Montclair Wine

GiantFan

Flying to Europe tonight - watch this space!

No doubt trying some good wines to help your trip along!!

As you are a resident of Phuket, then I would think it ok that you post your wine experiences (hopefully, please, mods) as the more we know the more we learn and we might be able to source it here?

Have a good trip.

• Like 1

^ Much appreciated, xylophone.

I used to drink Oxford Landing Cabernet Shiraz (Australian) in the UK but haven't found it here. Don't know if it's considered a good wine, but I loved it! biggrin.png

No problems, only too pleased to help AND I have tried the Oxford Landing wines on many occasions and they are smart well-made wines for a given price point – – now owned by Yalumba I believe.

Something I feel I need to follow up on with regards to my list of wines is the fact that they may not be to everyone's liking AND I always chill my red wines in a small wine fridge, taking them out and opening them some 30 min before I am due to drink them, and always pouring some into a glass as that will be the first to increase in temperature – – just ready for the food!!

I do this because it is generally recommended that red wine be drunk at around 20° C (give or take a couple of degrees) however if I didn't chill it then I would be drinking it at somewhere around 28 to 30° C, and this would give less desirable aromas and flavours to the wine. As it is I can usually manage to get most of the bottle away at one sitting with always maintaining the temperature somewhere towards the optimum.

I have judged all of the wines I have tasted using this routine, however if someone were to drink the red wines at the higher temperature, then they might be put off or think it was a poor wine choice........!

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

I used to drink Oxford Landing Cabernet Shiraz (Australian) in the UK but haven't found it here. Don't know if it's considered a good wine, but I loved it! biggrin.png

No problems, only too pleased to help AND I have tried the Oxford Landing wines on many occasions and they are smart well-made wines for a given price point – – now owned by Yalumba I believe.

Something I feel I need to follow up on with regards to my list of wines is the fact that they may not be to everyone's liking AND I always chill my red wines in a small wine fridge, taking them out and opening them some 30 min before I am due to drink them, and always pouring some into a glass as that will be the first to increase in temperature – – just ready for the food!!

I do this because it is generally recommended that red wine be drunk at around 20° C (give or take a couple of degrees) however if I didn't chill it then I would be drinking it at somewhere around 28 to 30° C, and this would give less desirable aromas and flavours to the wine. As it is I can usually manage to get most of the bottle away at one sitting with always maintaining the temperature somewhere towards the optimum.

I have judged all of the wines I have tasted using this routine, however if someone were to drink the red wines at the higher temperature, then they might be put off or think it was a poor wine choice........!

re. chilling in a fridge: me, too. One of the problems I have is condensation on the glass. I have tried many glasses - the standard red wine glass with a stem and a base allows the condensation to run down the stem to the base where it collects and then drips all over you as soon as you tilt the glass! mad.gif

So now my "red wine glass" is more like a tumbler whose side allows the condensate to run off into an absorptive coaster and not onto me! biggrin.png

Is this a problem you have encountered... and, if so, how do you overcome it?

Quote laislica: "I bought a bottle of Pata Negra, Gran Reserva 2005 a Valdepeñas, 13% by volume" and "I also bought a Monte Ducay Reserva 2009, Cariñene 13%"

Just looking at your post made my tastebuds tingle and I have to say that I had to dig deep into the grey matter to recall something about these wines, and even then I didn't know a great deal!

When I saw the word "Carinene" I was aware that it was the Spanish name for the grape called Carignan, also grown in France, and making pretty low quality wine, which you could probably call "jug wine". So I thought the wine would consist of that grape, however it doesn't, it's just that it is the birthplace of that grape!! In addition, the wine contains some Cabernet Sauvignon, traditionally known as one of the French grapes producing Bordeaux wines, so it seems like collusion between France and Spain for once!!

Actually, Cabernet Sauvignon was a variety which was/is favoured by the famous Spanish wine maker, Miguel Torres, and he experimented using this with blends of the great Spanish grape, Tempranillo and made some fabulous wines and still does. For bit of added information, it was his Gran Coronas Mas La Plana 1970 which set the French back hugely at a wine tasting in Paris in 1979 when it was tasted in amongst 330 wines, and was awarded the top prize for a wine which was a Cabernet blend..........and you need to remember that the finest wines of Bordeaux were in that category, and this beat them all.

