Breath Testing Kata.

hansgruber

does anyone know the fine if you insist you want to stand your ground and go to court, i heard a 1000 baht, no loss of licence and a slap on the but on the way out, i'd be interested if anyone has taken the court routecoffee1.gif

Did you not read my post? There is no court and its not 1000B it's 2500B. You just pay a fine during office hours....

I'm not questioning the facts in your post, but, just to clarify. If I register 0.06 (just over the limit - probably should not have had the third beer with dinner in the hour) - I will pay a 2500B fine.

If I am out drinking all night and register 0.20 or higher (heavily intoxicated) - I will still just be fined 2500B.

Doesn't sound right to me - but, yes, we are in Thailand, or should I say, Phuket. smile.png

I was 0.18. Then after being handcuffed for 20 minutes or so, they told me to try again. That time it came back higherblink.png

does anyone know the fine if you insist you want to stand your ground and go to court, i heard a 1000 baht, no loss of licence and a slap on the but on the way out, i'd be interested if anyone has taken the court routecoffee1.gif

Did you not read my post? There is no court and its not 1000B it's 2500B. You just pay a fine during office hours....

I'm not questioning the facts in your post, but, just to clarify. If I register 0.06 (just over the limit - probably should not have had the third beer with dinner in the hour) - I will pay a 2500B fine.

If I am out drinking all night and register 0.20 or higher (heavily intoxicated) - I will still just be fined 2500B.

Doesn't sound right to me - but, yes, we are in Thailand, or should I say, Phuket. smile.png

I was 0.18. Then after being handcuffed for 20 minutes or so, they told me to try again. That time it came back higherblink.png

I know a guy who was pulled up late last year and was over, well over. He "offered" 10,000 baht, which was gladly accepted. It would have been cheaper if he just paid the fine. :)

He obviously didn't know it was only 2500 baht fine.

I have no reason to doubt his version of events. The police officer even followed him to the ATM and he was allowed to ride off. :)

• Like 1

I was 0.18. Then after being handcuffed for 20 minutes or so, they told me to try again. That time it came back higher:blink:

Sure, breathalyzing is not reliable, just rinsing your mouth with Pernod will result in a higher reading than drinking 3 glasses. I believe generally in western countries this method is not used anymore, instead of that they probably use a blood test.

Is there any Thai licence suspension? :) :)

For me they didn't do anything with my licence, i don't even remember showing them it...

Was thinking the same thing about the bribes, i bet a lot of guys panic and end up at the ATM... Suckersclap2.gif

For me they didn't do anything with my licence, i don't even remember showing them it...

Was thinking the same thing about the bribes, i bet a lot of guys panic and end up at the ATM... Suckersclap2.gif

Someone who drinks and drives is calling someone else a sucker for paying up a bribe ?.... It leaves little room for doubt as to your character...

For me they didn't do anything with my licence, i don't even remember showing them it...

Was thinking the same thing about the bribes, i bet a lot of guys panic and end up at the ATM... SuckersPosted Image

Someone who drinks and drives is calling someone else a sucker for paying up a bribe ?....  It leaves little room for doubt as to your character... 

So we're judging anonymous peoples character via the internet?

You sir need to get a life.

• Like 1

Someone who drinks and drives is calling someone else a sucker for paying up a bribe ?.... It leaves little room for doubt as to your character...

I'll pass judgement on anyone anonymous or not who admits that drink driving is acceptable... I'll also pass a similar judgement on anyone in support of them which it appears you might be,

Get a life?... Indeed... mine involves caring whether or not my actions 'take' someone else's... more posters should be considering that rather than supporting the drink-drivers.

I'll pass judgement on anyone anonymous or not who admits that drink driving is acceptable... I'll also pass a similar judgement on anyone in support of them which it appears you might be,

Get a life?... Indeed... mine involves caring whether or not my actions 'take' someone else's... more posters should be considering that rather than supporting the drink-drivers.

Who said it was acceptable? You misunderstood.

Who said it was acceptable? You misunderstood.

I maybe mistaken in my assumption...... If so apologies..

However, it seems to me that a lot of people are discussing the payment: 'just paying' the 2000B or 2500B fine... it appears that this discussion is taking place with complete indifference to DUI. thus, it would seem to some that it is acceptable and those with experience of paying the fines etc may be repeat offenders.

I certainly do not condone drink driving. I'm sure many other members on this forum are the same.

It's unfortunate that drink driving/riding on Phuket has become a part of day to day living here, due to the transport issues this island has.

I've always said, if other affordable transport options existed here, many tourists and expats would use them, thus, saving many from death and injury.

