Pig Farmers In Thailand Up In Arms Over U S Pressure

webfact

So how about Thailand refuse US pork

and how about US refuse to import Thai shrimp

If one country uses protectionism the other country will do so

Moscow does not permit the sale of US pork, despite Russia's high growth in pork consumption. Moscow's policy is based on the need to ensure food safety and people's health, Surachai said.

And that's the real point, corruption in the USA allows poisons to be fed to their people.

Shameful!!! Keep it out of here!!!

The Thai’s never use chemicals or drugs to improve the sale of their produce! Some short memoires on here, shell fish banned by EU a couple of years ago that let in the Vietnamese.

Chemically induced early ripening of fruit in the north that caused a very big explosion, that highlighted this practice.

Get real folks they all do it.

I remember when Thailand was allowed to enter the WTO, several Thai’s telling me how great it would be for Thailand and how they would rule the world as everyone would buy their products.

Well welcome to the real world Thailand and a taste of what is to come when you enter ASEAN

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moscow does not permit the sale of US pork, despite Russia's high growth in pork consumption. Moscow's policy is based on the need to ensure food safety and people's health, Surachai said.

And that's the real point, corruption in the USA allows poisons to be fed to their people.

The Thais never use chemicals or drugs to improve the sale of their produce! Some short memoires on here, shell fish banned by EU a couple of years ago that let in the Vietnamese.

Chemically induced early ripening of fruit in the north that caused a very big explosion, that highlighted this practice.

I remember when Thailand was allowed to enter the WTO, several Thais telling me how great it would be for Thailand and how they would rule the world as everyone would buy their products.

Well welcome to the real world Thailand and a taste of what is to come when you enter ASEAN

Cp employs an army of vetinarians who are supposed to manage what inputs the farmers use. Everything is provided from them.

They use whatever they are legally allowed to do so.

piss off America send your pork to Afganistan,times are very hard here for farmers as it is ,a lot of local farmers have gone out of business already attachicon.gif

But Yingluk's Gov't promised all the farmers would be rich.

The Thais never use chemicals or drugs to improve the sale of their produce! Some short memoires on here, shell fish banned by EU a couple of years ago that let in the Vietnamese.

I remember when Thailand was allowed to enter the WTO, several Thais telling me how great it would be for Thailand and how they would rule the world as everyone would buy their products.

Cp employs an army of vetinarians who are supposed to manage what inputs the farmers use. Everything is provided from them.

And we all know how the legal system works here.

• Like 2

American bacon compared to Aussie Bacon. I know what I prefer. The Thais would do well to reject the American pork. Full of fat and a heart attack waiting to happen. The Americans have shoved KFC and Macca's into the faces of Thais all for the dollar with total disregard for thier health. Thailand reject American food.....

I am pretty sure in some rankings the Aussies are even more obese per capita that the Americans now. Can't imagine that is much to brag about exporting.

I do like that New Zealand/AU Grass fed beef because its the only choice in Thailand. Would be nice if US, Canadian, Uruguay, Argentina could get their product here also.

Would be a nice competition to have

That Aussie bacon does look good. Different cut all together. American bacon uses the belly. What cut is the Aussie Bacon?

It's a shame CP arn't into Tuna fishing.

ANFACO-CECOPESCA, a private organization of 210 Spanish seafood processors, called on the EU to get stricter with both Thai tuna processors and the country’s health authorities, after they found out that the EU rejected Thai canned tuna imports 17 times in the last 8 months. The organization also said the EU should de-list Thai factories that have been found to be in breach of EU sanitary regulations.

This was November 2012

Edited by paulmw

For those who have a real interest in comparing Thai vs US pork prices, google is your friend. Halion's last sentence *98 will give you a clue. Thailand lacks competation in many areas and where there is competation, price collusion is a major factor to consider.

As far as the farm price supports in the US, there seems to be few who realize how it works, the benifits and to whom, cost to the taxpayer, etc of the programs. And there are many. One of things that many programs do have in common is the farm products used to ensure that millions of the people of the US and other countries of the world have staples at an afforable price (free). Some people even suggest that these programs have made the US farmer more competative, price wise, and increased production which results in a lower unit price to the consumer.

So far the Thai farm programs, and yes they have and have had many have displayed little benifit to the general population, while contributing to the vast wealth of a few, who have put no effort into them, other than counting their ill gotten gains.

Well lets thank America for being the worlds food bowl, without them we would all starve. Come on the world doesn't really on America for it's food.

I know America is wondeful and the very best in everything, geez they even have the best wild Kangaroos in the world.

