Uk Passport Renewal

James86

Hey,

I need to renew my UK passport but need some clarification on a few things.

I have read that to apply for a passport renewal from Thailand you need to send the application to Hong Kong with a photocopy of my existing passport.

Do I need the return address to be in Thai or English? I read something about charging for translating any documents but wasn't sure if it would make it back to me if I only wrote in English as I am writing it by how its sounds when spoken in Thai.

Is it also true that the white backgrounds are no longer accepted on the photographs? I believe it needs to be cream or grey??

Having read different things on the internet it seems as though I need to send via DHL or can I send by normal post with a tracking number?

Also, what is a realistic time frame for me to receive everything back, I want to make sure it ties in with my existing visa.

I have tried contacting the British Embassy in Bangkok but only get a recorded message and they don't reply to emails either.

Thanks

James!

I have been on the site but it doesn't clarify whether the address can be in Thai or English and if I have to send via DHL. I was wondering if anyone knew.

Also with regards to the processing time they say 4 weeks for a renewal but based on when I have applied for a passport in the UK this can vary greatly and it is my understanding the application is sent from Hong Kong to the UK then back directly to Thailand. I don't know if these applications are prioritised over applications within the UK. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on past experience of doing this.

Thanks

Contacting the passport office:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Passport Information Helpline

+44 208 082 4744

Calls charged at £0.72 per minute plus VAT - you must pay by credit card when you call

Textphone: +44 1750 725 368

Webchat service

A webchat service is available. It costs a flat rate of £4 - you must pay by credit card before you start. Once you’ve paid, you’ll be given a reference number to launch your webchat. You’ll receive an email transcript of your conversation when you finish.

I just got my new UK passport within the last couple of weeks.

You read it correct, you send a copy of your passport and not the passport itself. The Passport office realise that the Thai authorities require us to have it with us.

Everything I wrote was in English and no problems.

With photos, you'll see the links others have kindly pasted. Yes, they do stipulate cream or grey.

In terms of sending the documents; I sent them by EMS(the usual registered delivery at the Thai Post Office) I got charged about 400 Baht and it sounded about right as someone else on another post quoted 500 Baht. I checked my Credit Card account online a couple of days later and the payment had been taken. Your new passport will be sent by DHL. Mine ended up at Nim See Seng, the main local delivery company and I had to go and show ID and sign for it.

I was told it would take about 4 to 6 weeks but it came in 3.5 weeks. I've looked at the IPS site (I think they call it the Identity and Passport Service nowadays). They do say that from about late May onwards it gets really busy, with people renewing for the Summer holidays.

I hope this helps.

I am thinking about renewing my UK passport in the UK, rather than here. I will fly over there next week, and as I have 2 passports, will be able to send off the one that is full, with my Thai visa in it, and be able to travel to work on the other one. On the way back, a month later, I will pick up the new one, and the full one with the visa, hopefully, and fly back to Thailand. Does anyone see any issue doing this..? I have an address in the UK where the passport can be sent.

Hi, I did this back in 2011 and it took 4 weeks almost to the day.

Here is the link to the Consulate in HK with all the correct info you will need. I would suggest using DHL as they had/have a special deal with the Consulate, it cost me 800bht there and back all tracked etc. at the time I was out in the sticks.

As for the return address, the DHL guy wrote it all in Thai, but I don't think it really matters so long as the forms for your new passport are in English. I have received things in the post with the address in English.

Once you get your new passport back, you will need to get your visa/extension of stay details transferred to the new one, they will use about 4 pages.

I have a scanned copy of my passport and all the stamps, I can't seem to upload them here, so PM if you wanna see.

Edited by Psych01

When you get the visa transferred , do the Immigration need a letter from the Brit/ Embassy, i ask as i am sure i have read this somewhere ? or can you use the old passport with visa along with the new one until it expires ?any help would be appreciated

@Chupup, immigration don't need a letter from the U.K Embassy, well didn't when I did mine. As for using the old passport with the old visa, once HK receives your passport docs for the renewal/replacement passport, your old passport is invalid.