, but it was very reasonable.

my wife too

almost same story , 20 hours + 10 more

the guy is highly recommended

In the past I gave professional 'FARANG' driving lessons for free to several friends/girlfriends, but if you are already asking for a 'Thai driver/instructor' I am sure the quality and importance of learning how to drive responsible without causing accidents is defenitely NOT what counts for you...

Maybe I should have said "fluent Thai speaker" as it was felt that instructions in her native language would be better in a stressful situation. Since this was her request your prejudice is sadly ill informed.

"good Thai driver" ... is it a joke ?

And let a Thai drive a manual gear car is a second joke...

One can always be hopeful - and according to the next 2 replies there is at least one in Pattaya smile.png

I do not understand your second comment however. Please explain especially if as I expect figures would show quote a high percentage of manual "truck" drivers in Thailand?

my wife too

Guys thanks for this. Any chance you have a name there?

I think this was actually the school she used for her lessons but she was not impressed with the younger instructors she had.

Also any idea at all on price?

"good Thai driver" ... is it a joke ?

And let a Thai drive a manual gear car is a second joke...

i insisted my wife learnt to drive in a manual vehicle

she now drives an auto

however she can go from one to the other with ease

she is an excellent driver

no accidents in 7 years

so wheres the joke?

>

my wife too

I think this was actually the school she used for her lessons but she was not impressed with the younger instructors she had.

i will ask her if she remembers his name

it was years ago and was about 2500 for a 20 lesson block

gas was about 3 baht a litre then though........LOL

My wife also had something like 15 hours by a company on Naklua road. First small roads on the dark side and then later on the more demanding Sukhumvit road.

Very cheap compared to the West.

My wife can only drive auto transmission cars/trucks, no need to learn manual trans here in LOS as we will only be buying truck/cars in auto mode.

Naklua sorn chub rodyun, near Naklua fish market.

>

my wife too

Thanks. If it was 7 years ago he probably moved on but worth an ask if she can remember it.

Sorry screwed up on the quotes

Edited by topt

>

my wife too

Thanks. If it was 7 years ago he probably moved on but worth an ask if she can remember it.

just asked her

she can't remember his name but says he would be in his late 40's by now

>

my wife too

just asked her

she can't remember his name but says he would be in his late 40's by now

Thanks

The guy who taught my wife was Soy. She was quite happy with him. Good luck!!

Thanks - I just want her to be comfortable driving as it will make some things a lot easier especially when I am not there.

Unfortunately turns out she knows who Soy is and won't be using him sad.png

Can anybody recommend a Thai speaking private individual who may be interested and capable?

do you want me to speak to my wife about it?

Unfortunately turns out she knows who Soy is and won't be using him sad.png

Can anybody recommend a Thai speaking private individual who may be interested and capable?

do you want me to speak to my wife about it?

That would be great thanks.

I was working with a traffic school in Sweden many years ago and perhaps i have some useful information of how to teach. The trick is to isolate the problem and focus on that. Not mix changing gear with handling traffic. This is the basic strategy:

Find a road with so little traffic as possible. Say the number of gear you want and let her change into that gear without changing speed. on a straight road. Ask for a new speed and repeat the changing of gear. Later do it when you come close to a turn, shift down to gear 2 without changing speed or use the engine to slow the speed down (not brakes). With this teaching you will put the gear-changing in the spine memory, creating natural reflexes.

If the handling of the car is to be taught you can do the same thing there. Find an empty parking or other space and put up some traffic cones. Do some simple drills. Drive after the cones and tech backing, parking etc. When you later get into real traffic the manouvoring and gear changing is already there.