Dog-Meat Mafia: Inside Thailand's Smuggling Trade

webfact

Dog-Meat Mafia: Inside Thailand's Smuggling Trade
By Craig Skehan

BANGKOK: -- Thai authorities are struggling to stop dogs from being stolen and smuggled to northern Vietnam, where one million dogs are eaten each year.

Stray dogs and pets are being illegally snatched, bought, or even bartered for household items, then smuggled to Vietnam, where they are sold, butchered and eaten.

With bribery at border checkpoints, apathy in the transit country of Laos, and northern Vietnam’s appetite for one million dogs a year, Thai authorities are struggling to stop an estimated 200,000 dogs every year being exported alive in this international racket.

Smugglers pay helpers, often poor farmers, to comb rural areas and towns, buying dogs, grabbing strays or stealing pets.

Dogs are collected throughout the northeast of Thailand, then taken to holding pens in the provinces of Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan.

In transit, conditions for the animals are horrendous. The dogs are loaded by the hundreds onto open-sided trucks, starving and dehydrated, and stacked on top of each other, suffering from bite wounds and broken bones — some even dying en route.

Full story: http://www.theglobalmail.org/feature/dog-meat-mafia-inside-thailands-smuggling-trade/616/

-- THE GLOBAL MAIL 2013-05-20

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A dog truck came by here two days ago. They were piled on top of each other. I'm sure some were already dead. The lady across the street sold her two year old male dog for B200. They threw him in the back of the truck and went on their way.

• Like 1

out of all the posts to date the one thing missing---POLICE. if known pickps are running around local areas, everyone sees them,

Big effort to stop this is NOT just at the border posts it IS in local areas. Police take the dogs to a pound--confiscate the pick-up and heavily fine the( Bar-stewards.). stopping the collection stops the trade. UNLESS some big wig again is in the monkey---oh sorry DOG business.

• Like 2

They could gladly come to Hua Hin and clean out all the Soi dogs around my house. It's so bad some times I have to carry a stick walking down the road.

Oh no....I can hear the bleeding hearts already. coffee1.gif

If it's that bad get a condo??? no dogs--and the book in your name---killing 2 birds with 1 stone----Yes your right it's NOT my business.

• Like 1

I listen to dogs barking ,howling all night, within a few hundred metres of our house I can count 30 to 40 scummy looking dogs that live on the streets. Even the pets are not taken care of, they stink and are covered in sores, they are bred constantly in the hope of selling the pups(making money) but most end up on the streets. There is no licencing laws here, in Australia you are only allowed a couple of dogs per house unless you are a licensed breeder and all dogs over 6 months need to be registered. If your dog is found wandering in the streets you are fined, if it attacks people you cop a huge fine and the dog is put down, they have to be on leashes outside the properties and if they bark too much you also are fined(you also have to remove/pick up their crap from the public areas if you take them outside your property), in other words you are held responsible for your pets. That does not apply here, I have had many dogs over the years and I like dogs but what we have in Thailand is bullshit, unless the govt does something about it or make people responsible this to me is one way of controlling them all, either that or they start to catch and destroy any strays on the streets.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2