Montclair Wine

GiantFan

Thanks GS, I'll certainly look out for these, "Coonawarra Cab Sauv's continue, in my opinion, to be safe bets - Taylor's (available in Villa Market priced around 1,300+ IIRC) is my pick of the bunch, I would say quintessential Coonawarra Cab Sauv.

d'Arenburg's "Coppermine Road" is also a delicious example of what McLaren Vale can do".

Actually I don't mind the Cabernet Sauvignons produced in the hotter regions of Australia, because when winemakers don't just go for pure extraction and alcohol they can be good.

Agree with your point about the cooler climate allowing the grapes to do the work, and there must be a point where cool becomes too cool, although I don't know exactly where that point would be geographically.

Both the Cabernet Sauvignon predominant wines of France and New Zealand suffer from a certain amount of herbaceousness in the finished product if there is not enough sun or it is not hot enough, primarily due to the methoxypyrazine content in the grapes being too high. Some vineyard management can lessen that effect, however sun and heat appear to be the main agents to get it down to an acceptable or even almost "un-tastable" level.

I suspect that even the "cool" climate you speak about still has enough heat in the daylight hours to see the grapes through.

Interesting regarding your comment about the "Margaret River wines taking over the world", because I remember those very words were spoken back in the 80s, but as yet it hasn't happened!!

PS. Thanks for the tip Eezergood, will seek that one out, any idea of the name?

Edited by xylophone

Thanks GS, I'll certainly look out for these, "Coonawarra Cab Sauv's continue, in my opinion, to be safe bets - Taylor's (available in Villa Market priced around 1,300+ IIRC) is my pick of the bunch, I would say quintessential Coonawarra Cab Sauv.

d'Arenburg's "Coppermine Road" is also a delicious example of what McLaren Vale can do".

Actually I don't mind the Cabernet Sauvignons produced in the hotter regions of Australia, because when winemakers don't just go for pure extraction and alcohol they can be good.

Agree with your point about the cooler climate allowing the grapes to do the work, and there must be a point where cool becomes too cool, although I don't know exactly where that point would be geographically.

Both the Cabernet Sauvignon predominant wines of France and New Zealand suffer from a certain amount of herbaceousness in the finished product if there is not enough sun or it is not hot enough, primarily due to the methoxypyrazine content in the grapes being too high. Some vineyard management can lessen that effect, however sun and heat appear to be the main agents to get it down to an acceptable or even almost "un-tastable" level.

I suspect that even the "cool" climate you speak about still has enough heat in the daylight hours to see the grapes through.

Interesting regarding your comment about the "Margaret River wines taking over the world", because I remember those very words were spoken back in the 80s, but as yet it hasn't happened!!

I will find a bottle for you & take a pic mate

To be honest, outside of home, France and USA, I haven't ventured into Cab Sauv's from other new/old world countries.

Another cracker that I forgot to mention (that should be available here) is Angove's Vineyard Select Cab Sauv from Coonawarra, really silky sexy cab sauv, little bit of mint masking the leather and cigar. Dangerous if you get started ;)

Cool climate regions are really at the mercy of mother nature, not enough sunlight and the fruit lays dorment, too much and it's nigh impossible to produce anything other than cask wine.

This years vintage appears to be a cracker, a lot of the juice I've had this year from the tanks gets me quite excited for 2015 and all reports have been promising for next year as well. Oversupply will be crucial again.

Interesting regarding your comments regarding Margaret River... Seems that they've been overplaying their hand for quite some time...

• Like 1

To be honest, outside of home, France and USA, I haven't ventured into Cab Sauv's from other new/old world countries.

Another cracker that I forgot to mention (that should be available here) is Angove's Vineyard Select Cab Sauv from Coonawarra, really silky sexy cab sauv, little bit of mint masking the leather and cigar. Dangerous if you get started wink.png

Cool climate regions are really at the mercy of mother nature, not enough sunlight and the fruit lays dorment, too much and it's nigh impossible to produce anything other than cask wine.

