Breath Testing Kata.

hansgruber

This evening had a random breath test set up at Kata lookout. About 5.30pm

Stopping people headed to Kata by pulling them into the parking area for testing. 3 cop setup.

I saw another farang was detained as I was waved in and I was dead on the limit and was let go after some 20 mins of deliberation. I'm changing my ways as of now.

Watch out anyone going through. It seems a new strategy is in place.

Wow, right on the limit. You must have been dancing a pretty good soft shoe for the Boys in Brown!

Beware, it isn't always money they are after. Sometimes there is a political crackdown from on high and they want arrest numbers. A friend of mine out in Sarin got nailed in just such a situation. The BIB's were not interested in any amount of money. They were very polite and even apologetic, according to my friend, but said they had no choice. So my friend went through the system, paid the fine and had to do some community service. He has since mended his ways.

What is the limit here, and tell it to me in Blood Alcohol Content - not baht. smile.pngsmile.png

I am not sure, but think it is .08, which is what it is now in most of the States in the US. That's pretty low, about two beers in a hour for the average male.

I never drive after having been drinking, but I have driven lots of times in the morning after having generously imbibed the night before, and then there is still alcohol in your blood of course, and likely also on your breath. Maybe the BIB should set up morning checkpoints to broaden their target group.

What is the limit here, and tell it to me in Blood Alcohol Content - not baht. smile.pngsmile.png

I am not sure, but think it is .08, which is what it is now in most of the States in the US. That's pretty low, about two beers in a hour for the average male.

IIRC it's .05

Wow, right on the limit. You must have been dancing a pretty good soft shoe for the Boys in Brown!

Beware, it isn't always money they are after. Sometimes there is a political crackdown from on high and they want arrest numbers. A friend of mine out in Sarin got nailed in just such a situation. The BIB's were not interested in any amount of money. They were very polite and even apologetic, according to my friend, but said they had no choice. So my friend went through the system, paid the fine and had to do some community service. He has since mended his ways.

Good post,what is it about some guys who belitle a dangerous practise like drink driving.OHHHHHHHHH of course we can pay the police,i can drive better when i have had a skinful,and other equaly child like comments.

The bottom line is that the governemnet are cracking down on drink driving,and maybe even a deportation for some farangs,if they an cause accident.I even heard a comment that 1 guy said he drives from the darkside and comes to Pattaya to drink for many hours,then jump in his car,because its safer for him than getting a m/b taxi,what utter drivel.

Hopefully they're checking the taxi and tuk tuk drivers as seeing these guys with a bottle of whisky while they wait for a fare is not uncommon at all.

arrest a farang but make certain u arrest a thai too,so no accusation of racism,give me a break <deleted>.

• Like 1

Certainly not proud of it but i was stopped, tested and charged last year.

I was stopped and tested at around 11pm coming out of Karon towards Patong. I sat in the back of a pick up in hand cuffs until 6am. Then we (3 Thais plus me) were taken to Chalong police station, finger printed, photographed etc. Sat in the cell there with no food of water until around midday. I was so dehydrated!violin.gif Then the whole cell of about 15 were taken to Phuket town police headquaters where we were placed in a massive holding cell. There was maybe 40 men in there. At 5pm i was called out and up to the fines clerk. Was told 2500 Baht. I showed her i only had 2000B in my wallet, she agreed to discount and i was freed.

2000 Baht fine plus 500 Baht taxi back to my bike.

Not recommendedhit-the-fan.gif

• Like 1

Blood alcohol limit in Thailand is 0.05 mg/ml.

That's getting close to just inhaling some beer isn't it?

Wow. I could probably top that from just reading the label. (Though I do not drive here, and seriously I don't drink much anymore either.)

As much as I hate the idea of anyone telling me what/what not to do, cracking down on DD can only be a good thing IMO.

What is the limit here, and tell it to me in Blood Alcohol Content - not baht.  Posted ImagePosted Image

I am not sure, but think it is .08, which is what it is now in most of the States in the US.  That's pretty low, about two beers in a hour for the average male.

It is. 05

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm not proud of it and was made well aware that bribery was out,of,the question.
20,000 baht bail was quoted and,fronting court the next morning.
Either pay it or wait in cell until morning to face the music.
.58 was my reading. Anything under 50 you're clear, over and you're.....

Lucky I am versed in apologetic Thai because I was gone. I was given the swiftest warning I have ever been given.
Seriously. Drink driving has reached a whole new level of enforcement.

Please. I was also told if you're caught twice you will be deported automatically.
Careful. Freedom has been reigned in.

I'm not proud of it and was made well aware that bribery was out,of,the question.

20,000 baht bail was quoted and,fronting court the next morning.

Either pay it or wait in cell until morning to face the music.

.58 was my reading. Anything under 50 you're clear, over and you're <deleted>.

Lucky I am versed in apologetic Thai because I was gone. I was given the swiftest warning I have ever been given.

Seriously. Drink driving has reached a whole new level of enforcement.

Please. I was also told if you're caught twice you will be deported automatically.

Careful. Freedom has been reigned in.

Yep I've completely given up on taking the motorbike when going out for a drink, not worth the risk anymore and luckily I don't live far away from the bars wai2.gif

does anyone know the fine if you insist you want to stand your ground and go to court, i heard a 1000 baht, no loss of licence and a slap on the but on the way out, i'd be interested if anyone has taken the court routecoffee1.gif

does anyone know the fine if you insist you want to stand your ground and go to court, i heard a 1000 baht, no loss of licence and a slap on the but on the way out, i'd be interested if anyone has taken the court routecoffee1.gif

Did you not read my post? There is no court and its not 1000B it's 2500B. You just pay a fine during office hours....

Lets hope the BIB really are taking drunk driving seriously, but alas I think it is just a latest fad, maybe its giving the BIB something to do rather than not do a lot which must be boring for them!!

does anyone know the fine if you insist you want to stand your ground and go to court, i heard a 1000 baht, no loss of licence and a slap on the but on the way out, i'd be interested if anyone has taken the court route:coffee1:

Did you not read my post? There is no court and its not 1000B it's 2500B. You just pay a fine during office hours....
Paangjang, you could have refused to pay the fine, and then you would have gone to court. Did they give you a receipt for the fine? Anyway thanks for sharing your story, it might have convinced a few people not to drive after drinking. Edited by keestha

I'm not questioning the facts in your post, but, just to clarify. If I register 0.06 (just over the limit - probably should not have had the third beer with dinner in the hour) - I will pay a 2500B fine.

If I am out drinking all night and register 0.20 or higher (heavily intoxicated) - I will still just be fined 2500B.

Doesn't sound right to me - but, yes, we are in Thailand, or should I say, Phuket. :)

Edited by NamKangMan

does anyone know the fine if you insist you want to stand your ground and go to court, i heard a 1000 baht, no loss of licence and a slap on the but on the way out, i'd be interested if anyone has taken the court route:coffee1:

Paangjang, you could have refused to pay the fine, and then you would have gone to court. Did they give you a receipt for the fine? Anyway thanks for sharing your story, it might have convinced a few people not to drive after drinking.

Never considered not paying it to be honest. Anyway it's only 2000B, who would have the time and energy to bother going to court over it?

I genuinely don't drink and drive anymore, taught the mrs to drive a manualthumbsup.gif