Montclair Wine

GiantFan

Berri I think is OK ... just ! , light and fruity , better than Montclair and Cedar Creek ..

& so who drinks Cedar Creek in Australia if Berri is considered the lowest ?

but better , I think , Mar Sol , from Chile , 4L box under 800 baht from tesco ..

Agree with that mr churchill, and also better than "Jimberroo" in my opinion.

Have not tasted the Mar Y Sol from Chile, but may well give it a try after your comment. By the way, did you know that it is imported in bulk by Siam Wines and "bottled" over here, in much the same way as Montclair and Berri Estates.

I have noticed that Siam Wines are doing this with more and more wines and one called "Cask 88" (I think that's it) by kookaburra wines is selling in 2 litre bottles in Villa Market and I suspect we will see more of that to get round the tax situation.

Towards the other end of the scale, I have noticed that the previously cheaper wines have increased by anything up to 70%, whereas the more expensive ones seem to have had minor increases. I have noticed that Taylor's Promised Land is still selling for around 685 baht, the same price as the much inferior wine "The Pump" which makes it a no-brainer.

Luckily my latest wine of choice, a Valpolicella Classico Ripasso hasn't increased, although at 1250 baht per bottle I don't buy too many of them!!

Jimberroo I think tastes just like Cedar Creek ..just as bad

• Like 1

That Thorn Clarke stuff is indeed a beast, a typical Barossa Alpha Male Shiraz.. Not surprised you found the Cab-Merlot more appealing... Smooth and Suave vs Alpha Male... Tassie's doing some amazing stuff at the moment, hearing good things about a new winery called Tolpuddle which is a new venture for Shaw + Smith..

Just cracked the first bottle for the night, a Hewitson Shiraz Marsenne Rousanne, also Barossa. 92% Shiraz, which I think's probably about 15% too much! the Marsenne and Rousanne can't mellow it out enough...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That Hewitson wine seems unusual because both the Marsanne & Rousanne grapes are themselves capable of fairly high alcoholic wines and are quite "distinctive/strong" in taste, so I can understand your comments about not being able to "mellow it out enough". The usual white grape of choice to do this with the Syrah wines from the Northern Rhone is Viognier, which works well.

Talking about "a beast of a wine", a NZ friend of mine is always seeking out those type of wines, many of which I found to be almost unpalatable because of the high tannin/high alcohol and lack of discernible flavour on the palate. I used to tell him that they were strong enough to take the enable off of his teeth, and he agreed. No amount of introducing him to more "delicate" wines worked, and even when I produced my best French offerings, he would dismiss them as, "dusty old French rubbish".

He produced a couple of Aussie wines, one being a Durif (a grape from an unintentional crossing of a couple of French vines) and the other a Petit Verdot. Both of these grapes are little used in their country of origin, however have found some favour in the USA and Australia. For the life of me I cannot see why, because these big, black, brooding beasts at around 14 to 15% really were not my style, and not the style of any others at the dinner parties which we regularly held – – great for him because it meant he could consume the whole bottle or thereabouts!!

That Hewitson wine seems unusual because both the Marsanne & Rousanne grapes are themselves capable of fairly high alcoholic wines and are quite "distinctive/strong" in taste, so I can understand your comments about not being able to "mellow it out enough". The usual white grape of choice to do this with the Syrah wines from the Northern Rhone is Viognier, which works well.

Talking about "a beast of a wine", a NZ friend of mine is always seeking out those type of wines, many of which I found to be almost unpalatable because of the high tannin/high alcohol and lack of discernible flavour on the palate. I used to tell him that they were strong enough to take the enable off of his teeth, and he agreed. No amount of introducing him to more "delicate" wines worked, and even when I produced my best French offerings, he would dismiss them as, "dusty old French rubbish".

He produced a couple of Aussie wines, one being a Durif (a grape from an unintentional crossing of a couple of French vines) and the other a Petit Verdot. Both of these grapes are little used in their country of origin, however have found some favour in the USA and Australia. For the life of me I cannot see why, because these big, black, brooding beasts at around 14 to 15% really were not my style, and not the style of any others at the dinner parties which we regularly held – – great for him because it meant he could consume the whole bottle or thereabouts!!

That's exactly why I chose to have a look at it, I'm all for "interesting" and "unusual" even "awkward" blends. I love a good blend of Viognier / Marsanne / Roussanne. d'Arenberg do an amazing one - The Hermit Crab - a Viognier Marssanne blend, which used to be stocked at Tops / Central Market (as they're the importer) but haven't seen it since late August. It's like drinking liquid buttery apricots and honeysuckle. The usual power from the Marsanne is mellowed by the Viognier which is subtle but still pokes it head out and gives you a wave to let you know it's there. Their straight Roussanne "The Money Spider" (is an exceptionally awkward name and I really wish Darry would change it) is also a delicious number in it's own right. I do love d'Arenberg's point of difference with their wines and can always bank on them to produce something equally complex and interesting.

