Dog-Meat Mafia: Inside Thailand's Smuggling Trade

webfact

I listen to dogs barking ,howling all night, within a few hundred metres of our house I can count 30 to 40 scummy looking dogs that live on the streets. Even the pets are not taken care of, they stink and are covered in sores, they are bred constantly in the hope of selling the pups(making money) but most end up on the streets. There is no licencing laws here, in Australia you are only allowed a couple of dogs per house unless you are a licensed breeder and all dogs over 6 months need to be registered. If your dog is found wandering in the streets you are fined, if it attacks people you cop a huge fine and the dog is put down, they have to be on leashes outside the properties and if they bark too much you also are fined(you also have to remove/pick up their crap from the public areas if you take them outside your property), in other words you are held responsible for your pets. That does not apply here, I have had many dogs over the years and I like dogs but what we have in Thailand is bullshit, unless the govt does something about it or make people responsible this to me is one way of controlling them all, either that or they start to catch and destroy any strays on the streets.

Australia is much better, with all the restrictions and laws! Why not stay there!

Why stay in, "Thailand is bullshit"? Please not import all your countless laws! bah.gif

Australian laws for domestic dogs would be most welcome here. Please import that one.biggrin.png

• Like 2

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story was on the Australia Network last night, shown across the asia/pacific region.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australianetworknews/newsline/

Probably the worst report I have ever viewed. The lady - Gill Dalley - is a heroine for what she's been through and continues to do. Good luck to her and her husband.

However, I still believe legalising, controlling and monitoring the trade is the way to go.

Where I live, Dog meat is eaten regularly and a black dog is especially prized. I,ve eaten it a few times and thought I was eating Pork Curry.

Enlighten me, where is that place you live? blink.png

I love dogs and Thai dogs love me.

Even unloved , abused, Soi dogs come up to me , tails wagging and show affection.

Dogs are a great judge of character.

If you are evil, they know it and show it.

cowboy.gif

Yes, you put my opinion in good words! thumbsup.gif

For those who are sick of the soi dog problem in Thailand and wish that dog hunters would come to their community and take all of them away, dogs are not the problem, people are. These dogs didn't just wander into the community, the people in your community adopted them and turned them loose without medical care or proper food. Even if you don't have an issue with eating dog, very often (or all of the time) a large percentage of the dogs don't survive the trip to their destination suffocating during the trip. Then when it is time for slaughter, all too often they are skinned alive as there is a belief that this makes the meat more tender. A horrific end for an animal that was domesticated to be a companion for people. How can anyone agree that any animal should be treated like this?

As you see the heartless non thinking posters are posting.

Thai dogs HATE farrangs intruding into their way of life on the streets---how dare farrangs tell us THAI's to be exterminated, half of them here on an extended drinking holiday---biggrin.png

As usual, your twisted little Thai brain has it all wrong Ginjag!

I am Farang.

I love dogs and Thai dogs love me.

Even unloved , abused, Soi dogs come up to me , tails wagging and show affection.

Dogs are a great judge of character.

If you are evil, they know it and show it.

What are you even doing here Ginjag?

Wouldn't you be happier on a "I'm Thai and hate Farang" website?

Your inferiority problem shows in all your posts.

Like me, I bet dogs don't like you either! cowboy.gif

well said willy,our dog to is a good judge of character he talks to every body except 2 that live by me,i got no time for them and gets the same vibes.oh the 2 are thai's.

watching the news this morning about the tornado that hit oklahoma,100 people found alive by rescue teams and their dogs,also 2 people interviewed said they saw it coming and thought this is it we held our dogs tight and hoped for the best priceless.i wonder how many blind people in thailand have guide dogs in 30yrs.i have never seen one.i know what a guide dog his to someone who is blind my mother was 80% blind but she had a cocker spaniel who was her eyes and never left her side,penny lived for 15yrs.and what i can remember she was loyal till the end.as there is very little value on life here this i am afraid and what is happening will go on deaf ears.[and yes you can get a dog who will act as your hearing].

Stealing family pets is just too scummy for words.

Bastards.

They wouldn't need to steal family pets if they came to Pattaya. There's homeless (feral) dogs by the tonne on every street. Perhaps they're looking for more well feed dogs?

Yes, that is why they stole 4 dogs I fed, over the years! sad.png

Next time don't just feed them - give them a home too.

