Thai Children Must Have Very Hard Heads.

mike123ca

So many times, I've seen adults not wear helmets when driving their scooters. That doesn't bother me

because they know if they go head first into the pavement what the consequences of their actions.

It's just that very young children also go about without a helmet. I wonder what the parents are

thinking when they take a baby on a scooter with no protection.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen both parents + a total of four children at once, driving in the middle of Bangkok traffic, shopping bags as well and mum on the mobile.

Same with the backs of pickups.

When you get down to it, lack of child safety seats, seatbelt laws in general, mandatory airbags.

So where do you draw the line?

Life is cheaper here. . .

But then they'd be doing something different from everyone else, and that's much worse than dying in a road accident.

Unless you're trying to live your life according to logical principles, but that's just not the Thai way is it.

Shit happens, and when it does it's a punishment for you having been a bad person before, if you're good you're invincible.

Plus you're just going to be reborn anyway. . .

Edited by PalMan
  • Like 2

Ah, the cultural superiority comes out. Much of our awareness for road safety has come from 40+ years of public education. Thailand has barely started down that road.

I'm frankly amazed when I go to Europe or the US and see people riding bicycles without helmets. Why? They've been compulsory in Australia for 25 years.

• Like 2

There have been public uprisings in the US against these safety laws, demanding the right to drive a car without seat belts, ride a moto without a helmet.

And I completely agree, nanny state nonsense, we completely overvalue human life in the west.

Some have lost their lives in such protests, due to accidents where they would have survived if they'd been obeying the laws they were protesting. Darwin's law at work, the way it should be. . .

Edited by PalMan
  • Like 1

Ah, the cultural superiority comes out. Much of our awareness for road safety has come from 40+ years of public education. Thailand has barely started down that road.

I'm frankly amazed when I go to Europe or the US and see people riding bicycles without helmets. Why? They've been compulsory in Australia for 25 years.

We Dutch just bike better as those Ozzies. Helmets on bikes is for old people.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

But the people that matter in this country don't put their kids at risk like this, only poor people do, and nobody important cares about them. There's no incentive to try to pass such an unpopular law.

What you think, it's the government's role to look out for the public interest? This is Thailand or did you forget? People only work for the government in order to enrich themselves.

And human life just isn't that important! Let's leave a few places on the planet where stupid people are free to crack their heads OK?

We Dutch just bike better as those Ozzies. Helmets on bikes is for old people.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To add to that if your going on a fast bike and going crazy fast.. sure or if your doing mountain biking.. but just going to the supermarket 500 meter or 2 km from your home.. crazy. I am happy they don't do it in the Netherlands. A while back a few helmet manufacturers tried to push for a law to get old people to wear them. It will never pass people should take their own responsibility at times and for stuff like this most are wise enough to decide for themselves.

Plus most Dutch learn to ride a bike real young, we masters at it there are more bikes as people in my country.

• Like 2

Plus most Dutch learn to ride a bike real young, we masters at it there are more bikes as people in my country.

Plus actually encouraging bike usage for commuting, especially designing the urban streetscapes properly for bike safety.

Most of our communities "back homes" are designed as if they assume the private auto is the only decent mode of transport and will continue to be possible into the far future.

Plus actually encouraging bike usage for commuting, especially designing the urban streetscapes properly for bike safety.

Most of our communities "back homes" are designed as if they assume the private auto is the only decent mode of transport and will continue to be possible into the far future.

Sure there are many lanes just for bikes and bike safety is something that is thought of when constructing roads and such.

Anyway I liked what you said about own responsibility I would still wear seatbelts even if it was not mandatory. I have been in an accident and they saved my live, even before that I knew it was a good thing to wear.

I also wear my motorbike helmet here in Thailand even though its just a small fine. But I know im dead if I get hit and I dont.

But a helmet for a bike back in the Netherlands.. no way never ever. Not on the safe bike lanes back home and the normal traffic. If it were unsafe id rather decide myself what to wear.

I remember some 20 odd years ago in Germany, driving back to the firm after delivering furniture all day, drove through massive congestion and past an accident, someone had come off their motorbike on the autobahn slid right under the crash barrier and was laid in the middle of the fast lane on the opposite side, his helmet however didnt fit under the barrier and was still stuck there, with his head in it, still makes me shudder when i remember that !!