This years vintage appears to be a cracker, a lot of the juice I've had this year from the tanks gets me quite excited for 2015 and all reports have been promising for next year as well. Oversupply will be crucial again.

Interesting regarding your comments regarding Margaret River... Seems that they've been overplaying their hand for quite some time...

Thanks again GS for the "tips" on the Cab Sauvs and will certainly venture out and try a few if they are available here.

Interesting your comment as regards the "juice I've had this year from the tanks......" so you are fortunate enough to be on very good terms with the winemakers by the looks of things, or it could even be your full-time job – – lucky man!

The only wine I ever tasted from the tank was a Sauvignon Blanc in the Loire Valley and it was a cloudy pale green concoction, which did nothing for me whatsoever (Philistine I hear you say). However I was fortunate enough to taste some excellent red wines in barrel in Bordeaux, the Rhone and one in particular from a cellar in Beaune, and that one stands out because it was a Nuits St Georges and was very good even at such a young age.

I was then able to compare it with one of the winemakers own bottles from 1988 (I think it was 88) and that wine was absolutely superb. It was so good that I ordered some cases of the new vintage there and then (en primeur you could say) to be delivered when it was bottled.

I suppose there is only one good thing about the oversupply and that is, the wines tend to be a bit cheaper on the shelves, although it does nothing for the winemakers.

Finally, on the subject of Margaret River wines, if my memory serves me correctly, the Leuwin Estate adopted something which had been used by Chateaux Mouton Rothschild for some years, in as much as the French producer commissioned famous artists to design labels for his premium wine (Grand cru Classe/first growth) bottles and along with the wines they became collectors items. As I said, if I recall correctly, Leuwin Estate produced the "Art series" labels for their premium wines..........don't know if they still do?

Thanks again GS for the "tips" on the Cab Sauvs and will certainly venture out and try a few if they are available here.

Interesting your comment as regards the "juice I've had this year from the tanks......" so you are fortunate enough to be on very good terms with the winemakers by the looks of things, or it could even be your full-time job – – lucky man!

The only wine I ever tasted from the tank was a Sauvignon Blanc in the Loire Valley and it was a cloudy pale green concoction, which did nothing for me whatsoever (Philistine I hear you say). However I was fortunate enough to taste some excellent red wines in barrel in Bordeaux, the Rhone and one in particular from a cellar in Beaune, and that one stands out because it was a Nuits St Georges and was very good even at such a young age.

I was then able to compare it with one of the winemakers own bottles from 1988 (I think it was 88) and that wine was absolutely superb. It was so good that I ordered some cases of the new vintage there and then (en primeur you could say) to be delivered when it was bottled.

I suppose there is only one good thing about the oversupply and that is, the wines tend to be a bit cheaper on the shelves, although it does nothing for the winemakers.

Finally, on the subject of Margaret River wines, if my memory serves me correctly, the Leuwin Estate adopted something which had been used by Chateaux Mouton Rothschild for some years, in as much as the French producer commissioned famous artists to design labels for his premium wine (Grand cru Classe/first growth) bottles and along with the wines they became collectors items. As I said, if I recall correctly, Leuwin Estate produced the "Art series" labels for their premium wines..........don't know if they still do?

If you're venturing to South Australia during your trip, send me a PM. Otherwise, Dan's will have most of the wineries I've mentioned (I think?)

As for tank tasting being my full time job, alas, no ;)

Funnily enough, my first tank taste this year was a Sauv. Blanc, it was tasting typically like a SB... They've rarely been my cup of tea, so you can blaspheme about them all you like, I'll usually join in with you.

RE: Leeuwin's Art Series, yeah they still do that and you can get it here in Thailand as well. I'm not sure about retail but definitely hotels and restaurants. I believe the godfather of Wine Imports in Thailand - Vanichwathana - imports it...

Now onto a tasting for the week...

Hold onto your hates boys and keep your corks in the bottle, because what I'm about to say will have you spitting "blasphemer"

I don't mind being adventourus, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Last night was an on the fence moment. Granmonte Khao Yai Chenin Blanc Viognier was the weapon of choice. Now at 700 baht a bottle, it's over priced, I won't deny it that. It's a problem that plagues Thai wine, it needs to be aware of its pricing.