We we are kind of partial to the jackasses who seem to come out of the bush.. Course a lot seem to lack English reading/comprehension skills but we can usually find a fitting place for them and no government progtam involved.

• Like 1

And we all know how the legal system works here.

Well they supply just about every continent, so they can't have pork supply for Europe and another for USA.

I was fortunate (ok that is real debatable-but I did have enough working brain cells to get the hell out of there) to have been raised in SE Texas in the 1950's/'60's which was well behind the rest of the country (and still is). When I spent summers up at my grandparent's home in deep East Texas it was more like the '30/40's. The phone was a crank it up and ask Mable to connect you. There was no hot water, a couple of free standing gas heaters, an ice box, not a refrigerator, certainly no tv. There was still a crank up Victrola. Although my grandfather had retired (farmer, teacher, County Judge) he still had a garden containing most of the vegetables needed, chickens (damn I hated that roster), bee hives. Beef and pork was bought at the local market. There were no preservatives, no antibiotics etc. in them and it was damn good. Slab bacon thick sliced as needed, fresh eggs, made from scratch biscuits, fresh honey, fried chicken on sunday. Yea, I was young and everything was better then because that is the way our brain works, but still even considering that, no comparison to what 'food' has become in the states over the last 50 years. My grandfather lived to be a bit over 100 (telegram from LBJ on his b-day), grandmother around 90, mom and dad right at 90. I won't but still my health is pretty damn good all things considering. Thai food is going, rapidly, the way of the western world, but in general I'd rather eat the food here, not the processed kind, than just about anything imported from the states. Pork here is as good as I have ever tasted, steak....well I have on occasion found some that was pretty good. Bacon, hard to find good bacon and harder still to find a restaurant that cooks it, wife does a good job.

Personally, I like to see US pork kept out and McBarfs, etc. sent packing.

A bit about the Thai rice, some years back there was an article here about Jasmine rice being patented. I told my rice farmer friends back in SE Tex. about it, they just laughed. They had already been growing it for over 20 years.

• Like 1

My pork comes from the local market and the lady gets it direct from the farm a bit further along the road.

As for ham and bacon I make my own.

I ask for thew whole hind leg, deboned and detrotterd and the last one cost me about 840 baht and from that I made about 4 kg of ham and 2 1/2 kg of bacon.

I don't know what went into the pig but I do know and control the ham and bacon and MY bacon has no water or chemical presative and DOESN'T shrink in the pan.

Lunch today was a freshly made bread roll, salted butter from Makro and home made pate made with pigs liver, belly pork and home made bacon.

No wonder the belly in your avatar is so big.

American bacon compared to Aussie Bacon. I know what I prefer. The Thais would do well to reject the American pork. Full of fat and a heart attack waiting to happen. The Americans have shoved KFC and Macca's into the faces of Thais all for the dollar with total disregard for thier health. Thailand reject American food.....

Two different cuts thats why they don't look the same, UK first streaky bacon cheaper cut, second back bacon more expensive but great.

The Americans have shoved KFC and Macca's into the faces of Thais all for the dollar with total disregard for thier health. Thailand reject American food.....

How do "the Americans" do that? Just curious. Especially given that the franchises are owned by Thais and the Thais seem to quite willingly consume their fare...

ETA: Personally I've never been one of those paternalistic types who thinks of Thais as helpless victims of the pernicious White Man's evil ways; I have enough respect for them to believe they are capable of making their own choices - even ones those that many of us might think unwise - just as Australians or Americans do. (Obviously they are influenced by foreign cultures and products - welcome to the real world where no country lives in isolation or maintains completed indigenous purity. And just as the Thais would do given the chance, their are foriegn businesses trying to sell things to Thais whose motives are - shockingly - not to improve the welfare of the Thais but to make money. But again, it's up to them to separate the wheat from the chaff and they will muddle along doing so just our countries did and do.)

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

I have no idea why the US would want to import pork into Thailand. Thailand charges such outrageous import duties that I don't see how it would sell to any but the wealthy.

The US doesn't charge import duties and this is one reason why so many countries dump into the US. This alone allows China to exist. This is why consumer goods are so much cheaper in the US than in most developed countries. The US is promoting "free trade."

But other countries tax the chit out of US exports, making it harder for the US to compete.

I wish the US would throw a 35% import duty on every.single.item. coming in from offshore. That would shut China clear down and level the playing field with other countries. It would also balance the US budget and then some.

F Thailand. Who needs their filthy shrimp or fish or anything else they can export?

And anyone who actually believes there are dangerous chemicals in US meat needs to actually A: Read the links and B: Really think about the filthy handling of Thai meat from farm to consumer.

