Dog-Meat Mafia: Inside Thailand's Smuggling Trade

webfact

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's reprehensible to make this into a moral issue. Please save your emotional energy for humans that are traffic victims or starving and in need of medical care or basic housing. There is not enough money in the world to "Save the Dogs". A rational approach(as opposed to an emotional one) would be to regulate the profitable exploitation of another source of protein.

there's plenty of money to go around,but where is it? havent you noticed the fill your pocket brigade,they only help themselves.

• Like 1

I think it's reprehensible to make this into a moral issue. Please save your emotional energy for humans that are traffic victims or starving and in need of medical care or basic housing. There is not enough money in the world to "Save the Dogs". A rational approach(as opposed to an emotional one) would be to regulate the profitable exploitation of another source of protein.

there's plenty of money to go around,but where is it? havent you noticed the fill your pocket brigade,they only help themselves.

I like your user name and avatar, kind of blends right into this topic.

Stealing family pets is just too scummy for words.

Bastards.

yes i dont like that ......BUT i hope they pick up all the strays in the sois ...they r getting uncontrollable and its amazing how many people r getting bit every day ..the average thai refuses to take responsibility for their animals ...the sheer numbers r getting out of hand ...

Some figures:

This threads OP: 200,000 dogs every year being exported = 548/day

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/640287-need-people-urgently-to-help-dogs-rescued-from-the-meat-trade/#entry6419758 : estimated 50,000 dogs over the past five or more years neutered/steralised by the various charities = 27/day

While not condoning the eating of dog meat or the way dogs are treated or slaughtered for this trade it does seem to me to be doing a far better job at reducing Thailand's stray & soi dog population than that being done by the charities.

If this dog meat trade is stopped what is going to replace it? If nothing is done to replace the removal of 200,000 dogs per year from Thailand's streets then I foresee an increase in the stray/soi dog population of huge numbers.

• Like 2

A dog truck came by here two days ago. They were piled on top of each other. I'm sure some were already dead. The lady across the street sold her two year old male dog for B200. They threw him in the back of the truck and went on their way.

and you didn't shoot her?or at least let her know how yuou felt?

the difference is that humans can react, fight back, get help, animals don't have that luxury!

• Like 1

the difference is that humans can react, fight back, get help, animals don't have that luxury!

The dogs that attacked that young Cambodian boy on a Rayong beach some days ago sure reacted. The boy fought back, got help from his father and a passing farang and has luckily survived. I hope those dogs don't have the luxury of seeing another sunrise.

A dog truck came by here two days ago. They were piled on top of each other. I'm sure some were already dead. The lady across the street sold her two year old male dog for B200. They threw him in the back of the truck and went on their way.

and you didn't shoot her?or at least let her know how yuou felt?

Pimay1 has not shown how he/she felt but merely reported an incident.

Go to Sakon Nakhon.  Dog meat is sold at all the markets

I rather drop a bomb there instead, and those people that are still alive I can always skinn alive just for fun!!
Why is that?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm still waiting for a reply or some sort of explanation to why you would "bomb" a market place in Sakon.

This just a rehash of a rehash.

I wrote from within Queen Viet Bee's own village on this subject just the other day on the Pets section and perhaps our beloved moderators might see fit to repeat it here as this is clearly a burning topic, no matter what side you stand on this issue.

I wrote it full well knowing that my time in the vilage was over for several reasons - the main one being I could not tolerate how they treated their own invalid elderly - and am now safely esconced in a hotel in BKK.

Dog napping is just another arm of the extensive OCG activity throughout SE Asia and beyond.

ASEAN wil make it easier as the border controls come down and they can drive freely in day time over thier pretty Friendship Bridges. What will the border authorities and Nakhon Phanom police do for its income then?

Just like veal in Europe we need some activists to protest at all the obvious illegal smuggling points such as Bang Phaeng - unlike Europe the smugglers will respond with bullets.

Glad to leave this one behind as I came here for a new life and leave defeated and downcast.

Best wishes all

Stephen Wright

aka tamesisfwp

i have seen this problem for over 30yrs.and no goverment in thailand will lift one finger to do anything to help rectify the problem,being a lover of dogs i am not against having dogs put to sleep if they are diseased or are to old to be rehoused,but to suffer the way they do before being eaten is barbaric,when they say oh they wont do that its against buddists beliefs,i lost all respect for this when stopped many times by monks asking for money even when you give to them they ask for more.as a life has very little value in thailand i am afraid the dog problem will never be solved.over 50% of dogs living close to me have no life at all,in 3yrs.i have seen many die people dont care has long as they have that new pick up or car in the drive nothing else matters.its a disgrace that we have to help with financeing [soi dog] who are doing a great job when people in this country have front rooms full of money.shame on you.

• Like 1

Go to Sakon Nakhon. Dog meat is sold at all the markets

I rather drop a bomb there instead, and those people that are still alive I can always skinn alive just for fun!!