But for what it is, it's really quite an enjoyable drop. These two, I wouldn't peg for being a match, it was certainly different, the acidic overdrive of the Chenin Blanc with the smooth sexyness of the Viognier, they were having a bit of a tussle for pole position on the palate.

A kin to a formula 1 race, it went like this. Chenin Blanc had pole with Viognier finishing slightly behind in qualifying (but still had the power to overtake if Chenin Blanc got a bad start).

As the lights went from red to green, Chenin Blanc jumped out of the blocks and was leading into the first turn when Viognier got the Jump on Chenin Blanc and tried to manouevre Chenin Blanc to the back of the pack.

Coming out of the first turn Viognier had edged in front but Chenin Blanc wasn't giving up, with KERS kicking in Chenin Blanc made a short lived race to the middle palate before Viognier executed a manoeuvre having activated its DRS to move in front heading towards the back palate.

On the final lap alcohol came back from a poor start to overtake both Chenin Blanc and Viognier on the final turn aptly named "bottleneck" and took out the Grand Prix.

In other words, it's not bad a choice, given the price bracket, I would take it over Jacobs Creek / Wyndham Estate or Penfold's simply on it's complexity of characters.

• Like 1

Great analogy GS and interesting to note that Thailand can make a good wine, albeit overpriced.

I haven't tried any of your recommendations as yet, although they are on my list, and I have been busy trying a few different wines to see if I can settle on one to my taste.

First of although I splashed out almost 1600 baht on a French Bourgogne by J. Claude Rateau as there was a three-day exhibition of all things French here in Patong, and some wine was for sale. Above what I would really like to have paid for a base level Burgundy however the producer is well known and a bit unique as he follows biodynamic methods (although not fully) and doesn't believe in using any new oak, so very little if any oak flavours are imparted to the wine.

Well, it didn't blow me away, but it was very pleasant wine, light in flavour and colour as most of the basic Bourgognes are, with faint aromas of raspberries/perhaps cherries on the nose, and floral fruit up until the mid-palate, with very little finish. In my opinion it could have done with a little oak to add another dimension to it.

Then onto a few Australian wines; Richland Westend Cabernet Sauvignon at around 799 baht per bottle, and if I was hoping to get the typical Cabernet Sauvignon blackcurrant/blueberry taste through, then I would be disappointed, because I couldn't get a lot out of that wine at all. The Deakin Estate Cabernet Sauvignon at around 699 per bottle did give some faint flavours, with softer tannins, however if I were to compare it with the Taylors Promised Land, it wouldn't come close to the same quality.

Saw the Jacobs Creek Reserve Barossa Shiraz 2010 on special, down from 1250 baht to 850 baht so thought I would give it a try. Maybe I'm looking for something in these wines that aren't actually there any more, however I was a bit disappointed with what could have been a fairly expensive bottle of wine, because the nose didn't offer much at all and I found the tannins to be just a little harsh with some herbal/herbaceousness in the wine which didn't sit that well with it. I think at least another two years in bottle would help, although when it gets back to its normal price I doubt it will be good value for money.

I had a bottle of Penfold's Private Release Shiraz/Cabernet in store for some time and thought I would taste it along with the others to get some sort of comparison. At 749 baht per bottle it seemed as if it could be good buying, and I wasn't at all disappointed with it although the wine needed some time to open up, and when it did it was the best of the bunch with just a hint of the blackcurrant and spice on the nose, with soft tannins and fruit evident even at the finish. I can also see this wine improving a little with age and may be tempted to buy a couple to put away.

Will let you know when I taste some of your recommendations.............

Well the inevitable happened this week at my usual watering hole..

The price has cranked up about 300 baht on my usual quaffing wine - Monsoon Valley Colombard...

Now this - I can confirm - is from the suppliers end.

I do however believe they're exempt from the first part of the excise tax equation, which is really stupid on their part given their already over priced.I was chatting about this wine with the Sommelier and Assistant Director of F&B. We all agreed it's overpriced and even more so now.

