Samsung Galaxy S2 Software Updates/upgrades?

So if I flash the phone with another countries release I will be OK?

Not sure what OK means, exactly. Or what it is you are trying to do, exactly.

I already said that your phone will work fine in any country with the current firmware? You do not have to do anything.

Perhaps adding the caveat of service coverage confused you, and I should have just omitted that detail?

• 2 weeks later...

Today, the long awaited update showed up. Samsung Galaxy SII to 4.1.2. Did the routine, got the new and zoomy screens and interface. Looking great, and didn't seem to lose any contacts or data. Whew.

But now my GPS won't pick up locations. Stood at the top of the Golden Mount and let it search for about 20 minutes and got zip, zero, zing. All over Chinatown, where I always got locations before- nothing.

In fact, the general location (cell based, I think?) had me 20 miles west of Bangkok at first, then slowly walked me closer and closer, but never got the circle smaller than a km or 2. I'd have been SOL if I were counting on the GPS today.

Tried it both with Google Maps and Orux Navigator, same result- nada. Turned the GPS on and off several times, with no success.

Anyone else?

Edited by impulse

I just updated my wife's SGS2. First I tried OTA, no new SW. But then with Kies it fund it, worked nicely. The phone had build IML74K.DXLPB before. I was just going to write that it works fine but saw it had shut itself off! But all SMS etc seems to have been preserved.

But now my GPS won't pick up locations.

Turn off the phone, remove the battery and SIM, put both back in, re-start the phone. Go to Settings, Location access, make sure Access to my location is ON, and tick GPS satellites and Wi-Fi & mobile network location.

Make sure all apps are up to date.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

lomatopo, I figured your next steps were going to be "now turn around 3 times to your left, then 2 times to your right, and put your left foot in..."

But I did what you suggested and it worked, getting a fix in less than 30 seconds.

Thanks!

I want to thank everyone for all the helpful replies. Yesterday I took my phone to the Samsung Service Center in Sukumvit Road in Pattaya. I explained I wanted the new download(Jelly bean) and they warned me I needed to back up my phone via the computer as most Apps, photo's , contacts etc would be lost. They also upgraded my "old version ".

I had done the back up already and there and then took them about 15 minutes to do the upgrade and download .Charged me 214 baht. I had recently purchased another Samsung device and they did the upgrade/download for that one too and there was no charge. That took another 15 minutes.

And my impression: good service!

Just a post to thank the posters that advised an update to Android was now available for the SII. I had given up hope considering the update is almost 7 months late and was waiting on the Note III release (unveil is in London on Thursday).

It's like having a new phone and it is now the same version as on my tablet!

Where's lomatopo? He solved my last problem...

My SGII is now chewing though its battery, and down to 30% by lunch. Betterbatterystats was indicating 2-3% per hour before the update, but now I'm figuring 8-12% per hour.

Since my factory reset and reloading my apps from the Store, Betterbatterystats won't even work. It's indicating the unit is plugged in even when it's showing 30% battery charge remaining. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and still get no luv.

I did the factory reset deal, took out the battery and reinstalled, etc. I cleaned the lint from the micro-usb socket (not much at all and not moist or green, either), and generally did everything I can think of without having any indication of what's chewing on the battery.

I'm not really wanting to trade up from a phone that I like and mostly works fine, especially since I'm reading horror stories about the same (or worse) battery problems on the SG3 and SG4.

What other avenues should I try? Is this possibly a problem with battery calibration instead of battery drain?

Or is this God's way of telling me to buy that Sony Experia Z that's waterproof and shockproof?

Edit: I don't use Google Now, or at least I did my best to disable it. And it's not on my list of running Apps, unless it's disguised as something else. I also disabled location services and GPS, but I have to keep wifi running for business reasons.

Edited by impulse

• 9 months later...

My SGII is now chewing though its battery, and down to 30% by lunch. Betterbatterystats was indicating 2-3% per hour before the update, but now I'm figuring 8-12% per hour.

Since my factory reset and reloading my apps from the Store, Betterbatterystats won't even work. It's indicating the unit is plugged in even when it's showing 30% battery charge remaining. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and still get no luv.

I did the factory reset deal, took out the battery and reinstalled, etc. I cleaned the lint from the micro-usb socket (not much at all and not moist or green, either), and generally did everything I can think of without having any indication of what's chewing on the battery.

I'm not really wanting to trade up from a phone that I like and mostly works fine, especially since I'm reading horror stories about the same (or worse) battery problems on the SG3 and SG4.

What other avenues should I try? Is this possibly a problem with battery calibration instead of battery drain?

Or is this God's way of telling me to buy that Sony Experia Z that's waterproof and shockproof?

Edit: I don't use Google Now, or at least I did my best to disable it. And it's not on my list of running Apps, unless it's disguised as something else. I also disabled location services and GPS, but I have to keep wifi running for business reasons.

Sorry guys, I know this is an old thread, but Mr Impulse, did you find a solution? I have the same problem after the JB update. Did factory reset, even bought new battery, disabled google now (and etc etc etc as suggested by the 5 million pages on the internet devoted to this issue) but the problem persists.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Samsung told me I was the only one who has this problem (I resisted reaching across the counter to strangle the "service" staff). They reinstalled JB, did the factory reset, made me buy a new battery...but finally, they said I had better to buy the s3 (one could only smile politely whilst thinking what a waste of space the "service center" is).

