Sexism Is Buried Deep In Our Daily Language

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Sexism is buried deep in our daily language

Pravit Rojanaphruk

BANGKOK: -- The past two weeks have been rather sobering for those who think Thailand has already risen above misogyny. It has not. People of both sides of the political divide have given us clear evidence, which, if looked at "positively", reminds us of the challenges that lie ahead.

It all began with Thai Rath newspaper political cartoonist Chai Rachawat, who posted a comment on his Facebook page that suggested Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is worse than a "whore" because she is selling Thailand out. Soon after, the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology (MICT) threatened to suspend any website that carries a lewd message against Yingluck.

That appeared to spur a second misogynistic remark, prompting a hacker to post a message on the PM's Office Ministry's official website that said: "I am a slutty moron" with a picture of a laughing Yingluck.

Opposition media appeared to take delight in expounding on and relaying the two sexist remarks. Some on the other side tried to protect Yingluck's reputation but were not helpful, however.

The premier's nephew, Panthongthae Shinawatra, tried to defend his aunt by demanding that Chai should apologise. Failing to apologise, he said Chai should just wear an airhostess's skirt instead.

This was followed by deputy spokesperson of the PM's Office Ministry Sunisa Lertpakawat, a woman, who last week criticised the anonymous hacker by saying the person should be "man" enough to criticise the premier in a creative manner.

However, you cannot defend women's honour by telling someone to act "like a man" or by telling a man to go and wear a woman's skirt.

And one couldn't help but wonder: if Yingluck were not a woman, would the premier be treated like this by some of her opponents?

This writer is for full criticism of Thailand's first woman prime minister. Nevertheless, you do not need to use sexist remarks to either criticise or defend her. Some cannot differentiate between criticising Yingluck and making misogynistic remarks about her, however.

To make the matter worse, most feminists simply kept silent because they chose to be on the opposite side of the political divide, thus helping to ensure that the latest orgy of sexist verbal abuse is unlikely to be the last.

Since the situation is most unlikely to improve anytime soon, Thai society should at least try to understand why a number of men and even women keep using sexist words and stereotypical remarks that perpetuate the notion that women are innately inferior and dishonourable.

Are some people perpetuating misogyny for fear of losing the culture of male domination?

Do they feel more "masculine" by talking down and looking down on women?

If that's the case, what kind of "men" are they?

This writer personally thinks the matter should not be left solely to feminists and women. People, both men and women, must become more active in helping reduce the level of sexism in Thai language and society.

Sexist speech is sometimes almost "automatic" and "natural". This writer does not think that Sunisa, for example, intended to reinforce the sense of male superiority over women by telling the hacker to "act like a man". Deep-rooted misogyny in our language is thus more insidious and difficult to address. It is embedded in the very foundation of our language and will require conscious efforts to transform Thai language into a more gender-sensitive tongue.

May I suggest that the Ministry of Culture or some universities conduct studies on sexism in the Thai language?

I do not believe that merely banning these words or expressions will work. Society needs to become more aware of the issue, however. It will require effort from men and women alike to change the mindset so no one in the future can proudly tells us to "act like a man" or "shame" us by telling us to wear a skirt.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-15

It's buried in the media as well. Check out those lovely soaps where women being slapped around and raped happens at least once in the series. seems like it would be easier to implement changes via the tv than some misunderstood cartoon.

"The premier's nephew, Panthongthae Shinawatra, tried to defend his aunt by demanding that Chai should apologise. Failing to apologise, he said Chai should just wear an airhostess's skirt instead."

You mean like this? I imagine this might excite Panthongtae.

post-9891-0-66952100-1368579462_thumb.jp

This is rambling nonsense.

I disagree. The message is very clear. Sexism is alive and well in Thailand (and on this forum).

Not understanding, or disagreeing, with the message is no excuse to label it 'rambling nonsense'.

Rambling piffle?

I'll be honest and say that he summed it up perfectly.

I disagree. The message is very clear. Sexism is alive and well in Thailand (and on this forum).

Not understanding, or disagreeing, with the message is no excuse to label it 'rambling nonsense'.

Rambling piffle?

Ok, as long as you're being 'honest'... jerk.gif

• Like 1

Frankly it's also meaningless - "our daily language" happens to be Thai, but there isn't a single example of Thai language sexism printed here - how very Thai!

beetle_bailey_gen_amos_t_halftrack_zps41

Reporter: "What are your views on women's rights, General?"
Gen. Halftrack: "I think women's rights are more important than their lefts because most women are right-handed."
Reporter (under her breath): "Wait till this quote hits the papers, buster."

Every society has angry men who use women as their scapegoats. But, it's a healthy start when a society, like Thailand, can have open discussions about sexism and misogny. Especially when seclusion, veiling, and clitoridectomy are still accepted in other societies.

Rambling piffle?

Ok, as long as you're being 'honest'... jerk.gif

Great! Well as long as you're 'ok'

Long live the keyboard warrior....clap, clap, clap?

Agree. Western feminism in all its PC grandeur, arriving on Thailand's shores. Honestly, what Yingluck is getting is nothing compared to what, say, Obama gets from the US right-wing on a daily basis. It's politics, nothing to do with women's rights.

• Like 1

Agree. Western feminism in all its PC grandeur, arriving on Thailand's shores. Honestly, what Yingluck is getting is nothing compared to what, say, Obama gets from the US right-wing on a daily basis. It's politics, nothing to do with women's rights.

So sexism is ok in politics. But, western feminism isn't. blink.png

• Like 1

Every society has angry men who use women as their scapegoats. But, it's a healthy start when a society, like Thailand, can have open discussions about sexism and misogny. Especially when seclusion, veiling, and clitoridectomy are still accepted in other societies.

