This only Happens in Thailand........

when the world is working towards reducing

Global warming, Traffic pollution, Congestions,

carbon footprint, levying higher taxes for cars to reduce usage

etc etc......

Daang !!!....Thailand makes CARS TAXFREE,

We're Different !

Dont care what the world thinks, says & does

what was the Government thinking when making them cars taxfree ????!!!!

even if this policy was made for a vote bank,

all that the party can get is 100,000 votes (folks who bought the taxfree car)

and get cursed by the 1 million who will be stuck in traffic...

guess the car-makers gave the policy makers an under-cut

so their sales will double/triple/quadruple....

hmmmm......

Welcome to Thailand

Land of Smiles

attachicon.gifTrafficBkk.JPGattachicon.gifTrafficBkk.JPG

Perhaps we are not seeing it through the eyes of the government,, more cars equals, more car tax revenue, more insurance premiums, more tyres, more car wash, more more more, someone will benefit, maybe not the car owner but he who recieves the cash.

First car schemewhistling.gif Sing it with me, first car scheme,.... people are so crazy to be seen as a high status so they buy into the first car scheeeeeemeeewhistling.gif ....

Walking, biking or taking public transportation is sooo uncool and a loss of face, so everybody bought into the first car scheme cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You must not forget that millions of High School students in Thailand are also drivers themselves, and a high percentage of them are probably without drivers' licenses, or forged drivers' licenses, or in special cases allowed by their influential rich parents to bypass the duty for drivers' license... and you also have those 14-16 years olds who want to try out, without the ploice noticing much anywaywai2.gif

First car scheme, the bottomline is,... many rich parents took advantage and bought and spoonfed their offsprings with their mode of transportation for a starting gift for the new semesterwai2.gif

Ohoooooo,, first car schemecheesy.gif

Sorry to correct you, but you need to come out of the past

My Thai wife best friend comes fro a very well to do HiSo Family

She tried to get a driver licence with out doing the test

At first she was told 15,000 baht would do it

after 6 days the process came to a halt

It seems under the new didital phot process it just can not be done

the scrutiny of the new drivers licence makes it impossible to by pass the system

I work in the Film industry and we normally can get away wil almost any thing as we bring so much money into Thailand

But I also had to go through the proper process.

you can no longer get fake licences

or bribe outside the system

But Thailand being Thailand can bribe your way inside the system for a quicker conclusion only

This is not correct. My friend (a foreigner) just paid a nice lump sum to get Visa, Work permit, driving license. He didn't have to show up at offices nor immigration once..

The solution is as simple as it is brilliant; the proven way in which to cut traffic in half, is the "Odd-Day /\ Even-Day" system: on Odd days, only cars with an odd last digit are permitted on the road and on Even days, only cars with an even last digit . . . . . . .

Violators to be fined an even Tbt. 5,000.- per violation !

Voila; problem solved !

thumbsup.gif

Do you remember "This is Thailand" many people drive without a driver's licence so do you think they would really worry about odd and even days,, they would just swap number plates so they would drive every day,, wouldn't they ?

It's not just Bangkok, school runs cause traffic chaos in other cities too.

However, we will still take our boy to school by car, the school minibus is far too dangerous.

Bangkok the craziest

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

get ready for the "traffic chaos" as never seen before. A whole working day for sending and picking up kids from schools will be a tough lesson.

It's getting worse by the hour.

Sometime the police cuts off traffic the hard way. As I have witnessed a couple of times at Ratchada. They simply stop traffic inflow for about 30 minutes, at an intersection, and hope that in meanwhile traffic will ease in the inner circles. Then they open for a minute or two and close it again. Is this a solution?

When you come to your office after a three hours ride and a record of a 15 km long ride during that time, totally exhausted and washed away from your tasks, what is your worth or value for the company? When you have appointments with your clients at different location or try to deliver goods what happens when that is cut down to half?

Check the timeline. This scam was all setup waiting to be destroyed and have people in debts they never can pay back. After all, whoever controls the debts controls the people.

get ready for the "traffic chaos" as never seen before. A whole working day for sending and picking up kids from schools will be a tough lesson.

It's getting worse by the hour.

Sometime the police cuts off traffic the hard way. As I have witnessed a couple of times at Ratchada. They simply stop traffic inflow for about 30 minutes, at an intersection, and hope that in meanwhile traffic will ease in the inner circles. Then they open for a minute or two and close it again. Is this a solution?

When you come to your office after a three hours ride and a record of a 15 km long ride during that time, totally exhausted and washed away from your tasks, what is your worth or value for the company? When you have appointments with your clients at different location or try to deliver goods what happens when that is cut down to half?

Check the timeline. This scam was all setup waiting to be destroyed and have people in debts they never can pay back. After all, whoever controls the debts controls the people.

To answer our question...if you can't handle a 15 km drive and three hours in traffic...then you aren't worth much to any company..Poor baby

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

Putting 70,000 more traffic police and volunteers to handle traffic will absolutely ensure traffic disaster.

You don't understand do you?? its 70,000 more ways to collect extra money!

Does beg the question what were they doing before although I suspect the answer was sitting on their ar8ses

Edited by kannot

Comments - suggestions

Expedite implementation of the master plan for expanding the MRT and BTS systems. What is the hold-up? This should be a very high priority item.

In the meantime hire some knowledgeable traffic engineers to make the best of what is here now, coordinate traffic signals, construct fly-overs at intersections that are routinely jammed.