I'm now just going to BYO and wear the corkage, I'm still in front as far as I'm concerned..

I was actually at Isetan here in Bangkok, they've got a pretty decent range - I was only looking at the Australian labels, reasonably priced except for the Penfolds Bin 138 which was about 3800 baht!

One label that I was surprised to see was Tim Smith from the Barossa, he does a cracking GSM! I would have bought a bottle at 1050 I think it was, but was a bit hungover from the night before so wasn't looking for anything - well until I saw their little Japanese craft beer display then I was like "ah what the hell" hahah

Katnook Estate was there also which is a reliable Coonawarra Cab Sauv..

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, I've just discovered that TOPS supermarket here in Phuket stock a few Peter Lehmann wines and I found the Shiraz/Grenache to be be a cut above many other wines in a similar price bracket (599 baht).

Don't know if other TOPS supermarkets have the same range, but if they do this wine is worth a try, not a stunner, but a well made wine for the price.

www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/mclaren-vale-winery-darenberg-asked-to-rebrand-cheekilynamed-dadd-sparkling-white-by-prestigious-g-h-mumm-champagne-brand/story-fnii5yv4-1226787777446

What utter BS from Pernod!

I'll be not drinking any of their products in protest!

Bahahaha... but seriously, what a joke!

• 2 weeks later...

Was intrigued by this Spanish wine, especially given its age (2006) in the Wine Connection so thought I would give it a try.

http://www.monasteri...ed-2006_11.html

I couldn't find all of the wonderful descriptive tastes and aromas in it as described by Robert Parker, however it was a dark plum colour and had kept its structure very well considering its age, with very slight aromas of dark fruits, with a very, very slight bitter/oxidised aftertaste (could be the Carignan/Carinena in it).

I have been drinking some pretty powerful Aussie reds of late, so perhaps I was looking for the full on fruit effect, along with the clearly noticeable aromas in the above wine, evident with the Aussies, but not with this one.

Worth a try if looking for something different.

• Like 1

Had a very expensive (THB2500 - cost) bottle of Napa Pinot - what a total let down. Ok let me also state I didnt pay for it, so i am only mildly annoyed.

The wine has far too mauch alcohol - 15+%, even after decanting (glass to glass that is :) ) i still found it harsh, lost all the fruit & lightness associated with Pinot - almost had a cab/sav feel. Changing the temp & the glass did help a little, but I think the fruit was old when picked and this has changed the dynamic. Also 2005, but very very well stored & possible at the end of its life?

Any thoughts,,,,,?

Had a very expensive (THB2500 - cost) bottle of Napa Pinot - what a total let down. Ok let me also state I didnt pay for it, so i am only mildly annoyed.

The wine has far too mauch alcohol - 15+%, even after decanting (glass to glass that is smile.png ) i still found it harsh, lost all the fruit & lightness associated with Pinot - almost had a cab/sav feel. Changing the temp & the glass did help a little, but I think the fruit was old when picked and this has changed the dynamic. Also 2005, but very very well stored & possible at the end of its life?

Any thoughts,,,,,?

Compliments of the season Gents!

A 15%+ Pinot? Holy smokes that would have been almost undrinkable, surely the alcohol would have hazed over any left over fruit, no? At 2005 and stored as well as you describe, can't really be any reason why it shouldn't have stood up. Under cork or stelvin? If cork, could be the beginning of cork taint. But there could be a number of reasons why it wasn't tasting as it should. 2500 baht cost price? I'd be a bit disappointed even if it was free.

Been a busy week trying some very good wine!

Samuel's Gorge, holy smokes, this stuff is a little on the expensive side at Cellar Door around $45. But it is worth every cent! A small producer from the McLaren Vale.