The US needs to get protectionist and stop being a dumping ground. It actually doesn't need anyone else. It has everything it needs including oil, seas, fishing, farmland, water...

• Like 1

I have no idea why the US would want to import pork into Thailand. Thailand charges such outrageous import duties that I don't see how it would sell to any but the wealthy.

The US doesn't charge import duties and this is one reason why so many countries dump into the US. This alone allows China to exist. This is why consumer goods are so much cheaper in the US than in most developed countries. The US is promoting "free trade."

But other countries tax the chit out of US exports, making it harder for the US to compete.

I wish the US would throw a 35% import duty on every.single.item. coming in from offshore. That would shut China clear down and level the playing field with other countries. It would also balance the US budget and then some.

F Thailand. Who needs their filthy shrimp or fish or anything else they can export?

And anyone who actually believes there are dangerous chemicals in US meat needs to actually A: Read the links and B: Really think about the filthy handling of Thai meat from farm to consumer.

The US needs to get protectionist and stop being a dumping ground. It actually doesn't need anyone else. It has everything it needs including oil, seas, fishing, farmland, water...

I think it would be cured type products.. Long shelf life and processing value add. Hickory smoked blah blah.

No way importing fresh pork. Lunacy. Perhaps some frozen parts but I doubt that will be desirable.

What the animal eats is definitely important.

Would be interesting if there was eco minded farm in CM that sold beef, goat, sheep, swine.

I think it would be cured type products.. Long shelf life and processing value add. Hickory smoked blah blah.

No way importing fresh pork. Lunacy. Perhaps some frozen parts but I doubt that will be desirable.

Would be interesting if there was eco minded farm in CM that sold beef, goat, sheep, swine.

The Thais are allowed to use so many chemicals in their fields that are outlawed in the West it's staggering. I hate to eat food when I'm in Thailand but of course I have to. There are no standards enforced for the handling of animals from butchering to the market. There are no standards for what kind of poisons are on the feed they eat. I wonder about Thai seafood being full of mercury and other poisons as Asian countries dump their garbage into the ocean.

China is the biggest polluter of all simply because they are big, but Thailand is just as bad on its smaller scale. Filthy coal generation pollutes the atmosphere for all of us. The technology is there to burn cleanly.

Seriously. I wish the US would put a 35% tariff on everything imported. That would seriously cause manufacturing to increase in the US and kill off China.

If anyone thinks that food is safer in Asia than it is in any developed country he's influence by wishful thinking. Asia lacks the prohibition of certain chemicals and has little in the way of meat handling regulations, at least any that are enforced. Even Canada's beef was banned in the US for a time due to a disease that wasn't Canada's fault. No one knows where it came from in this day of international trade. It might have even gotten into Canada from the US from imported beef, but the US contained it.

Canada and the US can trace any beef to the actual cow it came from. Right to the ranch that produced it. Then whole herds are slaughtered and buried. This is a fact. Can Thailand do that? Haha.

As China flexes its muscles using money it gets from the West, and flexes them over Asian countries and tries to threaten the West, It would be easy to put them back to the stone age with heavy import tariffs which would then encourage manufacturing in the West.

Their stuff, and much of what comes out of developing Asia isn't safe anyway.

Well, I don't care, the US may not produce good pork, but those boys sure know how to cook it !!! Buy your ingredients and get ready for the weekend smile.png

It's silly to think that the US or Canada or other developed countries including Australia don't produce good pork. The quality of feed used and the animal breeding science makes Thai pork seem like junk, just like their beef (yuck.) That's not to mention the unregulated, filthy handling of it from farm to market.

Each culture may have a different idea of what makes good bacon or a good breakfast, but the food is safe to eat, and is good in the eyes of each culture.

That picture of BBQ will even vary in the US. Texas and surrounds like a more vinegar taste, and the South likes a sweeter taste with less vinegar and more sweetener in the form of honey, brown sugar, etc. One is called Texas style and one is often called Memphis (South) style.

But it's all really good. Some of the best BBQ I've had is in Canada. They sure know how to raise beef and cook it.

I've never had good beef of any kind in Thailand even thought I've ordered and paid a big price for it.

• Like 1

The Thais are allowed to use so many chemicals in their fields that are outlawed in the West it's staggering. I hate to eat food when I'm in Thailand but of course I have to. There are no standards enforced for the handling of animals from butchering to the market. There are no standards for what kind of poisons are on the feed they eat. I wonder about Thai seafood being full of mercury and other poisons as Asian countries dump their garbage into the ocean.

China is the biggest polluter of all simply because they are big, but Thailand is just as bad on its smaller scale. Filthy coal generation pollutes the atmosphere for all of us. The technology is there to burn cleanly.