• Like 1

i have seen this problem for over 30yrs.and no goverment in thailand will lift one finger to do anything to help rectify the problem,being a lover of dogs i am not against having dogs put to sleep if they are diseased or are to old to be rehoused,but to suffer the way they do before being eaten is barbaric,when they say oh they wont do that its against buddists beliefs,i lost all respect for this when stopped many times by monks asking for money even when you give to them they ask for more.as a life has very little value in thailand i am afraid the dog problem will never be solved.over 50% of dogs living close to me have no life at all,in 3yrs.i have seen many die people dont care has long as they have that new pick up or car in the drive nothing else matters.its a disgrace that we have to help with financeing [soi dog] who are doing a great job when people in this country have front rooms full of money.shame on you.

I have given as much or more thought to the dog problem than most, as I too deal with sick and injured as much as I can. The issue will never be one for the Thai government. As you well know, in Western countries, dog control is managed locally. by City and District councils. There is a regime of bi-laws, which deals with licences, registrations, collars, strays etc. The same will need to be the case here. I am preparing to present a suggested program where I am, will be endorsed by Thai citizens including a couple of vets. If we can get even just one Thai city council to face the task and implement law, it will be a start. Then it can be show cased to others as something to be aspired to. (We know how Thais love to show off, and hate to be shamed.)

The city council here come around every year to give rabies shots, and they take every dog they see, not only the family pets. With this measure concern as a starting point, it can be expanded upon to start a program of sterilisation. This will slow down the dog population growth.

Anything is possible, and the 1000 mile journey begins with the first step.

For your information Bangkok City council has already implemented some laws on dog ownership. Compulsory registration, sterilization and chipping have been in effect for some years now. Pattaya City council too have implemented some regulations kif0815.jpg on dog ownership. Enforcement and compliance may not be anywhere near 100% but it is a start.

yes it is a start but who gives a <deleted>> about laws?.

In this case, dogs, anybody who owns a dog and takes care of it properly and has consideration of his/her neighbors. I.E. a civilized human being. The answer would not be 'nobody' in this case but at least one, me.

For your information Bangkok City council has already implemented some laws on dog ownership. Compulsory registration, sterilization and chipping have been in effect for some years now. Pattaya City council too have implemented some regulations kif0815.jpg on dog ownership. Enforcement and compliance may not be anywhere near 100% but it is a start.

It must be a joke. What's the point worrying about pets when there's thousand of dirty, infected dogs running around wild on the streets? That's where they need to start cleaning things up.

Edited by tropo

Stealing family pets is just too scummy for words.

Bastards.

They wouldn't need to steal family pets if they came to Pattaya. There's homeless (feral) dogs by the tonne on every street. Perhaps they're looking for more well feed dogs?

-Tropo-

I live in deepest rural Udon Thani province, close to Sakhon Nakhon province.

You long enough around in Thaivisa and should know how its running in Isaan.

The dogs had and have a home and sleep on my Gfs or her mothers land or in my kitchen with open door.

Most houses have no fence at least not one a dog cannot get over or threw it. Thai dogs jump over high walls without a problem.

If a car or stranger passes by, the dogs investigate, go to the street in front of the house, shout and just got taken away!

They are the dogs of my Thai family, the 20+ year boy goes hunting with them, rat, frog, snakes and lizard, whatever

and they

and most dogs of the small Village are used to roam free.

The families dogs between the ,mothers, brothers and my GFs home, only 200m apart.

We had with Keesters and others already, more than once a similar discussion.

Whatever you write, my opinion is, nobody has the right to come in the wee hours of the night dog snatching on the road in front of my Gfs house!

Everybody in the village knows which dog belongs to whom. There is no problem between the villagers!

But people, outsiders, come, to snatch dogs, to make a fast Baht! blink.png

-Tropo-

The dogs had and have a home and sleep on my Gfs or her mothers land or in my kitchen with open door.

Most houses have no fence at least not one a dog cannot get over or threw it. Thai dogs jump over high walls without a problem.

If a car or stranger passes by, the dogs investigate, go to the street in front of the house, shout and just got taken away!

They are the dogs of my Thai family, the 20+ year boy goes hunting with them, rat, frog, snakes and lizard, whatever

and they

The families dogs between the ,mothers, brothers and my GFs home, only 200m apart.

Whatever you write, my opinion is, nobody has the right to come in the wee hours of the night dog snatching on the road in front of my Gfs house!

Everybody in the village knows which dog belongs to whom. There is no problem between the villagers!

Thanks for that insight into the deep Udon Thani provincial life.

I live in a tourist zone. We have dozens of dogs living on the street here. No one snatches them. They are fed by the local Thais though. They seem to have a good life. There's a lot of places for them to breed because there's a lot of vacant, overgrown lots. There's also a huge park area nearby where hundreds of these dogs breed.

