Dog-Meat Mafia: Inside Thailand's Smuggling Trade

webfact

I'm also a dog lover but there's no denying that some soi/stray dogs are bloody annoying/dangerous.

It's difficult to tell if the dog actually belongs to anyone therefore it's hard to point the finger.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am personally not against eating dog. What has the poor cow, the pig done wrong? Is my favourite question in that context. From what I am told, in Vietnam they elevate dogs specifically for meat, these dogs get special food and are being kept correctly. There are even hi-price restaurants specializing on dog meat. But these are stray dogs from the street, full of disease, that nobody in his right mind would want to eat. Why is everything in Thailand always so low? Viets are proud and can become rather aggressive too if their rules are violated. Here you pay your way out of everything. Is that what Buddhism does to the morality of people, as opposed to Communism...?

From my experience Communism does nothing for morality either. Did you see the tragic story in Beijing of the young 3 year old girl who got run over by a car and 15 people walked around her as she lay crying and bleeding in the road? She got run over for a second time and sadly died,, totally avoidable and terribly tragic. One of the interviewed locals said "we have all lost our moral compass". In my experience of living and working in China for some years communism teaches you to keep yourself to yourself and not get involved in anything that doesn't concern you. I think Thai people treat each other and foreigners with respect (if you show them appropriate courtesy as a guest) and they have a clear moral standing, it's simply that there are poor people in this developing country and when money is tight people come first.

Going to China in the morning from OZ, working there for 5 months. This is my second trip, yes they teach you mind your own business and do not get involved. Vietnam was much friendlier and the people were much warmer and welcoming. More people speak English in Vietnam than Thailand. The food is excellent too. Crack down on animal cruelty no matter what the animal.

i have seen this problem for over 30yrs.and no goverment in thailand will lift one finger to do anything to help rectify the problem,being a lover of dogs i am not against having dogs put to sleep if they are diseased or are to old to be rehoused,but to suffer the way they do before being eaten is barbaric,when they say oh they wont do that its against buddists beliefs,i lost all respect for this when stopped many times by monks asking for money even when you give to them they ask for more.as a life has very little value in thailand i am afraid the dog problem will never be solved.over 50% of dogs living close to me have no life at all,in 3yrs.i have seen many die people dont care has long as they have that new pick up or car in the drive nothing else matters.its a disgrace that we have to help with financeing [soi dog] who are doing a great job when people in this country have front rooms full of money.shame on you.

I have given as much or more thought to the dog problem than most, as I too deal with sick and injured as much as I can. The issue will never be one for the Thai government. As you well know, in Western countries, dog control is managed locally. by City and District councils. There is a regime of bi-laws, which deals with licences, registrations, collars, strays etc. The same will need to be the case here. I am preparing to present a suggested program where I am, will be endorsed by Thai citizens including a couple of vets. If we can get even just one Thai city council to face the task and implement law, it will be a start. Then it can be show cased to others as something to be aspired to. (We know how Thais love to show off, and hate to be shamed.)

The city council here come around every year to give rabies shots, and they take every dog they see, not only the family pets. With this measure concern as a starting point, it can be expanded upon to start a program of sterilisation. This will slow down the dog population growth.

Anything is possible, and the 1000 mile journey begins with the first step.

Edited by TechnikaIII
  • Like 2

This story was on the Australia Network last night, shown across the asia/pacific region.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australianetworknews/newsline/

Probably the worst report I have ever viewed. The lady - Gill Dalley - is a heroine for what she's been through and continues to do. Good luck to her and her husband.

However, I still believe legalising, controlling and monitoring the trade is the way to go.

I wish these guys would come around my house. There are like two truckloads of dogs behind my apartment. Anybody have a number for them?

Have you read anything about what's going on?

old lady in our village said today to many dogs in the village ,when she was young tigers came to eat them ,

I expect everyday her Husband went out hunting Tigers toolaugh.png ? a=b =?

• Like 2

This story was on the Australia Network last night, shown across the asia/pacific region.

Probably the worst report I have ever viewed. The lady - Gill Dalley - is a heroine for what she's been through and continues to do. Good luck to her and her husband.