Seriously. I wish the US would put a 35% tariff on everything imported. That would seriously cause manufacturing to increase in the US and kill off China.

If anyone thinks that food is safer in Asia than it is in any developed country he's influence by wishful thinking. Asia lacks the prohibition of certain chemicals and has little in the way of meat handling regulations, at least any that are enforced. Even Canada's beef was banned in the US for a time due to a disease that wasn't Canada's fault. No one knows where it came from in this day of international trade. It might have even gotten into Canada from the US from imported beef, but the US contained it.

Canada and the US can trace any beef to the actual cow it came from. Right to the ranch that produced it. Then whole herds are slaughtered and buried. This is a fact. Can Thailand do that? Haha.

As China flexes its muscles using money it gets from the West, and flexes them over Asian countries and tries to threaten the West, It would be easy to put them back to the stone age with heavy import tariffs which would then encourage manufacturing in the West.

Their stuff, and much of what comes out of developing Asia isn't safe anyway.

You think the food buyers from the USA don't visit and audit the food processors in Thailand?

The Thai farmers have every right to be concerned. The US is excellent at this trick. First, the US trade organizations pressure foreign countries to open up their markets to US (agricultural) exports. Then, if local farmers band together politically to have trade barriers erected, and the country in question has already signed free-trade agreements with the US (which many foreign countries have in one of many roundabout ways), the US takes that country before the WTO to have penalties assessed. The problem is two-fold: (1) it is entirely hypocritical to subsidize your industries and then punish other countries, in the name of "free-trade", for imposing tariffs and (2) consumers (way outnumbering farmers) have everything to gain by having cheaper foods at their disposal. For this reason, it is politically dicey to disallow the US access to Thai markets, as consumers want the short-term benefits of cheaper goods all while ignoring the long-term costs of funneling profits and industrial might to the US. It might be tempting to jump to the support of Thai farmers willy-nilly, but the fact is that many are uncompetitive and offer the consumer a lower-quality product at higher prices. You can't stop change. You can slow it down, but eventually economies that are more flexible (i.e. more dynamic and less-concered with the health of vested interests) will win out.

Moreover, the use of chemicals such as ractopamine and carbadox - fed to
pigs to turn their meat into a redder product - is allowed by the US
government, whereas such use is prohibited in Thailand, Surachai said.

"The import of US pork would confuse Thai consumers, as they would not
be able separate Thai products from US pork, which would result in a
high health risk due to the use of these chemicals," he insisted.

Moscow does not permit the sale of US pork, despite Russia's high growth
in pork consumption. Moscow's policy is based on the need to ensure
food safety and people's health, Surachai said.

My understanding of the situation regarding these chemicals is that they are "unofficially" in use in nearly every country mentioned in the article. There was big uproar in Taiwan in the last couple of years as this exact same situation occurred there. Angry Taiwanese farmers and those representing them began to exploit the chemicals-in-the-meat talking point as a way of trying to sway public opinion in the debate. Ultimately, the farmers lost out, as the public was largely apathetic towards heir plight. The interesting thing was, though, that the very same chemicals had long been used by Taiwanese farmers themselves. In other words, this chemicals-are-bad argument is cynical and fundamentally aimed at exciting the fears and anxieties of consumers.

Edited by Unkomoncents

Better accept the steroids antibiotics filled corn tasting american pig (pun intendet). Added value would be shop us pork so you can skip the trip to the pharmacy.

Otherwise chanse of foreign aided military-coup with speculations of weapons of mass destruction might lead to ...spreading freedombah.gifWPFflags.gif

The Thai farmers have every right to be concerned. The US is excellent at this trick. First, the US trade organizations pressure foreign countries to open up their markets to US (agricultural) exports. Then, if local farmers band together politically to have trade barriers erected, and the country in question has already signed free-trade agreements with the US (which many foreign countries have in one of many roundabout ways), the US takes that country before the WTO to have penalties assessed. The problem is two-fold: (1) it is entirely hypocritical to subsidize your industries and then punish other countries, in the name of "free-trade", for imposing tariffs and (2) consumers (way outnumbering farmers) have everything to gain by having cheaper foods at their disposal. For this reason, it is politically dicey to disallow the US access to Thai markets, as consumers want the short-term benefits of cheaper goods all while ignoring the long-term costs of funneling profits and industrial might to the US. It might be tempting to jump to the support of Thai farmers willy-nilly, but the fact is that many are uncompetitive and offer the consumer a lower-quality product at higher prices. You can't stop change. You can slow it down, but eventually economies that are more flexible (i.e. more dynamic and less-concered with the health of vested interests) will win out.

