Pig Farmers In Thailand Up In Arms Over U S Pressure

webfact

Pig farmers up in arms over US pressure
The Nation

BANGKOK: - Members of the Swine Raisers Association of Thailand and other concerned parties are considering marching to Government House in protest against US pressure on Thailand to open up its market to US pork and offal.

Surachai Sutthitham, president of the association, yesterday said pig farmers nationwide would write to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra asking the government for protection measures against attempts to export US pork products to the Kingdom.

Through the US Embassy in Bangkok, agencies representing that country's farmers and exporters have recently sought to pressure the government to open up the market to their pork and offal goods.

The move has raised an alarm bell among Thai pig raisers, as the US government subsidises its farmers to strengthen their export competitiveness, which means they can impose lower retail prices than local producers in overseas markets are able to do.

"The raising of pigs is an important occupation in Thailand, and one that has upgraded the standard of living of farmers for decades. Farmers are now also able to produce high-quality meat to serve domestic demand, and they sometimes face oversupply," Surachai said.

He argued that if the government allowed the United States to access the Thai market, it would result in a serious oversupply situation and bring down domestic prices. This in turn would force Thai farmers to shut down operations, as they would not be able to shoulder big losses.

Vietnam, the Philippines and Taiwan have already opened up their markets for US pork, which is priced much lower than local production and has pulled farm-gate prices down to an average of Bt50 per kilogram, he said.

As a result, many farmers in the three countries are facing bankruptcy as their main source of income dries up, he added.

He said that besides Washington's export-subsidy policy strengthening its farmers' international competitiveness, the United States would also export the unwanted parts of its pigs, such as the head, feet and offal.

Moreover, the use of chemicals such as ractopamine and carbadox - fed to pigs to turn their meat into a redder product - is allowed by the US government, whereas such use is prohibited in Thailand, Surachai said.

"The import of US pork would confuse Thai consumers, as they would not be able separate Thai products from US pork, which would result in a high health risk due to the use of these chemicals," he insisted.

Moscow does not permit the sale of US pork, despite Russia's high growth in pork consumption. Moscow's policy is based on the need to ensure food safety and people's health, Surachai said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-21

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done the whole pig farming lark for 5 years, basically to help a Thai family become self sufficient. There is money to be made but only if the meat price is in your favour, if the price was to become as low as 50baht there would be lot's of small farms go out of business as at that price you would only get the feed price back.

I suppose it's a free world to trade but it would put many out of business, not the larger outfits but the family farmers.

Yes and no subsidies for pig farmers, yet.

• Like 1

How about other countries ban Thai pork and see how these folks like it.   Price of bacon in Thailand is a joke, actually Thai bacon is full of water and really sucks. 

Where I get my Bacon it's not full of water.. but then I get mine from a British master butcher here in Thailand. Pm if you want details.

He also does sausages and pies :D

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 2

I have done the whole pig farming lark for 5 years, basically to help a Thai family become self sufficient. There is money to be made but only if the meat price is in your favour, if the price was to become as low as 50baht there would be lot's of small farms go out of business as at that price you would only get the feed price back.

I suppose it's a free world to trade but it would put many out of business, not the larger outfits but the family farmers.

perhaps the feed price is too high - a price adjustment has a ripple effect right down the supply chain and so it should

as for US pork - I would prefer not to eating that with the included chemicals - why on earth do they continue to allow it ?????

• Like 2

perhaps the feed price is too high - a price adjustment has a ripple effect right down the supply chain and so it should

as for US pork - I would prefer not to eating that with the included chemicals - why on earth do they continue to allow it ?????

You start the pigs off on bought mix, to give them the required start, as it contains all a the antibodies for a piglet to grow. Then it is broken rice and ram sourced from the smaller millers as it's cheaper. If you were to raise a pig on bought bags of food you would make a loss full stop. You are definately right about feed price there is no profit margin whatsoever.

It's really puzzling how US pork could be cheaper than Thai pork in the supermarket. What we really need is an investigative article examining the gouging in the Thai pork distribution market channels. That's what makes Thai pork higher, the gouging and the skim in the middle.

Massive subsidies.

• Like 1

You don't think they use chemicals here? They do, and many are banned in other places around the world.

I don't think the U.S is to concerned about Thai pig farmers, they couldn't care less if they put them out of business totally as it means more money and wealth for the U.S at the expense of of the little countries. It is all about greed and the dollar.

Shocking really. Thank goodness Thailand has such concern for the welfare of Americans...THEY certainly would never do anything that would adversely affect someone else even if it meant profit for them.

• Like 1