Air Con Mathmatics.........

jaideeguy

My usual tactic to beat this damn heat is to set my aircon at 25c and run it at night, then wake up freezing in an hour, then turn it off and wake up sweating and maybe repeat this 2 more times during the night, making for an interrupted sleep. Last night, I tried a different tactic and set the control at 28c and slept comfortably the whole night. Just wondering how much more this is costing me in elect??

Another stupid question is 'where is the sensor for the temp......in the remote controller or in the blower unit'??

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sensor is in the blower unit if you have a remote control. It might be in the control unit if it's fixed to the wall in some of the more expensive cassette type units.

You'll find that the temperature setting/display is never correct or true and therefore should be set to your comfort, irrespective of what the display shows.

I have one in the bedroom set for 29 and it's comfortable. The one in the living area needs to be set for 22 for the same comfort level. I bought a thermometer from Tesco and did some comparisons in the two rooms - it appears my comfort level is actually 26 as that was the "true" reading in both rooms according to the thermometer.

Of course, I'm sure if I bought 3 more thermometers they would all give different readings as well. But using my single thermometer proved that the actual air con digital displays are inaccurate in a comparative context.

EDIT: As to the cost - I figure the comfort is worth whatever it costs. Your air con is costing virtually the same per running hour whether you have it set on 18 or 28. The difference being that it will be running more on 18 than 28 to maintain the lower temperature, and the compressor will be costing more than just the internal fan when it goes into "idle" mode when set higher. If you're using it all night or all day then just go for the comfort level - cost differential will be marginal.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

My usual tactic to beat this damn heat is to set my aircon at 25c and run it at night, then wake up freezing in an hour, then turn it off and wake up sweating and maybe repeat this 2 more times during the night, making for an interrupted sleep. Last night, I tried a different tactic and set the control at 28c and slept comfortably the whole night. Just wondering how much more this is costing me in elect??

Another stupid question is 'where is the sensor for the temp......in the remote controller or in the blower unit'??

How odd that you would have an air con unit and feel the need to break from your sleep to keep adjusting the god dam thing all night,surely this defeats the object of having one in the first place.

If I worried so much about the cost and setting I wouldn't even contemplate owning one in fairness,why not just use a fan ?

Seriously find the temperature you like and leave it at that,it's really that simple,most modern units come with a sleep setting that adjust as the night progresses.

If I just use a fan, i get a chill on the exposed side and sweat on the unexposed side and am spinning all night long.

Re, the sleep setting......how does that feature work?? my new Samsung has a 'good sleep' setting. There is a timer on the remote, but instructions are in Thai only.

In the 13 years that I've lived here, the longest that I've run my aircon is 1 hr, but this year it's not cooling off at night. This morning's cool was 84f.........thanks Al Gore!!

• Like 1

If I just use a fan, i get a chill on the exposed side and sweat on the unexposed side and am spinning all night long.

Re, the sleep setting......how does that feature work?? my new Samsung has a 'good sleep' setting. There is a timer on the remote, but instructions are in Thai only.

In the 13 years that I've lived here, the longest that I've run my aircon is 1 hr, but this year it's not cooling off at night. This morning's cool was 84f.........thanks Al Gore!!

Google the model number and you're guaranteed to find an operator's manual in English available for download. Or post the model number and I'll track it down for you.

EDIT: Just go here, it explains about "good sleep" and you can download the manual.

http://www.samsungsystemac.com/html/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34&Itemid=23

Edited by Gsxrnz

Set mine at 27 before sleep,(28 too hot)but wake up in night too cold, remedy was set the AC on timer for 3 hours then fan set on another timer that cuts in when AC shuts down,bit of a juggling act but it works well

If the OP's airconditioning is 'suddenly' inadequate after 13 years of use, it probably needs cleaning and servicing.

How often do you service the Air Con?? Thats always a problem here.....

Try that first, it will surprise you with the results.

• Like 1

If the OP's airconditioning is 'suddenly' inadequate after 13 years of use, it probably needs cleaning and servicing.

How often do you service the Air Con?? Thats always a problem here.....

Try that first, it will surprise you with the results.

He's lived here 13 years. The AC is a new Samsung.

To extend this subject a bit more, I was once told that running the ceiling fan (on low), together with the a/c, was cheaper and more efficient than running the a/c unit alone - something to do with a more even spread of the cold air. Any comments?

Anyway, with the ceiling fan running, I run the a/c at 27 degrees, (starting about an hour before bed), then knock off the a/c about 3.00am when I get up for a pee. That seems to work quite well for us, the coolness seems to persist with just the ceiling fan running.

