Red Shirts Gather At Ratchaprasong; Mark 3Rd Anniversary Of May 19 Crackdown

Lite Beer

Red Shirts gather at Ratchaprasong; mark 3rd anniversary of May 19 crackdown
By Digital Media

13689487371109-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, May 19 - Red Shirt protesters on Sunday gathered at Bangkok's prime commercial area amid tight security to mark the third anniversary of the May 19 protest clampdown in 2010, which resulted in scores of deaths and injuries.

The supporters of the red-clad, United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), began gathering since morning at Ratchaprasong intersection, their main rally site against the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration three years ago.

They laid wreaths in front of nearby Pathumwanaram Temple to commemorate those who were killed during the security operations in 2010.

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is scheduled to make a phone-in address to his supporters at around 8.30pm tonight.

The deputy spokesman of the ruling Pheu Thai Party on Sunday urged former premier Abhisit Vejjajiva and his deputy Suthep Thaugsuban to formally express their condolences to the families of the May 19 victims.

National Security Council secretary-general Gen Paradorn Pattanathabut said that, as of now, there are no reports of possible violence at the rally site, while security measures have been implemented to maintain law and order.

Gen Paradorn also brushed aside the so-called "double-standard practice to handle the mobs, saying that security-concerned agencies have applied the same standard of practice to every group of protesters.

Eighteen companies of police officers have been deployed in the protest site and screen for weapons at the venue.

Police said the rally organisers have pledged their activity will end by midnight.

Roads leading to the Ratchaprasong intersection were closed in the afternoon due to the number of protesters turning out, while CentralWorld department store announced its one-day closure from 1pm today. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-19

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woman dies in Pathumwanaram Temple, waiting to join Red Shirt demonstration
By Digital Media

13689510707773-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, May 19 - A 68-year-old Red Shirt supporter fainted and died, apparently of exhaustion, while she was attending the group's ceremony marking the third anniversary of the May 19, 2010 crackdown.

The elderly woman was identified as Kaikee Wongrasri, a resident of the northeastern province of Sakhon Nakorn.

Dr Chongchet Aowchenpong from Police General Hospital said that the victim was inside Wat Pathumwanaram since early morning, waiting to join the rally of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) Red Shirts, being held at nearby Ratchaprasong intersection today.

The physician said Ms Kaikee died due to exhaustion as she had just travelled overnight from her hometown to the capital and that she also has a congenital disease. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-19

So long as this protest is peaceful, there is no cause for concern, one can only hope that it remains like this after the main man has finished another rousing speech from Dubai and if the crowd becomes unruly and out of control, there is eighteen companies of police officers to stop any such moves and there is no favours or double standards , so they all should be in prison, if they step out of line , that's as I read it, correct? And pigs might fly.bah.gif

• Like 1

Those of you who do facebook have a look at the video on there of the reds being chased out by the local people who it seems are not too happy about them being there.

Do you have a link or other way of going directly to the video? Thanks.

I just so want the yellows to arrange a similarly disruptive 'gathering', absolutely identical mind, same place, same numbers, say maybe next week, blocking off main roads and costing Central 1/2 a days business and see how far it gets. See if the police even let them set up camp and take a seat.

I agree, they should not be allowed to block the road. I think they should hold the protest at the airport.

Actually, why is it legal for people to hold these protests wherever they want? Aren't there any laws regulating this sort of thing?

Why are they referring to them as protesters? It's a rally, they aren't protesting anything that I am aware of.

Agree

"ceremony marking the third anniversary of the May 19, 2010 crackdown"

In the small print below

• Like 1

Once again, lawlessness prevails and only red shirt law dominates the city.

"Red-shirt guards used barriers and trucked to block the both inbound and outbound Rajdamri Road for setting up a stage."

http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Red-shirts-rally-at-Rajprasong-Rajdamri-Road-close-30206465.html

Surely you don't expect the Royal Thai Police to do anything do you?

This is a serious memorial gathering and everyone will leave peacefully after they have heard "The Sermon From The Wilderness" tonight at 8.30pm.

• Like 2

Robby nz, on 19 May 2013 - 15:23, said:snapback.png

Those of you who do facebook have a look at the video on there of the reds being chased out by the local people who it seems are not too happy about them being there.

Do you have a link or other way of going directly to the video? Thanks.

Try

Havent tried it yet but will now.

I will stick my neck out here, but I have a feeling this is footage from earlier protests maybe 4 years ago?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit

Yes, it is, but I guess there will be people there today telling the Reds to "Auk bpai!"

Edited by ratcatcher

Once again, lawlessness prevails and only red shirt law dominates the city.

"Red-shirt guards used barriers and trucked to block the both inbound and outbound Rajdamri Road for setting up a stage."

http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Red-shirts-rally-at-Rajprasong-Rajdamri-Road-close-30206465.html

to be fair the Pitak Siam gathering was much more dangerous to the government and therefore Thailand, which meant the RTP had to do something 50,000 man strong with razorbladewire, teargas, etc., etc. This peaceful UDD led gathering is only effecting a commercial centre, nothing serious.wink.png

But why should they close down a commercial centre? Personally I don't partake of the national weekend hobby of mall visiting, but many do.

• Like 1

I just so want the yellows to arrange a similarly disruptive 'gathering', absolutely identical mind, same place, same numbers, say maybe next week, blocking off main roads and costing Central 1/2 a days business and see how far it gets. See if the police even let them set up camp and take a seat.

why not. this the only way the grand ma and pa get to go to the city

• Like 1