And how does that make you any better than a dog torturer/butcher?

I'm a dog lover, not a people person!! And the best way to learn grown ups right from wrong, is to let them taste their own medicin. Beside most of this dogs are smartare and could be to use in eldery home/police system/children hospital/army/seeking/for people with handicap or as a family member. How much good are their kidnappare/butcher capable to do in their lifetime?? Hmmmm, why shouldn't I wish them dead? /-I

Go to Sakon Nakhon.  Dog meat is sold at all the markets

I'm a dog lover, not a people person!! And the best way to learn grown ups right from wrong, is to let them taste their own medicin. Beside most of this dogs are smartare and could be to use in eldery home/police system/children hospital/army/seeking/for people with handicap or as a family member. How much good are their kidnappare/butcher capable to do in their lifetime?? Hmmmm, why shouldn't I wish them dead? /-I

So you would drop a bomb on a market where they sell dog meat?

This a a daft comment to make.

legalizing it would prevent some of the suffering because the trade could then be regulated with rules such as - only genuine strays allowed etc... also the dogs could be checked for disease at the borders before moving on to the slaughter house. Also Thailand could become a HUB for dog meat processing & export.

Likewise how much good does a stray dog do in its lifetime; urinating and defecating in areas that the public go; biting people; spreading disease; killing people; causing traffic accidents etc. etc? I would say no stray dog could be used in eldery home/police system/children hospital/army/seeking/for people with handicap. Dogs in all those positions are generally of specific breeds, bred as such and trained from a very young age. Hmmmmmmm, why shouldn't people wish them dead? This is a people planet not a dog planet. You might be happier living on Sirrus. Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

From a report dated 2009. Up to 300,000 strays are estimated to roam the city's streets (Bangkok), and dog bites are among the most common injuries treated in the emergency departments of the city's hospitals.

Following is a link from National Geographic that provides more depth on the issue of Soi dogs. One of the quotes is from SCAD that I understand ceased operations in 06/2012 due to lack of cash flow (donations) and not being able to agree merger T&C's with Soi Dog Foundation.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/06/090608-thailand-straydogs-video-ap.html

In transit, conditions for the animals are horrendous. The dogs are loaded by the hundreds onto open-sided trucks, starving and dehydrated, and stacked on top of each other, suffering from bite wounds and broken bones some even dying en route.

Make it legal. License companies that want to do this trade. Enforce laws concerning transportation/slaughtering of the animals.

Hang on, this is Thailand. Forget all that.

First paragraph makes sense, C0w, sheep pig, chicken etc perfectly ok to slaughter, why not Dogs? treated in the same way as the others and slaughtered humanely, (is there a humane way to slaughter anything)

Likewise how much good does a stray dog do in its lifetime; urinating and defecating in areas that the public go; biting people; spreading disease; killing people; causing traffic accidents etc. etc? I would say no stray dog could be used in eldery home/police system/children hospital/army/seeking/for people with handicap. Dogs in all those positions are generally of specific breeds, bred as such and trained from a very young age. Hmmmmmmm, why shouldn't people wish them dead? This is a people planet not a dog planet. You might be happier living on Sirrus.

"You might be happier living on Sirrus.'

You can't be Sirius sir!

She might be better off here :http://www.k-9planet.com/

With all due respect to the various charitable organizations in Thailand sterilizing and vaccinating stray dogs the situation IMO has gone way past where they can be relied upon to provide a solution. We do not rely upon charitable organizations to provide us with garbage disposal; footpaths; traffic signals; pedestrian crossings etc. Local and central governments provide these to increase our living standards, health and safety. Charitable organizations can only supplement, not control, how we decide to deal with the ever increasing stray dog problem.

Some of you will no doubt not see the stray dog population as a problem. To those I say go tell it to the young Cambodian boy who was attacked on a Rayong beach. Ask the mother of the 3-year-old child that was killed by stray dogs in Pattaya, July 2012. Ask the thousands of people who visit our public hospitals each year after they have been bitten. See if any of those will agree with you that Thailand does not have a problem with stray dogs. You might argue that the accident/death rate is small. So it is for drunk driving yet Thailand is trying to educate, legislate, and enforce against that.

Bangkok has at least made some inroads with its compulsory chipping, sterilization and registering of dogs in the capital. But has it worked? I cannot tell I don't live there. Whatever the situation is now it surely can't be worse than if all those measures hadn't taken place. Isn't it time to implement the same or similar in other cites around the country.

If the number of strays decrease so will this trade on strays for dog meat.

Edited by Keesters

Likewise how much good does a stray dog do in its lifetime; urinating and defecating in areas that the public go; biting people; spreading disease; killing people; causing traffic accidents etc. etc? I would say no stray dog could be used in eldery home/police system/children hospital/army/seeking/for people with handicap. Dogs in all those positions are generally of specific breeds, bred as such and trained from a very young age. Hmmmmmmm, why shouldn't people wish them dead? This is a people planet not a dog planet. You might be happier living on Sirrus.