Only do a small range; Shiraz, Mouvedre, Grenache and Tempranillo. They have 2 super premiums (Cellar Door $85) both are blends of Grenache Mouvedre Syrah and Tempranillo Grenache - the highlight for me in these two, aside from the juice, is the punt! The deepest I've ever held. Didn't get to have the Mouvedre as they're in the process of bottling it, but everything else is to die for! Just totally expressive fruit which is typical of the McLaren Vale region, they also supply fruit to a couple of other wineries in the Barossa who produce a McLaren Vale Shiraz and Grenache. The Tempranillo recently pulled off Gourmet Traveller's best Temp in the world - not that speaks much to it on face value but it was up against some serious Spanish numbers. Catching up with the winemaker on Friday for lunch so I'm hoping to do some barrel tastings of the Mouvedre.

Here's to a year filled with some cracking good wines, look forward to hearing what everyone's drinking throughout the year.

The wine has far too mauch alcohol - 15+%, even after decanting (glass to glass that is smile.png ) i still found it harsh, lost all the fruit & lightness associated with Pinot - almost had a cab/sav feel. Changing the temp & the glass did help a little, but I think the fruit was old when picked and this has changed the dynamic. Also 2005, but very very well stored & possible at the end of its life?

Any thoughts,,,,,?

Compliments of the season Gents!

A 15%+ Pinot? Holy smokes that would have been almost undrinkable, surely the alcohol would have hazed over any left over fruit, no? At 2005 and stored as well as you describe, can't really be any reason why it shouldn't have stood up. Under cork or stelvin? If cork, could be the beginning of cork taint. But there could be a number of reasons why it wasn't tasting as it should. 2500 baht cost price? I'd be a bit disappointed even if it was free.

Been a busy week trying some very good wine!

Samuel's Gorge, holy smokes, this stuff is a little on the expensive side at Cellar Door around $45. But it is worth every cent! A small producer from the McLaren Vale.

Only do a small range; Shiraz, Mouvedre, Grenache and Tempranillo. They have 2 super premiums (Cellar Door $85) both are blends of Grenache Mouvedre Syrah and Tempranillo Grenache - the highlight for me in these two, aside from the juice, is the punt! The deepest I've ever held. Didn't get to have the Mouvedre as they're in the process of bottling it, but everything else is to die for! Just totally expressive fruit which is typical of the McLaren Vale region, they also supply fruit to a couple of other wineries in the Barossa who produce a McLaren Vale Shiraz and Grenache. The Tempranillo recently pulled off Gourmet Traveller's best Temp in the world - not that speaks much to it on face value but it was up against some serious Spanish numbers. Catching up with the winemaker on Friday for lunch so I'm hoping to do some barrel tastings of the Mouvedre.

Here's to a year filled with some cracking good wines, look forward to hearing what everyone's drinking throughout the year.

Doing it tough mate.........

Doing it tough mate.........

Mate, gotta take the good with the bad wink.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you sure that you don't need somebody to help carry your bags on these "expeditions" of yours GS – – I can't pay you much though!!

I'm just about to try a 2005 Shiraz from McLaren Vale and the alcohol content in that is 15%, however I do know that despite the alcohol content being a little high for my liking, and the fact that it can come through as "volatile aromas" in this temperature, in general the Aussie wines can stand it because of their tannins and fruit. Will let you know how that goes.

As for the Californian Pinot Noir, Eezergood, well I found the following 2008 tasting notes on it;

"A shocking Pinot Noir ... I was expecting one thing and got something completely different. There is very little recognizable Pinot ... this is an over-the top fruit bomb. This wine had a pronounced nose of very ripe raspberry and a mouth-filling personality. The closest comparison would be raspberry-swirl, vanilla bean ice cream. Don't buy this wine if you appreciate the subtleties on Pinot ... but drink up if you just want a juicy, confected cocktail wine".

Another taster suggested that in the year 2010 it was actually over the hill, so being tasted here in Thailand in 2013 is probably stretching it a bit, although it could well have been cellared well.

I have to say that I find the offerings from the USA so variable that it sometimes hard to ascertain exactly what you are drinking. In addition IMO they do tend to make some red wines with a little "sweet" edge to them – – perhaps they like them like that. I tried an absolutely excellent 1984 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve in the mid-90s and although that was a very good wine it still had that slight "sweet" edge to it. Likewise the Chateau Ste Michelle from Washington State which I have posted about here, although a very good Syrah, that too has a "sweet" edge.