The French had already had a setback in 1976 when a private wine tasting in Paris pitting some of the best wines of France against those of the USA resulted in many of the wines from the USA taking the top places and it was such a shock that some of the tasters tried to find excuses for the rankings.

As for your "Pata Negra",I could almost taste it as I was reading your post – – sounds like a lovely wine made from Spain's premier grape, Tempranillo. Careful what you post as I may be arriving on the next plane!!

• Like 1

re. chilling in a fridge: me, too. One of the problems I have is condensation on the glass. I have tried many glasses - the standard red wine glass with a stem and a base allows the condensation to run down the stem to the base where it collects and then drips all over you as soon as you tilt the glass! mad.gif

So now my "red wine glass" is more like a tumbler whose side allows the condensate to run off into an absorptive coaster and not onto me! biggrin.png

Had to chuckle because the same happens to me and I haven't really found an answer to it apart from remembering to occasionally wipe the bottom of the wineglass with a tissue kept nearby!!

Had to chuckle because the same happens to me and I haven't really found an answer to it apart from remembering to occasionally wipe the bottom of the wineglass with a tissue kept nearby!!

If you are drinking in an air conditioned room it appears to be less of a problem. probably the air-con removes a lot of moisture from the air. I keep all my good reds in a standard fridge that I keep wound down to the minimum setting. This appears to keep them around 10 - 12 degrees C. probably not as good as a dedicated wine fridge but I can't justify the price difference i.e. standard medium fridge around 6 - 7K but wine fridge around 20K.

Quote Bcg: "If you are drinking in an air conditioned room it appears to be less of a problem. probably the air-con removes a lot of moisture from the air. I keep all my good reds in a standard fridge that I keep wound down to the minimum setting. This appears to keep them around 10 - 12 degrees C. probably not as good as a dedicated wine fridge but I can't justify the price difference i.e. standard medium fridge around 6 - 7K but wine fridge around 20K".

Thanks for the tip, will switch the aircon on and try that!

Good idea re the standard fridge and keeping the wine at that temp is just fine and doesn't need to be any cooler. In fact I remember being in the wine cellar (actually more of a cave) of a respected winemaker in the Loire Valley where his wines were stored and aged, and he said the temp stayed at around 56°F (about 13°C) which was ideal for storing his wines.

High temperatures and sunlight are no good for wine, nor are constant temperature fluctuations/variations, so you have got it just about right by the sound of it.

Quote laislica: "I bought a bottle of Pata Negra, Gran Reserva 2005 a Valdepeñas, 13% by volume" and "I also bought a Monte Ducay Reserva 2009, Cariñene 13%"

Just looking at your post made my tastebuds tingle and I have to say that I had to dig deep into the grey matter to recall something about these wines, and even then I didn't know a great deal!

When I saw the word "Carinene" I was aware that it was the Spanish name for the grape called Carignan, also grown in France, and making pretty low quality wine, which you could probably call "jug wine". So I thought the wine would consist of that grape, however it doesn't, it's just that it is the birthplace of that grape!! In addition, the wine contains some Cabernet Sauvignon, traditionally known as one of the French grapes producing Bordeaux wines, so it seems like collusion between France and Spain for once!!

Actually, Cabernet Sauvignon was a variety which was/is favoured by the famous Spanish wine maker, Miguel Torres, and he experimented using this with blends of the great Spanish grape, Tempranillo and made some fabulous wines and still does. For bit of added information, it was his Gran Coronas Mas La Plana 1970 which set the French back hugely at a wine tasting in Paris in 1979 when it was tasted in amongst 330 wines, and was awarded the top prize for a wine which was a Cabernet blend..........and you need to remember that the finest wines of Bordeaux were in that category, and this beat them all.

The French had already had a setback in 1976 when a private wine tasting in Paris pitting some of the best wines of France against those of the USA resulted in many of the wines from the USA taking the top places and it was such a shock that some of the tasters tried to find excuses for the rankings.

As for your "Pata Negra",I could almost taste it as I was reading your post – – sounds like a lovely wine made from Spain's premier grape, Tempranillo. Careful what you post as I may be arriving on the next plane!!

Ye when can we visit? we will bring a bottle .