As a contrast.... I can give you insight into rural Philippines though -

If your dog roams out of the gate it's going to end up on someone's dinner plate - and fast. If your dog roams it's unlikely you'll ever see it again.

There are no Soi dogs in the Philippines. My wife's family pet dog got run over a while back. Someone quickly came along and offered 200 baht for the carcass.

I haven't figured out it it's poverty or love of dog meat. A lot of people in these communities are very hungry. I suspect it could be a bit of both. My wife's brother cooks dog when he's short on cash and wants to have his friends around for drinks. It's better value for money than pork, beef or chicken. I'll have to ask him about it.

Edited by tropo

-Tropo-

and they

Thanks for that insight into the deep Udon Thani provincial life.

I live in a tourist zone. We have dozens of dogs living on the street here. No one snatches them. They are fed by the local Thais though. They seem to have a good life. There's a lot of places for them to breed because there's a lot of vacant, overgrown lots. There's also a huge park area nearby where hundreds of these dogs breed.

As a contrast.... I can give you insight into rural Philippines though -

If your dog roams out of the gate it's going to end up on someone's dinner plate - and fast. If your dog roams it's unlikely you'll ever see it again.

There are no Soi dogs in the Philippines. My wife's family pet dog got run over a while back. Someone quickly came along and offered 200 baht for the carcass.

I haven't figured out it it's poverty or love of dog meat. A lot of people in these communities are very hungry. I suspect it could be a bit of both. My wife's brother cooks dog when he's short on cash and wants to have his friends around for drinks. It's better value for money than pork, beef or chicken. I'll have to ask him about it.

I think taste has a lot to do with it. When in University, the local, upscale Chinese restaurant was closed by the Health Dept. for a month because they found the skins of six dogs in the dumpster. They were not selling it but for the owners and Chinese staff to eat. In China it is called 'fragrant meat'. The French eat horses which many consider to be pets. I grew up in the Deep South eating rabbit and squirrel which many think is disgusting. I request people to not judge societies that are not their own. One man's pet is another man's dinner. It's a big world and not everybody thinks like you do.

• Like 1

The French eat horses which many consider to be pets. I grew up in the Deep South eating rabbit and squirrel which many think is disgusting. I request people to not judge societies that are not their own. One man's pet is another man's dinner. It's a big world and not everybody thinks like you do.

We eat horse-meatloaf in Austria, rabbit to.

But same somebody wrote in this thread, the connection, between dog and people is a special one,

than after a long pause its the connection with horses.

However, =not everybody thinks like you do.=

Stealing and snatching dogs from the front porch, same thieves, is not OK! Everybody, should think like that ! whistling.gif

• Like 1

They could gladly come to Hua Hin and clean out all the Soi dogs around my house. It's so bad some times I have to carry a stick walking down the road.

Oh no....I can hear the bleeding hearts already. coffee1.gif

If it's that bad get a condo??? no dogs--and the book in your name---killing 2 birds with 1 stone----Yes your right it's NOT my business.

SO NOW IT'S OK TO KILL BIRDS?

-Tropo-

and they

Yes we discussed it before and my opinion remains the same. Any dog that you call your own should remain on your property and NOT roam around freely on public land, urinating and defecating. Urban or Rural the system should be the same. Anything less is not being responsible and considerate to your animals or your neighbors.

Some people go hunting for dogs. If it is on public land then they should be free to do so just as you hunt rats, frogs, snakes and lizards.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

It must be a joke. What's the point worrying about pets when there's thousand of dirty, infected dogs running around wild on the streets? That's where they need to start cleaning things up.
Because you have to start somewhere.

Have you ever seen a truck full of pigs being transported to the slaughter-house in Thailand ?

Exactly the same, but nobody bothers.

Dogs, pigs, cows, they should all be treated a bit better, no questions asked !!

But if there is a market in Vietnam for dog meat, just breed them and sell them, why not ?

Why is it OK for cows, pigs, ostriches or even crocodiles to be slaughtered and eaten, but not for dogs.

The way most dogs are treated in Thailand, they would be better of on a farm being fed to be slaughtered anyhow.

• Like 1

Yes we discussed it before and my opinion remains the same. Any dog that you call your own should remain on your property and NOT roam around freely on public land, urinating and defecating. Urban or Rural the system should be the same. Anything less is not being responsible and considerate to your animals or your neighbors.

Some people go hunting for dogs. If it is on public land then they should be free to do so just as you hunt rats, frogs, snakes and lizards.

My dogs?

In Udon Thani province, I take care the families dogs with food, water, shelter and affection. I have no own dogs here.

