Samsung Galaxy S2 Software Updates/upgrades?

There are fifty or so different country/carrier specific releases for the I9100/I9100T. Some are still on 2.3.X, most are on 4.0.4, and a few are on 4.1.2.

Where (country) did you buy your I9100T? What Android version and Baseband are you currently running? Is the phone working satisfactorily for you now?

Some I9100T's do have 4.1.2 available, but maybe not yours? You could download 4.1.2, say a generic for NZ and flash using ODIN. (You could actually flash any I9100 version IME.)

Can you ask your acquaintance exactly which Android version and Baseband version he currently is running? Settings, About phone, where you will find both.

-thank you for your detailed reply.

Where (country) did you buy your I9100T? What Android version and Baseband are you currently running? Is the phone working satisfactorily for you now?

-Purchased my phone and use it in Thailand. Android version = 4.0.3 Baseband version = I9100TDCLP4.

-Yes my phone works in a satisfactory way.

I will ask my acquaintance what versions he is running by sending him this exchange.

Cheers!

message to lomatopo: my acquaintance's Samsung details are:

Model number: GT-19100
Android Version: 4.1.2
Baseband Version: 19100xxms2
And if I follow correctly what kotsak says(thanks to all who have replied) I will get this jelly bean download in due course.

FWIW, your friend appears to have an I9100. Where did he buy his SGS2?

The I9100 and I9100T are pretty much the exact same hardware, but the 9100T has some 850 MHz baseband software 'tuning' for Telstra, so this model is marketed here for DTAC and TrueMove H as well.

Net, net: you may have to wait a long, long time for Samsung Thailand to localize a new version for your phone model/type. The pending version is likely just for the I9100. In the meantime you could download any other 4.1.2 stock ROM from sammobile or samfirmware and flash it with ODIN. It is very easy to do.

I sold my SGS2 (I9100/THL) on consignment last week and flashed a 4.0.4/THL stock ROM to it - I had some 4.2.2 custom ROMs on it - and it worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/23/samsung-rolls-out-android-4-1-2-jelly-bean-update-to-the-galaxy-s-ii/

Says in this link the jelly bean download is pending for Thailand. So I guess that is the answer. Thanks all who bothered to reply esp Kotsak.

Update: I got a message just now that jelly bean is available now. I am in Pattaya. Going out soon, so will try to update tomorrow via kies

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/23/samsung-rolls-out-android-4-1-2-jelly-bean-update-to-the-galaxy-s-ii/

Says in this link the jelly bean download is pending for Thailand. So I guess that is the answer. Thanks all who bothered to reply esp Kotsak.

Update: I got a message just now that jelly bean is available now. I am in Pattaya. Going out soon, so will try to update tomorrow via kies

Just checked this morning via Kies.. No update for my SII. wub.png

BTW, did you buy yours in Thailand?

Edited by kotsak

Yes, I bought mine in Pattaya. I still have not done it yet but plan to do the software upgrade later today, thereafter will post here.

Can you dial *#1234# and tell me what your CSC code is? There are two variants for Thailand, maybe yours is for True (THL)?

Edited by kotsak

Yes, I bought mine in Pattaya. I still have not done it yet but plan to do the software upgrade later today, thereafter will post here.

Can you dial *#1234# and tell me what your CSC code is?  There are two variants for Thailand, maybe yours is for True (THL)?

I9100tthllp5

The detailed software upgrade message that I got over the air did mention that the upgrade relates to jelly bean, so I am not imagining it. However...having difficulties upgrading.

Tried over the air, but it falied with a message that I should try with KIES or go to Samsung shop. Tried via KIES: the moment I connected the S2, it said there was a "firmware" upgrade, which I assume is same same? Anyway that failed too "unknown error". Quick research: due the the many apps, config etc etc etc, there may be incompatibility, so they suggest a factory reset prior to the upgrade. I am not keen on that for the moment, so I'll just wait for now.