• Like 2

If you are drinking in an air conditioned room it appears to be less of a problem. probably the air-con removes a lot of moisture from the air. I keep all my good reds in a standard fridge that I keep wound down to the minimum setting. This appears to keep them around 10 - 12 degrees C. probably not as good as a dedicated wine fridge but I can't justify the price difference i.e. standard medium fridge around 6 - 7K but wine fridge around 20K.

My standard fridge quite easily gets to 4ºC - 5ºC on it's "medium" setting. I have a room thermometer and use it to monitor and adjust the temperature.

I usually drink in a non-air-con room, so that fact combined with the very cold red wine (initially) probably accounts for my condensation problem! biggrin.png

To solve the condensation problem and yet still be able to enjoy the wine from a long stemmed wine glass:

Take one of those round tissue type coasters and cut into it to the centre,

make a few small cuts radiating outwards from the centre.

Slip it over the stem. The coaster lines the base and absorbs the water.

• Like 1

My standard fridge quite easily gets to 4ºC - 5ºC on it's "medium" setting. I have a room thermometer and use it to monitor and adjust the temperature.

I usually drink in a non-air-con room, so that fact combined with the very cold red wine (initially) probably accounts for my condensation problem! biggrin.png

Yes, good thinking...........and no probs with your wine at that temp as it won't hurt them, just takes longer to get up to optimum drinking temp as you've alluded to!!

On this thread I have posted about the quality of French wines, the good Australian wines and how they can be sometimes overpowering with huge fruit and high alcohol, and the fact that some French wine producers have now started to lift their act and listen to what the customers want rather than produce what they always thought they would do!!

Here is a link to an article from my hometown which covers some of this and also explains the role of a wine merchant. I had the pleasure of being able to accompany J.C. Poizat on one of his trips around France and it was a very full on trip, covering the Loire, Bordeaux, Languedoc, the Southern and Northern Rhône and finally Bourgogne (Burgundy).

It makes for light, interesting reading for wine enthusiasts.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10896207

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

Patong Villa Market:-

Went into the new Villa Market store in Patong (on the beach Road in new building next to "Banana Walk") to check it out.

Nowhere near the size of the one at Chalong, however seems to have some goodies in there, so I checked out the wine and was sorry to say that it was somewhat more expensive so I got some prices as follows...........

The French wine I recommended before "Belleville" is at 325 baht (295 baht in Chalong); the Grant Burge range were all priced at 555 baht (they can be purchased elsewhere for around 450 baht); the Australian wine, "Bushman's Gully" Cab/Shiraz was 373 baht and my favourite box wine of the moment, "Bodegas Centenarias" Cab/Merlot was 839 baht (749 baht in Makro). Unfortunately they were also selling the mock Chilean Chardonnay wine, "Monte Chilena" (originating in Spain, marketed as if it was from Chile and imported by a Danish company before finding its way to Thailand) and if it is anything like the red Shiraz, it will be disgusting.

I also saw a box wine that has been recommended on this thread, "Bota Box" Merlot, however at 1418 baht for 3 L, it seems relatively expensive to me. Haven't tried it, so may have to do that.

And for the folks here who have expressed a liking for New Zealand wines, a few I thought were reasonably priced were the New Zealand Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris from Tahuna, at around 790 baht – – may be okay for the occasional special occasion?

I also noticed that a "Bodegas Centenarias" Sauvignon Blanc was available in a 3 L box for the same price as the red above and I wondered if anybody had tried it?

After doing the rounds of this new store, I popped into the new Wine Connection shop up on the next level, only to find that it was predominantly a restaurant with seating inside and out, with just a small selection of wines available, so the one next to Jungceylon is the best bet for wine selection.

Edited by xylophone

Went into the new Villa Market store in Patong (on the beach Road in new building next to "Banana Walk") to check it out.

Nowhere near the size of the one at Chalong, however seems to have some goodies in there, so I checked out the wine and was sorry to say that it was somewhat more expensive so I got some prices as follows...........

