U S Carrier Nimitz Due To Visit Phuket

webfact

US carrier Nimitz due to visit Phuket
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1368790082_1.jpg
The USS Nimitz at sea. Photo US Navy

PHUKET: -- The aircraft carrier USS Nimitz is due to visit Phuket on May 28, anchoring in Makham Bay off the deep sea port.

This will be the second time the Nimitz and its crew has visited Phuket; the last time was in 2010.

The Nimitz is currently in the seas off the Korean peninsula, stationed there in response to North Korean posturing and war threats against its neighbours and American interests – which now appear to have abated.

The nuclear-powered Nimitz is celebrating its 38th year in service. It was commissioned on May 3, 1975. It is one of the largest warships in the world, and all the numbers related to it are huge.

It displaces 100,020 tonnes, is 332.8 metres long by 76.8 metres wide, has a maximum speed of 31.5 knots (58.3 km/h), and can keep going for 20 to 25 years on one charge of nuclear fuel.

On board the ship, and getting ready to enjoy Phuket’s hospitality, are 3,200 sailors and 2,480 air wing personnel to fly and manage the 90 fixed wing aircraft and helicopters carried on board.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/us-carrier-nimitz-due-to-visit-phuket-39457.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-05-18

Useful info:

Nimitz-class aircraft carrier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier

USS Nimitz: (CVN 68): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Nimitz_(CVN-68)

USS Nimitz official website: http://www.nimitz.navy.mil/

597px-HMS_Ark_Royal_USS_Nimitz_Norfolk1_

HMS Ark Royal USS Nimitz Norfolk1 1978

An aerial view of the U.S. nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz (CVN-68) and the British aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal (R09) tied up at piers at Norfolk Naval Station, Virginia (USA) between 14 and 21 August 1978. Source: Wikipedia.org

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3,200 sailors and 2,480 air wing personnel

Dunno if Phuket could handle so much seamen. ohmy.png

Don't worry, the hoe's will be imported from all over Thailand. And there will still be a million plus to make up the rear echelon.

They are a commodity (a bottomless pit) in the country same as rice.

Yep..sponsors of certain ladies all over LOS will already have been requested to put money in the bank...next month i go see Navy-boys come Patong see mama and papa, go home family, make rice and fix motocyc my sister..she accident,..and i need money to help many my family..tongue.png

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 2

Dunno if Phuket could handle so much seamen. Posted Image

Don't worry, the hoe's will be imported from all over Thailand. And there will still be a million plus to make up the rear echelon.

Yep..sponsors of certain ladies all over LOS will already have been requested to put money in the bank...next month i go see Navy-boys come Patong see mama and papa, go home family, make rice and fix motocyc my sister..she accident,..and i need money to help many my family..Posted Image

So, this expected flood of seamen is merely a drop in the ocean. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I like it. An outward demonstration of friendship and protection with Thailand. I hope Thailand takes notice.

There are ten of those, and all travel in complete "carrier groups" of ships including subs.

First as a show of force to the kid with the funny haircut in NK, then as a show of friendship to The Philippines, and now, Thailand, and on to the South China Sea. There are two more of them lurking.

"Nimitz-class, keeping China's mouth shut since 1975."

As I recall one previous US Navy visit the Phuket Taxi "Association" forced and end to the use of chartered busses to transport military personnel in to town- and not be subject to extorsionist fares.

As a US taxpayer I am not infavor of increased (US) military presence in asia. I say pull our troops out of Japan, South Korea and let the Japanese settle their own issues with China.

Thailand and Japan are old "Allies" anyway, so maybe they will wish to rejoin the old "Greater Asia Co-Prosperity Zone"

Yeah, thats the ticket smile.png

• Like 2

Thank you God. I like rice and "hoe's"

Maybe phuket can't but the girls and boys from isaan who work here sure can!w00t.gif

There are a lot of young ladies in the US Navy now. Maybe you guys should shave and get a haircut. tongue.png

reminds me of the old joke about being sucked under the pier by a wave.
  • Like 1

On board the ship, and getting ready to enjoy Phukets hospitality, are 3,200 sailors and 2,480 air wing personnel to fly and manage the 90 fixed wing aircraft and helicopters carried on board.

I will be interested to see if the tuk tuk mafia blocks the ports gates again if the US Navy tries to use buses for shore leave

In all honesty, it will take much more than the US Navy and a nuclear powered aircraft carrier to sort out the tuk tuk mafia here. sad.png

• Like 2

I like it. An outward demonstration of friendship and protection with Thailand. I hope Thailand takes notice.

There are ten of those, and all travel in complete "carrier groups" of ships including subs.

First as a show of force to the kid with the funny haircut in NK, then as a show of friendship to The Philippines, and now, Thailand, and on to the South China Sea. There are two more of them lurking.

"Nimitz-class, keeping China's mouth shut since 1975."

"Nimitz-class, keeping China's mouth shut since 1975." - and keeping The States more and more in financial debt to China for building, crewing and running them since the 90's. smile.pngsmile.png

Must be the syntax: surely you can't mean that China builds, crews, and runs US carriers...

No - I meant the US owes China a lot of money.