Hewitson also do another interesting blend with Grenache (50%), Shiraz (42%), Mourvèdre (4%), Carignan (2%) and Cinsault (2%). It's quite the wine for the tropics as well, flash chill to bring it down to temp and voila. Chicken dinners all round.

Viognier's probably my new favorite varietal, done right, it's an amazing combination of everything a wine should be. Done wrong, and wow, it's like pissing your money up against a wall.

Shiraz / Syrah and Viognier is the stock standard el traditional way to go, for the most part to bring down that punch-in-the-face from the Shiraz / Syrah which I think makes it much more palatable in the tropics especially when given a flash chill to bring the temp down. Just delicious! There's no shortage of good Shiraz/Syrah Viognier out there.

As for Duriff and Petit Verdot, I was introduced to these varieties by a good friend of mine whose brother-in-law (I think it is) grew these and produced the wine as a hobby, sold a bit of it on the side etc etc - Duriff, I can't do, it's dusty and dirty a kin to a poor mans cab sauv and most of the ones I've tried from Australia since just make me feel like I've swallowed a mouthful of cherry flavoured mud. That's not to say that there's probably a number out there that I haven't had a crack at that don't taste like cherry mud, I just haven't nor can I bring myself to, try another.

Petit Verdot was interesting, somewhere around in between Duriff and Cab Sauv. Not as dirty and dusty as the Duriff and not as tobacco and leather of a Cab Sauv. Kind of char grilled capsicum like.

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 1

Quote Grant Smith: "Hewitson also do another interesting blend with Grenache (50%), Shiraz (42%), Mourvèdre (4%), Carignan (2%) and Cinsault (2%)".

That sounds interesting and very close to the blend used in some Chateauneuf du Papes (although as I recall up to 13 different grape varieties can be used, however most producers have narrowed it down to less than half a dozen). So my question is, how does it compare/what are your thoughts on it, and at what price is it sold in Australia?

All being well, I could look for some on my forthcoming trip through Australia!!

That sounds interesting and very close to the blend used in some Chateauneuf du Papes (although as I recall up to 13 different grape varieties can be used, however most producers have narrowed it down to less than half a dozen). So my question is, how does it compare/what are your thoughts on it, and at what price is it sold in Australia?

All being well, I could look for some on my forthcoming trip through Australia!!

How does it compare as a Rhône blend? I actually feel that it lends itself more towards a Burgundy or Beaujolais blend. But I guess they all have their similarities.

It was actually a bit of a surprise really when I first tried it. It wasn't what I was expecting - in a good way - retails for around $A23. As much as I hate the big supermarkets, you can get it at a Dan Murphy's. Otherwise cellar door in Dorrien in the Barossa.

• Like 1

A photo taken in Dan Murphy's Wine supermarket in Sydney yesterday. Rumours sold in Thailand, was 299 now with new tax 550 baht. 4.95 = 145 baht. Oh well.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes as I've said before, there is no rhyme nor reason as to why there should be an increase here of over 80% on a wine.

Interresting note on the company's history.............perhaps that's why they have two wines called "Rumours"

and "Gossips"??

• Like 1

I'm not saying this as a point to justify the price increase, however, as far as I can see this wine is solely sold through Dan Murphy's i.e Woolworths in Australia, it may speak to why the price is so cheap.

In the reverse, looking at who's importing/distributing it here (Thailand) could also speak to the price hike. Possibly 4 hands in the pie: importer + distributor + wholesaler + retailer.

How does it compare as a Rhône blend? I actually feel that it lends itself more towards a Burgundy or Beaujolais blend. But I guess they all have their similarities.

It was actually a bit of a surprise really when I first tried it. It wasn't what I was expecting - in a good way - retails for around $A23. As much as I hate the big supermarkets, you can get it at a Dan Murphy's. Otherwise cellar door in Dorrien in the Barossa.

I will look for a Dan Murphy's when I visit my friends on the Gold Coast and give it a try.

On the subject of the "Rhône blend", turns out that the regulations changed in 2009 and there are now 18 grape varieties allowed to be used in Chateauneuf du Papes, not that they all are, so I must update my knowledge more frequently!

Still on the subject of the "Rhône blend", I have tried the Penfold's "GSM" on a couple of occasions, but never found it to be anything special, in fact at one time I recall remarking that it really didn't seem to have "a place" in the Penfold lineup?

