Thaksin Given Ultimatum To Resign Within 48 Hours

george

*sigh*

Perhaps ABAC should do a poll to determine if any weight should be given to their polls and the news reports describing the results.

The news says only that people are fed up with anti-Thaksin rallies, while the poll reveals that people are fed up with ALL rallies.

... and then to top it off, they omit the obviously most important question to poll on....

Will you vote for TRT, No Vote, or Fringe Party?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but Thaksin has hit a brick wall - he can't go on farmers' support only.

Gotta disagree on this part of your observation Plus.

Yes he can and will, that IS his entire strategy. Farmers also have large support in the cities too, klong Toey, taxi drivers, motocyke drivers etc.

As long as the status quo remains, this segment of the population will continue to be made to feel dependant, instead of actually progressing in real terms. A complete sell out that some here amazingly defend, this while any slightly educated person could see through it :o

It's a simple task to perpetuate a paternailstic society, all for a trade off for votes for the REAL unstated cause- just a tad cyncical tho. As easy as offering candies to babies- as their mouths rot.

Still, would prefer to see this resolved at the ballot box. Those voting 'NO VOTE', to show their displeasure and pray for a shot at actual reform of institutions, or YES, if one believes in the tooth fairy. :D

Edit/ PAD ultimatums are simply asinine.

Edited by baht&sold

Residency does not entitle one to vote in Thailand

I think you will find PR does. :o You can apply for Thai citizenship once you have had PR for 5 years and meet the other qualifications. Once you have Thai citizenship, you can own land, vote, be a Thai shareholder and do not need a work permit.

a Natrualized citizen (or a citizen) can vote ... after all you are a citizen

Residency does not entitle one to vote

http://www.thaivisa.com/300.0.html.

and according to that ^^

An alien with permanent residency status will be eligible to apply for Thai citizenship after 10 consecutive years under this classification.

Hope you get some better info soon Noodles

A farang friend call me an hour ago and told me that when he was downtown he was walking near a TRT center or something like that and someone started talking to him. The TRT person wanted him to go a rally tomorrow and cheer on Thaksin. He said they would take pictures of him. It was voluntary. My friend told him he was busy. They told him to take some pamphlets and stuff to pass out. He only took one of each just for himself.

I guess its hard for them to find foreigners that support Thaksin. I'm curious if there will be some other farang there in his place tomorrow.

Edited by boppia

I guess its hard for them to find foreigners that support Thaksin. I'm curious if there will be some other farang there in his place tomorrow.

It would be unwise for a foreigner to attend any rallies, pro or con, unless they had press credentials hanging around their neck. While it's one thing to argue here or privately among friends about Thai politics you cannot be sure where the Thai authorities draw the line on foreign involvement. The last thing you want to do is try and explain to an immigration officer why the picture he is holding from some rally has a big red circle around your face because you were holding a sign for a guy that had to run off to go pee for 5 minutes. It's easy to pick out a Farang in a sea of Asian faces.

As Brit said - it's probably best to stay neutral in public.

It is probably just fine to go to any Rally and watch ... you risk the possiblity of violence breaking out, but other than that ... it is likely not to be an issue.

That being said ... I wouldn't be the guy wearing a pro or anti anything shirt :-)

or for Europe that the yanks got involved a few times over the last 100 years etc ...

If the Yanks would not have got involved in 1917 and changed the near stalemate the Great War has found itself, and in addition to that let France get away with the contract of Versailles and the occupation of the industrial centre of the Ruhrgebiet, things might have been a bit different.

Of course it did not exactly help that large US industries bankrolled the NSDAP, and that Henry Ford supplied the Nazis with some of their most important antisemitic writings, for which he got in 1938 Nazi Germany's highest civilian award.

Yes, thank you so much for your altruistic involvement.

Edited by ColPyat

I suppose that from a historical perspective, it's a good thing for the Americans of today that the many French, German, Polish, etc. involved in helping the colonialists during the American Revolution didn't share the same philosophy of complete non-involvement.

That was 230 years ago but this very day in Milwaukee, Phoenix and LA Hispanics are staging huge protest marches across the country, as big as the PAD ones, fighting for the right to have a visa that the US government under new legislation will make almost impossible. 230 years later Americans are still revolting, this time in the streets.

Milwaukee Coverage

Pheonix march

LA Students

I suppose that from a historical perspective, it's a good thing for the Americans of today that the many French, German, Polish, etc. involved in helping the colonialists during the American Revolution didn't share the same philosophy of complete non-involvement.

That was 230 years ago but this very day in Milwaukee, Phoenix and LA Hispanics are staging huge protest marches across the country, as big as the PAD ones, fighting for the right to have a visa that the US government under new legislation will make almost impossible. 230 years later Americans are still revolting, this time in the streets.

Milwaukee Coverage

Pheonix march

LA Students

Good for them!

I fail to see any point other than peaceful assembly is OK ....

That people of one background are upset that the US does NOT have an open immigration policy shouldn't be surprising at all!

lol ... OMG :o

a company did something to make a profit?

an individual wrote something?

WOW!

Not "one company" - several of the most important companies of the US: IBM, Chase Manhattan, Standard Oli, Coca Cola, Ford, General Motors, IT&T, etc.