However, I still believe legalising, controlling and monitoring the trade is the way to go.

Where I live, Dog meat is eaten regularly and a black dog is especially prized. I,ve eaten it a few times and thought I was eating Pork Curry.

Really?

And what should we call the form of government then?

Here's a definition from Wiki., fairly straightforward.

The PRC is a single-party state governed by the Communist Party, with its seat of government in the capital city of Beijing.

Straightfoward, but not accurate.

It's totalitarian consumer capitalism, similar to Singapore. So the government calls itself communist? By that logic, is North Korea a democracy? Was East Germany? Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

legalizing it would prevent some of the suffering because the trade could then be regulated with rules such as - only genuine strays allowed etc... also the dogs could be checked for disease at the borders before moving on to the slaughter house. Also Thailand could become a HUB for dog meat processing & export.

Good Idea...but here in Thailand I can just imagine how many ways the new rules and regulations and laws would get broken and corrupted and then there would be a scandal of some kind for sure. ( "Brazen Dogs" Fight Back and Eat Man )

The Thais are amongst the most clever of corrupters and always the deviates.

30 years ago the world was shocked by the way they rounded up dogs in the Philippines and how they kept them and how they butchered them also...and actually ate the poor little creatures...barf, barf

Nasty stuff, while that caught the attention of the international news and then most of the other countries in the world protested and let the Philippines government know the world is watching and does not approve.

Maybe the issue needs some serious international press coverage for about 6 months or more.

Usually the perpetrators scatter when the lime light is cast upon them.

• Like 1

For those who are sick of the soi dog problem in Thailand and wish that dog hunters would come to their community and take all of them away, dogs are not the problem, people are. These dogs didn't just wander into the community, the people in your community adopted them and turned them loose without medical care or proper food. Even if you don't have an issue with eating dog, very often (or all of the time) a large percentage of the dogs don't survive the trip to their destination suffocating during the trip. Then when it is time for slaughter, all too often they are skinned alive as there is a belief that this makes the meat more tender. A horrific end for an animal that was domesticated to be a companion for people. How can anyone agree that any animal should be treated like this?

As you see the heartless non thinking posters are posting.

Thai dogs HATE farrangs intruding into their way of life on the streets---how dare farrangs tell us THAI's to be exterminated, half of them here on an extended drinking holiday---biggrin.png

As usual, your twisted little Thai brain has it all wrong Ginjag!

I am Farang.

I love dogs and Thai dogs love me.

Even unloved , abused, Soi dogs come up to me , tails wagging and show affection.

Dogs are a great judge of character.

If you are evil, they know it and show it.

What are you even doing here Ginjag?

Wouldn't you be happier on a "I'm Thai and hate Farang" website?

Your inferiority problem shows in all your posts.

Like me, I bet dogs don't like you either! cowboy.gif

• Like 1

Why do you think the Thai Government care about a few Dogs, Look they spend milions on pandas, building them Air conditioned pens and cages, Yet cannot spend much on protecting there own indigenous animal, The Elephant.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

They could gladly come to Hua Hin and clean out all the Soi dogs around my house. It's so bad some times I have to carry a stick walking down the road.

Oh no....I can hear the bleeding hearts already. coffee1.gif

ITT: Fake machismo.

Cruelty to animals is the lowest form of cowardice.

Humans are the most destructive animals on this planet, so in the terms of justice, where should we stand in the scheme of things?

I agree, I dislike the easy option cowardice demonstrated here. . . . I followed the most useful post and donated to soidogs. Too many of us sit around postulating our egos and bleating the meat . . . Some people "actually " do something about it.

Hey hobiecat go have another beer and complain to some other negative git that will listen to you . . . and keep your useless, negative, unimaginative, destructive and elitist ideas to yourself. One day the boot may be on the other foot.