I have to say that there have been many times when I have been tempted to buy a Chateauneuf du Papes here just to get a taste for one again, however those that I have seen are expensive and are not certainly top of the range, so I have resisted the temptation.

On a related wine note, if the "Rumours" is selling for $4.95 a bottle, how much does the "Berri Estates" sell for?

I will look for a Dan Murphy's when I visit my friends on the Gold Coast and give it a try.

On the subject of the "Rhône blend", turns out that the regulations changed in 2009 and there are now 18 grape varieties allowed to be used in Chateauneuf du Papes, not that they all are, so I must update my knowledge more frequently!

Still on the subject of the "Rhône blend", I have tried the Penfold's "GSM" on a couple of occasions, but never found it to be anything special, in fact at one time I recall remarking that it really didn't seem to have "a place" in the Penfold lineup?

I have to say that there have been many times when I have been tempted to buy a Chateauneuf du Papes here just to get a taste for one again, however those that I have seen are expensive and are not certainly top of the range, so I have resisted the temptation.

On a related wine note, if the "Rumours" is selling for $4.95 a bottle, how much does the "Berri Estates" sell for?

As much as I hate Dan Murphy's - they have a pretty bloody good range at prices that are reasonable... sick.gif

Education is a wonderful element of Wine... Always evolving... Always something new to learn... But I think I'll pass on the MS or the MW certification :P

Penfold's Bin 138 is an interesting blend to say the least, sometimes SGM, SMG, sometimes GSM - but never MSG :P I think it was a bit of an afterthought, and for the price they charge for it, it's no surprise it's disappointing...

As for Berri Estates sick.gif I can't ever remember seeing it back home in anything other than cask and even then it was less than $A10 for a silver pillow - it probably still is - Nope just checked $A15 for a silver pillow but it's now a 5L instead of the old 4L. But I see it here in bottles as well as cask.

As much as I hate Dan Murphy's - they have a pretty bloody good range at prices that are reasonable... sick.gif

Education is a wonderful element of Wine... Always evolving... Always something new to learn... But I think I'll pass on the MS or the MW certification tongue.png

Penfold's Bin 138 is an interesting blend to say the least, sometimes SGM, SMG, sometimes GSM - but never MSG tongue.png I think it was a bit of an afterthought, and for the price they charge for it, it's no surprise it's disappointing...

As for Berri Estates sick.gif I can't ever remember seeing it back home in anything other than cask and even then it was less than $A10 for a silver pillow - it probably still is - Nope just checked $A15 for a silver pillow but it's now a 5L instead of the old 4L. But I see it here in bottles as well as cask.

Berri 5 litre 11.95 in Dan Murphy's yesterday. That's about 50 baht a bottle.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Berri 5 litre 11.95 in Dan Murphy's yesterday. That's about 50 baht a bottle.

Pulled my price from the website, interesting in store comparison.

I'd put the cost of it in bottle at around $3 - the bottle and stelvin closure would cost more than the juice ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does anyone know how much wine a person can carry to Thailand in his (or her) suitcase?

It gets very cold in the hold, how does that affect the quality, especially as it will warm up once landed?

Do some wines fair better than others?

Cheers

Does anyone know how much wine a person can carry to Thailand in his (or her) suitcase?

It gets very cold in the hold, how does that affect the quality, especially as it will warm up once landed?

Cheers

By law, 1 bottle..

But it has been known to be a lot more carried through... But legally, 1 bottle...

I've found it travels better in the hold than in the cabin... Pack it appropriately before you depart i.e styrofoam and you shouldn't have too many problems...

As for affecting the quality, well, to each his own... Get the basics right, and you're more than halfway there...

• Like 1

Cheers

Not sure about the amount but think it is one litre?

No probs with the wine in the hold as the low temp won't affect it and when it "warms" to room temp, then no probs there either. Sunlight and constant variations in temp affect wine, more so when the temp is of a higher nature.

• Like 1

Cheers

Not sure about the amount but think it is one litre?

No probs with the wine in the hold as the low temp won't affect it and when it "warms" to room temp, then no probs there either. Sunlight and constant variations in temp affect wine, more so when the temp is of a higher nature.

Many thanks Guys.

Well it won't have to last long, 2 birthdays and an anniversary all close together.

The bottle(s) will be well surrounded with Liquor chocolate and other goodies! tongue.png

• Like 1

Humidity also funks the shirt off of wine... But that can happen anywhere and is not restricted to Thailand or SE Asia...

So I was feeling a wee bit adventurous tonight, truth be told, I was bat shit bored with the current Australian selections at Tops (closest "reputable" wine store to home) and was feeling like some big bold burgundy, wife was having none of it...