Moreover, the use of chemicals such as ractopamine and carbadox - fed to

pigs to turn their meat into a redder product - is allowed by the US

government, whereas such use is prohibited in Thailand, Surachai said.

"The import of US pork would confuse Thai consumers, as they would not

be able separate Thai products from US pork, which would result in a

high health risk due to the use of these chemicals," he insisted.

Moscow does not permit the sale of US pork, despite Russia's high growth

in pork consumption. Moscow's policy is based on the need to ensure

food safety and people's health, Surachai said.

My understanding of the situation regarding these chemicals is that they are "unofficially" in use in nearly every country mentioned in the article. There was big uproar in Taiwan in the last couple of years as this exact same situation occurred there. Angry Taiwanese farmers and those representing them began to exploit the chemicals-in-the-meat talking point as a way of trying to sway public opinion in the debate. Ultimately, the farmers lost out, as the public was largely apathetic towards heir plight. The interesting thing was, though, that the very same chemicals had long been used by Taiwanese farmers themselves. In other words, this chemicals-are-bad argument is cynical and fundamentally aimed at exciting the fears and anxieties of consumers.

So ban taiwanese pork too.

Hang on a minute - The US subsidies its farmers - Never see that happening in Thailand

Thailand sell shrimp to America no problem How about rice

But America sell pork to Thailand NO NO No

Wake up Harry! Not only is US pork production heavily subsidised, but they use dangerous chemicals which are banned in Europe & England...............Eat it if you like Harry, but i don't want to be poisoned.

You have no idea <deleted> your talking about another AH on TF !

Hang on a minute - The US subsidies its farmers - Never see that happening in Thailand

Thailand sell shrimp to America no problem How about rice

But America sell pork to Thailand NO NO No

Wake up Harry! Not only is US pork production heavily subsidised, but they use dangerous chemicals which are banned in Europe & England...............Eat it if you like Harry, but i don't want to be poisoned.

You have no idea <deleted> your talking about another AH on TF !

Yeah, I'd like to see his links, including the ones which show that other countries don't use any claimed items. I'd also like to see his links to how "dangerous" such items are. I'd also like to see his pork subsidy links.

The duties are so high on anything coming into Thailand that I don't think Thai farmers have anything to worry about, selling their filthy, unregulated crap in the local markets where you flip a coin guessing whether it will make you sick.

• Like 2

How about other countries ban Thai pork and see how these folks like it. Price of bacon in Thailand is a joke, actually Thai bacon is full of water and really sucks.

I was going to say the same thing here. How about the US ban all Thai products and see how that sucks. And your right, Thai bacon, ham and sausage really sucks.. They have no flavor. How in the heck can you mess up bacon? or ham or sausage.. well sausage I can see, about the only people who can really make good sausage are the Germans. But heck, Jimmy Dean does a good job. thumbsup.gif

Thai pork is both fresher and better tasting than American pork and is not full of chemicals like American pork.

You have obviously never been to a Thai Pork Farm. Just take one look at the water they drink that is polluted with Diesel fuel leaking from the family truck, the garbage pile next to the feed bin. You don't have to feed them any chemicals, they get it naturally through all the trash and waste sitting on the side of the road or pumped into the drinking pond from the toilet the entire 20 person family uses not to mention shower water and other waste... smile.png Guarantee those combinations of chemicals are far far worse than the chemicals being spoke of here which by the way are NOT 100% used throughout the entire pork industry in the USA. You can purchase pork and other meat and vegetables that are not treated with anything.

Besides, if the chemicals that are being discussed here are illegal in Thailand than it's Thailand Import / Customs that will not allow the meat into the country because it doesn't conform to Thai Health Law. So in effect the USA couldn't export chemically treated meat to Thailand, USA Customs wouldn't even allow it to be exported smile.png - - - Of course that is never stated here nor on the news channels. Sure the checks are random and generally done in both countries, exporter and importer but not much ever gets through the system because the company that shipped in the bad meat not meeting code is generally banned from ever exporting meat to the country again. Not a price an exporter wants to pay so they generally do the right thing and ship the correct product.

You see it's really simple, but here we are the smoke and mirrors of news and politicians.... LOL

As I said earlier on in a post I helped a family pig farm,so visited well over ten farms, Pig farms are dirty by nature but no chemicals will be in the water there usually storage tanks at height or bore holes so fresh water.

There are very few vets around and if a pig is sick it's immediately isolated and injected antibiotics,the antibiotics clear the body in days. It only takes one complaint from a neighbour to close these places down so they tend to be well cleaned.