"You might be happier living on Sirrus.'

You can't be Sirius sir!

She might be better off here :http://www.k-9planet.com/

oops...slip of the pen/keyboard. Anyway either place will do.

With all due respect to the various charitable organizations in Thailand sterilizing and vaccinating stray dogs the situation IMO has gone way past where they can be relied upon to provide a solution. We do not rely upon charitable organizations to provide us with garbage disposal; footpaths; traffic signals; pedestrian crossings etc. Local and central governments provide these to increase our living standards, health and safety. Charitable organizations can only supplement, not control, how we decide to deal with the ever increasing stray dog problem.

Some of you will no doubt not see the stray dog population as a problem. To those I say go tell it to the young Cambodian boy who was attacked on a Rayong beach. Ask the mother of the 3-year-old child that was killed by stray dogs in Pattaya, July 2012. Ask the thousands of people who visit our public hospitals each year after they have been bitten. See if any of those will agree with you that Thailand does not have a problem with stray dogs. You might argue that the accident/death rate is small. So it is for drunk driving yet Thailand is trying to educate, legislate, and enforce against that.

Bangkok has at least made some inroads with its compulsory chipping, sterilization and registering of dogs in the capital. But has it worked? I cannot tell I don't live there. Whatever the situation is now it surely can't be worse than if all those measures hadn't taken place. Isn't it time to implement the same or similar in other cites around the country.

Those infrastructure things you speak of are the responsibility of the government and not international charities. Taxes are to pay for footpaths etc.

They could gladly come to Hua Hin and clean out all the Soi dogs around my house. It's so bad some times I have to carry a stick walking down the road.

Oh no....I can hear the bleeding hearts already. coffee1.gif

I do carry a stick in my street where a dog has bitten me just 2 weeks ago while the "owner" was watching. Then a woman chalenged me why I carry a stick in "her" street when it's so safe. If you know some of the good dog mafia people, let me know, and if you know somebody from the human trafficking branch, they can send the owners to Liberia. The owners cause all thi crapp, not the dogs.

Those infrastructure things you speak of are the responsibility of the government and not international charities. Taxes are to pay for footpaths etc.
Which is EXACTLY what I said......"We do not rely upon charitable organizations to provide us with" ... "Local and central governments provide these"

please reread and make a sensible comment if you have one.....

Edited by Keesters

First, I thank you for replying to me though I would say that two wrongs don't make a right. If you go into the business of teaching people lessons, I don't think you will make much progress with the methods you suggest. Most of the soi dog I have met one-on-one are doing no harm to anyone but when they get into groups a phenomenon, distinct among canines, take over and you get 'pack mentality'. Packs of dogs can be dangerous. Another observation I have made of soi dogs is that nearly every one has mange or some other skin condition as they are constantly scratching and gnawing on themselves. They most probably have fleas and worms, also. They are certainly malnourished as all I have ever seen put out for them is rice. This cannot be a condition anyone who cares about dogs or any living being can be proud of. Bombing people and skinning the survivors alive may give you some satisfaction but will do nothing to alleviate the problem of feral soi dogs. I hope you at least agree that sickly, malnourished, and unwanted/uncared for dogs roaming the streets, defecating anywhere, is a problem. One solution would be to have all PETS wear a tag that proves their latest rabies vaccination and owner's name, address, and phone so it can be returned, with a fine, if found wandering loose. I think there is adequate supply of young, clean dogs for the uses you mentioned in your last post as diseased, feral dogs may be too expensive to rehabilitate for those purposes. As for the unwanted/uncared for, feral dogs, put a bounty for live capture of all loose dogs where they will be kept at a clean facility for up to two weeks, fed, bathed, treated for mange and worms and if they are adopted, then vaccinated and neutered/spayed. If, at the end of the two weeks they have not been claimed or adopted, humanely euthanize them. Please, if you have a better suggestion or improvements to mine, I would like to read them. Dogs in my care have always been treated as valuable members of society but are not allowed the freedom of a human because they are not responsible enough. Before you say it, yes, there are people who are not responsible enough to be free also. BTW the, non-dog, butchers I know put their kids through school and meat on my table.

They could gladly come to Hua Hin and clean out all the Soi dogs around my house. It's so bad some times I have to carry a stick walking down the road.

Oh no....I can hear the bleeding hearts already. coffee1.gif

I do carry a stick in my street where a dog has bitten me just 2 weeks ago while the "owner" was watching. Then a woman chalenged me why I carry a stick in "her" street when it's so safe. If you know some of the good dog mafia people, let me know, and if you know somebody from the human trafficking branch, they can send the owners to Liberia. The owners cause all thi crapp, not the dogs.
I carry a stick while out walking with or without my leashed dog. It offers some protection not only against stray dogs but muggers both which I consider a nuisance.