Enforce no parking signs during rush hour periods. These signs are routinely ignored by all, four lanes of traffic narrowed to two lanes reducing traffic flow by nearly half.

• Like 1

However, he said relevant authorities would welcome comments and suggestions.

Extend school holidays to 12 months a year.

They may as well with the "quality" education system here anyway.

• Like 1

The solution is as simple as it is brilliant; the proven way in which to cut traffic in half, is the "Odd-Day /\ Even-Day" system: on Odd days, only cars with an odd last digit are permitted on the road and on Even days, only cars with an even last digit . . . . . . .

Voila; problem solved !

thumbsup.gif

Rich people buy another car. the poor get fired because they can't get to work on the off-days.

And what about things like delivery trucks and taxis? (Admittedly, given Thailand has different colour licence plates for different types of owners, you could restrict it to non-work vehicles, which would simply mean a lot of vehicles would end up registering for a new colour licence plate - like the people in London registering their vehicles as mini-cabs to reduce their congestion charge.)

It could increase car-pooling - possibly... More likely to increase the number of people with a second (fake) set of number plates.

Edited by bkk_mike
  • Like 1

Voila; problem solved !

:thumbsup:

Odd/even - the average Thai would not understand that.

When I was a youngster my mum or dad never drove me to school. There was no busing system either. From age 5 to 10 I'd WALK two and half kms to school. From 11 to 15 I'd cycle 5 kms to school. Rain, snow, sleet, sunshine, never missed a day unless sick. Lots of other kids all did the same. Didn't do me any harm. Thai kids are mollycoddled far too much. Geez my neighbor drives her kids what is no more than a 15 minute walk.

All this traffic woes is a self-inflicted problem.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

becaus the work , the school , , the shops ,all starts at the same time , very clever organisation

But they don't.

Schools here generally start a lot earlier than they do in the UK (I had to drop off my kids before 8 at school here), Offices tend to start at 9, and shopping malls generally don't open until 10 or 11 on weekdays.

Student life in Thailand:

You get up at 5.00 am, go to school that starts at 9.00 am, but if you get out of your house later than 6.30,... bye bye, you'll be late for granted ,_ which occurs to over 95% of the students DUE TO TRAFFIC (SURPRISED????)<-w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif then you you listen to a bunch of snotty trotty face ridden crap teachers and their boring ass lectures (<-Thai schools in particular), get a lot of homework, go to after school activities that last until 8.00 pm or later, you arrive home at 9.00-10.00pm, and you still gotta do homework at home, writing 100 of pages per day,... and on top of that you gotta practice for boring a$$ wasting examinations, where people cheat anyways.... and you day ends up at 3.00 am in the morning and you gotta get ready for the next school day which goes AGAIN from 5.30 am to 3.00 am in the morning all week long... Saturdays are spent in tutoring-rip-off commercialized schools and curricular activities,...

,.... days of rest, you gotta be kidding yourselves, because most kids will have to spend all their Sundays with their extended family visits, getting spolied and patted by their extended relatives all day long, no rest, and start on Monday at 5.30 am again...clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

and the traffic goes on, the Thai Nation buys cars like crazy, and the parents have to work from 9.00 to 12.00 am, including the traffic, and hardly see their children, because of their snotty trotty bosses who let them slave work over time,...bah.gifbah.gif

You get up at 5.00 am, go to school that starts at 9.00 am, but if you get out of your house later than 6.30,... bye bye, you'll be late for granted ,_ which occurs to over 95% of the students DUE TO TRAFFIC (SURPRISED????)<-w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif then you you listen to a bunch of snotty trotty face ridden crap teachers and their boring ass lectures (<-Thai schools in particular), get a lot of homework, go to after school activities that last until 8.00 pm or later, you arrive home at 9.00-10.00pm, and you still gotta do homework at home, writing 100 of pages per day,... and on top of that you gotta practice for boring a$$ wasting examinations, where people cheat anyways.... and you day ends up at 3.00 am in the morning and you gotta get ready for the next school day which goes AGAIN from 5.30 am to 3.00 am in the morning all week long... Saturdays are spent in tutoring-rip-off commercialized schools and curricular activities,...

,.... days of rest, you gotta be kidding yourselves, because most kids will have to spend all their Sundays with their extended family visits, getting spolied and patted by their extended relatives all day long, no rest, and start on Monday at 5.30 am again...clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

and the traffic goes on, the Thai Nation buys cars like crazy, and the parents have to work from 9.00 to 12.00 am, including the traffic, and hardly see their children, because of their snotty trotty bosses who let them slave work over time,...bah.gifbah.gif

So... are you an English teacher?

I was once,... and never again, not in Thailand, ever again.... just a volunteer English teacher

I was once,... and never again, not in Thailand, ever again.... just a volunteer English teacher

Thanks. I guessed you had some insight. biggrin.png

Thanks. I guessed you had some insight. biggrin.png

I guess so. But it was at a province where I taught for a few 1000 Baht, voluntarily based, I was more like a baby sitter there, hehe... It's a long story, but let me say, it didn't refer to the actual topic post that you quoted. That's my impression IF I ever taught in Bangkok, where the students are much cruleler than in other provinces outside Bangkok.

Back to main topic is traffic though, and that's why several hours a day up to 8 hours are spent on the road that drains the day away past midnight... Amazing Bangkok, ONLY BANGKOK