What Are You Currently Using Or Will Buy In Next Year: Ios Or Android?

bangkokburning

Android.

Good topic for a poll?

Tablet, phone, phablet

Android, iOS, WF, Symbian, Other.

http://bgr.com/2013/05/16/smartphone-shipments-q1-2013-idc/

Android shipments increased from 90.3 million in the first quarter of 2012 to a whopping 162.1 million units in Q1 2013. Google and its vendor partners accounted for 75% of all smartphones shipped in the first quarter, up from 59.1% in Q1 of 2012.

http://asia.cnet.com/android-dominated-sea-in-q1-2013-62221402.htm

Apple/iOS did pretty well when you factor in tablets. Once they expand on the low end they should pick up.

Just google something along the lines of "market share Android and IOS"....will probably get numerous articles providing current and trending worldwide market share. That would probably be better stats compared to fanboy type responses you might get here. With that being said the wife and I just bought Samsung S4's running Android 4.2.2.

Im interested in what phones Thai expats and vsitors are using.

Especially with Android 4.3 on the way and Apple just bumping along.

Wondering if hassles of creating iOS app worth it honestly.

Thanks, I trief the poll thing on the right, but failed.

X

The Nokia 520 windows 8 phone I just purchased beats the pants off my android and Blackberry phones.

As a phone and music player and at less than 1/2 the price of the previous two.

My tablets work very well as book readers, GPS, internet browsers and video players. But MP3 and phones, not very good.

MP3 was never smooth after the upgrade to 4.1.1, phone was never loud enough and cut in and out easily.

Android OS upgrades, you always had to buy a new device to get it, the rare upgrades on older devices usually introduced problems.

Blackberry just fell apart after less than two years very careful use.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

The Nokia 520 windows 8 phone I just purchased beats the pants off my android and Blackberry phones.

As a phone and music player and at less than 1/2 the price of the previous two.

My tablets work very well as book readers, GPS, internet browsers and video players. But MP3 and phones, not very good.

MP3 was never smooth after the upgrade to 4.1.1, phone was never loud enough and cut in and out easily.

Android OS upgrades, you always had to buy a new device to get it, the rare upgrades on older devices usually introduced problems.

Blackberry just fell apart after less than two years very careful use.

I'm running Android 4.2.2 with no issues on my fairly old Samsung Galaxy S.

As for Windows phones... I know my brother ended up running Android on his old HTC HD2 which had originally come with Windows mobile on it because, with Android being free, you can get unofficial ports after the manufacturer stops doing the official updates.(He only upgraded to a newer phone - the Nexus 4 - this year.)

I am thinking an HTC One as my next phone though, but I haven't had any problems with my Galaxy S yet, so I'm toying with the idea of keeping it as long as I can keep the software up to date.

The wife has an iPhone 4S but is starting to get a little more used to android since we started using an android box to let her watch dootv in the UK. (LG smart TV worked with dootv by itself, but our old non-smart Philips plasma needed an external box to get dootv working on it.)

As for tablets. I have one small android one, but the kids have all got iPads. (but they all have Android phones, so we definitely mix and match...)

Edited by bkk_mike

Been with my HTC Desire on android froyo for about 3-4 years with no problems. Thinking about picking up at google nexus 4 stateside in a couple weeks. I like the win8 phone interface but those Nokia phones are shaped and weigh like bricks!

Love my iPad 3 but also thinking of upgrading to 128gb model from my 32 one. Bought a nexus 7 last year but never really use it. For tablets, iPad os and form factor is ideal to me...the 7 is too small for video but too big to just shove in a pocket. Am tempted by the google 10 tablet, however, but little google play market support in Thailand (without going through a VPN).

S for me, it's android for phones and iOS for tablets. PCs I like the new win8.

Ive bought a Nexi4 in US, will pick it up in Oct. Great things about these devices is they upgrade first and automatically.

Wife bought one here cause she couldnt wait. I was not happy! Its a nice phone.

I just inherited her Gio which Ive modded out to perfection.

I may sell the nexus 4 when I get it - Im worried it will be huge in my pocket. Never thought about that.

Suprised at interest in Win phone. I loathe Nokia, running Symbian was a fraud and a disaster. Will not forgive them.

Every time I see people on.some big iPad I think <deleted> you carrying that around for! How wrong Jobs was about 7" tablet.

We are running an old Gio, Nex4, Nex7, laptop, netbook - ipods touch, classic.

Thanks. Nothing definitive, we as a group are all over the board.

Edited by bangkokburning

I'm using Android currently. iPhone, nope as I do not wish to be paying for them after the sales (apps, subscriptions etc). It's also expensive.

Next phone is either Android or SaiOS (Jolla) in case the latter are really able to run Android apps.

Will (no doubt) be choosing an Android tablet - as soon as a decent 13 inch or more appears on the market (it's for home use).

Yes, I like 'em BIG!

Currently have Galaxy Tab 2 - amazing piece of work and very pleased with it (so far). Use it for cloud computing at work - great!

There are loads of reasons to hate on Apple. I was early 90s Apple fanboy, complete 180 so it comes from both the heart and the head. Mainly, I do not like the way Apple decided to deal with DRM. I do not like all the rules Apple forces you into - but hey, think differently (morons hahaha).

But there is do much to hate about overpriced hardware running closed end software in a closed environment.

Steve Jobs is a douche and not a genius. Apple made all sorts of bad mistakes. Jobs made even more...remember Next?

Jobs made the MP3 player better, he made the smart phone better. Apple copies as much or more than any of its competitors.

Made serious business mistakes lately and stock is reflecting that.

Phone - Android (Note 2)

Tablet - Win8 (Surface Pro)

Next phone will probably be Android, but may go WP8 if enough apps get developed for it.

The office suite options on both Android and iOS suck, but that is the only advantage WP8 has in my opinion.

Next tablet will be probably be Win8 once the Haswell powered tablets get released.

Will definitely have to be a Win8 pro tablet with a digitizer.

Probably the Surface Pro 2 if it's just as good, but thinner and lighter than the current one.

I think iOS is good if you just want to browse the web and play games. And, if the limitations and restrictions don't bother you, it's nice probably a good choice. I would get my parents an iOS tablet over Android or Win8, because it would be good enough for them and they probably couldn't stuff it up too much.

have been iOS for awhile, but had a year with an HTC Desire HD - piece of crap phone. Android OS seems more stable now though. The Samsung S4 and Note 2 are pretty amazing. I use a iPhone 4S and am happy with it for probably at least another year, I'll see what the S5 or Note 3 looks like by then :)