I think the key is to ensure that the a/c is also drawing out the humidity. I can't be dealing with humidity when it's either hot or cool.

One fan between the three of us, point it at the wall half way through the night as we're freezing. Air con, in April only, set to 26C all night adds 500B to the bill, not a reason to worry about the cost.

No, the third one is the baby, not what you were thinking.

• Like 1

we service our aircons every 12 months we have 5 of them its costs us 1500 baht for all of them to be serviced . we never have trouble with them , they are just like a car they need to be serviced.

Most of the people set aircon too cold without even knowing why ! They do not try to put it hotter.

When it is 33 outside at night 28 in the room with aircon is far enough.

Another good solution seems to cold the room as much as possible before sleep them stop aircon and use fan.

Both ways comfortable for me but I have been one of these stupid who put 25 all night without even knowing why :-)

The reason that the temps stay so hot all night is we live in these cement 'heat sinks' that absorb and store the heat in the walls and especially those terrible cement roof tiles, then radiate it down on us all night.

The coolest houses here are the old style grass roof and bamboo walls and floors, but they are so messy and attract insects.

• Like 1

To extend this subject a bit more, I was once told that running the ceiling fan (on low), together with the a/c, was cheaper and more efficient than running the a/c unit alone - something to do with a more even spread of the cold air. Any comments?

Anyway, with the ceiling fan running, I run the a/c at 27 degrees, (starting about an hour before bed), then knock off the a/c about 3.00am when I get up for a pee. That seems to work quite well for us, the coolness seems to persist with just the ceiling fan running.

I think the key is to ensure that the a/c is also drawing out the humidity. I can't be dealing with humidity when it's either hot or cool.

I have found I can definitely control my cold air. When I am on the bed, I point the fan (which sits under the air) at the bed. The other side of the room is warm. I am sure a lot of people do this.

I have noticed, more to the op's question, that leaving the ac on for long periods and using a higher (yet still comfortable temp) saves energy. I don't think the numbers mean much switching from one ac to the next, but I have found 28 on mine is perfect. The compressor really does not kick in very often, which tells me the ac isn't working too hard at all to keep that temp. I just make sure I am done with opening the doors and stuff like this before i turn mine on, i'm quite the miser, but why the hell not, it's good for the environment too.

The reason that the temps stay so hot all night is we live in these cement 'heat sinks' that absorb and store the heat in the walls and especially those terrible cement roof tiles, then radiate it down on us all night.

The coolest houses here are the old style grass roof and bamboo walls and floors, but they are so messy and attract insects.

I personally think that it is largely due to higher relative humidity at night. You will see the temperature drop, yet feel the same. It is just the relative humidity increasing. I am actually hotter at night after it has "cooled off" here in BKK. It is terrible.

Edited by utalkin2me

RJs voice of experience

Eschew hot women,chillis and hot topics

Paint ,decorate sleeping areas in tranquil shades avoid other alcoholics

Sport only cotton and linen abroad and a loin cloth or posing lunghi Burmese stylee at home.

Defer all lenghty visits to charming Government Offices until heat subsides.

A gent in Pattaya even wears a bucket ,not sure if filled with ice?

Whenever possible cool music Jazz is highly respected here and of course that most prized discovery a cool woman

• Like 1

Not that cost of running a/c bothers me one bit but me and "her indoors" have found that putting the a/c on for half an hour before going to bed, then putting the tall fan on us right at the foot of the bed, gives us both a comfortable sleep.

At the end of the day though, it's horses for courses...

I use 2 A con in my Condo, cook by Electrik and shower is electric to. My Laptop runs 24 hours a day same as my Air Con on 25c.

My monthly electric bill is around 1800 baht every month. I think this is perfect for my conformity.

I just installed soem air cons. I was told that one room needed 24,000 BTU. The mooban staff told me to get two 12,000 BTU air cons instead, that they would work better.

When the Mitsubishi guy came to install, after the fact, he asked me why I did it that way, that the architect designed it for one 24,000 BTU unit.

I am finding that the two smaller units are having problems pushing the air far enough, so I now use a fan to help circulate the cool air.

The downside of A/C is the lack of fresh air. I'm considering ducting air from outside to the "suck" vents on the ac unit. Anyone tried that?

No,giggle.gif Normal Folks open the Window

Nah -- I'm not trying to A/C the whole of Samut Prakan

• Like 2