And your view of utopia is not necessarily the right or only viewpoint.

Always supported equality and diversity, but not the political correctness which now seems to pervade so much social exchange.

If you support diversity then you have to respect the views and opinions of other societies. Not demand they conform to your worldviews.

Edited by Baerboxer

So sexism is ok in politics. But, western feminism isn't. blink.png

I don't think sexism has a place in politics. Criticize the PM for performance is fine. No need to make personal insults, sexist or otherwise.

I've no problem with equality - but not the "positve discrimination" which some western feminists seem to advocate unceasingly.

Ensuring all have equal chances, in a just society, where laws are impartially enforced would be a much better start. And Thailand, like many other countries has a long way to go here.

Sexism is real in Thailand and Australia where there are female PMs. It is not a Thai thing but a male thing. Not all males mind. Criticise their performance for sure, avoid age old put downs that are directed only at and appropriate only for women.

Whilst I agree with much of the OP I do think it's rambling nonsense in the way it's written. It's hard to read as it doesn't seem to be well written.

There will always be some sexism in both directions but it's not helpful to get too uptight about it. The intentions behind sexist remarks are more important than the remarks themselves and this applies to racism as well. Men and women are different and if light hearted remarks are treated as such there shouldn't be a problem.

With regards to Yingluck and the cartoon a lot of the complaints were based on statements that were non existent which were supposed to claim the PM was a prostitute. The real message behind the cartoon was a comparison between two activities; a woman selling her body and the PM selling her country. I'm not sure I would have said she was selling the country even though I don't like her or her party. Would the cartoon have worked if the PM was a man? I doubt it but that's just because prostitutes are generally women and you can't blame Chai for that.

Of more importance is the attitude to women in real life and I don't just mean their looks. When I see a woman in the street or in a shop I see her in a way I wouldn't if it were a man. There's nothing wrong in that and it's normal for heterosexual men. Women and gays differ in the way you would expect. Apart from an unavoidable preference for a good looking woman over a man or a less attractive woman I would expect myself to take no account of gender. The slight leaning towards more attractive people is unfortunately a psychological fact which is less of a problem if you are aware of it.

There will be some who won't accept that a woman can be a successful PM but as well as criticising them maybe we should look at why Yingluck was chosen. When you consider how many experienced politicians there are in the PTP (some of them women) you have to ask why the decision was made to choose someone with no political experience or apparently desire to gain that experience? If Yingluck had been a man or basically unattractive would she be were she is now?

Another area where women seem to be considered below men is in Buddhism. You can't have missed the fact that monks are entirely male and given the extent to which Buddhism is part of Thai life it doesn't bode well for the position of women in Thai society. As far as I'm aware there's nothing in the alledged teachings of Buddha to support this. Long ago men were the dominant sex so this could explain this imbalance at that time but there is no reason to continue in the same way now and as far as I know changing that which is no longer seen as right and proper is part of Buddhism.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with much of the OP I do think it's rambling nonsense in the way it's written. It's hard to read as it doesn't seem to be well written.

There will always be some sexism in both directions but it's not helpful to get too uptight about it. The intentions behind sexist remarks are more important than the remarks themselves and this applies to racism as well. Men and women are different and if light hearted remarks are treated as such there shouldn't be a problem.

With regards to Yingluck and the cartoon a lot of the complaints were based on statements that were non existent which were supposed to claim the PM was a prostitute. The real message behind the cartoon was a comparison between two activities; a woman selling her body and the PM selling her country. I'm not sure I would have said she was selling the country even though I don't like her or her party. Would the cartoon have worked if the PM was a man? I doubt it but that's just because prostitutes are generally women and you can't blame Chai for that.

Of more importance is the attitude to women in real life and I don't just mean their looks. When I see a woman in the street or in a shop I see her in a way I wouldn't if it were a man. There's nothing wrong in that and it's normal for heterosexual men. Women and gays differ in the way you would expect. Apart from an unavoidable preference for a good looking woman over a man or a less attractive woman I would expect myself to take no account of gender. The slight leaning towards more attractive people is unfortunately a psychological fact which is less of a problem if you are aware of it.

There will be some who won't accept that a woman can be a successful PM but as well as criticising them maybe we should look at why Yingluck was chosen. When you consider how many experienced politicians there are in the PTP (some of them women) you have to ask why the decision was made to choose someone with no political experience or apparently desire to gain that experience? If Yingluck had been a man or basically unattractive would she be were she is now?

Another area where women seem to be considered below men is in Buddhism. You can't have missed the fact that monks are entirely male and given the extent to which Buddhism is part of Thai life it doesn't bode well for the position of women in Thai society. As far as I'm aware there's nothing in the alledged teachings of Buddha to support this. Long ago men were the dominant sex so this could explain this imbalance at that time but there is no reason to continue in the same way now and as far as I know changing that which is no longer seen as right and proper is part of Buddhism.

Is there a Rambling Competition between you and the OP editorial? If so, you win!

If one thinks the PM is selling the country out and one wishes to use a prostitution analogy to criticize her action, then the correct epithet to use would be "pimp," because she's accused of selling the country, not herself. That the critic chose "whore" indicates an unthinking sexist attitude because the PM is a woman.

T

Is there a Rambling Competition between you and the OP editorial? If so, you win!

If one thinks the PM is selling the country out and one wishes to use a prostitution analogy to criticize her action, then the correct epithet to use would be "pimp," because she's accused of selling the country, not herself. That the critic chose "whore" indicates an unthinking sexist attitude because the PM is a woman.

T

A nice try but a prostitute can sell herself without using a pimp but since she wasn't called a whore or prostitute your comment is rather pointless.

Edited by kimamey