Clutchless Scooters

jayci

How to change down the gears smoothy on a wave type bike?

I am accustom to using a clutch when down shifting on a bike, so am not sure how to do a smooth change on these scooters.

Is it an easy mod to put a manual clutch on a Wave 125?

The first movement with the gear pedal disengages the clutch. If you don't think that is correct then cruise along at say 50 kph and depress the pedal and you will find you just carry on without any engine braking. Clutchless is a misconception, they have a clutch but it is incorporated in with the gear lever.

The first movement with the gear pedal disengages the clutch. If you don't think that is correct then cruise along at say 50 kph and depress the pedal and you will find you just carry on without any engine braking. Clutchless is a misconception, they have a clutch but it is incorporated in with the gear lever.

Yes, absolutely! So, to downshift smoothly, downshift with your foot and hold it in that position (you will either be lifting with your toe, or depressing with your heel on a wave ) THEN you either give the throttle a "stab" (a quick rev) or simply twist it more to increase the revs (I prefer this downshifting in turns, because you don't want the rear wheel to feel extra torque, either positive or negative) then at a medium pace release the foot shifter to static position in the new, lower gear. If you're in a long sweeper, and you're slowly releasing the foot shifter, you can make a "by feel" throttle adjustment as you're releasing the foot shifter. It takes some practice for sure. It'll get better with your time trying. It works just fine. I've never heard them called "crunchers."

My opinion is to sell the clutchless and buy a clutch model if that's what you want. Also, my opinion, if you do that, buy the Yamaha 135 water cooled Spark, in sit-up position (not racing position, which they also make) with hand clutch (they also make clutchless, which is what I have. You can't carry a 4 meter ladder on your shoulder as you go down the road on a clutch type.) It's the BEST little bike in Thailand, about 53,000 baht with electric start. They make a "Sprark " air cooled 115cc, it's fine, but get the 135cc water cooled. Mono-shock rear and electric start. Cut the driver position formed depression seat foam back another two inches.

• Like 1

How to change down the gears smoothly on a wave type bike?

I am accustom to using a clutch when down shifting on a bike, so am not sure how to do a smooth change on these scooters.

Change gear as you would normally on a manual clutch bike. Roll off the throttle slightly and activate the gear lever. The only unusual thing is the rocker type pedal, this can be replaced for a single lever if you are happier with that.

Manual clutch conversion is easy on an older wave if you can find the crankcase from an older unit with a clutch, or get a new case from a Monkey Bike parts supplier, like Faddy Bike.

• Like 1

I don't have a newish Wave but a newish Smash that is a copy and not a lot of crunching. The old Wave doesn't crunch a lot but it's got the original cush drive (I think?) and an old chain.

Yeah on most of these types of clutchless bikes you can learn to be somewhat smooth, but I find the Waves and also the older Honda Tenas seem to have a very 'clunky' or awkward shifter, and they are much more difficult to shift smoothly than the various older Yamahas, Kawasakis and Suzukis I've had (such as Sparks, Freshs, Cheers etc.)

It almost seems like the Honda click-through gearbox is just much heavier duty - very unpleasant to operate, but much more durable (I've had loads of trouble with most of the other brand's gearboxes, but never with a Honda).

On the bright side if you want to buy a good used bike with a clutch, they're almost ridiculously cheap - Thais absolutely won't buy them (most Thais won't even buy a non-automatic, but very very few will willingly operate a clutch).

• Like 1