Phuket Taxi Meter Cheats Under Fire

webfact

How cute they are. Meters have been completly banned for months now. The very polite ladies at the "taxi meter" booth are berating any potential customer who dares inquire about meter usage.

I guess they were getting fed up seeing the "limo" drivers do the exact same job in the exact same cars and make twice as much.

What exactly do they say to the customer if I was to enquire about use of the meter? Just curious.

"no meter here, if you not happy go walk to your hotel"

What a bunch of hogwash. More than half the "taxi" drivers in Phuket are unlicensed and completely unregulated (I underlined 'unregulated' because it needs to be pointed out that, even if they were "regulated", the corruption situation in Thailand is such that this characterization would largely be rendered meaningless).

Today the girls at the counter refused to give a metered ride ticket. Went back inside the airport, asked for help from a police officer at the post near airport information counter. He came with me and talked with the girls, finally I've got the metered ride, 420 baht total instead of 600 quoted. It's not about the money, it's about principles...