Where To Spend 6 Months In Thailand

Billpro785

Looking for suggestions for where to stay in Thailand for six months. I'm a US contractor and need to stay out of the US for tax exempt purposes.

Have been to all the usual tourist areas before. Looking for somewhere low cost to live, and quiet. Also my passion is photography, so would be spending most of the time taking photographs.

Plan on renting a small apartment or house, and buying a used motorbike .

Was thinking of up north Chiang Rai, on the motor bike issue , Would it be best to buy a used or maybe buy new ? For the visa run, I would assume Laos would be the best ?

buying used or new is easy but used prob makes more sense for only six months...visa runs to mae sai border with Burma are very very easy from CR....only little over an hour from CR with buses/vans etc leaving every few minutes....if you want to go to Laos you can go to chiang khong which is also near to CR....

check the chiang rai forum for all kinds of CR info...

• Like 1

No need to decide in advance, travel around until you find a place you like, "settle" there for a while but still continue to take trips now and again in search of greener pastures, when you find them, move, keep yourself from really putting down roots until you're "really sure" you've found your valhalla if ever. Personally I'd say never, travel light and be ready to move on anytime for me. . .

Again just my opinion, but the only major rule I'd recommend is never live within easy travel distance of your SO's family, make sure she understands its her role to follow you to where you want to live. Unless you're in one of these new-fangled modern "equal" relationships. . .

• Like 1

Buy a decent sized bike and tour for 6 months...

Stop when you find somewhere you like, then move on when you have photographed everything you like smile.png

How many people would kill for a chance to do that ???

Well I'm jealous anyway...

Have fun and stay safe

I live 6 months in Thailand and 6 months working in the uk, this time I have sold everything. Sick of the same boring lifestyle with very few expats which I would consider friends and a handful of Thai friends.

I sold everything but my clothes and big bike, I leave for the UK in a month and will just have my backpack and backbox for touring next time I visit. This is the first 6 months stint I have done, as before I was living and working but doing nothing is driving me mad. I am stuck to the rental agreement which is very cheap and I even pay it when I am in the UK as I have all my furniture etc etc in it.

So next time I arrive I can go anywhere and probably take cheapish monthly contracts in places I like, good luck.

No need to decide in advance, travel around until you find a place you like, "settle" there for a while but still continue to take trips now and again in search of greener pastures, when you find them, move, keep yourself from really putting down roots until you're "really sure" you've found your valhalla if ever. Personally I'd say never, travel light and be ready to move on anytime for me. . .

Again just my opinion, but the only major rule I'd recommend is never live within easy travel distance of your SO's family, make sure she understands its her role to follow you to where you want to live. Unless you're in one of these new-fangled modern "equal" relationships. . .

I think PaiMan put it in the right perspective. Nobody can speak for everyone. Only the OP knows what will suit his life style. Thailand is fairly inexpensive if you just travel light and don't live too high. A month or two in each general location will give a good idea what to expect. Some people prefer the beaches where others prefer the mountains. Some need an active night life while others prefer a rural setting. I love riding my motorbike and I enjoy hiking, so Chiang Mai suits me. As much as I enjoy the ocean, my redhair's complexion does not do too well in a beach environment. I think a small rural community would quickly grow boring if you don't have an absorbing interest outside of drinking.

Got any building/construction experience? I'll pay you 400b a day to work for me in Issan region. Especially looking for an electrician ASAP.

Sure you posted this to the right thread? Don't see anything about his doing that sort of work. . .

Or maybe you think "contractor" implies that?

More likely mercenary soldier or at least military support these days, especially in a 'merican context.

Don't forget the Kanchanqaburi area, some tourists around with the bridge, history etc but easy to get away from.

Have a look at all the national parks, there is a good web site on them and accommodation at most for a few days stay.

Coming into the rainy season now so might make it more difficult to move around.

If you are on a bike be very careful, don't become another road death statistic.

Question on the motor bike ownership, found a nice KLX 150 for a great price , comes with green book. As I only will have tourist visa, can I buy it and register the bike ? Or is there other ways to do this ? When you register the bike in your name you will need a Tabien Baan ... Place of residence letter