I so agree with you, way to many people just sit around getting shitfaced, complaining about things, they could actually be a part of the solution, doing some walking the walk instead of bitching all the time about Thailand, it's people, dogs, but they just stay here only exercising their mouths...Get off the porch, reach out, help, get some inner-wealth for doing some good. Donate some time or coin to get dogs spayed or a decent shelter, where they can be cleaned up, adopted or humanly put down, If all the gripers pulled together, I'm quite sure they could make a difference for their area and get some reconnection for contributing, making Thailand a better place for all, stranger things have happened...

It wasn't thai reporting so probably not up to standard.

As a rule Thais open the gate let the dogs run, take a crap, feed them, go work, come home open the gate, let them run, take a crap, chase cars, terrorise the moobhan and lock them up to bark all night.

If the dogs are outside the gate not on a leash. It's fair game. Does anyone know a Thai who genuinely loves their dog? In that, I mean elevate them above the maid or gardener?

If you see a gate in any rural area, it's a farrang house, or upper class Thai. Otherwise maybe they just have a gate and no fence or wall surround,laugh.png . but mostly you are spot on.

My experience is if the dog is cared for, USUALLY it is owned by persons with money, having said that there are farmers that care for their dogs, and take them everywhere on the tuk tuk (farm vehicle).

For those who are sick of the soi dog problem in Thailand and wish that dog hunters would come to their community and take all of them away, dogs are not the problem, people are. These dogs didn't just wander into the community, the people in your community adopted them and turned them loose without medical care or proper food. Even if you don't have an issue with eating dog, very often (or all of the time) a large percentage of the dogs don't survive the trip to their destination suffocating during the trip. Then when it is time for slaughter, all too often they are skinned alive as there is a belief that this makes the meat more tender. A horrific end for an animal that was domesticated to be a companion for people. How can anyone agree that any animal should be treated like this?

As you see the heartless non thinking posters are posting.

Thai dogs HATE farrangs intruding into their way of life on the streets---how dare farrangs tell us THAI's to be exterminated, half of them here on an extended drinking holiday---biggrin.png

As usual, your twisted little Thai brain has it all wrong Ginjag!

I am Farang.

I love dogs and Thai dogs love me.

Even unloved , abused, Soi dogs come up to me , tails wagging and show affection.

Dogs are a great judge of character.

If you are evil, they know it and show it.

What are you even doing here Ginjag?

Wouldn't you be happier on a "I'm Thai and hate Farang" website?

Your inferiority problem shows in all your posts.

Like me, I bet dogs don't like you either! cowboy.gif

Me twisted 555, I have 7 dogs from rescued from temples etc,

INFERIORITY problem shows in all my posts-- so my 3000+ posts are all bad???

You have a problem clearly, my 2 cats are house only and all are loved. your attitude is not nice, even when you don't know me.

As for what am I doing here, not your business if you were nicer I may tell you.

We are here to comment on posts NOT be nasty to others,

They could gladly come to Hua Hin and clean out all the Soi dogs around my house. It's so bad some times I have to carry a stick walking down the road.

I agree fully , Pattaya is also crawling with packs of wild dogs

I think it's reprehensible to make this into a moral issue. Please save your emotional energy for humans that are traffic victims or starving and in need of medical care or basic housing. There is not enough money in the world to "Save the Dogs". A rational approach(as opposed to an emotional one) would be to regulate the profitable exploitation of another source of protein.

OP post is about dog meat trade if you want a debate open new topic about human trafficking, this topic for dogs thread as OP states.offtopic.gif

Reminds me of statements,

I got told from the early 40is of last century in some European countries, from people called N.... about people called J... blink.png

Let's be honest do you really think Thais give a xxxx about dogs being butchered, especially when they can make money. Considering that the Thais will even stoop as low as using endangered animals to make money they certainly won't care about dogs lives if there's coin to be made.

Endangered Animals Being Exploited in Thai Tourism

Visit a Animal clinic same I frequently did in Khon Kaen. All Thais should not be lumped together! It has, not so few, dog lovers in this country! whistling.gif

I am personally not against eating dog. What has the poor cow, the pig done wrong? Is my favourite question in that context. From what I am told, in Vietnam they elevate dogs specifically for meat, these dogs get special food and are being kept correctly. There are even hi-price restaurants specializing on dog meat. But these are stray dogs from the street, full of disease, that nobody in his right mind would want to eat. Why is everything in Thailand always so low? Viets are proud and can become rather aggressive too if their rules are violated. Here you pay your way out of everything. Is that what Buddhism does to the morality of people, as opposed to Communism...?