The French wine I recommended before "Belleville" is at 325 baht (295 baht in Chalong); the Grant Burge range were all priced at 555 baht (they can be purchased elsewhere for around 450 baht); the Australian wine, "Bushman's Gully" Cab/Shiraz was 373 baht and my favourite box wine of the moment, "Bodegas Centenarias" Cab/Merlot was 839 baht (749 baht in Makro). Unfortunately they were also selling the mock Chilean Chardonnay wine, "Monte Chilena" (originating in Spain, marketed as if it was from Chile and imported by a Danish company before finding its way to Thailand) and if it is anything like the red Shiraz, it will be disgusting.

I also saw a box wine that has been recommended on this thread, "Bota Box" Merlot, however at 1418 baht for 3 L, it seems relatively expensive to me. Haven't tried it, so may have to do that.

And for the folks here who have expressed a liking for New Zealand wines, a few I thought were reasonably priced were the New Zealand Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris from Tahuna, at around 790 baht – – may be okay for the occasional special occasion?

I also noticed that a "Bodegas Centenarias" Sauvignon Blanc was available in a 3 L box for the same price as the red above and I wondered if anybody had tried it?

After doing the rounds of this new store, I popped into the new Wine Connection shop up on the next level, only to find that it was predominantly a restaurant with seating inside and out, with just a small selection of wines available, so the one next to Jungceylon is the best bet for wine selection.

I have tried the "Bodegas Centenarias" Sauv. Blanc and it is very good. In fact we used to drink it as an everyday wine. One of my favourite wines is sauv blanc and I had tried many of the boxed whites over the years we have been here. This is by far the best. As I said in an earler post, I try to stay clear of the boxes but we still have one of these in the fridge for "emergencies" as it is as close to bottle quality that I think you could get in a box. Also I don't remember any headaches with this wine.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

After the post by Laislica on his Spanish wine experience, I decided to hunt down a nice Spanish wine in Patong and drink it along with a paella I was going to make that evening.

I found a Spanish wine I hadn't seen before in Big C but I had some doubts about it because it was a 2007 vintage and was over my usual price range (650 baht or thereabouts), but it was labelled a "Crianza" which means that it was aged for a minimum of two years (at least six months of that in oak barrels) before release, so in effect it's travelling time and storage time (since 2009, its release date) was within a range I felt comfortable with.

The wine was a "Ramon Roqueta, Tempranillo/Cab Sauvignon, Crianza 2007 and comes from the Catalonia region, north-eastern Spain, which has Barcelona as its capital.

Of course I expected it to exhibit the characteristics of an older wine, because it was, however when poured into the glass it was still a dark red colour, although exhibiting a brown edge and unfortunately sediment, which had mixed with the wine. Nothing on the nose to start with, and very little at the end of the bottle, but as the wine opened up there was just a hint of fruit on the mid-palate and a dry finish as is the way with many wines from Spain (in particular Rioja).

The fruit was not that evident in this wine leaving it with an oaky/dryish taste and finish, however this is a style that has been around in Spain for many years and which many people like, but as tastes change, so the grapes being used and the vinification methods are changing.

As a footnote, many of the bigger Australian reds are able to keep much of their fruit, even though they go through barrel ageing, because of the way they are made and the presence of so much fruit extraction in the early stages. Also of course the types of barrel used affect the taste.

Summary: – not the "little gem" I was looking for and I wouldn't buy again although altogether not an unpleasant experience.

• Like 2

For one bottle of good vino, you can buy one, or two bottles of a quality spirit that has no danger of disappointment.

No contest.

A good point if that's your thing, but unfortunately I can't drink much in the way of spirits I (a rum and coke on a few occasions perhaps) and I find the food and wine match intriguing. So made it my hobby and really enjoy it!

Back onto the topic of wine, and in particular something in a bottle which will/can match Montclair, given the price point. In addition being prompted by the Spanish experience of Laislica, I decided to try something which I had seen in Big C (Patong). It was a Tempranillo from Don Simon.

My head told me that a wine at 299 baht a bottle and not on special, could not be that good, however my heart was still looking for the "little gem" and the wine label actually stated that it was, "the best selling Spanish wine in the world", so I thought I would try it. It comes from the region of Castilla (near enough central Spain) which is renowned for its production of low to average quality wines, although I am sure that better wines are made in this region.

I also have to point out that it had no vintage year on the label, so that can mean that it is a wine blended from a few different years, which can very often spell danger as regards quality.