All my own dogs I had in Chayaphum, died from old age/sickness.

As long as the community in my rural Village, with enough space to urinate and defecate for the roaming dogs, in 10 years there,

I saw not one dog poop! is feeling ok, with the current situation, please no hard feelings, we do without your advice and rules. tongue.png

Never heard in 23 years Thailand that somebody went hunting for dogs, same way the people hunt rats, frogs, snakes and lizards where please?

".....on public land then they should be free to do so just as you hunt rats, frogs, snakes and lizards.

Sure not widespread must be a very local phenomenon. tongue.png

I happy the people you "address", do not hunt on public land on the main road in the middle of my small Village, in front of my house with muzzle loaders . blink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

My dogs?

In Udon Thani province, I take care the families dogs with food, water, shelter and affection. I have no own dogs here.

All my own dogs I had in Chayaphum, died from old age/sickness.

As long as the community in my rural Village, with enough space to urinate and defecate for the roaming dogs, in 10 years there,

I saw not one dog poop! is feeling ok, with the current situation, please no hard feelings, we do without your advice and rules. tongue.png

Never heard in 23 years Thailand that somebody went hunting for dogs, same way the people hunt rats, frogs, snakes and lizards where please?

".....on public land then they should be free to do so just as you hunt rats, frogs, snakes and lizards.

Sure not widespread must be a very local phenomenon. tongue.png

I happy the people you "address", do not hunt on public land on the main road in the middle of my small Village, in front of my house with muzzle loaders . blink.png

Estimated 200,000 stray dogs per year rounded up for the meat trade. That is hunting. My opinion will not change over dogs on public land. If you give food, water, shelter and affection then you are good as an owner of the dog. If hunting for a snake, frog, lizard on public land is OK then hunting for a dog is also. Any of those snakes, frogs or lizards may also be owned, yet you feel it OK to hunt them. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

Australian laws for domestic dogs would be most welcome here. Please import that one.biggrin.png

You think you can pick only the raisins out of a country's tight restricted system. wink.png

Like Thailand is any less restricted.

It's only corruption and greed that makes it appear that way.

Estimated 200,000 stray dogs per year rounded up for the meat trade. That is hunting. My opinion will not change over dogs on public land. If you give food, water, shelter and affection then you are good as an owner of the dog. If hunting for a snake, frog, lizard on public land is OK then hunting for a dog is also. Any of those snakes, frogs or lizards may also be owned, yet you feel it OK to hunt them. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

Dogs are captured, trapped, but "hunted"? No that is in my definition a different pair of shoes.

Wild boar hunt , fox Hunting, rat hunting. Yes and all done outside the village, not on the main road in the middle of the village.

But ok, you have your own, definitions.

Anyway, doing that "snatching" (hunting?) at 3:30 - 4 AM night, hiding, same thieves in the dark, in front of my GFs house

and her garden gate on the main village road,

I find not amusing !

As I wrote, its a relieve, they not use muzzle loaders, same at the Rat hunts, 15 meter from my bed! blink.png

However, after reading that, ".....Any of those snakes, frogs or lizards may also be owned,.......

I leave the "battle ground" emo78.gif

Reason, -unreasonable statements-. tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Dogs are captured, trapped, but "hunted"? No that is in my definition a different pair of shoes.

Wild boar hunt , fox Hunting, rat hunting. Yes and all done outside the village, not on the main road in the middle of the village.

But ok, you have your own, definitions.

Anyway, doing that "snatching" (hunting?) at 3:30 - 4 AM night, hiding, same thieves in the dark, in front of my GFs house

and her garden gate on the main village road,

I find not amusing !

As I wrote, its a relieve, they not use muzzle loaders, same at the Rat hunts, 15 meter from my bed! blink.png

However, after reading that, ".....Any of those snakes, frogs or lizards may also be owned,.......

I leave the "battle ground" emo78.gif

Reason, -unreasonable statements-. tongue.png

When it comes to unreasonable may I suggest you read some of your own posts as examples.

The pigs going to market never look all that comfortable either. Not sure if there are any rules regarding the transportation of lifestock in Thailand, but if there are, like most rules of the road (other than selt-belts and helmets) nothing is enforced.

To be honest, if you eat meat, you're being pretty hypocritical if you start complaining that eating pork and chicken is OK but dogs aren't.

But it should be regulated. Cruelty is the primary issue here. That I have a problem with. I should probably be a vegetarian, but I really like fish and chicken. My, my. I'm hypocritical too. whistling.gif Oh well.

...and, ahh errr ... BBQed baby-back spare ribs. <sigh>

Man, I'm hungry.

• Like 1