Sadly, these options do not exist so drink driving/riding is seen as "acceptable" by many on Phuket, given the unique transport issue here.

In my opinion, this is why Phuket has such high road fatality statistics involving alcohol.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

So people drunk and drive because the public transport system is poor, what's happened to doing the right thing? acting responsibly, caring what your actions could end up causing, this is Thailand and because of the lack of police law these drunks will continue to wreak havoc!!

So people drunk and drive because the public transport system is poor, what's happened to doing the right thing? acting responsibly, caring what your actions could end up causing, this is Thailand and because of the lack of police law these drunks will continue to wreak havoc!!

Its just alcoholics justifying their actions. I only drink on Friday and Saturday nights and occasionally on Sunday afternoons. I just get one of the ladies from the bar to drive me home after we agree on a date. if I cant get a date or a taxi then I will drive. But always very slowly. Its the idiots who drink drive and speed that are the real problem

• Like 1

You drink and drive very slowly?

Yes as a last resort, normally i score before i go home though. Its also a good tactic because you can see the checkpoints earlier and just stop and pretend like you are going into a shop or something.

This is a joke right?

Who is joking? You have other posters in here letting us all know what bribes to pay. The way I do it is better you avoid a costly night. Its widely accepted that people drink and drive in Phuket. More often it is Thais and even Police that drink drive. TIT

I think a lot of people try to do the right thing. It's just a fact of life for many on Phuket, expats, tourists and Thai's, to avoid tuk-tuks at all cost, so, that leaves very little other option but to drive/ride - and, unfortunately, that's what most do, often will fatal consequences.

I have a friend who is a bar owner. He does not drink every night. On the nights he isn't drinking, I may go out, so he gives me a ride home. I'm lucky, but many do not have this luxury.

I think you would find a very high percentage of people on the coast road, after 2am, are heavily intoxicated. Now, how many of them would have taken a proper metered taxi or baht bus, like they have in Pattaya - I think you would find a high percentage of them. Sadly, the option doesn't exist, so, they drive/ride whilst intoxicated and so many times we read about them the next day in the PG or on this forum.

Edited by NamKangMan

• 2 weeks later...

I was 0.18. Then after being handcuffed for 20 minutes or so, they told me to try again. That time it came back higher:blink:

Sure, breathalyzing is not reliable, just rinsing your mouth with Pernod will result in a higher reading than drinking 3 glasses. I believe generally in western countries this method is not used anymore, instead of that they probably use a blood test.

Blood tests are reliable, breath tests are not so much. Breath tests are still used in the western world to give an indication to go for the blood test done by an medical doctor.

While the breath test are still used in here (I suppose without blood test confirmation), there is always ways to get around it with simple methods.

In case of an emergency when a person have gone out drinking and got one too many, simple pharmacy charcoal can reduce the amount of impurities in the breath (which is what the alcometers measure). Couple of active charcoal tablets from the pharmacy helps a lot. The trick is to chew the tablets well with some salt and eat those 1 hour before taking the breath test. That's most likely before exiting from the bar. After eating the tablets one should not drink anything which contains alcohol as the active charcoal binds effectively to many toxic substances and will loose it's effect if it's fully saturated by the liquid alcohol. Drinking water is perfectly ok.

Do not drink and drive. I don't really care if a person kills him or herself while driving intoxicated. It's the other people in the accident who count.

Blood tests are reliable, breath tests are not so much. Breath tests are still used in the western world to give an indication to go for the blood test done by an medical doctor.

While the breath test are still used in here (I suppose without blood test confirmation), there is always ways to get around it with simple methods.

In case of an emergency when a person have gone out drinking and got one too many, simple pharmacy charcoal can reduce the amount of impurities in the breath (which is what the alcometers measure).  Couple of active charcoal tablets from the pharmacy helps a lot. The trick is to chew the tablets well with some salt and eat those 1 hour before taking the breath test. That's most likely before exiting from the bar. After eating the tablets one should not drink anything which contains alcohol as the active charcoal binds effectively to many toxic substances and will loose it's effect if it's fully saturated by the liquid alcohol. Drinking water is perfectly ok. 

Do not drink and drive. I don't really care if a person kills him or herself while driving intoxicated. It's the other people in the accident who count. 

Have you tested this theory? I wouldnt mind giving it a go. Is there anywhere in Phuket one can purchase a breath analyzer?

Have you tested this theory? I wouldnt mind giving it a go. Is there anywhere in Phuket one can purchase a breath analyzer?

No I haven't and it does not likely work. I just thought of speeding up incoming Karma.

Now imagine a person who has been drinking and driving the next morning. Horrible hangover, mouth painted black and ass giving a hard time. That should be more effective punishment than small fines from the BIB.