Henry Ford was not just "an individual" - he was one of the most powerful industrialists of the US, and he wasn't alone either. He was in illustrious company of individuals such as Du Pont and even uncle Walt Disney, who was a regular attendee of meetings of the American Nazi Party. Oh, yeah, did i forget Prescot Bush, who was indicted under the trading with the enemy act, and who incidently is the grandfather of present US president.

Any alternative to Thaksin and TRT? Name and party, please!

I asked one taxi driver (he was listening radio speech by some academician on the subject) same question. he said that Anan Panyarachun is best alternative to Thaksin. and many Thais would choose him too.

but he won't agree to participate in elections.

sorry, I missed the result of that "Ultimatum" - what was that "secret weapon" Sondhi promised to unveil, and was it unveied? because it looks like T didn't resign.

It's come and long gone.

As for the Million Man March, Sondhi has downgraded it to the 1/2 million to 300,000 man march.

=================

Sondhi urges 500,000 people to come out to join parade on Sunday

Sondhi Limthongkul, a decision maker of the People's Alliance for Democracy, called on people as much as 300,000 to 500,000 people to gather at the National Stadium on Sunday.

Sondhi said the protesters would then march through Siam past Siam Paragon to Sukhumvit Road to call on people to come out to join in calling for a royally-appointed government.

He said at rally site at Government House 11:40 pm that the march would begin at 10 am.

TN.

The rallies are definitely attracting some crazy people. I remember those fools in Tiananmin Square with their silly Statue of Liberty. What a bunch of kooks they were. I hope the government has locked them up for good. When you have a peaceful society with economic growth and a chance to participate in government, there's really no need to protest. And remember no democracy is perfect, even China's. If Thaksin wins on April 2, it should be considered a mandate by the majority of well-informed Thais. At that point Thaksin will have the power behind him to lock up the protestors and run this country the way he sees right just like George Bush has since his reelection. And once Thaksin wins I think that the Thai people should do something to thank him for hanging in there and fighting for them. The airport could be renamed 'Thaksin International.' And why not rename a few streets in Chiangmai for his family members. He is not an average Thai he is above average. He is at the top of the top.In addition, the government should allocate at least 2,000,000,000 baht to celebrate "democracy" in Thailand on his return as the Prime Minister. Have you got any other ideas as to how the Thai people can celebrate the special occasion of Thaksin's return?

You have to love these lot - regardless of which side, anyone else get the impression of what fools they all are? A comedy even Monty Python might appreciate. :o

The more extreme they get, the more people they turn off.

Next thing you know they'll be protesting at Thaksin's own home as an implicit threat. No government in the world would allow such a thing - it's called trespassing. But Thailand is generous in giving the protestors a lot of leeway.

I hope the government has locked them up for good.

Locked them up??? The government killed hundreds of them and purged the ringleaders in the ensuing months. Surely, you aren't suggesting the Thai government does the same.

Next thing you know they'll be protesting at Thaksin's own home as an implicit threat. No government in the world would allow such a thing - it's called trespassing. But Thailand is generous in giving the protestors a lot of leeway.

They were going to march to Thaksin's house but thought better of it, thankfully.

Of course I am against violence and locking people up. I'm just playing the Thaksin's advocate.

Strangely some Philipinos love Marcos. Strangely some Thais love Thaksin. Strangely some Germans love Hitler. Strangely some Americans love Bush. Strangely some Iraqis love Saddam.

I don't love anyone.

I would never choose a leader who would take information away from me.

The rallies are definitely attracting some crazy people. I remember those fools in Tiananmin Square with their silly Statue of Liberty. What a bunch of kooks they were. I hope the government has locked them up for good. When you have a peaceful society with economic growth and a chance to participate in government, there's really no need to protest. And remember no democracy is perfect, even China's. If Thaksin wins on April 2, it should be considered a mandate by the majority of well-informed Thais. At that point Thaksin will have the power behind him to lock up the protestors and run this country the way he sees right just like George Bush has since his reelection. And once Thaksin wins I think that the Thai people should do something to thank him for hanging in there and fighting for them. The airport could be renamed 'Thaksin International.' And why not rename a few streets in Chiangmai for his family members. He is not an average Thai he is above average. He is at the top of the top.In addition, the government should allocate at least 2,000,000,000 baht to celebrate "democracy" in Thailand on his return as the Prime Minister. Have you got any other ideas as to how the Thai people can celebrate the special occasion of Thaksin's return?

I really hope you are being sarcastic here because if you are not then perhaps you need to reread your history. Tiananmen square was not populated by crazies but by students demonstrating peacefully for a democracy when they were literally rolled over by tanks. And if you think China is a democracy then I suggest you look the meaning of the word up.

Next time, post with one of these :o

You have to love these lot - regardless of which side, anyone else get the impression of what fools they all are? A comedy even Monty Python might appreciate. :o

Monty Python? Thats something that is from Britain right? Rates up there with Benny Hill ... takes someone from there to truly act that way I think ... though some of the Japanese shows do equal it.

"Strangely some Thais love Thaksin" :D

But of course. He is hero to some..... and with his free handouts, it makes him even more popular.

Try telling him to stop those freebies and see what kind of LOVE those countryside folks has for him.

The New airport is named by HM the King. So, it is a very absert idea to name the airport in TOXIN's name ! :D

And HELLO there! RENAME some streets name in ChiangMai for his family members??? What kind of contributions they have? :o

PEACE !

:D