Sad to say (pricewise that is) for us folk that like the Pinot Noir grape, the best expression in the world of this is in Burgundy, and despite the likes of New Zealand being held up as a producer of good Pinot Noir, I have tasted the best they have had to offer, and they are nowhere near the best from Bourgogne.

In summary, I would say that the Pinot Noir you tasted, Eezergood, was on its way out, although as GS suggested there could be a problem with the cork, however if it was due to that you would have certainly noticed it immediately on the nose, and certainly on the palate, as the methoxypyrazene which produces this taint, is very pronounced and undesirable and makes the wine just about undrinkable.

Quote: "...........cork, however if it was due to that you would have certainly noticed it immediately on the nose, and certainly on the palate, as the methoxypyrazene............."

OOPS.........I must be getting old, because I have got my chemical substances mixed up!!!!! I woke up suddenly this morning and realised the mistake, which is almost unforgivable. Methoxypyrazine is the compound which is responsible for the herbaceousness in some wine, and in particular Cabernet Sauvignon when the grapes haven't had enough sunshine/heat, whereas Trichloroanisole is the chemical compound which is the usual cause of cork taint or corked wine, and is thought to be associated with the bleaching/sterilisation of cork reacting with something in the cork bark.

Just goes to show that I should not rely on my memory too much these days, and I may just have to start searching Google rather than just relying on the old grey matter......... a sad state of affairs so I'll probably have to drink more red wine to compensate for the sadness!!!

• Like 1

Quote: "...........cork, however if it was due to that you would have certainly noticed it immediately on the nose, and certainly on the palate, as the methoxypyrazene............."

OOPS.........I must be getting old, because I have got my chemical substances mixed up!!!!! I woke up suddenly this morning and realised the mistake, which is almost unforgivable. Methoxypyrazine is the compound which is responsible for the herbaceousness in some wine, and in particular Cabernet Sauvignon when the grapes haven't had enough sunshine/heat, whereas Trichloroanisole is the chemical compound which is the usual cause of cork taint or corked wine, and is thought to be associated with the bleaching/sterilisation of cork reacting with something in the cork bark.

Just goes to show that I should not rely on my memory too much these days, and I may just have to start searching Google rather than just relying on the old grey matter......... a sad state of affairs so I'll probably have to drink more red wine to compensate for the sadness!!!

Thats the bath-tub gin from Bangla..........

• Like 2

Hahah she who must be obeyed may have a strong opinion on that... Just need to be mindful of the old bailey at swampy when I come back :P

I think a 15%er will still have quite an alcohol kick to it... Though it should be a little cooler - if that makes sense - than a 15%er from Barossa..

As for cork taint, don't worry mate the other night I had some guy at the pub preaching that it was formaldehyde and wouldn't be corrected. Pretty funny as there were 3 wine makers, a wine sales director and an importer at the pub with me and we had this guy so wound up. I even showed him the difference via the interwebs, it was only then that he went "oh, shut the front door, I'm feeling a little stupid now"

Nothing like a little education to bring everyone together...

• Like 2

Yes, I also think that as I get older I should brush up on my knowledge, because names/words don't always spring so readily to mind these days, especially as I am not in the wine business and rely on my experience from many years in the past. More reading required I think, and especially more tasting!!

As for the 15%er, well it was an, "Olivers Taranga Vineyards 2005 Shiraz"........you may well have come across this in your travels GS?

I expected it to be too "spirity" so I had cooled it very slightly before drinking so that the alcohol wouldn't be too dominant and it worked very well. The initial nose was of "stewed dark fruits" and almost port-like and indeed it was a dark brooding wine in colour, however the tannins were very soft with the fruit giving an underlying taste of very ripe blueberries/blackcurrants.

It had thrown a sediment, as I quite expected, however the wine was very enjoyable and I was lucky that I shared it with one other imbiber, otherwise I'm sure I would have suffered the next morning.