Yes,there are dog farms for producing dogs for dog meat, but that meat is much more expensive, understandable, not? The dog has to eat for 8, 10 month, or a year!

So who wants cheaper dog meat, takes the strays, catched, sold for a piece of plastic ect! bah.gif

I love dogs - but I couldn't eat a full one. Send the Mafia round here - I'd pay them to take most of the local dogs away.

Big mouth! I bet you never ate a dog in your life and I doubt you will, if I invite you to a dog meat meal.

Send me a PM and we can discuss where I can pay you that special dish! I am near Sakhon Nakhon, has dog meat restaurants there.

We can afterwards post the Video on You Tube and Thaivisa! rolleyes.gif

Iv'e been in Issan for one & a half years & never seen any vans coming around & grabbing the Dogs, there are so many scabby strays around that will bite you as soon as look at you, (so you have to go to the local hospital & pay anything up to 3000 Bhts for your anti-rabies course) I think that the goverment should pay dog catchers to catch any dog without a collar & sell them to Vietnam, they are a menace.....

There had been a lot of "Dog Pick Ups" driving around Isaan, before you started your Isaan career!

They seem to hide now there movements, possible also less.

I am in Isan since 15 years! The first sight I saw at that time, after I got the rent-car from Khon Kaen airport, was a full loaded "Dog Pick Up".

I heard him first, loud howling and barking, before I saw him at a junction.

Dog catchers, snatched 4 of my dogs in the years! Always in the wee hours! blink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Down my way it would be suicide to try and venture out at night on foot, because the packs of Soi dogs will attack passers by. Even on motorbike I have often had to risk life and limb by having to speed along at full throttle being pursued by packs of dogs aiming for my legs, some quite big, including Rottweiler mix breed of dogs, and have arrived home with my heart pounding.

Drive a car! tongue.png

I listen to dogs barking ,howling all night, within a few hundred metres of our house I can count 30 to 40 scummy looking dogs that live on the streets. Even the pets are not taken care of, they stink and are covered in sores, they are bred constantly in the hope of selling the pups(making money) but most end up on the streets. There is no licencing laws here, in Australia you are only allowed a couple of dogs per house unless you are a licensed breeder and all dogs over 6 months need to be registered. If your dog is found wandering in the streets you are fined, if it attacks people you cop a huge fine and the dog is put down, they have to be on leashes outside the properties and if they bark too much you also are fined(you also have to remove/pick up their crap from the public areas if you take them outside your property), in other words you are held responsible for your pets. That does not apply here, I have had many dogs over the years and I like dogs but what we have in Thailand is bullshit, unless the govt does something about it or make people responsible this to me is one way of controlling them all, either that or they start to catch and destroy any strays on the streets.

Australia is much better, with all the restrictions and laws! Why not stay there!

Why stay in, "Thailand is bullshit"? Please not import all your countless laws! bah.gif

I love dogs, but I've to agree that all stray dogs in Thailand would better be killed (and possibly be eaten, if found healthy before killing). Of course they should be killed in a painless way.

Because people give food to the stray dogs, the dogs don't die.

- The dogs spread diseases and parasites.

- The dogs can bite and are dangerous for children.

- The dogs cause a lot of traffic accidents.

- The dogs are not sterile and each couple gives birth to 20 or more new dogs of which most rather quickly die a miserable way.

If today government would kill all the stray dogs, tens of millions of dogs wouldn't have to die a miserable dead in the next 10 years.

-kriswillems- You write "I love dogs" I doubt that, reading your posting! sad.png

Stealing family pets is just too scummy for words.

Bastards.

They wouldn't need to steal family pets if they came to Pattaya. There's homeless (feral) dogs by the tonne on every street. Perhaps they're looking for more well feed dogs?

Yes, that is why they stole 4 dogs I fed, over the years! sad.png