Isn't Smoking In Restaurants Illegal?

petedk

Easy..., without siding up to all the drivel that posts like this incite. If you enjoyed the food, order "take out" and eat it at home. It's clear the 'ambiance' and social setting wasn't to your liking. You could even hire a motor taxi to go pick it up so you aren't rubbing your eyes while you wait for the to go order. Ask them..., may be they offer the delivery service if you're proximate to Ekamai.

• Like 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two intolerance's in operation here. The smokers who don't follow the laws and the non-smokers who want their rights be omnipresent. They want every bar and every restaurant to be smoke-free. I don't understand why there can't be warning signs outside the door saying, "Beware, no smoking allowed" and enforce the rule. And restaurants/bars with warning signs, "Smoking is allowed". If non-smokers find a restaurant with Italian food they love, but smoking is allowed...they eat and stop whining or go to another restaurant that serves good Italian food without the smoking. If smokers love the food at the non-smoking restaurant, good...enjoy the food and respect the no smoking rule. Why do smokers want to spread the gospel of smoking to all restaurants and why do non-smokers want to evangelize the restaurants and bars and make them ALL smoke-free?

When DLock finds his thesaurus you're in big trouble.

• Like 2

Law No smoking where there is A/C and/or food served???? Suggest next time you check when you walk in and leave if they allow smoking, talk with the walk otherwise no one will ( they don't anyway) take any notice. TIT

There are two intolerance's in operation here. The smokers who don't follow the laws and the non-smokers who want their rights be omnipresent. They want every bar and every restaurant to be smoke-free. I don't understand why there can't be warning signs outside the door saying, "Beware, no smoking allowed" and enforce the rule. And restaurants/bars with warning signs, "Smoking is allowed". If non-smokers find a restaurant with Italian food they love, but smoking is allowed...they eat and stop whining or go to another restaurant that serves good Italian food without the smoking. If smokers love the food at the non-smoking restaurant, good...enjoy the food and respect the no smoking rule. Why do smokers want to spread the gospel of smoking to all restaurants and why do non-smokers want to evangelize the restaurants and bars and make them ALL smoke-free?

Agree that proper signage/enforcement is key. This allows individuals to make the choice before entering/sitting down. However, I suspect proprietors would not wish to lose out on business, so prefer to deal with the situations as they arise, and risk losing the business of one or the other in the future. Obviously the downside for employees, working in smoking environment, becomes another issue, but maybe they would have to seek other employment?

If you smoke inside a restaurant knowing full well that it is illegal, as well as knowing full well that you are an annoyance to other non

smoking customers by doing so, you are just ignorant.

Plenty of ignorant visitors around here.

There is hardly anywhere left in the World where you can properly enjoy a cigarette in public. And here's a wee Italian resturant who not only has some sympathy but good food too. But some xxxxxxxx always has too complain.

Edited by metisdead

Even when i went to Indonesia i left the restaurant to have a smoke.

Smoking in any restaurant is illegal.

Back in the UK, if anyone was smoking in a restaurant while I was eating, I would wait until they started eating, I would then start picking my nose and play with the snotters making sure they could see me, even if it meant me moving close to them (after I had finished eating of course).

• Like 1

Smoking a cig after a meal!

The luxury of living in Thailand!

Forget the nanny states of the west.

Thailand rocks.

More relaxing than standing outside puffing away waiting for a fine of the local police.

I remember a fellow in Kata saying something similar, the year before his retirement.

When I came back the year after, I enquired about him, and was told he did not come back that year because he had a lung removed.

But back on the subject, this non-smoking law in restaurants is applied selectively.

In Phuket, not applied in areas where farangs are dominant , Patong, Kata, Karon etc.

In Phuket town, a thai dominant area, no smoking is allowed in any restaurant.

I saw one lady farang ask if she could smoke, and she was politely said 'no'.

I never saw a thai person try to smoke in a restaurant in Phuket town.

Edited by Andre0720
  • Like 2

Even when i went to Indonesia i left the restaurant to have a smoke.

Smoking in any restaurant is illegal.

Back in the UK, if anyone was smoking in a restaurant while I was eating, I would wait until they started eating, I would then start picking my nose and play with the snotters making sure they could see me, even if it meant me moving close to them (after I had finished eating of course).

Hahaha

Smoking a cig after a meal!

The luxury of living in Thailand!

Forget the nanny states of the west.

Thailand rocks.

More relaxing than standing outside puffing away waiting for a fine of the local police.

I can understand the nanny state comment but do you have any thoughts of consideration towards ruining the experiences of other people that are at the restaurant eating?