Well, when opened, the wine had absolutely no aromas whatsoever (no nose) and no taste, even though it was of good colour for a lighter wine and no sediment (as one would expect from something like this). Despite leaving it to open up, this never eventuated and the wine had no fruit flavours in it, just a dry version of a slightly flavoured water.

This style may find favour with some wine folk, but not with me as it had nothing to recommend it. If I was trying to compare it to something, then the 2 or 3 L bottles of cheap Italian wine would be a cut above this, and if I was offered a glass of Montclair versus this wine, then I would choose the Montclair.

As for being, "the best selling Spanish wine in the world", I can only assume that this relates to the sheer quantity of wine produced in this region which is quite huge, and supposedly has vineyards covering more acreage than those in Australia.

I couldn't recommend it, but as we all have different tastes, I would welcome any other feedback on it.

• Like 2

Siam Wineries imports Berri Estates from Oz and advertises it as Australia's favourite wine. What they don't tell you is that it is the favourite of alcoholics and homeless drunks because you can buy a 5 litre box for about 300 Baht. Advertising is never what it appears to be!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I am off to Hong Kong for the coming long weekend. Does anyone know if quality wines can be had at a reasonable price there or am I wasting my time looking?

I am off to Hong Kong for the coming long weekend. Does anyone know if quality wines can be had at a reasonable price there or am I wasting my time looking?

There's usually a reasonable range of good drinking wines at the larger Park'N'Rob stores.

I'm guessing you're asking about wines to purchase from a shop, as opposed to a bar/restaurant?

There's usually a reasonable range of good drinking wines at the larger Park'N'Rob stores.

I'm guessing you're asking about wines to purchase from a shop, as opposed to a bar/restaurant?

Correct. Thought I might stock up on a few good wines to bring back with me if prices were more friendly than here. Travelling with wife and kids so bars are not on the itinerary.

Siam Wineries imports Berri Estates from Oz and advertises it as Australia's favourite wine. What they don't tell you is that it is the favourite of alcoholics and homeless drunks because you can buy a 5 litre box for about 300 Baht. Advertising is never what it appears to be!

Hmmm...... I looked at this wine yesterday in Tesco Lotus in Phuket town as had never really taken notice of it before. On the label at the back it talked about the grapes being selected from Australian vineyards, then underneath that was the notation: "Produced and bottled by Siam Winery, Thailand" or words very similar to that.

Although the "produced and bottled by Siam winery" is misleading, I can only guess what you have said in the past is true, that it is exported here in bulk!!

So although I don't want to fall into the category of, "alcoholics and homeless drunks" (well not yet anyway), how does it compare to something like Montclair which is sold at the same price per bottle?

Has anyone tried it?

Edited by xylophone

Siam winery promoted the Berri Estates at a recent AUSCHAM function I went to at the Pattaya Hilton. It was the red and white and my wife tried the white and was unimpressed. She has tried the Montclair and thought it was better. I was drinking the red that night. I thought it was drinkable on the basis I wasn't paying for it but not worth 299 a bottle. I think that there are far better wines available at a similar price or 20 - 30 baht more.

I'm in Hong Kong at present and have just bought a very nice NZ sauv blanc, on special. Two bottles for 500 Baht. Will stock up before returning to Thailand tomorrow.

• Like 2

I'm in Hong Kong at present and have just bought a very nice NZ sauv blanc, on special. Two bottles for 500 Baht. Will stock up before returning to Thailand tomorrow.

Excellent price on those 2 NZ sauv blancs you bought in HK....

• Like 1

And for the folks here who have expressed a liking for New Zealand wines, a few I thought were reasonably priced were the New Zealand Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris from Tahuna, at around 790 baht may be okay for the occasional special occasion?

I have tried the "Bodegas Centenarias" Sauv. Blanc and it is very good. In fact we used to drink it as an everyday wine. One of my favourite wines is sauv blanc and I had tried many of the boxed whites over the years we have been here. This is by far the best. As I said in an earler post, I try to stay clear of the boxes but we still have one of these in the fridge for "emergencies" as it is as close to bottle quality that I think you could get in a box. Also I don't remember any headaches with this wine.

I think the Bodegas Sauv. Blanc is not bad for a box white, but be careful! I have had 2 boxes spring a leak on me. Quite disturbing to open the fridge in the morning and find your wine is dripping everywhere!