• Like 2

Oliver's Taringa know it quite well, I've actually just come back from the Mclaren Vale today visiting some friends from Samuel's Gorge (just up the road from Oliver's) The owner and winemaker is quite a character, calls it like it is.

Actually had a couple of 15%ers from the Vale today and they're totally different to their Northern cousins from the Barossa, the fruit masks the alcohol very well - dangerously well even hahah - time for a nap before I switch to some craft beers tonight...

• Like 1

Had a newie this weekend - Fruilano from Schiopetto 2012. First on the nose was very alcoholic & grapefruit bitter - the flavour was pretty much the same. I put it back into the chiller & changed to a 'decent glass' - WOW what a difference.

All the, overpowering, alcohol had gone nothing but fruits, some citrus & buttery flowers. On the mouth the same, rich, buttery yet with a clean crisp (not enough for me) floral flavour. Perhaps a little too you? , but I think in a year this will be outstanding! Well worthe the price (In Thailand comparisons, not real world)

Overall I am a convert - I was told the 2006-8 is STILL around and even better

• Like 1

Was having a conversation with my dad the other night over some different varietals and how glassware affects the palate delivery.

He's done quite a few classes with Georg Riedel over the last couple of years and he converted after the first one. My mum thinks it's <deleted> so we showed her what we meant. She's stubborn but she's slowly coming around to the idea...

Last night had a Tim Adams Pinot Gris from Clare Valley at a restaurant, if you tasted it blind you would swear it was a Riesling, just had all those typical aromas that you get from a Clare Valley Riesling even the bottle shape resembled a typical Riesling, but there was just to enough on the nose and the back palate to say "hang on a second, this is actually a Pinot Gris"

Was also down at Coriole in the McLaren Vale yesterday - my god it's hot in this part of the world - was tasting through their range, some really refreshing whites Chenin Blanc and Fiano which were just what the doctor ordered for the weather...

Today's expected to be the hottest recorded day in Adelaide at 46 so plenty of chilled whites in the fridge for tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It's a shame some of the less know varietals don't get the coverage they deserve, Pinot Gris and Fiano being two more Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Have not tasted the Fiano, but have the Pinot Gris (Pinot Grigio in Italy) and like it, although I am predominantly a red drinker.

Unlike Fiano, Pinot Gris has achieved some fame worldwide with different styles produced in France, Italy, New Zealand, OZ and the USA to name a few, and gained a reputation as the "new in-wine" starting a few years back when Chardonnay was seen as "passe" and Sauvignon Blanc "over-done".

A very easy drinker ranging from Riesling-like to quite dry and would suit this climate well.

Of the estimated 4,000 or so grape varieties, we only focus on a few, so there will be many other "undiscovered gems" out there!!

So many wines.....so little time!

• Like 2

I don't usually post photos of wine labels / bottles.. But I couldn't resist after seeing this one.

A picture speaks a thousand words and all that..

post-147583-13900443037703_thumb.jpg

Came across it by chance really, got chatting with a random bloke in a pub and then one thing leads to another and I was headed up to the winery..

Turns out, the guy I was talking to is a director of the winery hahaha..

The wine in the photo is their flagship Shiraz, Adelaide Hills Shiraz.. Big, bold bottle the punt is one of those that you grab and go 'yup this is going to be good'.

The juice is really silky and smooth, was expecting barossaesque but so happy it wasn't..

• Like 1

Onto something lighter than the big, brassy, bold, fruit driven Aussie wines, and that is the everyday Pinot Noir now made in New Zealand. Below is the link to an interesting article on these and I have tried three of them, and whilst they are not generally "Burgundian" in style, they are very pleasant light drinkers with fruit evident on the palate, but nothing much on the finish.

The very best of the New Zealand Pinot Noirs are good, but still not a patch on those made in France, although the prices can be up amongst those paid for a relatively good Burgundy.

Happy reading..........

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/drinks/9581033/Five-cheap-NZ-pinots-to-try

Onto something lighter than the big, brassy, bold, fruit driven Aussie wines, and that is the everyday Pinot Noir now made in New Zealand. Below is the link to an interesting article on these and I have tried three of them, and whilst they are not generally "Burgundian" in style, they are very pleasant light drinkers with fruit evident on the palate, but nothing much on the finish.