Are concepts of courtesy and consideration towards others only valid while residing in a nanny state?

• Like 2

I would draw a line under smoking cigars and pipes in restaurants as they chuff out an uncomfortable amount of smoke making it difficult to focus on ones after dinner brandy.

As for the odd cig here or there well thats akin to somebody breaking wind and no big deal!

Sez you. I think cigarette smoke is the worst form of poison one could breathe. Cheap tobacco and chemicals make for a noxious combination.

I'd much rather smell cigars or pipes. "No big deal". Spoken like a true, selfish cigarette smoker. Don't give a damn about anybody but you're gonna

have your smoke. Another rude dude playing the Entitlement card.

I would draw a line under smoking cigars and pipes in restaurants as they chuff out an uncomfortable amount of smoke making it difficult to focus on ones after dinner brandy.

As for the odd cig here or there well thats akin to somebody breaking wind and no big deal!

You are one lucky individual.

You do not realize that your smoking stinks and makes you stink, and people around you stink.

As it is said, ignorance is bliss...

Behaviors are deemed illegal here not so much as to enforce some sort of "social order" but rather to set a benchmark for the size of the payoff for the BIB community. If some actions weren't illegal, how would they make a living?

There is hardly anywhere left in the World where you can properly enjoy a cigarette in public. And here's a wee Italian resturant who not only has some sympathy but good food too. But some xxxxxxxx always has too complain.

Another one of the "persecuted" complaining about his loss of rights. What almost every cigarette smoker fails to realize is that for every smoker

"enjoying" a smoke, there are a lot more people downwind being put off or made sick.

Come on now, I think you're either exaggerating or hugely over-sensetive...

I have many cigarette smoking friends, but not one that lights up in a restaurant or any other public place that by law you are not allowed to.

Whether in Australia or any other country. Just because you can get away with doesn't make it right.

It is all to do with the character of the person.

• Like 1

A few years ago I was staying at one of the better Khon Kaen hotels and dined in their restaurant. I was aware of a law about smoking in confined spaces but I noticed an obvious phu yai sitting at a table immediately in front of a small stage surrounded by ladies of varying attractiveness. The ladies would go onto the stage, deliver their musical (?) offering and then rejoin Mr. Big at his table. This panjandrum was smoking one cigarette after another and guzzling away at the hard stuff. I asked the waiter if I would be permitted to smoke as I savoured my post postprandial brandy and received an affirmative response. The waiter brought me an ashtray. Some people at another table some little way away complained to the waiter who communicated their complaint to me. I walked across to the table and told them that I had asked for permission but would be happy to comply with their wishes on the condition that they made a complaint to His Highness who was sitting nearer to them than I was. There were no takers - and I finished my cigarette in peace.

I hasten to add that I am aware that smoking is an annoyance, if not a health risk, to many and shape my behaviour accordingly. I discourage the family's kids from even trying the experience and stress that it is a pernicious and dangerous practice. Although I have smoked for 62 years without ill effect (so far), I am with the non-smokers in this matter. .

When I get to a thesaurus...you're in trouble.

I'm always in the s**t. Only the depth varies.

Not surpirsed - btw doesn't posting rules "suggest" not to use bold, unerlined words? Hope not more xxxx coming your way, you may need a snorkel.

But, yes, I've seen many a phuyai or very thugish looking Thai or group of them smoking in restaurants. And no one, including yours truly, has the bottle to complain forcefully - coz we all know what the result would be. Only option - vote with your feet.

Edited by metisdead

non smoking was going to revolutionise everything ,,,,instead dozens of hotels resto clubs went broke ..4 little clubs i used to frequent in sydney all closed now just get better ventilation systems <deleted>

On 10 January 2008, Thailand announced further restrictions that came into force on 10 February 2008, in that smoking would be banned (indoors and outdoors) in establishments open to the public, including restaurants, bars, and open-air markets. Members of the public face a 2,000 baht fine for not complying, and establishments face a 20,000 baht fine for not enforcing the ban (including not displaying mandated ‘no smoking’ signs). In addition to fines, those who fail to comply may be arrested. Most legal bars comply with these regulations, but in establishments that operate illegally or semi-legally they are mostly disregarded.

maybe the BIB will realize there's a lot of tea money to be made by enforcing this law and they could also claim to being more environmentally friendly at the same time

20,000bht fine for the restaurant.

2,000bht fine for the smoking customer.

Call any policeman, they will be happy to come and collect the fine, on duty or off.

Actually, by law, the police have nothing to do with it. Department of health are the people that carry out the checks, the police presence is in case of trouble.

Correct with the fines though, at least that is what it was up to last year...............wink.png