Solar Panel Home Electricity

connda

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the cheapness of thai electricity why would solar be better? Also there are no feed in tarrifs so there is no real gain from solar in thailand .This coming from an aussie who has solar in my house in sydney.The only solar ive seen here are the cheap chinese brands that i wouldnt touch with a barge pole.

There was a company near Phuket offering systems for around THB500,000 that were inadequate for any sizeable property. Sorry, I have forgotten the name but you might find it through Google.

I see no point in using solar power here. Mains electricity is cheap and you don't have to change batteries every few years.

I'm thinking more along the lines of what if we go off grid for an extended period of time. What self-contained, electrical generating solutions are available. By "self-contained" I mean systems that do not rely on things like fossil fuels.

• Like 1

With the cheapness of thai electricity why would solar be better? Also there are no feed in tarrifs so there is no real gain from solar in thailand .This coming from an aussie who has solar in my house in sydney.The only solar ive seen here are the cheap chinese brands that i wouldnt touch with a barge pole.

That was initially also my opinion, but there was recently a thread on this forum regarding solar energy, and there were some posters who claimed that there was a feed in tariif in Thailand and that they were making use of it.

For all honesty, several requests of mambers to post some links or information where to apply for this, are still unanswered for by those same posters.

I'm thinking more along the lines of what if we go off grid for an extended period of time. What self-contained, electrical generating solutions are available. By "self-contained" I mean systems that do not rely on things like fossil fuels.

Do you use a petrol or diesel powered vehicle? For a back-up during down time, a diesel generator is probably the best bet. For what you want, it won't do much damage to the atmosphere, especially compared with natural warming.

I don't know if you know but in europe they almost all exclusively use chinese brands because of the price quality. Now they want to tax it in the EU and the people installing it are up in arms as its going to cost jobs. But the European producers like it as they will stand to win. But the installers don't like it as the european brands are not that much better to justify the higher price.

So the Chinese stuff is not that bad.

Not sure solar will be included, but there is a big machinery trade show going on at BITEC for the next few days, through May 19.

I think I recall an entire section on solar panels at this trade show last year, but that may have been a different show and my brain leaks.

In any case, it's worth going to if you're interested in tools up to and including CNC laser cutters that will cut a 10' x 20' sheet of steel. Or you can buy a screwdriver there if that's your budget.

To get to BITEC, take the BTS to Bang Na and walk about 300 meters.

I'm headed there this PM if I can break away and I'll post back if they do have the solar section.

Edited by impulse

The Energy Ministry is set to announce new feed-in tariffs for rooftop solar in the next month or so. How it will be implemented is still unclear though. For example, there is presently a requirement that all grid-connected power generation project obtain a factory license in addition to entering into a power purchase agreement with PEA/MEA.

I wish there was a way to convert Kwai droppings into electricity. We'd have free electric for life. tongue.png

In regards to the Op's question. It seems he just wants to have electricity in case of black outs. Does anybody know anything about using batteries? I presume they would be trickle charged whilst power is on but I don't know what the outputs are, the length of time they last or the overall viability is of them.

I wish there was a way to convert Kwai droppings into electricity. We'd have free electric for life. tongue.png

In regards to the Op's question. It seems he just wants to have electricity in case of black outs. Does anybody know anything about using batteries? I presume they would be trickle charged whilst power is on but I don't know what the outputs are, the length of time they last or the overall viability is of them.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633154-why-not-more-solar-energy/?hl=%20inverter

Crossy uses inverters for power back up, I assume he will be here shortly.

Im looking into solar systems as well and trying to source panels etc. I think your right in thinking about circumstances that could lead to extended blackouts and so on.

If you get some info, please post it here or PM me as I am extremely interested in developing this further.

several threads exist on back-up power using inverters and batteries. yes, i am using three sets of inverters.

-two power two pumps which supply water to our home,

-two power my study (lights, computers, routers) and my TV-room (TV, HDD recorders, SAT receivers),

-to power the study of the Mrs (computer, printer/scanner, TV, SAT receiver and HDD recorders).

cost per system approximately 15-18,000 Baht depending on number of batteries. it looks like this:

UPS%20320ah.JPG

Edited by Naam
  • Like 2

^ ah yes it is all coming back to me now smile.png

the batteries look new though thumbsup.gif

these batteries are 5½ years old. i only changed batteries of one set (after 4 years) , the ones that are used for the water pumps.

several threads exist on back-up power using inverters and batteries. yes, i am using three sets of inverters.

-two power my study (lights, computers, routers) and my TV-room (TV, HDD recorders, SAT receivers),

-to power the study of the Mrs (computer, printer/scanner, TV, SAT receiver and HDD recorders).

cost per system approximately 15-18,000 Baht depending on number of batteries. it looks like this:

Thanks for that Naam. Think I'll go for something along those lines. I'll look into the other threads. wai.gif

Just got back from the BITEC machinery show.

Drooled all over some nifty tools, but not much solar stuff at all.

But if you want to weld, cut, machine, or beat on metal or plastic (or find someone to do it for you), it's a great show. Runs through tomorrow (May 19)

Thanks for that Naam. Think I'll go for something along those lines. I'll look into the other threads. wai.gif

Google solar power Thailand .. there are many suppliers from upcountry battery trickle systems to full on PV/inverter installations. Last time I looked a 5KVA system was about 100K baht. Don't forget though these only work when the sun shines and as a rough guide you can take the rated generation capacity and divide by 2. The sun don't shine the same all day!!

sorry it was 300,00 baht...that was a couple of years ago and there has been an oversupply of product since then

Edited by Mudcrab

But if you want to weld, cut, machine, or beat on metal or plastic (or find someone to do it for you), it's a great show. Runs through tomorrow (May 19)

Forget the machinery ... what were the promotion girls like?

Contact Alassandro at Abo Trading in Chisng Mai. He has a full range of solar hot water heaters, German solar pumps & pool pumps & solar inverter power systems available, as well as LED lighting. Am using his services currently.

My Solar panels: 650 watts, plenty to run my small house and workshop.

post-131850-0-81978900-1368880605_thumb.

My batteries:

post-131850-0-34053900-1368880673_thumb.

Yes, the batteries are grossly over-sized, but then I bought them secondhand (and cheap) many years ago.

Still going fine.

I don't have (or need) a generator.

Edited by jackflash
  • Like 2

Forget the machinery ... what were the promotion girls like?

Just like the car shows, except these ladies will talk to you...

• Like 1

My Solar panels: 650 watts, plenty to run my small house and workshop.

attachicon.gifpanels.jpg

My batteries:

attachicon.gifbatteries.jpg

Yes, the batteries are grossly over-sized, but then I bought them secondhand (and cheap) many years ago.

Still going fine.

I don't have (or need) a generator.

650 Watt must be a very small house, or do I understand this wrong.

By the way, is this Thailand ?