The very best of the New Zealand Pinot Noirs are good, but still not a patch on those made in France, although the prices can be up amongst those paid for a relatively good Burgundy.

Happy reading..........

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/drinks/9581033/Five-cheap-NZ-pinots-to-try

NZ Pinot's the bridesmaid of their industry.

Really unfortunate too, I do like a number of their proponents, I've had 2 out of the 5 in that article, 1 & 5, find number 1 overrated and number 5 severely underrated.

I think number 5 was pursuing an organic certification or biodynamic something Eco friendly.. But the juice was quite delightful, very Burgundian, which is strange for Marlborough variant, I do prefer Central Otago Pinot's I do wish more cool climates would stop pumping their Pinot grapes into Sparkling's :P

Just back from Australia tonight, had some Cab Sauv in the fridge which had been there - opened - before I left. I was delightfully surprised that having left it in the fridge the wine was still alive and well 2 weeks later, past experience was telling me that it was surely going to be dead, seems living in the tropics has its advantages hahaha

• Like 1

Happy reading..........

NZ Pinot's the bridesmaid of their industry.

Really unfortunate too, I do like a number of their proponents, I've had 2 out of the 5 in that article, 1 & 5, find number 1 overrated and number 5 severely underrated.

I think number 5 was pursuing an organic certification or biodynamic something Eco friendly.. But the juice was quite delightful, very Burgundian, which is strange for Marlborough variant, I do prefer Central Otago Pinot's I do wish more cool climates would stop pumping their Pinot grapes into Sparkling's tongue.png

Just back from Australia tonight, had some Cab Sauv in the fridge which had been there - opened - before I left. I was delightfully surprised that having left it in the fridge the wine was still alive and well 2 weeks later, past experience was telling me that it was surely going to be dead, seems living in the tropics has its advantages hahaha

Being a Kiwi, I support the NZ winemaking industry and we do have some good wines, however there are occasions where we shout too loudly about average wines.

I think this is probably the case with some of the Pinot Noirs as I have tasted a few of the best, and despite NZ wine critics lauding them, they are nowhere near the better Burgundies, despite the prices being around the same!

I remember many years ago when a wine made on Waiheke Island (Auckland) called Stoneyridge Larose was compared to some of the Bordeaux Grand Cru Classe wines and fetched an obscene price. Bottles were selling at auction for $120, and at the same auction I could buy a good Aussie Penfold's St Henri for half that price and a good Bordeaux for the same.

I conducted a blind tasting at a dinner party in 2000 between a 1990 Stoneyridge Larose and a 1990 Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste, both decanted for an hour prior to tasting, and the Stonyridge came out a very poor second, as there was absolutely no comparison between the two.

Similarly in the mid to late 80s, New Zealand was going through an "oak phase" whereby many of the whites were receiving quite heavy-handed oak treatment and were being heralded by all and sundry as world beating wines. The oak treatment on some of the Sauvignon Blancs (called Fume Blanc) really detracted from anything that the grape had to offer, and the same with some Chardonnays, with the "worst" (IMO, at that time) being the Black Label Morton Estate which had heavy-handed oak treatment.

It seemed to be the in thing at the time and whilst some folk liked it, others didn't, however I was interested in seeing how it aged so I bought a few bottles of the 1987 and laid them down for about four years. When I finally tasted them, it was like drinking some alcoholic liquid through woodchips, with just about no fruit evident and not a good wine in my opinion.

Of course things change, because I think the 1997 Chardonnay was voted "one of the best in the world" but I don't think it had the same heavy-handed treatment as its predecessors mentioned above.

So my point is that although NZ makes some very good wines, on some occasions, perhaps we are just a little "too enthusiastic" about their good points!!

PS. We've come a long way since then, because our Sauvignon Blancs are rated highly around the world by other wine enthusiasts, as are some of the Rieslings and Pinot Gris wines. And for a lovely Chardonnay, the Kim Crawford unoaked Chardonnay takes some beating.

• Like 1