Samui Incinerator.

I stumbled on a channel 7 report about an uproar by local villagers about the fact that the incinerator was broken and that the local authorities were now using the surrounding area to just dump the intended waste in the valley opposite the site.

Not sure if I am allowed to post the link, if I can I will.

I took a drive up there ( just behind Samui Prison and Court) and sure enough it looked pretty much like the valley was 100 odd feet high and wide with black bin liners.

Does anyone live near there and can confirm that the trash trucks are dumping there regularly, and I wonder what impact the smell and water run off would have if you lived downhill or downwind of this?

I understand the need for landfill but I am sure that a highly elevated valley located above residential areas must not be a location that is either safe or desirable.

• Like 1

I seem to remember Rooo, saying it had broken down a year or two or three, back.... never did hear if they fixed it.... It would pretty smelly for sure... not to mention the run off! bah.gif

Anyone ever seen smoke coming from the chimney?

Edited by samuijimmy

I seem to remember Rooo, saying it had broken down a year or two or three, back.... never did hear if they fixed it.... It would pretty smelly for sure... not to mention the run off! bah.gif

Anyone ever seen smoke coming from the chimney?

It's supposed to be smokeless. It is now, it's not working.

maybe they are recyling land with our rubbish and rebuilding the mountains that have been illegally cut down. it would make sense if it was possible but i dont think it is maybe wake some cement over it all then put some chemicalls inside the runnish to kill infectious stuff it might work. an evil genious could make it with enough money and power.

well that would not be evil just genious

maybe they are recyling land with our rubbish and rebuilding the mountains that have been illegally cut down. it would make sense if it was possible but i dont think it is maybe wake some cement over it all then put some chemicalls inside the runnish to kill infectious stuff it might work. an evil genious could make it with enough money and power.

What have you been smoking or drinking today BigC.... ? Two or is it three posts that make less sense than usual .... 555 blink.png

• Like 1

i hope this does not reach my mate in Bangkok who is constantly taking the piss saying the words quote" well thats what happens when u live on a tropical island " grrrrrrr

It is a double edged tragedy as it seems the incinerator was procured on the cheap and budgeted funds siphoned away, then a company who won the contract to operate paid to much for the license and has gone bankrupt, hence the breakdown as no one wants to pay for repairs. ( seems there is a 20 year operating contract.)

In the mean time the rubbish is no being dumped in the valley around the site, which it seems has affected the flow of water from the nearby mountain. The run off, full of toxins is polluting all the klongs, streams in the area. These steams eventually run into the sea, and also in rainy times flow into wells and other sources of human water.

All in all thoroughly unsatisfactory.

Everyone complains about the garbage problem on the island.

How many of you pay the government fee to fix it?

Sorry - this is an old rant of mine. I pay almost 1,000 baht a month because I think that this is important. How much do others pay?

Collecting garbage on Samui is not free. But most of my neighbours pay nowt and they live in big villas worth tens to hundreds of millions of baht!!

Cheapskates or what?

I agree i pay i think 300 baht for each house i should really charge this to my customers. Then allot of neibour just through their rubbish in my bins. i dont want to emmploy a security guard also to protect my bins that job would just bbe rubbish and would stink

• Like 1

I am sure that you are correct Big C. They have built houses on the (toxic) land-fill near the departures road to the airport. AND they are advertising them as 'green' and ecologically friendly!

• Like 2

It is a double edged tragedy as it seems the incinerator was procured on the cheap and budgeted funds siphoned away, then a company who won the contract to operate paid to much for the license and has gone bankrupt, hence the breakdown as no one wants to pay for repairs. ( seems there is a 20 year operating contract.)

In the mean time the rubbish is no being dumped in the valley around the site, which it seems has affected the flow of water from the nearby mountain. The run off, full of toxins is polluting all the klongs, streams in the area. These steams eventually run into the sea, and also in rainy times flow into wells and other sources of human water.

Sorry - this is an old rant of mine. I pay almost 1,000 baht a month because I think that this is important. How much do others pay?

Collecting garbage on Samui is not free. But most of my neighbours pay nowt and they live in big villas worth tens to hundreds of millions of baht!!

Cheapskates or what?

I agree i pay i think 300 baht for each house i should really charge this to my customers. Then allot of neibour just through their rubbish in my bins. i dont want to emmploy a security guard also to protect my bins that job would just bbe rubbish and would stink

Well done Big C. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

So that is two of us contributing to try and solve the garbage probems on the island. Any others out there?

Cheapskates or what?

So that is two of us contributing to try and solve the garbage probems on the island. Any others out there?

maybe people that through rubbish in my bins should be treated like rubbish lol

The main contributors to the trash are the hotels. The one I work at pays in excess of 40,000 baht a month for trash collection. I expect most pay as non collection would cause am embarrassing stench around the property.

Given the amount of resorts on the island, and assuming they all pay I would think someone is easily making thier payments on their new Mercedes, whilst dumping the waste in an area that is out of sight and mind for most.

Surprised that the issue hasn't been more widely reported.

• Like 1

The main contributors to the trash are the hotels. The one I work at pays in excess of 40,000 baht a month for trash collection. I expect most pay as non collection would cause am embarrassing stench around the property.

Given the amount of resorts on the island, and assuming they all pay I would think someone is easily making thier payments on their new Mercedes, whilst dumping the waste in an area that is out of sight and mind for most.

You obviously have not noticed yet that Samui is like The Village in The Prisoner series. ohmy.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Village_%28The_Prisoner%29

Nothing bad ever happens here, and no one really escapes. whistling.gif

• Like 1

@Trop #13

They have built houses on the (toxic) land-fill near the departures road to the airport. AND they are advertising them as 'green' and ecologically friendly!

Yes, but their "green" is as per "Peckham Spring" smile.png

(Non Brits will need to look it up as I am unable to post the correct link)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Cheapskates or what?

Yes, me, as and when they bother to come and collect it. (The money, not the rubbish) biggrin.png

I don't even have a bin, I have to take it to the main road for collection, but have no problem with this.

Ar least they collect (almost) daily here, not like back in the UK when they are making it only once every two weeks.

• Like 2

Yes, me, as and when they bother to come and collect it. (The money, not the rubbish) biggrin.png

I don't even have a bin, I have to take it to the main road for collection, but have no problem with this.

Ar least they collect (almost) daily here, not like back in the UK when they are making it only once every two weeks.

Well done Yorkie clap2.gif - it is a bit of a pain. blink.png

It took them a year to find my place to collect the money. sad.png

I have to drive about 2 klm to drop my garbage off. They cannot get up my little soi. I drop the garbage off at a temple. It's a pain - but at least the garbos collect every day and the acolytes (with some help from me) keep the area clean.wai.gif

For those who rent, I would think landlord of property should make sure there are bins and collection their responsibility .... mine sure does not...blink.png dumps everything and burns it... (burnable or not) sad.png as do most of the tenants around me (14 of them) .... w00t.gifbah.gif

I recycle every thing I can and separate out for first to come along and collect.... the rest I put in one of the bins down the road, which is emptied fairly frequently... at least of late... whistling.gif

• Like 1

Cheapskates or what?

neo colonials!

This was covered on either channel 3 or 7 I think it was about 2 months ago. I don't know how to back source this info but theye were saying it was contamination the ground water which was quite obvious.