I wonder if anyone else has received the update notice and successfully upgraded?

The detailed software upgrade message that I got over the air did mention that the upgrade relates to jelly bean, so I am not imagining it. However...having difficulties upgrading.

Tried over the air, but it falied with a message that I should try with KIES or go to Samsung shop. Tried via KIES: the moment I connected the S2, it said there was a "firmware" upgrade, which I assume is same same? Anyway that failed too "unknown error". Quick research: due the the many apps, config etc etc etc, there may be incompatibility, so they suggest a factory reset prior to the upgrade. I am not keen on that for the moment, so I'll just wait for now.

I wonder if anyone else has received the update notice and successfully upgraded?

Based on your reply in post #16, it appears as though you have an I9100T/THL.

Hence there is a new 4.1.2 version available for your version (I9100T) for the country of Thailand (THL).

As of today it does not look like there is a 4.1.2 version for the I9100/THL, but sites like SamMobile could be a few days behind OTA and KiES notifications.

This upgrade has probably just been made available so servers are overloaded - some people have reported having to try more than 100 times to get the download.

I always recommend downloading updates to a PC then flashing via ODIN as this is the safest method - that's how they would do it in a Samsung facility for example. Over-the-Air (OTA) and KiES are more prone to problems.

• Like 2

I hate KIES with a passion. It has never worked for me. Not on my computer, other laptop. Never. Not on SGS2, SGS1 nor the Ace.

I just download whatever rom I want, and if it is not rooted, I load with mobile odin in order to burn and root. KIES is horribly done.

Hopefully there will be an update for the OLB version soon.. rolleyes.gif

Which Android version are you currently running?

Where did you buy this phone?

I can't find a release for OLB (Open Asia?). You might end up waiting forever, or just flash pretty much any other 4.1.2 stock ROM.

-well if its any consolation I am having the same problem as you. The download on the phone works but then after my phone reboots etc I get a failed message. I tried with KIES and when it seems to be working I get the same "unknown error".

As mentioned above I have GT-19100T and my Android Version is 4.0.3.

So anyone got any idea what I should do namely:

1. nothing and wait to see what happens or

2 go to the Samsung shop

3. something else?

Thanks.

Edited by zombie nights

Hopefully there will be an update for the OLB version soon.. rolleyes.gif

Which Android version are you currently running?

Where did you buy this phone?

I can't find a release for OLB (Open Asia?). You might end up waiting forever, or just flash pretty much any other 4.1.2 stock ROM.

I'm running ICS 4.0.4, got all past updates via KIES.. I bought mine here in Thailand at a Samsung Shop. The salesperson asked me in advance if I will be using the phone on AIS or TRUE/DTAC network and I chose AIS.

I just purchased the Galaxy Ace 2

and when I connected with Kies it did some minor upgrades

but it is still on Gingerbread.

I do not understand why there have to be so many variations

expect of the obvious one of display language.

Does this mean my phone may not work overseas, when I am roaming

because I do not have the local sw version??

I do not understand why there have to be so many variations expect of the obvious one of display language.

This is a complex issue but most countries have their own regulatory (consumer, electrical, safety, radio, etc.) requirements which often dictate country-specific firmware, and local subsidiaries typically manage this along with any local docs, pubs, to create a SKU. Additionally, service providers - and many SGS2 releases are service-provider specific but not here in Thailand exactly - like to create their own custom firmware. SO one has to wait until the sub. or providers has localized the new software and released it. Net net, the I9100 and I9100T hardware can accept any 4.1.2 ROM.

Does this mean my phone may not work overseas, when I am roaming because I do not have the local sw version??

No. Your phone will work assuming you have the appropriate network coverage, a SIM and some sort of subscription or pre-paid balance.

I chose AIS

This likely means you have an I9100 and as you received updates previously via KiES then you may receive a 4.1.2 update when it is released here.

Edited by lomatopo