Deodorant

nickmanchester2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem here with deodorant is I have never been a fan of "roll-ons" for a number of reasons, high content of aluminum being the main one. But then again that is what is needed for an "antiperspirant".

I have always preferred a solid stick style....and they are nearly impossible to find here. You have 15 different brands of roll ons, and a few aerosols, but the only solid stick I have come across is by Nivea. It's very small and does not last long..about 150bht.

I havnt actually checked how much they cost, nor have i made any statistic how long they last, but,

assuming a bottle cost 150 baht, and last one month, that is a grand total of 5 baht per day.

Equal to a 3-pack of big leo a month from 7/11.

Edited by poanoi

I havnt actually checked how much they cost, nor have i made any statistic how long they last, but,

assuming a bottle cost 150 baht, and last one month, that is a grand total of 5 baht per day.

I guess, but half a days wages for a thai on minimum wage sounds like a big expense to me... if I was on UK minimum wages, 1 can would be £22 at half days pay on minimum pay - but you can actually get 2 cans from poundland for.... well.... £1

My problem here with deodorant is I have never been a fan of "roll-ons" for a number of reasons, high content of aluminum being the main one. But then again that is what is needed for an "antiperspirant".

I have always preferred a solid stick style....and they are nearly impossible to find here. You have 15 different brands of roll ons, and a few aerosols, but the only solid stick I have come across is by Nivea. It's very small and does not last long..about 150bht.

Just to make the topic a bit more interesting; do you shave under your arms?

I don’t and for this reason I never liked the solid stick which seems to glue all the hairs together . Plus there’s always some hairs

left on the stick and they’re a pain to remove.

Ok unlike cake I don’t share my stick and a few leftover hairs ain’t that gross because they’re my own but still I prefer the roll on.

I guess, but half a days wages for a thai on minimum wage sounds like a big expense to me... if I was on UK minimum wages, 1 can would be £22 at half days pay on minimum pay - but you can actually get 2 cans from poundland for.... well.... £1

Ok, so is the thai wage 10 baht per day ?

they use powder btw, such as prickly heat,

i think that prickly heat is best used on my otherwise sticky & itchy balls

I dont think Big C lets you buy it on installments of 5b a day, but i'll check next time I am in

• Like 1

I buy a bunch when I'm back in states. Shave cream as well.

Still have 3-4 sticks.

Same here every time I go overseas I stock up in the duty free got 2 sticks left plus the one im still using costs $25 nz over here costs $50+

Deodorant is more expensive here than anywhere else in the world - in my own personal experience. I like the Nivea Silver Protect. About 100 THB. One bottle lasts 2-3 weeks.

Er you sure ?...a quick on line search will reveal you named brand in the 2.49 quid, which is at todays exchange rate is THB 112...therefore its cheaper in Thailand

As to other named brands your are running from 2.50 quid to around 7.50 quid....(THB 340)

The OP is trying to compare a no-name own brand (Tesco's) with named brands...whistling.gif

A quick search will reveal prices in Thailand are pretty much on par with the UK..rolleyes.gif

7-11.

Deodorant, tooth paste, soap etc.

How about every item a western person or family might use in their everyday life.

The baht has appreciated and yet the prices continue to rise.

The local supermarkets e.g. Rimping here in CM have been engaged in price gouging for a long time. Doesn't matter if the item is made locally in the city the price of some items have gone up by 40%

It's called "greed, greed, greed"

Edited by johnlandy
  • Like 1

Although it is easy to find a product labeled "anti perspirant" it's a bit harder to find "deodorant"

I don't think it's healthy to stop perspiration.

Nivea offers both so I figure the deoderant is just deoderant.

But if a brand only sells deoderant, i wonder if it is really anti perspirant.

• Like 1

My Thai GF introduced me to dusting my armpits with powder.......I work all day in a non-aircon environment as an english teacher...so the work is not backbreaking and the sweat isn't exactly pouring off me but I am sweating nonetheless - and no sweaty odour at the end of the day.

The powder works a treat and is cheap to buy.

The roll on deo's are expensive for sure...I also found they eventually ruin the fabric of your shirts in the underarm area by leaving an unremovable yellow stain (although I see Nivea have bought out a RO Deo that claims not to do this)

Alternatively in most 711's...and all thai pharmacies/drug stores there is a small deo cost 40b-50b that will last you 6 months...the thais use it....

It's brand name is YOU and I stick....it is made of crystals...plus tumeric and carambola...it is odourless....non sticky

Sorry, but I do recommend Nivea. I only use it when I go out at night, which isn't much. However, and I find this unusual for Thailand, this brand is far better at controlling odor than any other brand I've ever used in the US. I'm sure it's sold in the US, but I never use it before coming here. Pay the 150 baht and use it sparingly. You don't need much for it to work and work well.

I also have various hard to find products brought to me from the US by a friend, but if I can find an acceptable substitute here then I buy it here. This less he has to bring me the better off I am.

"i think that prickly heat is best used on my otherwise sticky & itchy balls"

If you're talking about something like Snake Brand prickly heat powder, you have to be kidding. That would be like applying a healthy dollop of Tiger Balm. You'd definitely be stepping lively for a few minutes. Better to use one of the baby powders unless you need an antifungal.

I use Nivea Men Ocean Extracts deodorant. It's labeled 48h, which I assume is meant to be 48 hours, but that seems overly optimistic, especially since one is likely to have at least 2 to 4 showers in a 48 hour period. Not sure how long a spray can lasts. I think a full month would be a stretch. I avoid antiperspirant because it irritates my skin.

Just to be technical here, I find that there is a notable distinction in comparing deodorant vs. antiperspirant.

Antiperspirant is what really works well in super-mega-over-the-top-hot climates like those in and around Thailand/SEA. Deodorant is more suitable for more moderate climates where people perspire less.

Of course, you can get both in one product.

Just make sure you let the antiperspirant dry fully before you rock and roll.

"i think that prickly heat is best used on my otherwise sticky & itchy balls"

If you're talking about something like Snake Brand prickly heat powder, you have to be kidding. That would be like applying a healthy dollop of Tiger Balm. You'd definitely be stepping lively for a few minutes. Better to use one of the baby powders unless you need an antifungal.

I use Nivea Men Ocean Extracts deodorant. It's labeled 48h, which I assume is meant to be 48 hours, but that seems overly optimistic, especially since one is likely to have at least 2 to 4 showers in a 48 hour period. Not sure how long a spray can lasts. I think a full month would be a stretch. I avoid antiperspirant because it irritates my skin.

Plus there is some controversy and debate around Talc-containing powders and the incidence of cancers...

Powder only works for a brief time and if you take several showers per day and reapply.

Otherwise, you just end up with clumps of stuff falling out of your pants leg with hairs all wrapped up in them.

Make your own and don't stuff it full of petro chems.

Excellent advice, however a spot of soap and water is all you really need.

Best not to stop those pores from sweating out those nasty carcinogens.

I have read that it's the worst thing to apply before bed, the lymph nodes get bombarded with the toxins and cancer can follow. Give it a Google and make up your own mind.

• Like 2