Personally i always wear a seatbelt when i drive, its the law here in scotland and nowadays its second nature

I don't think I would like to live in a place where you have to wear a bicycle helmet. I like a place where the government is not in control of everything. Some people like it, but then again some people still live with their parents when thay are 35 years old.

• Like 1

I don't think I would like to live in a place where you have to wear a bicycle helmet. I like a place where the government is not in control of everything. Some people like it, but then again some people still live with their parents when thay are 35 years old.

Better leave Thailand then, cos it's supposed to be the case here.

Somewhere in the west, there is a billionaire being driven by a hired ex-SAS member in his armoured limousine, wondering how anyone can think of carting their kids around town in a mini-van.

Thai parents love their kids, just like western parents. As arthurwait implies, if they could afford a vehicle with seating and seat belts for each passenger, that's what they would buy.

Do a little math and figure out how you'd clothe, feed and get your family around town on 300 baht per day.

To suggest that they just don't care is a little arrogant.

The truth is between the two extremes. I certainly agree with your last line but economics does NOT explain all of it. Proof?

Take a look around: of new cars and/or expensive cars how many do you see with kids buckled into car seats as opposed to roaming around the car, standing up on a front seat, or even sitting on a driver's lap.

And when I didn't have a car but had a small child I took a song taew to the market if my kid was with me rather than a motorcycle taxi which would be so much faster. At that market I see people with small kids, or even babies, on motorcycles, every day.

There have been public uprisings in the US against these safety laws, demanding the right to drive a car without seat belts, ride a moto without a helmet.

And I completely agree, nanny state nonsense, we completely overvalue human life in the west.

Some have lost their lives in such protests, due to accidents where they would have survived if they'd been obeying the laws they were protesting. Darwin's law at work, the way it should be. . .

I used to feel the same way as I don't seek laws protecting myself from myself.

My feelings changed after reading an article by a neurological surgeon talking about the brain injuries she'd dealt with at taxpayers expense. That's right, if someone want to injure his or her self, I say go for it but not on my dime.

but does the awareness come from 40 years of public education or because of the possible consequences of not following the rules of the road ie fines/being banned/ points on your license...are people in the west following the rules because its the right thing to do or because they have to ?

the true measure of whether its 40 years of education is to put the same people in an enviroment where there are no consequences in terms of fines/points/banning and see what happens..do they still follow the rules or not...and based on what have seen in Thailand over the years have seen plenty of people who have have had the benefit of public education doing exactly the same as " Thai's"...therefore one could conclude its not the education which "drives" people but rather than the possible consequences in terms of fines/banning etc...

Maybe.

I think for most the education is enough - espeically if it is done in a confrontational and realistic way like the Transport Accident Commission does in Victoria. It has to, as enforcement is never going to catch everyone.

Of course enforcement has to be there, but I think there is alot to be said about changing the mentality and driving culture. You go to Malaysia and the coppers are just as dirty, but people drive alot more sanely. So it al can't be the threat of a fine.

Somewhere in the west, there is a billionaire being driven by a hired ex-SAS member in his armoured limousine, wondering how anyone can think of carting their kids around town in a mini-van.

Thai parents love their kids, just like western parents. As arthurwait implies, if they could afford a vehicle with seating and seat belts for each passenger, that's what they would buy.

Do a little math and figure out how you'd clothe, feed and get your family around town on 300 baht per day.

To suggest that they just don't care is a little arrogant.

Well, if they can afford a 50.000 Baht motorbike, iguess they can also afford a 150 Baht helmet. Not ?

Yes I agree with the above plus that when you buy a motorbike most if not all come with 2 free helmuts. So no excuse.

I recently bought two new helmuts as I wanted to have better quality ones.

Rather than throw out the old ones which were only about 7 months old, my wife went round the village to give them to families who she thought could use them. 2 hours later came back with one of them.

She stated that all families have them already but not use them!!!

I would hazzard a guess that at least one member of each house in the village has at some time been fined for not wearing a hat when they are stopped at check points in the nearest towns. But does this make a difference? NO

So those who go on about the cost, that is rubbish. It is a lack of common sense and 'finger up' against the law.

• Like 2