Oh, I have also done the full charge and discharge cycles over 5 times now, and that did not fix the problem!

Strangely enough, there are also other s2 sets (owned by friends here and overseas) which behave properly, so it seems to affect some s2 sets only.

Sorry guys, I know this is an old thread, but Mr Impulse, did you find a solution? I have the same problem after the JB update. Did factory reset, even bought new battery, disabled google now (and etc etc etc as suggested by the 5 million pages on the internet devoted to this issue) but the problem persists.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Samsung told me I was the only one who has this problem (I resisted reaching across the counter to strangle the "service" staff). They reinstalled JB, did the factory reset, made me buy a new battery...but finally, they said I had better to buy the s3 (one could only smile politely whilst thinking what a waste of space the "service center" is).

Oh, I have also done the full charge and discharge cycles over 5 times now, and that did not fix the problem!

Strangely enough, there are also other s2 sets (owned by friends here and overseas) which behave properly, so it seems to affect some s2 sets only.

Is it showing that it's plugged in and charging when it's not plugged in? My, now retured S2 did that and the battery would drain real quick (didn't happen right after the update though), I figured the USB port was dirty (from the sweat, which has salt in it, which is bad for electronics). Took the phone apart and removed the PCB to which the USB port was attached, soaked it in a fresh water, used toothbrush and other tiny gadgets to clean inside the port the best I could, wiped it dry and then let it dry completely before assembling the phone back. Problem was gone and never reappeared while I owned it, since then I sold it my my wife's cousin who's still using it to this day successfully with no issues.

Is it showing that it's plugged in and charging when it's not plugged in? My, now retured S2 did that and the battery would drain real quick (didn't happen right after the update though), I figured the USB port was dirty (from the sweat, which has salt in it, which is bad for electronics). Took the phone apart and removed the PCB to which the USB port was attached, soaked it in a fresh water, used toothbrush and other tiny gadgets to clean inside the port the best I could, wiped it dry and then let it dry completely before assembling the phone back. Problem was gone and never reappeared while I owned it, since then I sold it my my wife's cousin who's still using it to this day successfully with no issues.

N, it is NOT showing that it's plugged in when it is not plugged in. Everything is fine until I enable wifi or mobile data, then the heating and battery drain occurs. However I wil try the USB suggestion, because Impulse also suggested similar in a PM to me. Give me a few days to report back!

Thanks guys!

I have owned a Samsung Galaxy S2 for a while now,I have had "continuous problems " with it from Day 1. (Samsung service centre in Pattaya are excellent and honest).The list is endless of problems with this model phone. " overheating,randomly switching itself off,battery constantly losing charge.slow internet speed,phone freezes up several times in a day.The only good things with this phone are " excellent camera " & excellent call quality - The rest of the phone is " completely unreliable " Samsung really needs to get there act together because it comes as " no surprise " that " Huawei " is starting to take a " huge share of the mobile market offering high spec phones that are far more reliable and much cheaper!!

Sorry about your luck, sounds like you got a lemon. My experience with my S2 was complete opposite from your. The only thing I didn't like was a poor battery life.

Are you comparing Huawei to your S2? Sorry I haven't really researched Huawei phones, which of their high spec phone you're comparing to which Samsung model?

Regarding reliability, I'm on my 2nd Samsung phone with no issues, my wife got the same Note 3 as I have now and no issues whatsoever, my younger brother with his wife got Samsung phones as well as my older brother. Many of my friends got Samsung phones and nobody complains. The reliability concerns you're talking about seem to be isolated cases, not a general statement. Samsung is a leader of the Android phone market for a reason, I'm too lazy to search what that "huge" market share of the Huawei phones is, but somehow I think it's not really that huge.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

Last week, my S2 started eating the battery at 45% per hour. Sunday it was fine, Monday- it was a wreck. Have no clue what went wrong.

I did a backup and factory reset and now it's back to 3-5% per hour.

If that didn't work, my next step would have been to replace the USB socket- which has worked twice in the past when sweat, pocket lint and salt water corroded the connectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: the usb suggestion did not work for me, so I had to research some more. Finally stumbled on something called ms exchange services. In my case, I deleted that (nothing to lose, already factory reset umpteen times to no avail in resolving my problem) and all has been well. I am fortunate I guess...I managed to solve my problem no thanks to Samsung. I am no I.t. expert and I suggest you check if deleting ms exchange is appropriate for you situation. I googled my problem and this was one of the suggestions and it worked for me! No more battery drain nor overheating.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Not sure what the battery life is on these phones but I am guessing 9 months. ATT told me a hot battery is a sign of end of life. They gave me a new one free.

Post 42 sounds like a lemon phone.

Edited by snarky66

I've brought my S2 battery back from death's door a couple of times with factory resets, and replacing the USB socket.

Doggie8888's suggestion is a good one. Last time, it was Exchange service that was eating the battery life (BetterBatteryStats). Unfortunately, my company uses it for emails so I have to live with it. Good news is that a backup and factory reset seems to have set it back to right. Bad news- that means a lot of time to get the phone back the way I had it set up.

Each time the battery life went down, the battery heated up. In fact, that was the first noticeable symptom- then I went on to check the battery stats to confirm something wrong. Never did replace the battery and it's still ticking along fine after 2 years- (though it is probably time). But I wouldn't automatically replace the battery when it heats up. That could just be an indication that the phone is eating power, not that the battery needs replacing.