Compromised on a white Rhône blend... 50% Viognier, 40% Grenache Blanc and 10% Marsanne... I love it when a label gives me the percentage make up especially when I'm going rogue...

http://www.vinsdevienne.com/en/html/pdf/amphore_d_argent/TS_amphore_dargent_cdr_laurelles.pdf

Some tasting notes I googled - though this is the current vintage, whereas here I had the '10. In the '11 they upped the Marsanne content which is what I would have liked to have seen, just to take the edge off the Grenache Blanc...

Wife's not completely sold on it, believes there's a bit of Sauvignon Blanc'ness to it... Which put her off - for a minute..

At 799 baht it's certainly enjoyable and interesting, mixes up the palate to break away from my roots...

• Like 2

Having been away for a couple of weeks with no internet, I just caught up with reading all the last few posts.

I recommend that all newcomers to this thread actually read all the posts before they let rip.

Interestingly, I also saw this famous quotation today:

The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:

Be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard

• Like 2

So an interesting thing just happened... Well not "interesting" I guess, but, I digress...

Poured a second glass for the wife, but I changed the glass up, switched from a Burgundy glass to a Bordeaux glass.. A lot of conjecture out there on whether or not the glassware alters the taste / experience of the wine... Switching the glassware, really allows the Viognier to shine through in this wine... Everything else takes a back seat and lets the Viognier lead... Delicious...

As for the first time entrant into this thread reading all 356 posts before letting rip, I'll admit I skipped many pages of this thread, attention span and all that hahaha... And as this is in the 'Phuket' sub forum it would normally not gauge my interest, as I'm in Bangkok. But there you go....

But lots of good info in this thread if you can bypass the original premise of this thread wink.png

Interesting point "GrantSmith", and in my early wine collecting years I used to think that using different glasses to experience different tastes was all pie in the sky, until my French wine merchant friend invited me to a tasting in conjunction with the Riedel company (famous for their different style glasses to suit different wines).

I was amazed at the difference it made when drinking a particular wine from a particular glass and consequently ended up purchasing a range of their glassware so that I could experience the best from my wines!!

As for finding a decent Burgundy here to drink, good luck with that, because the prices will be skyhigh and even when I decided to shell out 2000 baht on one a while ago, it was terribly disappointing.

• Like 1

Very nice GSM in wine connection - has aa sheep or cow on the front of the bottle

Not this by chance?

attachicon.gifle-grand-noir-black-sheep-gsm-languedoc-roussillon-france-10409526.jpg

Well I decided to try this wine with a confit of duck which I cooked the other evening and it was not quite what I had hoped for, but not a bad wine all the same.

The tannins were prominent but not harsh, and there was just a very slight hint of "dark fruit" in it, but on the whole it was a fairly "dumb" wine. I certainly couldn't detect the "complex flavours of blackberries with dark spice, cocoa and black pepper undertones" as mentioned on the label and perhaps they will come about with a little more ageing.

Often, wines will go through a "dumb" phase a year or two after they are bottled whereby they show very little on the nose and on the palate, yet given time they open up very nicely, this especially with red wines.

Interesting point "GrantSmith", and in my early wine collecting years I used to think that using different glasses to experience different tastes was all pie in the sky, until my French wine merchant friend invited me to a tasting in conjunction with the Riedel company (famous for their different style glasses to suit different wines).

I was amazed at the difference it made when drinking a particular wine from a particular glass and consequently ended up purchasing a range of their glassware so that I could experience the best from my wines!!

As for finding a decent Burgundy here to drink, good luck with that, because the prices will be skyhigh and even when I decided to shell out 2000 baht on one a while ago, it was terribly disappointing.

Yeah I used to be the same too xylophone, until I did a blind tasting using 3 different glasses, one was Riedel another Lucaris and then a run of the mill house wine glass. The difference between the Riedel and the Lucaris were subtly different but worlds apart from the bog standard glass. I was humbled right then and there. I find Lucaris somewhat stronger in construction than Riedel. But I do love the Vitis range by Riedel.

My Bordeaux glass is the best thing ever, holds 700ml - so even the novelty of "one glass is never enough" or the "doctor told me to have at least one glass with dinner" hasn't worn thin yet ;)

But again, was (pleasantly) surprised at the difference it made to a wine that isn't traditionally consumed from such a glass.

That's always the worst feeling when using the old theory that because the price is high it must be good, bit of a kick in the guts so to speak...

xylophone I was just doing some light reading, seems Rhône blends are permitted to have up to 23 blends in them! Imagine whacking that on a label ;) Very interesting % minimums as well... Rather thirsty work this "light" reading :P

So with that I'm off to locate something different again for tonight's tasting...