Raily Beach Area

breadbin

Hi

Haven't been to Krabi since I travelled SE Asia in 1994!

I have lived in Thailand and have a Thai wife, family etc. so know modernisation had hit.

Anyway, we we looking at Krabi this year.

I stay in Raily in 1994 where it could only be accessed by boat, full of beach restaurants and plenty of backpackers lounging around.

Cave beach was clear or deck hairs etc. although you could buy food and drink in the cave area.

So, now i want to go back, I'm now early 40's with kids (7&9) and want to return.

It's kind of dangerous as I have my fantastic memories of staying there a month nearly with feat people and hanging out at night,

I've tried google for pics if the area now but can only seem to find professionally taken snaps for hotels etc.

Anyone know where I can see tourist snaps online?

Also, looking at the hotels now they look nice. Any recommendations of the good bad and ugly?

Just looking for a quiet time, no wild parties or bg's hassling at bars.

I have my memories and am prepared for the change as I was when I returned to Samui 17 years later which had also be wrecked beyond belief as had Kata in Phuket,

Thanks all.

Cave beach or phrang nang beach as they call it now has been taken over by a huge 5 star hotel rooms start at 30,000 bht a night,the other beach is sort of upmarket bungalow resorts priced at 4-5000 in high season dont know there low season rates,t's still a nice place but a bit busy these days and pretty expensive.

After saying the above although I only live 10 minuets from railey I haven't actually been there for two years ,people tell me it has a walking street now,like so much off Thailand now it's pretty set up for families now, the backpackers have long gone apart from the rock climbers on ton Sai.

When my sister stayed railey 2years ago she was shocked at prices a few packets of crisps and biscuits for her 2 Boys was nearly £5

Edited by taninthai

Doesn't sound great so cave beach is private, can it still be accessed?

I knew it would have changed but maybe better to go elsewhere ie Lanta or Phuket for 10 days.

Just looking on the Internet at room prices in Railey in August, some are telephone number prices but some are reasonable,

I better take another look as I ain't paying a fiver for no biscuit and crisps!!!

Thanks for replying.

Stay in Ao Nang or Ao Nam Mao and visit Railay (10 mins by boat from any of three ferry stations) That way your disappointment will be less.

If, however, you love the tourist trap Railay has become; then as it is low season and hotels are not full - you can move there.

There is nothing much for your kids to do on Railay (it is the rainy season so the beach won't always keep them happy) so you will end up with having to shuttle backwards and forwards to Ao Nang at 800 baht a day and putting up with all the hassle involved in that.

The Krabi region is beautiful, with a host of activities, rent a car (1,200 baht/day) and then your choice of accommodation is not limited to Ao Nang which is rapidly developing into another Thai tourist trap.

Loads of information on line about what to do in the region - or ask me for more suggestions.

Went there first time in 1989 when it was a very beautiful place, just a few bungalow resorts and very natural, now the opposite, very large overpriced hotels, many just squashed together, how people can enjoy a stay there I don't know. Everything seems to be expensive,

including the boat from Ao-nang, which until a few years ago was 20bht each way is now 100bht, Even though I live in Ao-nang I seldom visit, and then only when we have visitors,Sorry! I just cannot recommend the place and unfortunately Ao-nang is not much better. Have you thought of Trang? Still relatively unspoilt in comparison.

I haven't been in Railay for about 4 years....or so. Massive building was going on then. We only stayed one night as it was incredibly loud. This was low season.

The beach pretty much disappeared at high tide on the west side. The east side, as you may remember, is a mangrove swamp. That side was jammed with backpackers eating banana pancakes and watching TV outside. You could get some cheap food, but had to deal with this crowd...who pretty much took over many restaurants.

Prices for a decent place to sleep were ridiculous. We ended up in Ao Nang for a few nights and enjoyed it better. We didn't make it to Ton Sai. I heard the beach is nicer there, but also lots of backpackers.

You can google for the pics. Here's one that has a bird's eye view:

I think the recommendation to just take a boat over for the day is a good one.

Thanks everyone.

I do remember one side being mangrove now!

I stay on that side right up the end. There were no restaurants there back then but we used to have to walk up that bit and then across to get to the beach. Memories coming back,

When you say get a boat from Ao Nang is it a long tail boat? That may be the best option.

Any recommended places to stay at Ao Nang as there seems to be plenty?

Thanks again,

Yes, a boat from either Ao Nang or from Krabi city directly. There's long tails waiting on Ao Nang all day.

As for hotels, sorry! I can't remember where we stayed. It was a few years ago and we were on a 30 day trip down there. Too many hotels to remember!

I'd try tripadvisor or something like that.

Have fun!