90 Day Reporting - Comments & Experiences 2013

Tywais

I do my own 90 day reporting and book the yearly extension on line. For reporting I go at around 3.30 pm, in and out, in 5 minutes.

Yearly extension takes 45-60 minutes max. Its a matter of choice of course and can understand for people who work it can create a time problem but rules do change, constantly... TIT.

I really wouldn't want someone else in possession of my passport as well.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do my own 90 day reporting and book the yearly extension on line. For reporting I go at around 3.30 pm, in and out, in 5 minutes.

Yearly extension takes 45-60 minutes max. Its a matter of choice of course and can understand for people who work it can create a time problem but rules do change, constantly... TIT.

I really wouldn't want someone else in possession of my passport as well.

Reading this I thought it was my post!

Having someone in possession of my passport was the deal closer for me with Assist Thai, as I live far out of the city and only make trips into the city once a week and then it's in and out asap, but in all fairness to Assist Thai, it was a new CMI ruling that required the passport.

IMHO, the 90 day rule is such a waste of time [and paper] for us and CMI, especially for us who have been in the same residence for 10+ years..............I'm not going to move any time soon and I'll notify them if I do, promise.

Having someone in possession of my passport was the deal closer for me with Assist Thai, as I live far out of the city and only make trips into the city once a week and then it's in and out asap, but in all fairness to Assist Thai, it was a new CMI ruling that required the passport.

IMHO, the 90 day rule is such a waste of time [and paper] for us and CMI, especially for us who have been in the same residence for 10+ years..............I'm not going to move any time soon and I'll notify them if I do, promise.

Exactly, I wonder how many people reporting every 90 days have ever had their address info checked. I've been here quite a while and I don't know anyone who has. Ridiculous law!

• Like 2

What they could do is let us report to the local police station.

No unneeded hoards of people at immigration, the local police find out who you are, where you live, and the details can be passes on to immigration by each station in an email at the end of the week.

Might even prove a useful exercise for keeping tabs on us, which is the intention of the rule.

What they could do is let us report to the local police station.

No unneeded hoards of people at immigration, the local police find out who you are, where you live, and the details can be passes on to immigration by each station in an email at the end of the week.

Might even prove a useful exercise for keeping tabs on us, which is the intention of the rule.

No thanks, I'll stick with immigration rather than report to the BIB.

You really think the BIB passing your info on will be trouble free?

Edited by uptheos

Incredible experience today with getting the 90 day..........was going in to drop off the wife, then make a trip around the long block and lo and behold, there was a shady empty parking slot right up front and the guard helped me park with his whistle blowing [that I ignored] and in the time it took me to park and go in, my 90 day was stamped and total time was under 5 minutesclap2.gif

There were maybe only 20 other people waiting............just like the good old days.

Incredible experience today with getting the 90 day..........was going in to drop off the wife, then make a trip around the long block and lo and behold, there was a shady empty parking slot right up front and the guard helped me park with his whistle blowing [that I ignored] and in the time it took me to park and go in, my 90 day was stamped and total time was under 5 minutesclap2.gif

There were maybe only 20 other people waiting............just like the good old days.

Sounds promising, now if all those currently with Assist start doing it themselves, it will return to as before. biggrin.png

I was in Assist today when the girl returned from immigration, I kid you not she had a boxful just for today.

It seems they take them in by the boxload first thing in the morning and pick them up around 4-4-30pm.

Someone at immigration is busy!

I'd indeed wager, Uptheos, that the TVA agent had a boxful! But I wonder how long that business will last at such volume given the apparent new requirement for showing up with passports for the 90-day report.

I do recall a message posted not too long ago by Chiang Mai Immigration that it was basically "unfair policy" to favor paid agents (such as Thai Visa Assist) with the volume they bring in over individuals doing their 90-day duty. There is serious question about the fairness of that; the fundamental notion that Immigration authorities are favoring one or more businesses because of "old connections." On the other hand, so many foreigners can't seem to get the drill down (despite the pinned thread on this forum, for example, and very clear guidance on the Immigration website). Hard to fault the efficiency, I suppose, of agents. Nonetheless, that corrupts what should be a straight-forward government service. I do not invite comments about "under the table" dealings from the "TIT" crowd. I personally have never, ever over been asked for any extra money. No hints, either! I really do not understand all these people who post that they have had to provide "tea money," or whatever you want to call it.

There are two special cases where agents are certainly valuable. Some disabled persons, for example, may not have a friend or family to help them (since anyone can do the task) and do have some money to pay an agent. And there are people who live in the far reaches of the province who must report in Chiang Mai. That, IMHO, is a real service, although I am not sure how an agency can make money from it. But for the lazy? Nah! Stand in line with the rest of us proles, or get a friend, employee or family to do it for you. Buy them lunch!

For those worried about leaving their passports with an agent or friend, I suggest that you have be dam_n certain of their reliability. It appears that ThaiVisaAssist is quite reliable. (I don't want to be perceived as bashing TVA, but I question their business model!

One of the old problems of a few years back was that certain "volunteers" at Immigration who helped government staff behind the counter to deal with foreigners were really people seeking contacts with foreigners ultimately to generate business for selling insurance, investments, or "legal services." That seems to have abated some time ago. Immigration apparently caught on to that, sort of!

Oh! Of course it will get busier at Immigration as long as retired sorts, especially, keep settling in! Chiang Mai is such a haven for foreigners who think it is cheap and exotic as well as free of most nasty things!

Uh oh !!! Here comes the hate mail!

Edited by Mapguy

I'd indeed wager, Uptheos, that the TVA agent had a boxful! But I wonder how long that business will last at such volume given the apparent new requirement for showing up with passports for the 90-day report.

I have no idea Mapguy, neither do I care.

I think for now Assist will continue to have many 90 day reports as many customers are mid stream

with a few paid for reports left so they may as well use them.

But at renewal time the lessened benefit caused by having to make a trip to drop & a trip pickup your passport +

the 50% increase in their fee will see many opt out.

Due in no small part to the improvements at Immigration.

If the improved service is a permanent change I have no problem doing it myself as the last one was a breeze

& easier than dropping & picking up my passport + paying for that privilege. Also I would not be keen on releasing my passport to

anyone . Although I feel Assist is very trustworthy I rather not.

Edited by meechai

• 3 weeks later...

For those residing in Lampang.........90 day reports can be done at the old Amphur Muang Police Station not far from the main post office. They only do 90 reports, nothing else. Immigration police are not there every day, so you need to call ahead (about a week before your 90 day report is due) to ask on what day and at what time they will be in.

• 4 weeks later...